or Connect
Mothering › Mothering Forums › Mom › Parenting › Special Needs Parenting › Sudden Tics in 2 year old-- please help
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Sudden Tics in 2 year old-- please help - Page 2

post #21 of 32
I'm really glad the eyeblinking has dramatically improved. I tend to think that you should either follow-up with the opthamologist or find another one who more greatly inspires your trust.

I see two main possibilities: something with his eyes, which can really be a bunch of things even though allergies are the most likely, or the tic suddenly subsided at the same time. How long has it been going on? 4 to 8 weeks is a common duration, but they can be shorter. Usually something my son does every day lasts the full 6-8 week period that is usual for him.

Both of these should be a relief to you, though, IMO. It makes seizures much less likely. At some point it would probably make sense to stop the eye drops as a trial, but after discussing with the doctor. If it is environmental allergies you may want to see an allergist (or not, it may not be essential as it's not life-threatening or something you would want to do shots for). But at some point you may want to do a more thorough check--is there an irritant affecting his eyes? Does he produce enough tear fluid? Is he allergic to something you can reduce, like mites? (Those pillow covers can really make a big difference).

Sherri
post #22 of 32
Thread Starter 
I'm resurrecting this thread I started several months back to see if any of you can offer some insight about what could be going on.

DS's eye-blinking tic, that started late December 2007 (see orginal post), ended after about 1-2 months (interestingly right after we gave him eye drops for allergies). Then about two months later he started a throat-clearing tic -- occuring every minute or so. That probably lasted a month or two, then disappeared. Then just a few weeks ago (the NIGHT I went into labor with his baby sister), the eye-blinking tic started up again, just as frequent and strong as the first time (every few seconds).

I thought maybe the eye blinking was just allergies, but now I am back to thinking it's TS or OCD or who knows what? I'm really concerned about DS in general right now because he is having a hard time with all that's been going on (we recently moved and then had another baby). He has been exhibiting a lot of angry behavior, both physical and verbally.

To top it off, he's got this really weird rash that we suspect is from some type of insect in our new house that we can't seem to find! I don't know if any of these things could have sparked the tic to start again or if it would have happened anyway. But I'm feeling a lot of guilt, especially because I no longer have the time, with a new baby, to give him the attention he needs and was used to getting.
post #23 of 32
I know that this is going to sound out in left field but I would insist on a strep test for your son. I say this because two of my boys started with a blinking tic and when I brought them to the ped he said that one of the very weird symptoms of a strep infection can be a blinking eye tic, it turned out that my boys did have strep but had never complained of a sore throat or any other illness. At the time we decided that we would treat the strep without abx as my children have all had very extreme reactions to abx, it was successful and i have seen no more tics. Another friend had a similar experience though she tool her son into the ER for a earache and sore throat that he was screaming with, the ER doc noticed the tic and tested for strep, it was positive and after the abx the tic disappeared and has not been seen since.

What really stood out to me was that he has a rash now and that can be another symptom of strep, it would not strictly have to be strep in the throat, it could be that he is sensitive to strep and any major contact with it (though strep is everywhere, in some people a small colony of strep can be more of a problem than for other people.) could elicit a reaction. I would also be thinking of an allergy to outdoor issues, my dh is currently having breathing issues at night and we have surmised that though he does have allergies all of the time, the added weight of the outdoor allergens increasing is making it harder for him to deal.

I hope that this helps, I am not a doctor so I cannot say for sure what is going on with your son, but we are in the midst of a years long fight to find what is going on with our son and the biggest revelations have come from someone mentioning their own experiences.
laura
post #24 of 32
I think a visit with a good neurologist is still important! Best wishes to you and your son as you figure out what's going on.
post #25 of 32
My nephew had a very severe blinking tic that progressed to include shoulder shrugs and grunts. Doc dxed him with Tourette's. SIL took him to a homeopath. She gave him a single pill and said it would get better before it got worse and told them to come back in 3 weeks. Nephew's tics got worse and then the day before the follow-up appointment stopped altogether. He was 4 or 5 at the time.

About 6 months or a year later the blinking started coming back. The homeopath again gave a single pill and it went away again. Now he gets one pill a year or so and that keeps it at bay. He's 10 now.

This thread is extra interesting to me because my 3.5 year old has just developed a minor blinking tic in the last few weeks. Our doc isn't concerned but I'm definitely keeping an eye on it.
post #26 of 32
If it is allergies, why couldn't it be acting up again? My allergies come and go and bother both my throat and my eyes. Do you still have the eye drops you could try again?
post #27 of 32
I think it is really starting to sound like transient tics. About 10 % of kids have them. At this point, it doesn't sound like enough for a Tourette's dx, but that doesn't mean he won't someday meet the criteria. But honestly, tics are only a problem if they are a problem. The ones you describe do not usually cause people problems in school or self-consciousness. Interestingly, some time after your initial posts, my son with Tourette's developed that same sort of scrunching up the eyes tic you described.

I'd actually second the strep test for the rash + tics--double that if he's got any sudden appearance of ocd like issues. While I think that tics are most likely, it may be good to get some general allergy testing done? Have you changed detergents recently or has he had a virus before the rash? My kids have both gotten viral hives, and they can look like bug bites.

Please don't blame yourself. The relationship between anxiety and tics is a complicated one (especially since Tourette's is an ocd-spectrum disorder), and some people's tics worsen when they are anxious, but for people with tics, tics come and go regardless of what is going on. Looking for a psychological reason for something that has a neurological rather than a psychosocial cause can lead to much parental misery and feelings of inadequacy. Take my advice and don't spend a lot of time there.

Oh, and if it is some sort of ongoing tic disorder like Tourette's, the tics most often get more frequent through middle childhood and then drop back some time during adolescence, often going away entirely or close to it. There's a quote I read once about the fact that since tic disorders are a disorder of childhood, the important thing for people to do is to see that the child feels okay with that phase of their lives.

Sherri


Sherri
post #28 of 32
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by purplepaisleymama View Post
I know that this is going to sound out in left field but I would insist on a strep test for your son. I say this because two of my boys started with a blinking tic and when I brought them to the ped he said that one of the very weird symptoms of a strep infection can be a blinking eye tic, it turned out that my boys did have strep but had never complained of a sore throat or any other illness. At the time we decided that we would treat the strep without abx as my children have all had very extreme reactions to abx, it was successful and i have seen no more tics. Another friend had a similar experience though she tool her son into the ER for a earache and sore throat that he was screaming with, the ER doc noticed the tic and tested for strep, it was positive and after the abx the tic disappeared and has not been seen since.

What really stood out to me was that he has a rash now and that can be another symptom of strep, it would not strictly have to be strep in the throat, it could be that he is sensitive to strep and any major contact with it (though strep is everywhere, in some people a small colony of strep can be more of a problem than for other people.) could elicit a reaction. I would also be thinking of an allergy to outdoor issues, my dh is currently having breathing issues at night and we have surmised that though he does have allergies all of the time, the added weight of the outdoor allergens increasing is making it harder for him to deal.

I hope that this helps, I am not a doctor so I cannot say for sure what is going on with your son, but we are in the midst of a years long fight to find what is going on with our son and the biggest revelations have come from someone mentioning their own experiences.
laura
Laura - thanks for sharing this information. I will look into strep. But do you think that he could have had strep for this long? His eye-blinking started Dec. 07 and has stopped/started again over the year with a throat-clearing tic in between. Also, his rash is not really a rash but truly more like insect bites. Comes and in spots over his body, not an all-over sort of rash. And I've gotten them, too.
post #29 of 32
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohannasGarden View Post
I think it is really starting to sound like transient tics. About 10 % of kids have them. At this point, it doesn't sound like enough for a Tourette's dx, but that doesn't mean he won't someday meet the criteria. But honestly, tics are only a problem if they are a problem. The ones you describe do not usually cause people problems in school or self-consciousness. Interestingly, some time after your initial posts, my son with Tourette's developed that same sort of scrunching up the eyes tic you described.

I'd actually second the strep test for the rash + tics--double that if he's got any sudden appearance of ocd like issues. While I think that tics are most likely, it may be good to get some general allergy testing done? Have you changed detergents recently or has he had a virus before the rash? My kids have both gotten viral hives, and they can look like bug bites.

Please don't blame yourself. The relationship between anxiety and tics is a complicated one (especially since Tourette's is an ocd-spectrum disorder), and some people's tics worsen when they are anxious, but for people with tics, tics come and go regardless of what is going on. Looking for a psychological reason for something that has a neurological rather than a psychosocial cause can lead to much parental misery and feelings of inadequacy. Take my advice and don't spend a lot of time there.

Oh, and if it is some sort of ongoing tic disorder like Tourette's, the tics most often get more frequent through middle childhood and then drop back some time during adolescence, often going away entirely or close to it. There's a quote I read once about the fact that since tic disorders are a disorder of childhood, the important thing for people to do is to see that the child feels okay with that phase of their lives.

Sherri


Sherri
Thanks for all your advice and information, especially about parent-guilt! The doc thought, after talking with me over the phone, that it might be viral hives, but ruled it out after seeing DS in person. She, and two other peds in her practice, all seem to think they are honest-to-goodness bug bites. But still we have found no bugs and have had two exterminators come take a look as well! My gut tells me the itchy bites are probably a separate issue from the tics.

I do think DS is anxious and certainly very sensitive. He feels things very deeply. He is especially anxious about his toys (losing them, sharing them), much more so than most kids. When he is into something, he is REALLY into it, day and night for months at a time (first cars, then bugs, then sea animals, now back to cars) and does not usually play with much else. He will often cry and panic if we tell him it's lunch time or bath time because it means he has to stop plaything with his toys -- and he loves baths once he is in the tub. But how do you tell if he has OCD?
post #30 of 32
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahmck View Post
My nephew had a very severe blinking tic that progressed to include shoulder shrugs and grunts. Doc dxed him with Tourette's. SIL took him to a homeopath. She gave him a single pill and said it would get better before it got worse and told them to come back in 3 weeks. Nephew's tics got worse and then the day before the follow-up appointment stopped altogether. He was 4 or 5 at the time.

About 6 months or a year later the blinking started coming back. The homeopath again gave a single pill and it went away again. Now he gets one pill a year or so and that keeps it at bay. He's 10 now.

This thread is extra interesting to me because my 3.5 year old has just developed a minor blinking tic in the last few weeks. Our doc isn't concerned but I'm definitely keeping an eye on it.
That's interesting about your nephew's tics. Do you know the name of the pill he is taking to help control them?
post #31 of 32


So it sounds like you didn't take him to see a pediatric neurologist the first time? If not, I would really suggest that you make it a priority this time around (along with the other good suggestions by pp). It sounds like this is not something that is just going to go away, even if it seems to do so temporarily. I wish you and your son all the best- I really hope you are able to get the help he needs.
post #32 of 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaKalena View Post
That's interesting about your nephew's tics. Do you know the name of the pill he is taking to help control them?
I believe she said the remedy was called (or abbreviated) carc. I might be remembering that incorrectly. But the key here is that it would likely be a different remedy for a different child.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Special Needs Parenting
Mothering › Mothering Forums › Mom › Parenting › Special Needs Parenting › Sudden Tics in 2 year old-- please help