or Connect
Mothering › Mothering Forums › Pregnancy and Birth › Birth and Beyond › What got YOU through that nasty contraction?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

What got YOU through that nasty contraction? - Page 2

post #21 of 72
Quote:
My best labor I had a dot on the patterned wall paper that I focused on.
LOL! I haven't been through labour (yet!), but my mother likes to tell me that when she was pushing with me, she was staring at the ceiling which had all these little randomised dots on it, counting them furiously. When I was about 15 we went into a clothes shop which had the exact same ceiling tiles, and she went all flashbacky and got the shudders...
post #22 of 72
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokering View Post
LOL! I haven't been through labour (yet!), but my mother likes to tell me that when she was pushing with me, she was staring at the ceiling which had all these little randomised dots on it, counting them furiously. When I was about 15 we went into a clothes shop which had the exact same ceiling tiles, and she went all flashbacky and got the shudders...


-Caitrin
post #23 of 72
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by laurencita View Post
I just posted a similar question. Great responses to your question will help me out. Thanks!
You've got a message in your inbox!



-Caitrin
post #24 of 72
I, like so many other PP, had a hard time focusing on anything specific. My last labor (my only natural one) was very fast (about 3.25 hours from water breaking to baby completely born). At first I really enjoyed being in the birth tub and vocalizing during contrx. But once they got intense, I just felt like I was doing all I could to hold on. I vocalized a LOT and it helped. It occurred to me later that it's a shame I couldn't use any of that visualization stuff I learned at Bradley. While pushing him out, it really hit me how primal birth is. I reflected on all the women who've gone there before and realized, in the midst of all the I-wanna-die pain how women really have died in birth. It was the most primal feeling I've ever had.

Also : clitoral stimulation really helped while the pain was getting intense (mainly when I was pushing his head out - it took like an hour just to get his head out). My mom kept telling me, "Don't put your hands down there." And I was like, "But it makes the pain feel better!" Looking back now, it's rather embarrassing. Anyone else have any bloopers they're embarrassed about from labor??
post #25 of 72
I had the same experience as many of the other mamas. I focused on breathing very deeply (hypnobirthing style) and just getting through 'this' contraction. Not worrying about the one before or after. It's all about the here and now! Also I had to be moving! I was barely still at all except for when I was in the tub or on the toilet! Dancing with DH helped a lot too.
post #26 of 72
Pretty much just knowing it would end in a short amount of time. And focusing on the present, not how much longer I had to go.
post #27 of 72
In active labor, close to transition it really helped me to picture my cervix opening, the flower image & to just be really curious about the pain - to really experience the ctx & feel how it was helping me have my baby. I tend to have really long transitions (lucky me) & I don't know where I came up with this but during my 1st labor (& all that have come after) when I get to that "I can't do this anymore" part, I start counting. When I feel the rush coming one I take a couple of deep breaths & once it starts to become painful I start counting. I know by the time I make it to 40, I'll be coming down. I think this really helps me know that the pain really will end. I've always wanted to think about , "one ctx at a time" but for some reason this doesn't work for me. HTH!
post #28 of 72
Low-pitched moaning or shaking my legs like crazy...

also, warm water was great.
post #29 of 72
Well, I had read a lot of the Ina May stuff about orgasmic birth experiences... so, going into each one I thought "maybe this is going to be the one that feels good." I think that it did help me stay relaxed because I wasn't doing that tense up because you are expecting pain thing.

Ina May also suggested doing horse lips - so I did those in the water - basically blowing bubbles. It distracts from the pain if you are focusing on making your lips work. I also concentrated on trying to make my vocalizations sound exactly like a mama bear growl.
post #30 of 72
Ooooooooo-pen. Oooooooooo-pen.
Horsey lips. Brrrrrrrr.
Ooooooo-pen. Oooooooo-pen.
Horsey lips. Brrrrrrrr.

You're gonna get This Big (imagining the opening of a fully-dialated cervix).

What helped most of all was moving around as I pleased and choosing the position the felt best. I remember some that I *hated* and the waves felt completely different in them.

Oh - here's a kind of embarrassing story. I didn't realize until later that during every. single. wave I'd relax my lower half as much as possible while pressing my head like hell into my partner's hands, chest, whatever. That's kinda freaky to realize after the fact. And yes, my partner's a dream.
post #31 of 72
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by bens_mommy_2005 View Post
I, like so many other PP, had a hard time focusing on anything specific. My last labor (my only natural one) was very fast (about 3.25 hours from water breaking to baby completely born). At first I really enjoyed being in the birth tub and vocalizing during contrx. But once they got intense, I just felt like I was doing all I could to hold on. I vocalized a LOT and it helped. It occurred to me later that it's a shame I couldn't use any of that visualization stuff I learned at Bradley. While pushing him out, it really hit me how primal birth is. I reflected on all the women who've gone there before and realized, in the midst of all the I-wanna-die pain how women really have died in birth. It was the most primal feeling I've ever had.

Also : clitoral stimulation really helped while the pain was getting intense (mainly when I was pushing his head out - it took like an hour just to get his head out). My mom kept telling me, "Don't put your hands down there." And I was like, "But it makes the pain feel better!" Looking back now, it's rather embarrassing. Anyone else have any bloopers they're embarrassed about from labor??
Huh.

That is fascinating to me.

I must say I have heard a lot of coping mechanisms for birth and this is one I have NEVER heard before.

And it's different. It's intersting.

In fact, it's so interesting that you've made me want to try it at least once.

I would have never thought of doing something like that, and I'm typically very closed minded about "out of the ordinary" ideas.

But I'm genuinely intrigued now...I must say.

-Caitrin
post #32 of 72
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by insahmniak View Post
Ooooooooo-pen. Oooooooooo-pen.
Horsey lips. Brrrrrrrr.
Ooooooo-pen. Oooooooo-pen.
Horsey lips. Brrrrrrrr.

You're gonna get This Big (imagining the opening of a fully-dialated cervix).

What helped most of all was moving around as I pleased and choosing the position the felt best. I remember some that I *hated* and the waves felt completely different in them.

Oh - here's a kind of embarrassing story. I didn't realize until later that during every. single. wave I'd relax my lower half as much as possible while pressing my head like hell into my partner's hands, chest, whatever. That's kinda freaky to realize after the fact. And yes, my partner's a dream.
OOPPEN!!

So obvious, yet so deep.

Great idea.

Ok, now I have enough ideas and inspirations to last a lifetime of births!

But yet I still want more ideas

-Caitrin
post #33 of 72
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by beka1977 View Post
Well, I had read a lot of the Ina May stuff about orgasmic birth experiences... so, going into each one I thought "maybe this is going to be the one that feels good." I think that it did help me stay relaxed because I wasn't doing that tense up because you are expecting pain thing.

Ina May also suggested doing horse lips - so I did those in the water - basically blowing bubbles. It distracts from the pain if you are focusing on making your lips work. I also concentrated on trying to make my vocalizations sound exactly like a mama bear growl.
I will have to look up Ina May.

Never even heard of her.

Shows how much I really know about natural birth:

Not much.

-Caitrin
post #34 of 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by bens_mommy_2005 View Post
Also : clitoral stimulation really helped while the pain was getting intense (mainly when I was pushing his head out - it took like an hour just to get his head out). My mom kept telling me, "Don't put your hands down there." And I was like, "But it makes the pain feel better!" Looking back now, it's rather embarrassing. Anyone else have any bloopers they're embarrassed about from labor??
Wow, this shouldn't be embarrassing--it is so powerful that you were able to access something to help with the intensity. It probably helped keep you open and helped the baby come down. Many people feel that birth is a sexual experience. For more on this check out Laura Shanley's website: http://www.freebirth.com/ Honestly, it's not really appropriate for someone to be commenting on what you are doing to help along your own labor, although I'm sure your mother meant well.

I do have those feelings about some of the things I yelled in transition. I feel like personal things about my fears were revealed to strangers and it felt awful for a while after my birth.
post #35 of 72
My first was a hospital birth and the main thing I did - which is odd now, looking back - was shaking the bed rail during the height of pain. It was pretty loose and made a wonderful racket. Better than me screaming, I suppose!
post #36 of 72
ripcurlgirl- perhaps it helped keep your mind from focusing on the pain.


Well I was lucky that only the last few contractions right before pushing were really painful! The first one took me by surprise and was over before it fully registered. The next two were spent in trying to program myself to ride it like a wave and stay on top. When I somehow figured that out, the next couple were easy to go with, then my body started to push.
I am not exactly sure what my technique was. Other than breath high, think high, stay high, ride the wave.

Embarasing things? I pooped on the table. I blame the midwife who broke my water, put me on the bed and then ignored me. If I had of been left alone, I would have been able to go to the bathroom on the toilet:

Birth was a big orgasm and I felt a little embarassed when I realised I was having an orgasm in front of the midwives
post #37 of 72
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by ripcurlgirl26 View Post
My first was a hospital birth and the main thing I did - which is odd now, looking back - was shaking the bed rail during the height of pain. It was pretty loose and made a wonderful racket. Better than me screaming, I suppose!
I so wanted to do the same thing but I was afraid I'd break the hospital bed.

Although, looking back, I don't know how much I should have cared if that had happened...

I was being ignored by key people so perhaps that would have grasped their attention...



-Caitrin
post #38 of 72
I'm late on this reply, but in the Bible, Abraham and Sarah had a baby when Sarah was 90 years old. I kept telling myself that if 90 year old Sarah could have a baby, then so could 28 year old me... and I prayed a whole lot...
post #39 of 72
Focusing on my breathing . . a lot of moaning . . at one point when it was relly intense I looked at my good friend who had had 4 children all natural births at home and said "this is normal and o.k. right ? " her reassurance was so loving . .

minutes after ds was born and his slippery wet body was on my belly I had the most amazing orgasm. As the waves of hormones/pleasure was subsiding I was telling the mw about it she said something along the lines of 'you deserve it'. ( ds was a 10lb 2 oz face presentation with the never ending labour )
post #40 of 72
3 things:
Repeating in my head "The only way out is through."
Making lots of OOOOOOOOOOO noise.
My desire to be done and GO TO BED.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Birth and Beyond
Mothering › Mothering Forums › Pregnancy and Birth › Birth and Beyond › What got YOU through that nasty contraction?