or Connect
Mothering › Mothering Forums › Natural Living › The Mindful Home › Organize & Declutter › Does This Clutter Make My Butt Look Fat?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Does This Clutter Make My Butt Look Fat? - Page 2

post #21 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by sewsew View Post
I too was disappointed in the show. ANYONE could declutter AND lose weight if they had a team come in and get rid of the crap FOR them. THEN the team came in and cleaned and painted everything. THEN Lowe's came in and put in all type of organizational tools. THEN someone GAVE them ALL BRAND NEW FURNITURE!!!!!!!!! Well hell's bells - My house would look terrific too in that case!!!!

I was hoping for more advice on how to do it myself!!!!!
I agree! I get so annoyed when they do things like this. How about showing people how to make a difference in their home without it costing them money? I too could have a great home if I paid professionals to do it for me!
post #22 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by organic-momma View Post
I agree! I get so annoyed when they do things like this. How about showing people how to make a difference in their home without it costing them money? I too could have a great home if I paid professionals to do it for me!
Not only that, but since the people didn't have to do any changes themselves, nothing important will change, and a year from now the house will be messy and the people fat.
post #23 of 27
I just went back and watched the DVRed show.

Did they throw away like most of their house?

How disappointing! The audience learned nothing on how to declutter or how to avoid building it back up again.
post #24 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by ustasmom View Post
I just went back and watched the DVRed show.

Did they throw away like most of their house?

How disappointing! The audience learned nothing on how to declutter or how to avoid building it back up again.
I was hoping for some tips too. That was my first exposure to Peter Walsh, though. He reminds me of the Rector at my church!
post #25 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by ustasmom View Post
I just went back and watched the DVRed show.

Did they throw away like most of their house?

How disappointing! The audience learned nothing on how to declutter or how to avoid building it back up again.
There's only about 40 minutes of show time available, they can't get too detailed. If we're talking about Sharyn and Marvin, the older couple, do you realize it took weeks to clear out the house? And that there was black mold from spoiled food, the furniture was damaged from mold too, and sections of the walls had to be removed along with the carpet? The home itself was toxic.

She has a mental disorder! The only reason they were able to go in and do what they did was that she was ready for help and willing to change. She wanted to get well. That's the first step. Many hoarders get stuck at that stage because the work to clean up is so overwhelming. In this case, the helpers were getting ill--Peter Walsh got a rash from the mold!

Let's be compassionate toward these people. They needed help and thanks to Oprah, Peter W. and a few home supply companies, they were able to get that help and by sharing their story, they'll encourage others to take the first steps toward recovery.
post #26 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by miss_sonja View Post
There's only about 40 minutes of show time available, they can't get too detailed. If we're talking about Sharyn and Marvin, the older couple, do you realize it took weeks to clear out the house? And that there was black mold from spoiled food, the furniture was damaged from mold too, and sections of the walls had to be removed along with the carpet? The home itself was toxic.

She has a mental disorder! The only reason they were able to go in and do what they did was that she was ready for help and willing to change. She wanted to get well. That's the first step. Many hoarders get stuck at that stage because the work to clean up is so overwhelming. In this case, the helpers were getting ill--Peter Walsh got a rash from the mold!

Let's be compassionate toward these people. They needed help and thanks to Oprah, Peter W. and a few home supply companies, they were able to get that help and by sharing their story, they'll encourage others to take the first steps toward recovery.
No this show wasn't about them. It was about a young-ish couple (late 30's early 40's??) with two young kids (12 and 13). I didn't see any mold. I think there might have been a different family?

Yes this house they basically THREW AWAY everything and started out fresh. But like a prev poster said, they didn't learn HOW to declutter and live simpler.

I agree they will probably junk it up again soon!
post #27 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by ustasmom View Post
I stalk Oprah's site since my daughter goes to school in Chicago and wanted to go to a taping.

For this show, they were looking for overweight families. People who had cupboards full of junk food and rarely cooked anything healthy. Those people also needed to have totally cluttered kitchens with lots of gadgets that they never used.

Oh gosh, this is so my husband. Why didn't I see this earlier? He is a hordaholic.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Organize & Declutter
Mothering › Mothering Forums › Natural Living › The Mindful Home › Organize & Declutter › Does This Clutter Make My Butt Look Fat?