or Connect
Mothering › Mothering Forums › Mom › Parenting › Looking for Mommas with ADD/ADHD...
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Looking for Mommas with ADD/ADHD... - Page 11

post #201 of 582
Thread Starter 
Oh, Honeydee!! A woman after my own heart! At least you did something nice for your cats!

I have had this exact problem, as in, "OK, I have this huge chunk of time, and ten things to do, where do I start?" and I end up getting nothing done. Or at least not enough to justify the time I spent!



I have actually done some laundry today, and while the boys are asleep, I need to write thank you cards. So what do I do? I sit down at the computer to see how everyone else is doing!


Oh, my. . . well, off I go then!
post #202 of 582
Hmmm.... I think I might belong here.

Not diagnosed, but WOW do I get what you're saying. Just yesterday, I had an important meeting at 6. I spent the whole week whining about it because yesterday was DH's birthday, and it meant we couldn't go out to dinner - that I'd have to cook.

So DH gets home, we start putzing around, and I say "hey, we've got all this time now! Dinner won't be ready until 7:30, let's go do something!"........... and miss the meeting.

Unreal.

I also constantly forget things, and am on the anxiety side of this - I'll freak out about something for a long time, and instead of getting things done I'll just obsess.

I'm going to finish reading everything. I'm very interested in vitamins/supplements. How did you guys figure out what this was?
post #203 of 582
Hey there Sara!

Well, I can completely relate to your post.

How did I figure out how I had this and what exactly it was? Well, it all began with this thread that I started last year.

http://www.mothering.com/discussions...d.php?t=827848

This was the start of me seeking a diagnosis. The funny thing is, I had never really considered it seriously until I spoke to my therapist about it. I told her that I had read Driven to Distraction so I could learn how to deal with my DH (who has ADD) and when I went through the checklist of symptoms and stuff I think I could answer yes to about 90% of them. So I said to her, "You know, I don't know if I buy it. I mean, doesn't everyone operate this way?" And she stifled a giggle and said, "Nope."

OH. And the lightbulb went on and the door opened to the wonderful world of "what do I do with myself now that I have learned that the executive centers of my brain don't work right?"
post #204 of 582
Wow, honeydee. We're kindred spirits.

Here's a list off one of the sites I googled after reading your post.

Some symptoms of ADHD but not commonly described in articles about ADHD include:

* Hypersensitivity to noise, touch, and smell
* Low feeling of self-worth
* Easily overwhelmed
* Hypersensitive to criticism
* Poor sense of time – often runs late
* Starts projects but can’t seem to finish them
* Takes on too much
* Difficulty remembering names
* Says things without thinking, often hurting others’ feelings
* Appears self-absorbed
* Poor math and/or writing skills
* Doesn’t seem to hear what others are saying
* Addictive behaviors: shopping, eating
* Problems with word retrieval
* Poor handwriting
* Difficulty with boring, repetitive tasks
* Thinks things over and over
* Difficulty making decisions
* Clumsy, poor coordination
* Tires easily or conversely, can’t sit still
* Has problems falling asleep and difficulty waking up the next morning

DEFINITELY that last one. Which is why it's 11 and I'm still up.
post #205 of 582
Quote:
Originally Posted by smeisnotapirate View Post
Wow, honeydee. We're kindred spirits.

Here's a list off one of the sites I googled after reading your post.

Some symptoms of ADHD but not commonly described in articles about ADHD include:

* Hypersensitivity to noise, touch, and smell
* Low feeling of self-worth
* Easily overwhelmed
* Hypersensitive to criticism
* Poor sense of time – often runs late
* Starts projects but can’t seem to finish them
* Takes on too much
* Difficulty remembering names
* Says things without thinking, often hurting others’ feelings
* Appears self-absorbed
* Poor math and/or writing skills
* Doesn’t seem to hear what others are saying
* Addictive behaviors: shopping, eating
* Problems with word retrieval
* Poor handwriting
* Difficulty with boring, repetitive tasks
* Thinks things over and over
* Difficulty making decisions
* Clumsy, poor coordination
* Tires easily or conversely, can’t sit still
* Has problems falling asleep and difficulty waking up the next morning

DEFINITELY that last one. Which is why it's 11 and I'm still up.
You know, there's a Nocturnal Mama's Tribe around here too. You could always check that out as well . BTW, where did you come up with your user name?

Oh! Word retrieval! I forgot about that. I'd like to think that I am an articulate person, but I cannot make the thought and my hand/mouth connect. It's really weird. My thoughts, especially on something intellectual are crystal clear, but to get them out of my head is pointless sometimes. I will rarely post anything in debate form in Politics because I know what I want to say but I cannot articulate it. I feel like there is a brick right in the center of my forehead when I need to say something.

I can't sit still either.

You know what would be funny? To see what would happen if all of us were in the same room together. We would probably invent a revolutionary idea that the world has never heard of before but walk out completely bruised from walking into each other so much because we can't sit still.
post #206 of 582
Quote:
Originally Posted by honeydee View Post
You know, there's a Nocturnal Mama's Tribe around here too. You could always check that out as well . BTW, where did you come up with your user name?

Oh! Word retrieval! I forgot about that. I'd like to think that I am an articulate person, but I cannot make the thought and my hand/mouth connect. It's really weird. My thoughts, especially on something intellectual are crystal clear, but to get them out of my head is pointless sometimes. I will rarely post anything in debate form in Politics because I know what I want to say but I cannot articulate it. I feel like there is a brick right in the center of my forehead when I need to say something.

I can't sit still either.

You know what would be funny? To see what would happen if all of us were in the same room together. We would probably invent a revolutionary idea that the world has never heard of before but walk out completely bruised from walking into each other so much because we can't sit still.
Gee, honeydee, THANKS. Give me YET ANOTHER reason to be addicted to MDC. Have you seen my join date and post count? And I've had at least 2 jobs at the same time, was pregnant, and now have a baby and am STILL posting here.

I used to walk down the hallways in high school reading a book and never run into anyone. In normal life? BAM! BANG! I swear, all our animals say to themselves "Uh oh, that little owner is up again! Get out of the way!" They watch me like a hawk.

Oh man, I just go down in flames over in Politics, but I can't help myself. I can't tell you how many threads have been closed because I've said something, people have picked things apart, and it's become a total flame-war. And I'm on the sidelines going "wait! not what i meant! aack!"

Oh, my username? Long story, actually. My nickname in high school was SMO. I had an LLBean backpack with my initials monogrammed across the back - SMO. It stuck through college, and when I got married, DH (to be a butt-head ) started calling me SME. You know - like the pirate from Hook? Smee? So I came up with smeisnotaipirate. Can we say crazy connections? Everything in my life has a weird, convoluted story like that.

I do that stuff all the time. DH's AIM name, which I picked out, is organeiser. Our last name is "Eiser" and he plays the organ. So he's an organeiser. Organizer.
post #207 of 582
Quote:
Originally Posted by smeisnotapirate View Post

I used to walk down the hallways in high school reading a book and never run into anyone. In normal life? BAM! BANG! I swear, all our animals say to themselves "Uh oh, that little owner is up again! Get out of the way!" They watch me like a hawk.

Oh man, I just go down in flames over in Politics, but I can't help myself. I can't tell you how many threads have been closed because I've said something, people have picked things apart, and it's become a total flame-war. And I'm on the sidelines going "wait! not what i meant! aack!"
Oh my god, I think you are my twin.

I walk into stuff all the time. I step on my cats, my toddler (well they're underfoot I can't help it). I hurt myself on a regular basis. I hurt others on a regular basis. I have no spatial awareness at all. I suggested to my husband that he wear a cup when he's around me .

Do you ever feel like you could just : people all the time in Politics because they said it so much better than you could ever dream of? I do.
post #208 of 582
Quote:
Originally Posted by honeydee View Post
Oh my god, I think you are my twin.

I walk into stuff all the time. I step on my cats, my toddler (well they're underfoot I can't help it). I hurt myself on a regular basis. I hurt others on a regular basis. I have no spatial awareness at all. I suggested to my husband that he wear a cup when he's around me .

Do you ever feel like you could just : people all the time in Politics because they said it so much better than you could ever dream of? I do.
Oh, absolutely.

I am SO enjoying this thread. This really makes me feel so... ok about myself. The cheer and camaraderie is great.

ETA: I've been wondering if I've got PPD recently. It makes a LOT of sense within ADD now.
post #209 of 582
Quote:
Originally Posted by smeisnotapirate View Post
Oh, absolutely.

I am SO enjoying this thread. This really makes me feel so... ok about myself. The cheer and camaraderie is great.

ETA: I've been wondering if I've got PPD recently. It makes a LOT of sense within ADD now.

Oh, I'm so glad you found us! It's so nice to fit in somewhere, YK?

I'd look into the PPD thing for sure. I noticed that the ADHD stuff I had going on just seemed completely out of control around 3 months post partum with my last baby. That is when I seriously started wondering WTH was up with me. Those hormones will make you nuts.

Well, good night everyone. I'm going to attempt sleeping now.
post #210 of 582
honeydee, yes. That's about when it all came to a head. DH came home one day and I shoved the baby into his arms (screaming, of course) and just rocked myself in the corner of our bedroom. I'm usually so rock-steady that these feelings of utter lack of control are just so strange. Ugh. That means I need to find a doctor.

You guys were talking about births, etc, a little while back. I had a birth worse than my "worst fear" birth I had to write out in my birthing class. I don't feel like looking it up now, but it's in the birth stories under "Tobias Benjamin" if you're interested. Luckily, it hasn't affected my bonding with him - he's such a sweet and special little guy.

I think that's what this PPD or whatever is from, and I'm wondering if it's aggravating the ADD. Stress just makes things worse for me, and I've noticed that since Toby was born, I don't sleep well, sleep for long periods of time and don't feel rested, forget more appointments, and my number 1 problem - I obsess about how much time I have left to do stuff, and it'll be 10am and I have to be at a meeting at 3pm, and I'll start freaking out that I can't start anything because I won't have time to finish before I have to go. Little things, like laundry or cleaning the bathroom.

heidirk, are you in my neck of the woods? I totally forgot if it was you or someone else. If so, let me know if you need help with your LO.
post #211 of 582
You two are too funny! Sara, I love your screenname, for some reason it always makes me smile. Heidi's in PA. Why did I think you were in Israel, Sara?

Honeydee, how's your LO? You were in the May '07 DDC, weren't you?

I'd much rather sit here on MDC on my couch than clean.
post #212 of 582
Quote:
Originally Posted by smeisnotapirate View Post
honeydee, yes. That's about when it all came to a head. DH came home one day and I shoved the baby into his arms (screaming, of course) and just rocked myself in the corner of our bedroom. I'm usually so rock-steady that these feelings of utter lack of control are just so strange. Ugh. That means I need to find a doctor.

You guys were talking about births, etc, a little while back. I had a birth worse than my "worst fear" birth I had to write out in my birthing class. I don't feel like looking it up now, but it's in the birth stories under "Tobias Benjamin" if you're interested. Luckily, it hasn't affected my bonding with him - he's such a sweet and special little guy.

I think that's what this PPD or whatever is from, and I'm wondering if it's aggravating the ADD. Stress just makes things worse for me, and I've noticed that since Toby was born, I don't sleep well, sleep for long periods of time and don't feel rested, forget more appointments, and my number 1 problem - I obsess about how much time I have left to do stuff, and it'll be 10am and I have to be at a meeting at 3pm, and I'll start freaking out that I can't start anything because I won't have time to finish before I have to go. Little things, like laundry or cleaning the bathroom.

heidirk, are you in my neck of the woods? I totally forgot if it was you or someone else. If so, let me know if you need help with your LO.
Yeah, that sounds about right. PPD aggravating the ADD and vice versa. There is a lot of good info on the Post Partum board here if you haven't been there already. A lot of people recommend fish oil capsules and Rescue Remedy to help brain function and take the edge off the anxiety. Calcium/Magnesium supplements will help with your sleep issues.

Yeah, I freak if I only have a certain amount of time to get things done. I work at night a couple times a week and if I have to leave for work at 4 I will not start anything, even if I get up early. It's like if I don't have a day off I won't do it. Ugh.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Maggirayne View Post
You two are too funny! Sara, I love your screenname, for some reason it always makes me smile. Heidi's in PA. Why did I think you were in Israel, Sara?

Honeydee, how's your LO? You were in the May '07 DDC, weren't you?

I'd much rather sit here on MDC on my couch than clean.
Yup! She is fine. My toddler is as sweet as pie but has no concept of physical limitations and boundaries. I think she is actually trying to kill herself. It freaks me out because her big sister was the exact opposite (attitude but very cautious). She is running me ragged. But oh my she is so cute.

How is yours? I never really kept up very well with the threads in Life with a Babe.
post #213 of 582
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maggirayne View Post
You two are too funny! Sara, I love your screenname, for some reason it always makes me smile. Heidi's in PA. Why did I think you were in Israel, Sara?

Honeydee, how's your LO? You were in the May '07 DDC, weren't you?

I'd much rather sit here on MDC on my couch than clean.
Oh man, I WISH I was in Israel. *sigh* Maybe someday. You probably thought that because I'm over on the Jewish mamas thread, and always talking about "OMG, Israel, I lovz Israel, OMG."

Glad you like the SN!

I knew she was in PA! Wow, my memory is amazing sometimes. Can't remember what I had for lunch, but I remember heidirk is in PA.
post #214 of 582
Thread Starter 
That's funny becaus eI was just thinking about the random way things connect in my mind. I can't remember the way to the birth center, but I can remember gory details from Hen's birth over 2 years ago!!


Welcome Sarah! We're collecting quite the little folowing here, aren't we? The more of us there are, the more normal we'll feel!

Sarah- I really think that having ADD or ADHD sets the stage for PPD in the first place. It's like the foundation isn't stable, so it sets us p for all sorts of different imbalances. I definately had PPD with Hen, but not, it seems this time around. It does help, having MDC, though, because if I'm dealing with something, chances are, someone else has here too.


Speaking of sensory issues, I need to go now, and file down the nails on my other hand. I can';t type with nails longer on one hand than the other, it's too distracting. Sigh. . .
post #215 of 582
Wow. I don't know if I have ADD, but I sure can relate to alot of what you guys are saying. I do, however, have a son with ADD, but the only reason I say that is 1. because of his behavior and 2. we took this test at the counselor's office and she said he had ADD, but the test was so stupid! He was five when we did it and it asked questions like if he had a hard time sitting still. Well...duuuuh. He's a five year old boy. What the hell? Of course he has a hard time sitting still! So I don't know. There's no way I'd ever ever medicate him because honestly I don't think that ADD is a disease. I think that everyone is different and some people are this way and some people are that way. I think that the reason they call this type of personality a 'disease' is because these are the people who don't fit into the mold of public schools. They don't do well sitting in chair and learning from a flat sheet of paper. We tried to teach my ADD son how to read by looking at the letters on paper and he would just bounce around and look at us like we were crazy. We would show him the same letter over and over again and he would get it the first three times and then forget. He was starting to feel really bad about himself and saying he was stupid BUT when we started to add movement into teaching him his letters he got it right away! I had him bounce on the trampoline and say the letter and the sound every time he bounced. We taped the flashcards onto the floor and him jump from card to card as he said the sound and letter. He soaked it all up! He learned so fast and he loved it.

I truly believe that if our public schools embraced these so called ADD kids and worked with their own individual learning styles, ADD would cease to be a problem and become a blessing. We need you ADD people. Y'all are great! How boring the world would be if everyone were quiet and still and disciplined. ADD makes the world a more enjoyable place.
post #216 of 582
Thread Starter 
There's definately something to be said for dynamic learning, isn't there!

And no, I do not consider ADD or ADHD to be a disease.

Good for you for finding a way to teach your son!
post #217 of 582
Kim, welcome, and what an awesome way to teach your son his letters! I remember learning the books of the Bible by doing a song with motions.

Yeah, that must be why, Sara. at the things that stick in memory!

ITA with ADD not a disease.

In other news, I am expecting a baby late May/early June. I plan on eating the placenta and see how that helps with the general brain fog. I didn't have PPD, but I have a day or two a month that I just get down, and it's not fun. I drive DH nuts and depress him too. Heh, now there's a new 'treatment' for ADD--placenta! I'm a little amazed that Pharma isn't jumping onto getting placentas, I don't think I've heard a single story where it didn't help. But then who wants pharma commandeering their placentas. Of course who knows, they whisk them away at the hospital. And I've read something of people suspecting of hospitals just taking the cord blood and that being the reason for immediate clamping. I've also read about how the sac is great for putting on burms. Our bodies are so amazing!

Okay, now I sound like a conspiracy theorist. And don't you love the wonderful examples of an ADD mind going from announcing my pregnancy to being a conspiracy theorist? I love my brain!
post #218 of 582
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maggirayne View Post
Kim, welcome, and what an awesome way to teach your son his letters! I remember learning the books of the Bible by doing a song with motions.

Yeah, that must be why, Sara. at the things that stick in memory!

ITA with ADD not a disease.

In other news, I am expecting a baby late May/early June. I plan on eating the placenta and see how that helps with the general brain fog. I didn't have PPD, but I have a day or two a month that I just get down, and it's not fun. I drive DH nuts and depress him too. Heh, now there's a new 'treatment' for ADD--placenta! I'm a little amazed that Pharma isn't jumping onto getting placentas, I don't think I've heard a single story where it didn't help. But then who wants pharma commandeering their placentas. Of course who knows, they whisk them away at the hospital. And I've read something of people suspecting of hospitals just taking the cord blood and that being the reason for immediate clamping. I've also read about how the sac is great for putting on burms. Our bodies are so amazing!

Okay, now I sound like a conspiracy theorist. And don't you love the wonderful examples of an ADD mind going from announcing my pregnancy to being a conspiracy theorist? I love my brain!
:

Congrats!!!!! I was due with Toby on May 31 and he came around on June 4. Great time to be born!

:

I was supposed to have a birth center waterbirth - ended up in the hospital with an emergency c : meaning no placenta. I was totally going to encapsulate and everything, so it's ironic about the PPD.

Let us know if you need anything as you go forward. You getting sick?
post #219 of 582
Ugh, yes. nauseous most of the time. I eat all the time so that keeps me form puking, but egh, finding something that sounds good every hour! Heh, those are my dates, if you figure 266 days for pg. Elisabeth was born on May 4th, so that would be fun!

Ugh, I'm sorry. I bet that was hard. We're planning on a homebirth. So far two of the 3 midwives I've talked to can't. I'm not stressing--yet. I said, "Well, if #3 can't then our only option is to UC." DH said, "The hospital." He can go have a baby in the hospital.

I wish somebody lived closer, it would be fun to hang out with you all.
post #220 of 582
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maggirayne View Post
Ugh, yes. nauseous most of the time. I eat all the time so that keeps me form puking, but egh, finding something that sounds good every hour! Heh, those are my dates, if you figure 266 days for pg. Elisabeth was born on May 4th, so that would be fun!

Ugh, I'm sorry. I bet that was hard. We're planning on a homebirth. So far two of the 3 midwives I've talked to can't. I'm not stressing--yet. I said, "Well, if #3 can't then our only option is to UC." DH said, "The hospital." He can go have a baby in the hospital.

I wish somebody lived closer, it would be fun to hang out with you all.
Did you have a c-sec? Is that the problem finding a mw?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Parenting
Mothering › Mothering Forums › Mom › Parenting › Looking for Mommas with ADD/ADHD...