or Connect
Mothering › Mothering Forums › Natural Living › The Mindful Home › Frugality & Finances › February Low Income Mama Support Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

February Low Income Mama Support Thread - Page 7

post #121 of 254
Oh Aura Kitten Hope things get taken care of for you all soon!


I haven't had a chance to drop in for awhile. We are finally back in Pittsburgh! I had found a 4BR apt here for $425+g&e which my girlfriend went and looked at for me. Now we are here and it really is a nice little place. We all have our own rooms! Of course Jude is still sleeping with me but he has his own cool little space regardless.

I did splurge on a few things we needed. I found this awesome little sofa for $100 and then a big chair for $30.
I also got my dd a sweet little Spongebob table and two hot pink bean bag chairs with footstools so there went another $40. My other dd (13) is the only one I have to get a bed for yet. BUT I found a cute little bear toddler bed for $5 and am getting a crib mattress from the pregnancy center on Weds. I'm trying so hard not to spend too much money but sometimes you just NEED stuff. Being the queen of craigslist that I am (lol) I also scored a table and chairs from Ikea for FREE. She said there are some end tables and a few other things I can take too if I want them. All we will have left to get are dressers.

So sorry for my neverending saga of the move. Now the biggest thing I have facing us is me having to find some kind of at least part time job. I'm leaning towards something at night. My dd will watch the little ones so we can save on daycare for now. She wants to. All she wants for payment is cable TV. I offered her cash but she didn't want it. It won't be for too long. Then Jude will be a little older and I will have to send him to daycare Sucks but I gotta do what I gotta do.

I'm getting my pitiful settlement tomorrow so I'm paying up the rent for 6 months. At least I won't have that to stress over.

All in all things are looking up for us. I just need to get over the panic attacks over putting my kids in daycare.

Hope everyone's week is starting out okay!
post #122 of 254
Hi mamas!

AuraKitten, I am so sorry to hear that about your dd. I really hope it is diagnosed quickly so that it can be treated. She'll be in my thoughts. And you, as well. I hope you can work out something with your school and I hope that you aren't exhausting yourself.

Congratulations on the move, Oceanjones. Sounds like you are being very thrifty which is awesome.

Hugs to everyone else.

I'm supposed to be doing some homework right now while dd is sleeping and, of course, I'm not. I'm going to do some now, I swear!
post #123 of 254
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oceanjones View Post
Oh Aura Kitten Hope things get taken care of for you all soon!


I haven't had a chance to drop in for awhile. We are finally back in Pittsburgh! I had found a 4BR apt here for $425+g&e which my girlfriend went and looked at for me. Now we are here and it really is a nice little place. We all have our own rooms! Of course Jude is still sleeping with me but he has his own cool little space regardless.

I did splurge on a few things we needed. I found this awesome little sofa for $100 and then a big chair for $30.
I also got my dd a sweet little Spongebob table and two hot pink bean bag chairs with footstools so there went another $40. My other dd (13) is the only one I have to get a bed for yet. BUT I found a cute little bear toddler bed for $5 and am getting a crib mattress from the pregnancy center on Weds. I'm trying so hard not to spend too much money but sometimes you just NEED stuff. Being the queen of craigslist that I am (lol) I also scored a table and chairs from Ikea for FREE. She said there are some end tables and a few other things I can take too if I want them. All we will have left to get are dressers.

So sorry for my neverending saga of the move. Now the biggest thing I have facing us is me having to find some kind of at least part time job. I'm leaning towards something at night. My dd will watch the little ones so we can save on daycare for now. She wants to. All she wants for payment is cable TV. I offered her cash but she didn't want it. It won't be for too long. Then Jude will be a little older and I will have to send him to daycare Sucks but I gotta do what I gotta do.

I'm getting my pitiful settlement tomorrow so I'm paying up the rent for 6 months. At least I won't have that to stress over.

All in all things are looking up for us. I just need to get over the panic attacks over putting my kids in daycare.

Hope everyone's week is starting out okay!
Congrats on the new place!!! Send some of those fabulous house vibes my way now that you don't need them please! We need a new place and we need to move while I'm still home with the girlies. I'm having panic attacks about putting my kids in daycare too. I can stay out a LITTLE longer but I really lshould get a real job and put them in childcare. But Sara is so shy that I know she'll have panic attacks every day thinking of dealing with so many grown-ups and other kids near her. And Grace is still so teeny that I worry that she wont' get the kind of care I want her to get and she'll be sick all the time. Mady will be fine I know. She's such a social butterfly that she'd FLOURISH in daycare and have lots of fun. She's fine at school and daycare would be just an extension of the fun she has at school. It's so hard being single and having no one else to rely on for stuff like this. Wish I coudl find another single mama to trade child care with.
post #124 of 254
Thread Starter 
good morning mamas!

can i whine?

the dogs and cat have fleas...again

and i was just getting edie ready for a shower......head lice:

she hasn't had head lice since 1st grade

so, she's washing her hair with tto and lavendar and then i will flea comb her...

its a buggy world

oceanjones....congrats on your new home! and don't feel bad about the purchases.

lanky- it really is so good to see you you were missed

aura...how are you and dd today?

justmama....thanks for the call yesterday. i am so down.

I signed edie up for vacation camp thinking i had plenty of money. i don't they have a sliding fee scale......wish me luck.

anyway, glad you are all here. i'm a tad lost on the momming front right now, and can use all the support i can get.

have a good day mamas.....see you soon.
post #125 of 254
Quote:
Originally Posted by justmama View Post
Congrats on the new place!!! Send some of those fabulous house vibes my way now that you don't need them please! We need a new place and we need to move while I'm still home with the girlies. I'm having panic attacks about putting my kids in daycare too. I can stay out a LITTLE longer but I really lshould get a real job and put them in childcare. But Sara is so shy that I know she'll have panic attacks every day thinking of dealing with so many grown-ups and other kids near her. And Grace is still so teeny that I worry that she wont' get the kind of care I want her to get and she'll be sick all the time. Mady will be fine I know. She's such a social butterfly that she'd FLOURISH in daycare and have lots of fun. She's fine at school and daycare would be just an extension of the fun she has at school. It's so hard being single and having no one else to rely on for stuff like this. Wish I coudl find another single mama to trade child care with.
Hope you find a nice place for cheap!
I feel the same way about the daycare. My 3yo dd would be happy and love it but my baby boy....yeah, he's 14 months but he is STILL a baby and he did spend 3 days in dc and every day when I picked him up he clung to me and whimpered all night

Quote:
Originally Posted by ediesmom View Post
good morning mamas!

can i whine?

the dogs and cat have fleas...again

and i was just getting edie ready for a shower......head lice:

she hasn't had head lice since 1st grade

so, she's washing her hair with tto and lavendar and then i will flea comb her...

its a buggy world

oceanjones....congrats on your new home! and don't feel bad about the purchases.

lanky- it really is so good to see you you were missed

aura...how are you and dd today?

justmama....thanks for the call yesterday. i am so down.

I signed edie up for vacation camp thinking i had plenty of money. i don't they have a sliding fee scale......wish me luck.

anyway, glad you are all here. i'm a tad lost on the momming front right now, and can use all the support i can get.

have a good day mamas.....see you soon.
Lice is no fun! I'm sorry mama
I remember my grandparents having fleas and seeing the all jump on my legs. blech Those little suckers are hard to kill too.

I'm sure they will help you for the vacation camp. I went for a sliding scale thing for my oldest once and I would have had to pay about $50 with the scale but when I was signing her up I ended up talking to the lady for a bit. A few days later she sent me a letter saying she was waiving it altogether and wished me luck Maybe you will get lucky like I did

Let me get some opinions. I have to get a bed for 13yo dd.
Now I could pay $70 for a regular twin including delivery but it would be a few days before I get it OR I could get this futon twin chair that has a really plush mattress for $75 including delivery and it will be here tonight OR I could hold out and hope I find a toddler bed for cheap and get a free crib mattress from the pregnancy center and give the twin we have to dd but who knows how long it will be before I find one. I'm still watching craigslist but these are the options for delivery. wwyd?
post #126 of 254
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oceanjones View Post
Hope you find a nice place for cheap!
I feel the same way about the daycare. My 3yo dd would be happy and love it but my baby boy....yeah, he's 14 months but he is STILL a baby and he did spend 3 days in dc and every day when I picked him up he clung to me and whimpered all night



Lice is no fun! I'm sorry mama
I remember my grandparents having fleas and seeing the all jump on my legs. blech Those little suckers are hard to kill too.

I'm sure they will help you for the vacation camp. I went for a sliding scale thing for my oldest once and I would have had to pay about $50 with the scale but when I was signing her up I ended up talking to the lady for a bit. A few days later she sent me a letter saying she was waiving it altogether and wished me luck Maybe you will get lucky like I did

Let me get some opinions. I have to get a bed for 13yo dd.
Now I could pay $70 for a regular twin including delivery but it would be a few days before I get it OR I could get this futon twin chair that has a really plush mattress for $75 including delivery and it will be here tonight OR I could hold out and hope I find a toddler bed for cheap and get a free crib mattress from the pregnancy center and give the twin we have to dd but who knows how long it will be before I find one. I'm still watching craigslist but these are the options for delivery. wwyd?
I would get the futon. That way you can use it as a couch later if you need it and it will get there t onight and it's only $5 more. I think it's totally worth it. Keep trying to find the toddler bed for free but I think the futon is more useful. Multi-purpose ya know? And they really aren't that uncomfortable. My sister has two, one for her living room and one for her bed. She loves them. I've slept on hers before and they are fine. Plus, a 13yo isn't likely to complain about back pain or whatever. She has a nice young body that won't balk at a futon mattress!
post #127 of 254
Quote:
Originally Posted by ediesmom View Post
good morning mamas!

can i whine?

the dogs and cat have fleas...again

and i was just getting edie ready for a shower......head lice:

she hasn't had head lice since 1st grade

so, she's washing her hair with tto and lavendar and then i will flea comb her...

its a buggy world

.

what are you using on them for the fleas? conventional flea treatments or homeopathics? garlic is great for fleas. Try putting some in their food, dogs usually lap it right up. Also, vaccuum your house like mad and put a piece of a conventional flea collar in the vaccuum bag to kill them and the eggs. But flea collars don't work well for pets on their bodies. Wash any bedding in hot water to kill the fleas and eggs. Washingthe dogs and their bedding in dawn dishwashing soap(the blue kind) works really really well for fleas if you want to avoid the conventional spot treatments. Be sure to really scrub it in. Or pay Edie to do it to save your shoulder. DO NOT BUY HARTZ flea stuff. I used to be a vet tech and I cannot tell you how many animals have died from that stuff. IT's dangerous. If you want the conventional stuff go to the vet for frontline.
post #128 of 254
Fleas and lice bug me.





























Sorry, couldn't help it. :

ediesmom ~ s I wish I could offer some kind of concrete advice here but I really can't, I don't have any experience with that stuff.

Ocean ~ I second justmama's suggestion about the futon but I would disagree that they aren't that uncomfortable. Still, they're a great option if you want variability and affordability.

Also ~ on the 14 mo and separation anxiety .... I can totally relate. My ds was like that for a long time. Now he's 7 and still wants me to walk him to his classroom in the mornings. Some kids just needs more mama time ~ and unfortunately circumstances can prevent that from being realized 24/7. I don't know if that's helpful or not but... it helps me to remember that I can still make the time I have with my kids count, yk?

Lanky ~ hope you got some hw time in...

Everyone else (?) ~


My dd is doing ok... no more vomiting yet today and no more diarrhea (kind of a mixed blessing I guess, she hasn't had any bowel movements at all since Sunday night )... but now she has a(nother) cold or something ~ cough, sniffles, asthma flaring up yet again....

And my ds was complaining of very bladder-infection-like symptoms all of yesterday so I kept him home today to take him to the dr.... only now that he's home his symptoms have miraculously vanished and the dr can't see him until tomorrow afternoon.

Also ~ having a baby girl in the hospital for nearly a week, and having her still be sick, and all of the stress that goes with missing 2 - now 3 - weeks of work and school..... well that places a tremendous strain on romantic relationships. ... my bf and I aren't doing great. We're not doing well at all actually.

I am hereby fully and utterly sick of:
- sick kids
- being sick
- endo
- relationships in general

and also:
- money issues ~~~ I have drained my car fund to supply my kids with decent food and the probiotics all the drs insisted I place my dd on.... why oh why is this stuff so expensive??

When my car fund runs out I will still not have a car, and then also not have money for food.

Healthy eating is unsustainable. :




That is all.
I am grumpy.
post #129 of 254
Oh, ediesmom, sorry to hear about the bugs...that must be really annoying and gross. I really hate bugs. Yeah, they "bug" me, too Aura.

I am sooo sooo excited for such a really lame sort of reason. I have done a really moronic thing and had the same pair of disposable contact lenses for about um....two years now. They hurt my eyes, are probably giving me an infection, and aren't even the right prescription. So, I have been waiting for my financial aid money so that I can get my eyes examined and get new ones...and also glasses. And it came today and I called the eye dr. and I'm going tomorrow. YAY!!!! So exciting. Not exactly a shopping spree or anything, but it will be amazing to have comfortable contacts...if they even let me continue wearing lenses. If not, I'll get some glasses. Oh and I also can finally get my oil changed! And my wheels aligned! Fun, exciting times ahead, let me tell you.

Alright gotta go pick up dd from her father's house. Hugs to all!
post #130 of 254
Ocean ~ I would be crying happy tears if we could find a place that big at that price. We only want a 3 bdr, but expect that to be close to $1000 and that won't be happening in the near future. The futon for your dd sounds like a good way to go at the moment. We ended up getting a king size mattress for dh and I off freecycle so if you haven't checked that out locally make sure to.

Aura ~ I hope your dd keeps doing better and you can get some good help to figure out what's been going on with her. I'll just agree that eating healthy food is very expensive.

LL ~ I'd be very happy with new contacts too. I haven't had any in several years now, but keep hoping we can work that out. My mom's comments on how many times my brother broke my glasses when he was a toddler didn't exactly help I've already got badly bent frames from one toddler and have another active monster coming before too much longer.
post #131 of 254
Good morning mamas.



My dd spent a lot of last night throwing up again.... and then began screaming non-stop all night that her ear was hurting... so I think she's got an ear infection on top of whatever else she has going on.


So ..... we're heading back to the dr today.



skristina ~ good to see you back
Lanky hope that goes well, I know how awful it is to deal with glasses that aren't 100% perfect for your eyes... I used to deal with migraines because of it until we figured out what was causing it (when I was much younger)... I can only imagine how terrible contacts would be in that situation.
Everyone else ~
post #132 of 254
Thread Starter 
2 posts eaten....ill try again later

good morning mamas

post #133 of 254
just checking in.
Aura, sorry to hear about your dd being sick again. My sister was in and out of Lahey Clinic outside Boston for 3 years when we were younger with constant bloodwork and doctor appts for chronic fatigue, muscle pain, etc and they never figured it out. They went from every idea from chronic fatigue to sub-clinical mono or lyme disease to fibromyalgia and no one ever really diagnosed her with anything. But eventually the symptoms just stopped. I know how frustrated you must be.
lanky, I wear contacts that are 2 years old because my insurance won't pay for them and htey are close to $200 because of my strong prescription and my astigmatism. Glasses just hurt my eyes and give me migraines.
skristina, how are things getting what you need for the babe? Anything I can help with? Boy or girl?
ediesmom, my posts never get eaten(knock on wood). I don't understand why you have so many issues???? must make you want to . how are things? did you get edie's buggies out???

So I think Grace is waking up and realizing that she should be here now. My relatiively mellow kid who is happy to eat and sleep and snuggle(most of the time I can put her down once she's truly asleep) is now wanting to be exclusively in-arms. She did let me shower this morning so I"m truly grateful but since then she's just wanted to snuggle ALL.DAY.LONG! Makes it difficult to do much.

gratefuls:

1. I have lots of yarn. I'm going to be starting to knit fruits and veggies and easter eggs to sell for the crowd who want a wahm easter.
2. tax money. I can stay home at least another month!
3. tea tree oil. this stuff disinfects our sippies, my pump pieces, diapers, mama pads, the air in my home, etc. I really think it keeps us healthier and it won't give my kiddos cancer like other chemical products.
4. found the manual for my sewing machine and I'm going to try to fix it myself before I bring it in to be fixed. grace needs a wool blankie and I have a ton of old sweaters to cut up for it.
5.hand-me-downs. enough said!
6. food stamps. we are stocked with tons of fruits and veggies and I even had enough to splurge on strawberries!
7. my basement. there's enough room for tons of storage AND I line dry all my clothing down there.
8. my drying rack next to the window in the kitchen. all the diapers are drying on it over the baseboard heaters and tomorrow morning they will be ready to use.
9. cloth diapers. without them I would have spent a fortune diapering both kids, espeically the toddler who should be out of diapers by now.
10. said toddler has been in panties all day with one accident only.
post #134 of 254
a note on TTO ~ I tested it in my Microbiology lab several semesters ago and found it does not kill to germs, just immobilizes them... once the strength of the TTO is diluted at all they start growing again.

(( ETA ~ I still use it. I'd like to believe it helps... it certainly seems to. But unfortunately the evidence just doesn't support it's miraculous germ- *killing* claims. ))

justmama ~ congrats on the no-accident toddler!



I guess I should do this: my gratefuls ~

* that I have a dr willing to test my dd for everything under the sun despite us having "only" medi-cal....
* that we have medi-cal ~ !!!
* that the creepy psychedelic faerie music videos make my dd extremely happy
* the 1 hr of sleep I snuck in this morning after my ds went to school and before I had to get my dd up to take her to the dr.
* the amazing chop-chop salad from star*bucks... yes I'm occasionally a corporate wh!re. but man those things are good.


post #135 of 254
im here but not for long- my 15 month old is just trying to kill himself i swear, in the last week he has split is lip three times, has a big ole brusie on his forhead when he climb on the little end table in living room and fell off it( its like 2 foot fall. dd still only pees in the potty first thing in the morning... guess she is ready to fully be potty trained yet... hubby didnt go to work last night since the dude called him and informed him the boat didnt dock yet... he is suppose to go out tonight... i wonder if he is or not... the company sounds fishy....

i am really started to hate his friend.... they work in the same field just different jobs and the friend has MONEY TO SPEND and always calls up dh and brags about his newest duty crap and make dh go "hunny steve just got this can i get one" i want his new phone... blah blah blah... really now 10000 dollars in credit card debt does not say anything to u? the 10000 dollars is the reason u wanted a second job so u can pay off the debt... but here u are just wanting to spend spend spend.... oh i want to kill him some times..

i needed a pick me up so my sister dyed my hair. got love siblings. but the color didnt turn out right.. hopefully i can come up with some more cash to make it right.... its like a dark purple.... not what i was thinking it would be. oops.
post #136 of 254
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by asianyoushi View Post
i needed a pick me up so my sister dyed my hair. got love siblings. but the color didnt turn out right.. hopefully i can come up with some more cash to make it right.... its like a dark purple.... not what i was thinking it would be. oops.

eggplant

and sorry about your knievel kid.....its a phase

pooey day for me.

i posted two big posts here and they got eaten in transit

fighting with my dr about insulin. its insane that i need to fight for the stuff:

i'll check in in the morning.

nite mamas,,,,i gotta do some nit-pickin
post #137 of 254
Well it's a very good thing I didn't go back to work yet. I need to find a job and daycare in a month. Instead of the ex going off to Kuwait sometime in May, one of his troops called him today and said that she was told(she's the niece of one of the bigwig chiefs on base so she hears everything) that they were supposed to be in country by April 16th. So that just kicks up my plans another month. Has me all in a panic. I know it's only February but you try to find affordable daycare for 3 kids at totally different ages and with 3 different needs and a new job to pay for all that! Panic time!
post #138 of 254
Thread Starter 
:Puke
Quote:
Originally Posted by justmama View Post
Well it's a very good thing I didn't go back to work yet. I need to find a job and daycare in a month. Instead of the ex going off to Kuwait sometime in May, one of his troops called him today and said that she was told(she's the niece of one of the bigwig chiefs on base so she hears everything) that they were supposed to be in country by April 16th. So that just kicks up my plans another month. Has me all in a panic. I know it's only February but you try to find affordable daycare for 3 kids at totally different ages and with 3 different needs and a new job to pay for all that! Panic time!
eek!

if you need a person to bounce stuff off of....i'm right here.

lots of icky bugs...........i am so grossed out!
i'll do it again in the morning

the fleas are thinning out......i am a dedicated picker:Puke

anything is better than poisoning the kid or the animals.......or myself
post #139 of 254
Oh no, justmama! You can do it. Just call around and check Craig's List (which means weeding through lotsa BS).

Aura Kitten, I'm so sorry for your poor dd. An ear infection to add to her misery? Poor girl...

I'm impressed at your diligence at bug-picking, ediesmom. I would be far too squeamish, I think. I'm a wuss at bugs.

I went to the eye doctor today. Wow, he's cute. Really. He also gave me two trial pairs of lenses to try before I spend any money on them. I can see so much better. Oh, and my right eye actually improved a lot he said.

Did anyone catch the lunar eclipse?
post #140 of 254
Thread Starter 
good morning mamas!

well....

edie has her pms today. i have never seen such clockwork meanness. i got a homeopathic remedy for this month....lets hope it works. i think its a fricken snake bite toxin

it is so hard to parent her without losing my crap.

'hon....could you grab your lunchbox?

its in my bag!!!!

yea, could you grab it please? (throws whole backpack on table)

your lunchbox, babe.....i'm cooking your lunch

(takes lunchbox out and throws it)

thanks, could you empty it out for me?

(opens lunchbox and empties trash onto table then throws lunchbox again)

thanks edie. can you brush your hair....

I HATE YOU!!!!!!!




OMG, its only 730

thank goodness its a daddy weekend (mixed blessing)



so, ALL of my 'paperwork' is due RIGHT NOW! taxes, fin.aid., housing, and foodstamp re-eval. and my head wants to slide under the covers for another whole day of nothingness.

i usually get back over 2000 for taxes..then i pay my winter bills with it. this year i get 700. which winter bill doesn't get paid, but gets shut off?

i am on day 7 without a cigarette.

Lankymy optometrist is hot, too. and he's a flirter.

congrats on the freebies. they are the best kind!

aura hows the lo? and the you? i didn't know that about tto.....i have sworn by it for years....maybe our immune systems just kick butt(a good thing)

pip, my pek, hates the garlic powder stuff i have been giving them. i think he'd rather starve. stella eats poop, so garlic is a step up for her

So, send me paperwork strength, mamas. i HAVE to get this crap done.

i think i am going through MAJOR withdrawals.....i was on vicodin for 6 months or so. its been days without it, now. on top oof the smoking. i might have been a bit addicted

i'm a mess

well, edie is almost ready for her morning de-lousing....off to pick some bugs

mamas!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Frugality & Finances
Mothering › Mothering Forums › Natural Living › The Mindful Home › Frugality & Finances › February Low Income Mama Support Thread