or Connect
Mothering › Mothering Forums › Childhood and Beyond › Education › Learning at Home and Beyond › when is European American Month?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

when is European American Month?

post #1 of 123
Thread Starter 
This is NOT a rant, a genuine question:

and Asian American Month?
or Latino American Month?

why are there months singling out a group of people? do they not teach about cultures all year round? I don't understand the methodology here... wouldn't it just be American history all year round? why is there certain months ? what is the reason for this?
post #2 of 123
I can't remember when they are, but I do recall Disney Channell having all the theme songs in Chinese or Spanish for a month, for Chinese (or was it general Asian?) heritage month and Hispanic heritage month. I don't know if these are actual "official" months that repeat every year, or just a promotion that Disney did once.
post #3 of 123
I'm not sure if this is a rant or an attempt to start a conversation. Can you clarify?

How does Black History Month affect your homeschool?
post #4 of 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by MommyHawk View Post
when is European American Month?
uh, every month is European American Month
post #5 of 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by chfriend View Post
I'm not sure if this is a rant or an attempt to start a conversation. Can you clarify?

?
yeah, I don't get the question.:
post #6 of 123
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by chfriend View Post
I'm not sure if this is a rant or an attempt to start a conversation. Can you clarify?

How does Black History Month affect your homeschool?
not a rant really a question! I didn't have this in public school when I went so it's new to me to hear that this month is African American Month and that November is Native American Month. I was just wondering when the other nationalities that make up America are celebrated/observed/remembered - I just don't understand the reasoning behind having a month where you single out a people...do you just not learn/talk about that people the rest of the year? Maybe this is a question better asked else where, but I thought it fit here the best
post #7 of 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by MommyHawk View Post
do you just not learn/talk about that people the rest of the year?
Yeah, in your typical American school setting, you don't. The bias toward European/Judeo-Christian male history and culture is completely overwhelming. It will be a great day when we don't need Black History Month, or Native American History Month, or Women's History month, but the reality right now is that unless a certain time is set aside for them, they get overlooked.

ETA: Maybe you should edit your post title and clarify in your OP what you're getting at, because it really does come across as baiting.

dm
post #8 of 123
Perhaps you would consider changing your title then, if you are genuinely seeking out when different cultures are celebrated? I, like others, read it as if you were upset that there is a Black History Month.

And really, we celebrate European American all the time. Have you picked up a textbook lately?
post #9 of 123
This question always reminds me of my mother's answer to my question "why is there a mother's day and father's day but no kid's day?!?". Her answer, of course, was "every day is kid's day." So, in the United States, every day/month is European American day/month.
post #10 of 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by MommyHawk View Post
and Asian American Month?
or Latino American Month?

why are there any months singling out a minority? can't we just learn about cultures all year round? I don't understand the methodology here...
Looking past the original title on this one. You can learn whatever you want whenever you want, you don't need a calendar to tell you when to celebrate and learn about others. Why have those months, well why not? Why not celebrate those who have added to the tapestry of this country by giving them a special time to shine on top of learning about them during their none designated months.


African American History Month: February
Women's History Month: March
Asian/Pacific Heritage Month: May
Hispanic Heritage Month: September 15 to October 15
American Indian Heritage Month: November
post #11 of 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by mackysmama View Post
This question always reminds me of my mother's answer to my question "why is there a mother's day and father's day but no kid's day?!?". Her answer, of course, was "every day is kid's day." So, in the United States, every day/month is European American day/month.
Yes! I remember that answer too

I agree that at face value the question could appear sarcastic. I'm not suggesting your intent, but since others read it that way, could you clarify?

Thanks
post #12 of 123
I love how the universe looks out for me. I had a reply all set for this totally cliche, totally "can never move to the next level" question...and then my browser shut down.

So, um...yeah. Doesn't even deserve a response. But, definitely makes me
post #13 of 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by splendid View Post
African American History Month: February
Women's History Month: March
Asian/Pacific Heritage Month: May
Hispanic Heritage Month: September 15 to October 15
American Indian Heritage Month: November
And European American Month?

January, February, March, April, May, June, July, August, September, October, November, and December. Believe me, it's covered.
post #14 of 123
i clicked on the thread thinking there actually was a european american month! silly me! i was a little shocked! it does feel like our society has to "point out" the other cultures and it just doesn't all flow together and we celebrate the unique diversity that makes america so unique and diverse. with that being said, it does feel like you should be ashamed if you are european american in our present society. i, will admit, i grew up homeschooled so wasn't exposed to public schools and their agenda and "chopped up" textbooks. i understand..or at least i think i do....what you're getting at...why can't we just celebrate "ALL" the cultures year round instead of breaking it up....well the beauty of homeschool is....WE CAN!
post #15 of 123
Well, the reasons behind establishing AA History Month were noble. Unfortunately, since there is AA History Month, most schools make an (often half-hearted) effort to honor AA's *only* in February. The rest of the year, AA history and important AA persons are ignored. Same goes for other groups of "minorities".

So I'm not exactly sure if AA History Month is a good thing. Or some kind of soothing salve for a collective guilty conscience and nothing more. Sort of like the benefit concerts they have for underprivileged people in poor parts of the world.

FWIW, AA history is actually American history. I cannot wait till the day when AA history is not thought of and taught as something apart and separate.

This is one of the *main* reasons why I am choosing homeschool.

Oh, and AA history did not start with slavery and end with the Civil Right movement.
post #16 of 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by rootzdawta View Post
Well, the reasons behind establishing AA History Month were noble. Unfortunately, since there is AA History Month, most schools make an (often half-hearted) effort to honor AA's *only* in February. The rest of the year, AA history and important AA persons are ignored. Same goes for other groups of "minorities".

So I'm not exactly sure if AA History Month is a good thing. Or some kind of soothing salve for a collective guilty conscience and nothing more. Sort of like the benefit concerts they have for underprivileged people in poor parts of the world.

FWIW, AA history is actually American history. I cannot wait till the day when AA history is not thought of and taught as something apart and separate.

This is one of the *main* reasons why I am choosing homeschool.

Oh, and AA history did not start with slavery and end with the Civil Right movement.

So true.
post #17 of 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by rootzdawta View Post
FWIW, AA history is actually American history. I cannot wait till the day when AA history is not thought of and taught as something apart and separate.

This is one of the *main* reasons why I am choosing homeschool.

Oh, and AA history did not start with slavery and end with the Civil Right movement.
I was raised in the southern US as a public schooled child. I fully admit that in my youthful ignorance I thought it was absurd that there was an AA history month. : Now I don't hate that there IS one... I hate that there has to be one. I don't understand how in the 21st century textbooks are still printed with such a one sided view of history that leaves out an entire HUGE slice of the population? It's way past time those lopsided books get recycled and new ones printed where ANY person of historical note is included alongside the peers of their time.

And you said it perfectly above
Quote:
Oh, and AA history did not start with slavery and end with the Civil Right movement.



*Here I'm faced with helping my sons learn about Aboriginal history & culture...which I myself know zero about! What an adventure that will be!
post #18 of 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by rootzdawta View Post
Well, the reasons behind establishing AA History Month were noble. Unfortunately, since there is AA History Month, most schools make an (often half-hearted) effort to honor AA's *only* in February. The rest of the year, AA history and important AA persons are ignored. Same goes for other groups of "minorities".

So I'm not exactly sure if AA History Month is a good thing. Or some kind of soothing salve for a collective guilty conscience and nothing more. Sort of like the benefit concerts they have for underprivileged people in poor parts of the world.

FWIW, AA history is actually American history. I cannot wait till the day when AA history is not thought of and taught as something apart and separate.

This is one of the *main* reasons why I am choosing homeschool.

Oh, and AA history did not start with slavery and end with the Civil Right movement.

Thanks for sharing your insight
post #19 of 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by annettemarie View Post
And really, we celebrate European American all the time. Have you picked up a textbook lately?

Maybe that is the problem she hasn't. LOL

We don't do AA month because we do history from the begging to know. We hit cultures ALL cultures as they come. We also do things like we don't know much about these groups because -------------. History is bias because it is written by the victor.
post #20 of 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marsupialmom View Post
Maybe that is the problem she hasn't. LOL

We don't do AA month because we do history from the begging to know. We hit cultures ALL cultures as they come. We also do things like we don't know much about these groups because -------------. History is bias because it is written by the victor.
This does bring it all around nicely to homeschooling, doesn't it? I love that we can "right the wrongs" of traditional curriculum.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Learning at Home and Beyond
Mothering › Mothering Forums › Childhood and Beyond › Education › Learning at Home and Beyond › when is European American Month?