or Connect
Mothering › Mothering Forums › Baby › Breastfeeding › Smoking weed and breastfeeding????
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Smoking weed and breastfeeding???? - Page 5

post #81 of 101
Don't you all just love drive-by posters -- those who aren't interested in actually entering the discussion or learning something (because of course they know it all already) but still wish to give us their opinion? I tell you, it is the highlight of my day to come here looking for some intelligent new thoughts and insights, only to have to read yet again, "I didn't read the rest of the thread but just wanted to say that smoking MJ is stupid." So much fun! So edifying! Thanks guys!
post #82 of 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by wannabe
Personally, I would be concerned because THC is stored in fat, and takes a LONG time, like months, to get out of your system. Hence any exposure, even if we don't know of any ill effects, is going to be long term.
As far as long term effects, I think there are a good number of twenty somethings out there whose hippie moms can provide evidence of positive effects!

Also, it does not take months to get out of your system. It takes about 2-3 weeks for regular users and even less for occasional use.
post #83 of 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by fourlittlebirds
Don't you all just love drive-by posters -- those who aren't interested in actually entering the discussion or learning something (because of course they know it all already) but still wish to give us their opinion? I tell you, it is the highlight of my day to come here looking for some intelligent new thoughts and insights, only to have to read yet again, "I didn't read the rest of the thread but just wanted to say that smoking MJ is stupid." So much fun! So edifying! Thanks guys!
Yes, you are correct. I do know it all already.

It is the highlight of my day as well to read of the many women who will go to whatever lengths necessary to engage in the vice of their choice. Even if that means harming their child in the process.

To all of the posters who think it is fine to get high while pregnant or nursing, I implore you: please, come back in 18 more years and post the results of your highly scientific experiments. I'll be anxious to hear how your children have turned out.

Excuses, excuses, excuses.

By the way, just because society frowns upon marijuana use, that shouldn't enter into the equation of why you take it when pregnant or nursing. Regardless of how society views it, it still is harmful. Especially to a child. So any arguments about the unjustness of society in relation to taking it are illogical. It would be like me believing that the sun revolves around the earth and being mad at society for saying that the earth travels around the sun instead. My feelings of anger at society still wouldn't change the fact that the earth does in fact revolve around the sun.

Logic, people. Logic.
post #84 of 101
HI!!

Just wanted to say that, if anyone wants to discuss Marijuana and Hemp, and their benefits and the benefits of legalization, there is a nice little thread in finding your tribe. But please remember, it is not a thread where we are debating anything, we are a pro legalization group of mammas and pappas who are not interested in debating our viewpoints, just wanting a safe and supportive place to discuss our support for the legalization of marijuanna and hemp (there are enough places on this forum for the debate of this subject....like this thread ).

So.....if any of you pro legalization mammas and pappas on this thread want to come and share we'd love to have ya!!
post #85 of 101
Quote:
If you cannot wait until you are done giving birth or nursing your child to get high, you have some serious issues. And having known plenty of pot smokers throughout the years, I can say with the utmost sincerity that of all the people I have ever known, they spend more time than anybody else trying to think of excuses for their actions.

Some of the people posting on here make Courtney Love -- who I've spent a long, long time talking with -- seem like a role-model mother. And in comparison, she is.

OK, lets be nice here and not get into the whole name calling/desparaging remarks situation that always throws threads like these into a downward spiral.

From what i've read, ms love is a drug addict, as in addicted to heroin and/or other hard drugs. Equating her with the mothers here who have acknowledged their use of marijuana is very disrespectful

And I'm, not sure of the marijuana users you know but most folks that use the herb believe in its benefits and feel no reason to justify their choices or make excuses for themselves unless challenged by someone else or if they are simply trying to get the word out of the documented benefits of this medicine.
post #86 of 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kristine
To all of the posters who think it is fine to get high while pregnant or nursing, I implore you: please, come back in 18 more years and post the results of your highly scientific experiments. I'll be anxious to hear how your children have turned out.

.
I wouldnt be so quick to imply that a person's child is going to turn out bad due to mj use or anything else for that matter. Many a ppl have led "socially upstanding" lives and have had tumultuous years w/thier children. I'd watch what you say, life has a way of coming back on you. By all means, express your opinion, you have every right to add your insights. Just scale back the snarkiness, k?
post #87 of 101
Kristine wrote: Anybody who chooses to take drugs of any kind while pregnant or nursing is a horribly selfish person. I don't care what the excuse for taking it happens to be, it is WRONG. You can try to justify it any way you want, but it still doesn't change the facts. If you are knowingly transmitting chemicals to a child who has no say in the matter, you don't deserve to keep your child.

You know what, you are so absolutely right. I just cannot believe the irresponsibility of this woman I know -- well, she used to be a "friend" but I really don't think I can be friends with her after what she's done -- she takes Tylenol for headaches and even gives it to her baby sometimes. And the other day she admitted to me that she had novocaine while having her root canal done. I am just shaking with outrage as I write this, it is so awful.

I know also that she gives her baby sips of fluoridated water sometimes, heck, she drinks gallons of it everyday herself, some must be getting through the breastmilk -- not to mention the half a glass of wine I know she occassionally consumes. I don't think there are any studies that show damage to breastfed babies from the mothers consuming small amounts of alcohol, but we all know studies can be twisted any way we want to, there is never any valid information in them anyway.

To her credit, she does buy some organic food, but not all, because -- get this -- she thinks they can't afford it. And she knows very well that non-organic food is filled with pesticides. I also asked her about their beds, she says they're just run-of-the-mill Beauty Rest or something, well you know they're filled with chemicals too, and she and her husband are so selfish they won't sacrifice and spend just a couple of months' paychecks to buy all natural and organic mattresses. I know they're poor, but damn, if they couldn't afford not to poison their children, they shouldn't have had any.

And here's probably the worst thing -- they drive a car. I tried to tell her about all the chemicals that get into her baby every time she starts up the engine, and she did say that she wasn't happy about it, but she still continues to drive anyway. I guess her convenience is more important to her than her baby's health.

Personally, I think her baby would be better off in a foster home. At least there I'm sure the baby would never be given Tylenol, that she'd be fed only organic food, that she'd breathe only filtered air and drink filtered water, and that she'd be given formula, the purity of which no mother's breastmilk can match. And I know only the best people are chosen to be foster parents, not selfish people like this woman.

Anybody know the number to social services?
post #88 of 101
Thanks for this thread, it is very interesting. I just don't understand how you can be avoiding chemicals during pregnancy and birth, researching vaccines and their potential effects, etc yet feel like it is acceptable to smoke pot when breastfeeding??? It simply doesn't make sense, can someone explain that to me? I would imagine there aren't many studies on the effects of pot on breastfed babies as attempting to get a few thousand mothers of breastfeeding infants to be recruited would be difficult....
post #89 of 101
"To all of the posters who think it is fine to get high while pregnant or nursing, I implore you: please, come back in 18 more years and post the results of your highly scientific experiments. I'll be anxious to hear how your children have turned out."

I want to point out that ingesting marijuana does not necessarily mean "getting high" any more than ingesting alcohol necessarily means "getting drunk".

As for adults whose mothers smoked while they were pregnant or nursing, I do know some, and I could tell you quite a bit about them. But somehow I doubt you'd consider my observations valid if they conflicted with your assumptions about the dangers of MJ. Because you're sure of its absolute danger, and you do know it all, so what's the point?

So I'm curious. Do you have children? Did you happen to use a computer while pregnant or nursing? Do you still use one in their presence? Because if so, you did and are exposing them to chemicals. Since you do know everything, I'm sure you've already made plans to throw your computer in the trash, and we won't be hearing anymore from you on the subject!
post #90 of 101
"Anybody who chooses to take drugs of any kind while pregnant or nursing is a horribly selfish person. I don't care what the excuse for taking it happens to be, it is WRONG. You can try to justify it any way you want, but it still doesn't change the facts. If you are knowingly transmitting chemicals to a child who has no say in the matter, you don't deserve to keep your child."

I just think this bears repeating, and you might want to post it in the "Birth and Beyond" forum as well. All kinds of drug-takers there.
post #91 of 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by fourlittlebirds
[/i]

You know what, you are so absolutely right. I just cannot believe the irresponsibility of this woman I know -- well, she used to be a "friend" but I really don't think I can be friends with her after what she's done -- she takes Tylenol for headaches and even gives it to her baby sometimes. And the other day she admitted to me that she had novocaine while having her root canal done. I am just shaking with outrage as I write this, it is so awful.

I know also that she gives her baby sips of fluoridated water sometimes, heck, she drinks gallons of it everyday herself, some must be getting through the breastmilk -- not to mention the half a glass of wine I know she occassionally consumes. I don't think there are any studies that show damage to breastfed babies from the mothers consuming small amounts of alcohol, but we all know studies can be twisted any way we want to, there is never any valid information in them anyway.

To her credit, she does buy some organic food, but not all, because -- get this -- she thinks they can't afford it. And she knows very well that non-organic food is filled with pesticides. I also asked her about their beds, she says they're just run-of-the-mill Beauty Rest or something, well you know they're filled with chemicals too, and she and her husband are so selfish they won't sacrifice and spend just a couple of months' paychecks to buy all natural and organic mattresses. I know they're poor, but damn, if they couldn't afford not to poison their children, they shouldn't have had any.

And here's probably the worst thing -- they drive a car. I tried to tell her about all the chemicals that get into her baby every time she starts up the engine, and she did say that she wasn't happy about it, but she still continues to drive anyway. I guess her convenience is more important to her than her baby's health.

Personally, I think her baby would be better off in a foster home. At least there I'm sure the baby would never be given Tylenol, that she'd be fed only organic food, that she'd breathe only filtered air and drink filtered water, and that she'd be given formula, the purity of which no mother's breastmilk can match. And I know only the best people are chosen to be foster parents, not selfish people like this woman.

Anybody know the number to social services?
Lady, your brain is not even close to functioning fully.

Cars are things that help when driving long distances. Yes, things that get you from one place to another. They have a function. A use. Comparing driving an automobile with smoking pot is the most inane comparison I have ever heard. No amount of logical argument will help somebody with your most decidedly non-mental prowess.

It all boils down to this: is smoking pot harmful?

Yes.

If smoking pot is harmful, you are harming your baby. End of story.
post #92 of 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by ruby slippers
Thanks for this thread, it is very interesting. I just don't understand how you can be avoiding chemicals during pregnancy and birth, researching vaccines and their potential effects, etc yet feel like it is acceptable to smoke pot when breastfeeding??? It simply doesn't make sense, can someone explain that to me? I would imagine there aren't many studies on the effects of pot on breastfed babies as attempting to get a few thousand mothers of breastfeeding infants to be recruited would be difficult....
Best post yet! It makes me happy to see a thinking person post this.

I shall now resume caring for my child and doing what is best for him, rather than giving in to my baser impulses. Something that apparently most on here feel is fine to do as long as it makes the mother feel good, even at her child's expense.

You may all carry on now with your highly intellectual debate.
post #93 of 101
I live in an area of NorCal where it is not at all uncommon for parents --- be they pregnant, bfing, homebirthing, epidural-lovin', church-going, PTC tresuring, off-the-grid, mini-van driving, metro-soccer-coaching, makin more than 100k, strugglin' with less than 18,000k, teaching in public school, SAHMing, vegan, walmart shopping addicts, dermatologists, crafty mamas, people who even voted for (horrors!) Bush . . . .and you know what? They smoke herb. Some occasionally, some daily.



Good people. Good kids. Honor roll kind of kids. Kids who get atheletic scholarships. Kids who go on to become just as wonderful and sucessful and productive and caring as their parents.

I know there are some parents who a poor examples to their kids - Yeah, Some smoke pot, some are sober, some a conservative, some are vegetarian, some make chronically bad decisions, some just . . . who knows?

Get worked up all you want about it . . . but if you really want to worry, worry about METH!!
post #94 of 101
We cannot control all the chemicals our children are exposed to. We live in a country where driving a car is a necessity. We are all using a computer. Taking drugs during a root canal or during surgery is so very different from sitting at home maybe listening to some music and not necassarily "getting high" but using for recreation AND breastfeeding. Without the breastfeeding, who cares what you put in your body but to expose a baby who doesn't get a say in this, seems intuitively wrong. Maybe my intuition is out.
post #95 of 101
I think a little meth every now again is fine, my kids do just great on it - it was the vaccines that poisoned them!!!
post #96 of 101
"Lady, your brain is not even close to functioning fully. [...] No amount of logical argument will help somebody with your most decidedly non-mental prowess."

How very impressive that the best response you can come up with is to attack me personally.

"Cars are things that help when driving long distances. Yes, things that get you from one place to another. They have a function. A use."

So if something is harmful but is useful, then it's okay? (Oh, and I'm aware of what cars are for, but thanks so much for clarifying!)

"Comparing driving an automobile with smoking pot is the most inane comparison I have ever heard."

They both expose one to chemicals, so it is reasonable to compare them. If the comparison ultimately fails, though, it is because car exhaust is far more dangerous to one's health than moderate consumption of marijuana.

"It all boils down to this: is smoking pot harmful? Yes."

How about ingesting it in other ways? Proof?
post #97 of 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by fourlittlebirds
"Lady, your brain is not even close to functioning fully. [...] No amount of logical argument will help somebody with your most decidedly non-mental prowess."

How very impressive that the best response you can come up with is to attack me personally.

"Cars are things that help when driving long distances. Yes, things that get you from one place to another. They have a function. A use."

So if something is harmful but is useful, then it's okay? (Oh, and I'm aware of what cars are for, but thanks so much for clarifying!)

"Comparing driving an automobile with smoking pot is the most inane comparison I have ever heard."

They both expose one to chemicals, so it is reasonable to compare them. If the comparison ultimately fails, though, it is because car exhaust is far more dangerous to one's health than moderate consumption of marijuana.

"It all boils down to this: is smoking pot harmful? Yes."

How about ingesting it in other ways? Proof?
All of the things that you mention -- food, water, cars -- are necessities of our modern life.

We need food to live. It's best to buy organic foods. But if you cannot afford them, you must still buy food for your child to eat. Thus they may be exposed to harmful chemicals through their foods.

A child needs water to survive. If you cannot afford bottled water that is free from fluoride, the child will have to drink tap water. Through the simple act of drinking water a child may be ingesting chemicals.

A person does not NEED pot to live or to survive. Is that simple enough for you to understand? Comparing pot with food, water or an automobile is faulty logic.

Another amazing thing I find is that with all of the chemicals one may ingest just by living, breathing, eating and drinking, one would think that a mother would be even more concerned and not advocate ingesting even MORE chemicals through a habit that is based only on their desire to get high and feel good.

For all the moms who get high on here, at least just admit that you do it because you want to. Not because you NEED to. Certainly, don't try to pretend that it's doing your baby any good. You don't help your cause out at all.

And for those that say things like, "Well, so and so down the street did it, and their kids are fine," you may as well be saying, "So and so hit their kids a lot, but they turned out fine." One cannot tell quite how these children would have turned out had the mother not been engaged in her medicinal pursuits, so one cannot definitively state that, can they?
post #98 of 101
"We live in a country where driving a car is a necessity. We are all using a computer."

You choose to live in that country. You choose to live somewhere that you need a car. You choose to use a computer. Much of the world makes use without these things. We use these things for reasons of convenience, and we consider that an acceptable exchange for the risks. But why is that more honorable or more okay than using a substance for purposes of enjoyment or comfort? Especially when deleterious effects from that substance have not been proven to be inherent and universal with all kinds of use?
post #99 of 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by ruby slippers
I think a little meth every now again is fine, my kids do just great on it - it was the vaccines that poisoned them!!!
I hear ya! Personally, I think the crack was fine for me and didn't harm my kid at all. Those vaccines on the other hand may have scarred him for life!!
post #100 of 101

i smoke an am breastfeeding an am so worried because i do smoke everyday a bowl or three ?

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Breastfeeding
Mothering › Mothering Forums › Baby › Breastfeeding › Smoking weed and breastfeeding????