or Connect
Mothering › Mothering Forums › Natural Living › Nutrition and Good Eating › Traditional Foods › You know you are a TF household when...
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

You know you are a TF household when... - Page 3

post #41 of 60
...when your DC's friends ask your DC "does your mom EVER go to the store? Well, next time, tell her to get some chips and pop". And your DC reply, "but that isn't good for you. That is junk food, and it will make you sick"!

...when your children prefer homemade yogurt to storebought.

...when your children beg for smoothies (loaded with coconut oil, kefir, and the like).

...when you do shop at the store, you spend more on non-food items (like toilet paper, light bulbs and bandaids) than food, because, you know, real food comes from the farm.

...when you eat dinner with other people, your DC assume that everything came from "the farm", not from a grocery store.

...when your DD asks what that is, pointing to a piece of storebought butter. She thought it was cheese, because it was so pale. "but Mama, butter is YELLOW!"

...when your DD is shocked that store eggs are (GASP!) WHITE!!

...when you feel good about saying yes to your DC's request for ice cream, since it's made with raw cream and organic vanilla, and not much else.
post #42 of 60
yes, you more interested in obtaining good whole foods than in obtaining new clothes and shoes or am I just quirky?
post #43 of 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikki98 View Post
yes, you more interested in obtaining good whole foods than in obtaining new clothes and shoes or am I just quirky?

nah, shopping for herbs and whole foods , especially from co-ops is way more fun!
post #44 of 60
QWhen you see other moms feeding their kids doritos and capri suns and you think to yourself...those poor kids if only the mom knew.
post #45 of 60
When you're drinking fresh real milk and you know the name of the cow it came from.
post #46 of 60
* when rice cakes are bad for you...

* when your kids play store with toy food, and when you come to "buy" something, they tell you "this store has no sugar, no colors, no wheat and no milk."
post #47 of 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikki98 View Post
yes, you more interested in obtaining good whole foods than in obtaining new clothes and shoes or am I just quirky?
:

When your dh gives you a large cast iron skillet for your anniversary and says "now I can cook you bacon in the morning"

Jen
post #48 of 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikki98 View Post
yes, you more interested in obtaining good whole foods than in obtaining new clothes and shoes or am I just quirky?

DD and I got our first babysitting cheque the other day and we ran straight to the charcuterie for rabbit pie, headcheese, raw milk brie and free-range bacon. Mmmm... so good!
post #49 of 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by newcastlemama View Post
:

When your dh gives you a large cast iron skillet for your anniversary and says "now I can cook you bacon in the morning"

Jen

Ha! This is so true! DH was asking me the other day why I don't use an electric skillet to pan-fry steak instead of broiling it in the oven. I said "WHAT??!! Use a *teflon* pan?" and he was like, "is that bad?" needless to say, he received an education that morning, lol.

I like the one a few posts back where you open the fridge and all you have in there is stuff that needs preparing, not convenience foods. My kids constantly ask for a snack, and all they get is fruit, cheese, jerky, yogurt, etc. (the last 2 homemade, of course!).
post #50 of 60
When your current "wants/needs NOW" list includes:
a dehydrator
a food processor(mine broke)
post #51 of 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by Attached Mama View Post
Or when you go to the "regular" grocery store and are truly shocked, overwhelmed and flabbergasted at what you see there
.....when we go our "regular" store(not often- for hemp milk and tea-thank god it's organic there) DH has to nudge me so I don't say something to the people in line. He's sees my eyes get all big and my head starts to shake....

.....when DH wants to know when the darn water kefir will be done!

.....when 4 yr old DS politely says "no thank you" to family and friends offering unhealthy treats and proceeds to tell them what we make at home.

.....when my MIL mutters to herself in annoyance about all the canning jars in the fridge and on the counter.

.....when you actually have family members starting to buy and eat the same things you do -i think this is my favorite of all. it has taken years and countless arguments but they are coming around. P.S. we live with my IL's.
post #52 of 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by newcastlemama View Post
:

When your dh gives you a large cast iron skillet for your anniversary and says "now I can cook you bacon in the morning"

Jen
Agreed! I told mine for our anniversary I wanted a larger cast iron and a larger stock pot and to think into the future for a freezer!
post #53 of 60
Ha, I told my DH I needed a big stockpot, and he bought me a really nice one from williams-sonoma for Christmas 2006. I had to reassure him it was ok to buy me something kitchen related since I really did want it, lol.
post #54 of 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by gardenmommy View Post
Ha, I told my DH I needed a big stockpot, and he bought me a really nice one from williams-sonoma for Christmas 2006. I had to reassure him it was ok to buy me something kitchen related since I really did want it, lol.
Yeah, dh said he felt bad at first getting me something for cooking but he knew I wanted it for a really long time.
post #55 of 60
When your husband doesn't even blink twice when he sees a variety of organ meats thawing.

When you use the word 'offal' instead of 'organ meats' in a conversation with people you're introducing to the idea of TF, and your kids know exactly what you're talking about and the other kids in the room are clueless.

When your kids think it's perfectly normal for cats to eat raw meat.

When you go visit your family, and have to show everyone the jars of kefir and kombucha that you expect them to leave on their kitchen counter, undisturbed, because it doesn't need to be dumped.

When you have one kitchen cabinet dedicated to your 'science experiments.'

When guests stare in amazement at the dinner table because your kids eat their greens first, since it's their favorite.
post #56 of 60
When you pick up your meat from a guy with a cowboy hat and a big truck at a neighboorhood park instead of, say, Safeway.

You pick up bulk food and household items from a different guy in the Home Depot parking lot(or at "that lady's house")

When you say "I have to feed our tea monster tonight" and the kids understand what that means.

When you encourage the kids to indulge in kefir, because after all, it is your secret weapon against bad munchies
post #57 of 60
When you run to the local supermarket because you forgot green onions at Whole Foods and realize that you wouldn't touch 99% of the food in the store.

When you use homemade mayonnaise as a dip.

When you have a 5-minute routine with DH to make a gallon of water kefir every couple of days.

When DH sees the heads and feet floating in the broth and later drinks the soup.

When DH hates eating out because home cooking tastes so much better.

When takeout and TV dinner means you raided your freezer meals for dinner.

When you interview the waitress on the oil they use and cooking methods before ordering.

When you run your own water through the coffee maker at work to make tea.

When you go through 3 dozen eggs a week for 2 people.

When a taco salad represents days of cooking time.
post #58 of 60
This is a great thread.
post #59 of 60
When you wax poetic over the lovely loaves of handmade, whole grain bread fresh from the oven...and warm with lots of butter slathered all over it :

Try to explain to your mother in law that the crispy chicken skin is the best part, that the bones are saved for stock, all the veg trim is saved for the same thing and YES!!! I do save the chicken fat on top of the stock! Oh and the oatmeal is meant to be left out, soaking overnight!

homemade hummus is perfect, cause you know just what is in it.

that dd is perfectly happy with a sandwich on before mentioned bread, raw cheese and homemade mayo, an orange and veggie sticks for lunch, rather then fast food.

Dh perfers to eat at home because he knows exactly what is in the meals I make.
post #60 of 60
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by pnutS4us View Post
When you wax poetic over the lovely loaves of handmade, whole grain bread fresh from the oven...and warm with lots of butter slathered all over it :

Try to explain to your mother in law that the crispy chicken skin is the best part, that the bones are saved for stock, all the veg trim is saved for the same thing and YES!!! I do save the chicken fat on top of the stock! Oh and the oatmeal is meant to be left out, soaking overnight!

homemade hummus is perfect, cause you know just what is in it.

that dd is perfectly happy with a sandwich on before mentioned bread, raw cheese and homemade mayo, an orange and veggie sticks for lunch, rather then fast food.

Dh perfers to eat at home because he knows exactly what is in the meals I make.
I could use a good hummus recipe....
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Traditional Foods
Mothering › Mothering Forums › Natural Living › Nutrition and Good Eating › Traditional Foods › You know you are a TF household when...