or Connect
Mothering › Mothering Forums › Mom › Women's Health  › Baby Tylenol - Is it okay??
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Baby Tylenol - Is it okay?? - Page 2

post #21 of 41
I too have never used nor ever would use baby tylenol, or any pain or fever reducer. (To be completely honest, my 17 yo had tylenol twice after vaccinations as a baby, but that was before I knew any better.) Like firefaery, I would never let my children suffer and have other options to help them with pain. I also have never been in a situation with my children haven't been able to deal with myself, or with the assistance of my DH.
post #22 of 41
I wouldn't use tylenol at all, but have resorted to ibuprofen a couple times. Would love to expand my repertoire so that I could avoid that as well.

Firefaery, since you offered remedies (and this is probably basic and known to everyone else): teething pain? My little one's molars are moving again (though not visible).
post #23 of 41
For my kids I use my favorite home remedy: a castor oil rub as well as homeopathy (including tissue salts) and flower essences.

I mix castor oil (maybe a T.) with hypericum oil or tincture (maybe a dropper full) and add some EO's. I often mix clove and myrrh, or german chamomile. I then rub it along the gumline and up around the ears. Castor oil is anti-inflammatory, hypericum is an amazing analgesic and the oils have their own properties to add to the mix. I get different hits on what will be the best for the child. Ds2 (going through it now) does best with german chamomile and myrrh. This is an amazing remedy and I apply it often.

Homeopathy is rather individualized, I do try and match the symptoms rather than use something like Hylands combination remedies. A single dose will be more effective IME. For tissue salts there are a couple....calc flour and calc phos are the major teething ones (difficulty with teething, painful dentition etc.)

My littlest is currently getting walnut, cherry plum, star and chicory flower essences to help with the teething. Every baby will need something slightly different, but walnut and star are the two that almost always surface for this issue. You could also try adding Rescue Remedy to the castor oil if you don't have access to other flowers. That has star and cherry plum so you could jsut add walnut to the mix if you like.
post #24 of 41
When you say up around the ears, is that inside the mouth (in the direction of the ears) or near/around his ears?. ... baby waking, sorry, back later. but thx for gettingb ack so quick!
post #25 of 41
This is ALL external. It never goes in the baby's mouth. Along the jawline and up around the ears.
post #26 of 41
Faery,

Do you have a reference book that you might recommend?

Also, what do you recommend for an infant with a cough?
post #27 of 41
Fun, I love hearing what others do! I'll add ear infections if I may. My older two never had any and dd had an awful one which *almost* resulted in pain meds. We only have a walmart and a small hfs in the area, so I'd love to hear what to get to have on hand, kwim?
post #28 of 41
Well my 3.5 month old had a 103 and climbing fever, bronchiolits and RSV was being repeatedly suctioned (down the nasal passage with a tube) and was going to be hospitalized. I won't give things just for the heck of it, but at that point, it was a perfect storm. It was a much needed intervention to prevent other interventions that would've really been bad - was having problems nursing and they kept talking about IV fluids. Well the tylenol knocked him down enough that he was able to nurse and we managed to avoid the IV's. He was on pulse ox and cardiac monitors though.
Needless to say, I won't just dole out medicine for the heck of it, but it does certainly have its moments.
Previously, my 1.5 yo had bacterial pneumonia and a 105 fever and couldn't keep fluids or meds down. So while I really don't like to give it as said before, there are situations where it will avoid further interventions. At that point, with her, it knocked her down enough to both nurse and be able to hold things down to avoid IV fluids. They did have to give it to her in her hiney though. I gave her ibuprofen this january b/c she had the same pneumonia and wanted to avoid a repeat of the previous january.
Liz
post #29 of 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by chlobo View Post
Faery,

Do you have a reference book that you might recommend?

Also, what do you recommend for an infant with a cough?
What age infant? If they're over 12 months with a mucousy cough you can give turmeric in a 1/4 tsp of honey as an expectorant.
post #30 of 41
6 monoths
post #31 of 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by dannic View Post
Fun, I love hearing what others do! I'll add ear infections if I may. My older two never had any and dd had an awful one which *almost* resulted in pain meds. We only have a walmart and a small hfs in the area, so I'd love to hear what to get to have on hand, kwim?
I use onion juice along with chiropractic adjustments. Onion juice is easy, wonderful and takes care of pain immediately.
post #32 of 41
Firefaery--thx for getting back so quick, I get it now with the teething pain.

Quote:
Do you have a reference book that you might recommend?
Chlobo's question was way better than mine. Any recs? For me, preferably not mostly homeopathic, because it seems like a lot of expertise is needed to make homepathics work, and I don't think I'm going to master that anytime soon. And thanks for letting us pick your brain.
post #33 of 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by chlobo View Post
Faery,

Do you have a reference book that you might recommend?

Also, what do you recommend for an infant with a cough?
you are so not going to like this, but generally an infant with a cough I let cough. It is a very specific action that shouldn't be suppressed. There are things I might do to make it more productive, but not at that age...sorry!

I don't have any great recommendations for books. I have read several that were okay-but nothing that I'd feel great about recommending.
post #34 of 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by TanyaLopez View Post
Firefaery--thx for getting back so quick, I get it now with the teething pain.



Chlobo's question was way better than mine. Any recs? For me, preferably not mostly homeopathic, because it seems like a lot of expertise is needed to make homepathics work, and I don't think I'm going to master that anytime soon. And thanks for letting us pick your brain.
Well, specific to homeopathy the answer is a *bit* different. I like Everybody's Guide to Homeopathic Medicine by Cummings and Ullman quite a bit. Miranda Castro's books are also quite good for lay practitioners. There are others, but for people just getting into it those are probably my top choices. I also think that everyone using homeopathy would benefit from a Materia Medica with Repertory. You can get Boericke's on Amazon for around $16. It helps to deepen the understanding of homeopathy. I first read it maybe 8 years ago and that's how I fell in love.

Okay. I just totally realized that I read your question wrong and that you DON'T want homeopathy Well then, I stand by my previous answer!

Some people love Smart Medicine for a Healthier Child, some love How to Raise a Healthy Child in Spite of Your Doctor.
post #35 of 41
Quote:
Okay. I just totally realized that I read your question wrong and that you DON'T want homeopathy Well then, I stand by my previous answer!
Well, see, I've gotten the impression, over time, that getting good results with homeopathy takes some serious studying. I've been sort of winging it for everything I'm doing, and I'm not sure I can get enough expertise in a reasonable amount of time to really help. But I may check out one of the books you mentioned, if for no other reason than because I know diddly-squat about homeopathy and it may be an interesting read, even if I can't figure out how to apply anything usefully.

Quote:
Some people love Smart Medicine for a Healthier Child, some love How to Raise a Healthy Child in Spite of Your Doctor.
I've got both, and I go back to both periodically to deepen my knowledge and/or look up specific stuff. I think I have this fantasy that there's a book out there, it's probably in 4 volumes each 6" thick, that has all the answers to everything I want to know, and it explains how everything is interconnected. Since my fantasy book doesn't exist, I keep buying and buying. Thx for the recs.
post #36 of 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by TanyaLopez View Post
I think I have this fantasy that there's a book out there, it's probably in 4 volumes each 6" thick, that has all the answers to everything I want to know, and it explains how everything is interconnected. Since my fantasy book doesn't exist, I keep buying and buying. Thx for the recs.
Your fantasy book might well exist...I just think it might look very different from the way you are picturing it....
post #37 of 41
I forgot to mention that this is the first time in over 20 years of raising kids that I have given a mainstream pain medication. Circumstances were such that I had no way to get to a store (returned from hospital at midnight in a tow truck, snowed in if trying to drive the regular car) to buy homeopathics and my supplies are almost nil right now

Ibuprofen was the best that I could do- that or nothing at all. At least I avoided the extra additives in the baby product though, and I did scrape off the outer layer of the tablet.
post #38 of 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by alegna View Post
I have never given dd any.

I would not personally medicate a fever. I would consider medicating for pain. Though for most pain ibuprofen is more effective than tylenol.

-Angela
This is pretty much what I do. I have given it in the past for a fever at night so that ds could sleep; but only gave one or two doses, not every 4-6 hours for the duration of the illness like my mom used to do My concern at the time was that he was able to sleep and therefore keep his immune system functioning, and the medication allowed him to do that.
post #39 of 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by skyastara View Post
I forgot to mention that this is the first time in over 20 years of raising kids that I have given a mainstream pain medication. Circumstances were such that I had no way to get to a store (returned from hospital at midnight in a tow truck, snowed in if trying to drive the regular car) to buy homeopathics and my supplies are almost nil right now

Ibuprofen was the best that I could do- that or nothing at all. At least I avoided the extra additives in the baby product though, and I did scrape off the outer layer of the tablet.
post #40 of 41
Quote:
you are so not going to like this, but generally an infant with a cough I let cough. It is a very specific action that shouldn't be suppressed. There are things I might do to make it more productive, but not at that age...sorry!
A couple of weeks ago my DH & I were discussing Delsym (not forthe baby) & how it suppresses the urge to cough. All I culd think was how bad it probably was to suppress your bodies urge to cough up something that's bothering it. So I do agree. I just wish the little guy hadn't gotten sick. He seems in better spirits this morning.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Women's Health
Mothering › Mothering Forums › Mom › Women's Health  › Baby Tylenol - Is it okay??