or Connect
Mothering › Mothering Forums › Childhood and Beyond › Education › Learning at Home and Beyond › when is European American Month?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

when is European American Month? - Page 2

post #21 of 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by griffin2004 View Post
uh, every month is European American Month
Exactly what I was going to say!
post #22 of 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by annettemarie View Post
This does bring it all around nicely to homeschooling, doesn't it? I love that we can "right the wrongs" of traditional curriculum.
Alternatively, some parents teach even more bias. You could teach your children nothing but your own religion and history from the POV of that religion and that everybody who isn't just like you is "wrong" or "less than human".

I don't think anybody on MDC thinks like that or teaches like that, but unfortunately these individuals do exist.
post #23 of 123
Black History Month is the shortest month of the year. Coincidence? I think not, but there are different months to celebrate some of the cultures, but it is by no means exhaustive. I do, however, think it is a step in heaqling a country founded on racism.
post #24 of 123
We frequently comment about it being the shortest month of the year, but the truth is that Carter G. Woodson chose the second week of February as Negro History Week very deliberately, because of the association with the birthdays of Abraham Lincoln and Frederick Douglass. It didn't expand to Black History Month until 1976.
post #25 of 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by griffin2004
uh, every month is European American Month
I was taught nothing but shame for being European American in history and I doubt 20 years later it has gotten any better. History isn't taught as European Heritage or that they did these things because they were European Americans like they do with other heritages. Nothing about it is a "celebration" of European Americans.
post #26 of 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyCalling View Post
I was taught nothing but shame for being European American in history and I doubt 20 years later it has gotten any better. History isn't taught as European Heritage or that they did these things because they were European Americans like they do with other heritages. Nothing about it is a "celebration" of European Americans.
In what way specifically are you talking about?
post #27 of 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyCalling View Post
I was taught nothing but shame for being European American in history and I doubt 20 years later it has gotten any better. History isn't taught as European Heritage or that they did these things because they were European Americans like they do with other heritages. Nothing about it is a "celebration" of European Americans.
Wow that was brave thing to post! I'd expect some backlash from that. I will say something else that may come off "controversal". One of the final factors that determined us pulling our dd's out of public school was "black history month". Both of my dd's as well as the rest of their white class spent a week doing busy work in class & learning nothing while the black students all got to participate in a week long celebration, learning environment, & a play at the end of the week celebrating their black history. Now while I understand the school was not purposefully trying to segregate the white students from the black my dd's were certainly not allowed to receive equel education that week. Further more the backlash from the white students was quite the opposite that I would think would be wanted. The white children were left with the resentment & attitude that the "blacks" got to do the fun stuff because they were "black". Now that we homeschool we try to teach history regardless of color. This year we have been learning history specific to our state which happens to be Louisiana. It has been very enjoyable to teach them about the foundation that the many cultrues helped to create. It would be IMPOSSIBLE to teach a fair and accurate history of Louisiana without spending quite a bit of time on cultures other than European.
post #28 of 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by rootzdawta View Post
In what way specifically are you talking about?

Maybe (if it was anything like my history classes growing up) pp was talking about how we are taught so strongly about how our forefathers did horrible things (not saying it wasn't...i dont agree with what they did so dont flame me) But the focus of the account of history was never positive on the side of the euro-americans. The list of bad deeds long...and not much time spent on things we COULD be proud of in our heritage. When I think about my heritage as a euro-american...i think what we did to Native Americans (which I happen to be partly, but wasnt raised with heritage about that side), what we did to African Americans, hispanics in states like California, Chinese Americans in railroad era, Japanese Americans during the ww II When we put them in "camps" because we didnt trust them...I could go on. Maybe we spent time sometimes on something good that "we" did, but it was so few and far between. It is a bit frustrating being educated in this manner because as a child I remember during these celebration months thinking it sucks to be white because we dont get to celebrate, and shame because of my "heritage", and also resentment because while the "other" races celebrated they also brought up over and over all my "white race transgressions" though I didnt do anything myself to harm them (in fact many of them were my friends any other time of the year when they were not reminded that somewhere back in history a euro american harmed a person of ____ american ) and I cant really be held responsable for the horrable things that happened in the past any more than I can help being born the skin color I am. I guess I feel if we are to have heritage moths there should be one for everyone because though the rest of history may be euro american biased in my experience it was far from a celebration of my heritage.
post #29 of 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by MommyHawk View Post
why are there any months singling out a minority? can't we just learn about cultures all year round? I don't understand the methodology here...
Well, I assume you are specifically referring to Black History Month. We have Black History Month because unlike other minorities, Blacks were brought here against their will, sold and traded like animals, viewed and treated (legally) as sub-human, and they physically build the foundation of this country for free.

Racism is still alive and well in the USofA. People need to be educated about the contributions of Black Americans, as well as the history surrounding how and why they are here.

There are many Black people who are not familiar with their own heritage because it was ripped away from them during the slave trade. Families were intentionally separated so as to break their spirits and to make it easier for them to be oppressed.

The fact that people don't know these things, or think these reasons are not important enough to dedicate a mere 28 days a year to honoring Black Americans is exactly why we need Black History Month.
post #30 of 123
Well I'm not an American so you can take this FWIW, but Canada has it's own set of racist problems, and I have spent a fair bit of time travelling int he states...... There is a _______ history month becuase otherwise there would be no way to force institutions to ntegrate that into curriculum. It's a bandaid that's for sure, Canada loves to talka bout how multi-cultural we are but I think that rederick actually serves to hide some very deeply ingrained racism's.

While there may be a long list of problems perpetrated by white settlers to the americans the basis of US history education is that where the nation is at now is thanks to the founding fathers, and where you are now is great! So while there may be specific examples of "bad" things the underlying assumption is that civilisations/capitalism etc was brought/created by white europeans.

History is written by the winners and the winners don't paint themselves in a basnsly the issues of racism hid the realities of class. In fact the history of the poor and working class is very often one of unity and integration, and that fact has been systematically written out of history by the powers that be. People who were so screwed they didnt' have the priveledge of segregation. Unfortunatly part of the problem with teaching real history like that is that it often involves digging deep as parents to find that history and then learning it oursleves.

I don't think it's good enough to simply talk about the hero's of the civil rights movement, or to say a lot of chinese people were killed. Beneth everyone of those historical fact there will be the heroic stories of a few regular folks, and we need to dig those out and present them alongside our founding fathers. Otherwise we are just painting a very untrue history of the white elite and the longsuffering masses in the "other races".........

Hope this makes sense, all hell is breaking loose around meeeee......
post #31 of 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mongoose View Post
Maybe (if it was anything like my history classes growing up) pp was talking about how we are taught so strongly about how our forefathers did horrible things (not saying it wasn't...i dont agree with what they did so dont flame me) But the focus of the account of history was never positive on the side of the euro-americans. The list of bad deeds long...and not much time spent on things we COULD be proud of in our heritage. When I think about my heritage as a euro-american...i think what we did to Native Americans (which I happen to be partly, but wasnt raised with heritage about that side), what we did to African Americans, hispanics in states like California, Chinese Americans in railroad era, Japanese Americans during the ww II When we put them in "camps" because we didnt trust them...I could go on. Maybe we spent time sometimes on something good that "we" did, but it was so few and far between. It is a bit frustrating being educated in this manner because as a child I remember during these celebration months thinking it sucks to be white because we dont get to celebrate, and shame because of my "heritage", and also resentment because while the "other" races celebrated they also brought up over and over all my "white race transgressions" though I didnt do anything myself to harm them (in fact many of them were my friends any other time of the year when they were not reminded that somewhere back in history a euro american harmed a person of ____ american ) and I cant really be held responsable for the horrable things that happened in the past any more than I can help being born the skin color I am. I guess I feel if we are to have heritage moths there should be one for everyone because though the rest of history may be euro american biased in my experience it was far from a celebration of my heritage.
Interesting.

What exactly would we be celebrating if we were to celebrate European heritage month?
post #32 of 123
Uh.......Why capitalism of course. Becuase we all know how bad the capitalists are always made to look. I bet they feel soooooooo guilty.......
post #33 of 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by rootzdawta View Post
What exactly would we be celebrating if we were to celebrate European heritage month?
And which European heritage? French? Italian? Greek?
post #34 of 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by htcamommy View Post
Wow that was brave thing to post! I'd expect some backlash from that. I will say something else that may come off "controversal". One of the final factors that determined us pulling our dd's out of public school was "black history month". Both of my dd's as well as the rest of their white class spent a week doing busy work in class & learning nothing while the black students all got to participate in a week long celebration, learning environment, & a play at the end of the week celebrating their black history. Now while I understand the school was not purposefully trying to segregate the white students from the black my dd's were certainly not allowed to receive equel education that week. Further more the backlash from the white students was quite the opposite that I would think would be wanted. The white children were left with the resentment & attitude that the "blacks" got to do the fun stuff because they were "black". Now that we homeschool we try to teach history regardless of color. This year we have been learning history specific to our state which happens to be Louisiana. It has been very enjoyable to teach them about the foundation that the many cultrues helped to create. It would be IMPOSSIBLE to teach a fair and accurate history of Louisiana without spending quite a bit of time on cultures other than European.
i'm sorry, but i have a very hard time believing this. you're saying that your kids school had a black history celebration which the white children were not allowed to participate in? really?
post #35 of 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrissy View Post
i'm sorry, but i have a very hard time believing this. you're saying that your kids school had a black history celebration which the white children were not allowed to participate in? really?
That seems pretty out there. But even if it is true, the problem is NOT Black History Month. The problem is the school and how they choose to observe it.
post #36 of 123
yes, absolutely.
post #37 of 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by Missy View Post
And European American Month?

January, February, March, April, May, June, July, August, September, October, November, and December. Believe me, it's covered.
This was the first thing that came to mind when I saw the title.
post #38 of 123
This is what I'm getting here...a lot of people don't seem to grasp that, when you talk about Columbus, when you talk about the arrival of the Mayflower, about Jamestown, about the original 13 colonies and the writing of the Declaration of Independence and the Constitution, about the Revolutionary War and George Washington and Thomas Jefferson, etc...etc...--THAT is European American History. When you read Hemingway and Faulkner and all the Great White Men that we studied in English--that, too, is on some level European American History. When you study Civics, and every. damn. presidential. campaign before this one--THAT is European American History. Our transgressions? That's the only time we're isolated out by our ethnicity, and so too often that's the only time we think about it. And sadly, the reason we're identified by our ethnicity then, is because we chose to persecute--and massacre--others because of theirs.

Not only did I teach history and use a variety of resources, dh has served on curriculum committees and we've seen and reviewed curriculum after curriculum and the bias I'm seeing described here just doesn't exist. I think that discomfort is making people put their own special little twist on what is really being taught.
post #39 of 123
oh yeah, i totally get what you're saying in your first paragraph missy, and i agree. i don't think i understand the second paragraph in your post though- especially the last sentence.
post #40 of 123
Let me try to clarify.

I don't think that the resources being used in the classroom even today reflect the bias I'm seeing described by several people in this thread. I have never seen a curriculum approved for public schools that presents European Americans in the extreme negative light suggested.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Learning at Home and Beyond
Mothering › Mothering Forums › Childhood and Beyond › Education › Learning at Home and Beyond › when is European American Month?