or Connect
Mothering › Mothering Forums › Mom › Talk Amongst Ourselves › Spirituality › LDS/Mormon Support Only Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

LDS/Mormon Support Only Thread - Page 8

post #141 of 628
I have no snacks in between meals, and I try to have no treats. I try to have a mental fast, read appropriate stuff, not frivolous. I try not to go online.

HTH.
post #142 of 628
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by lacysmommy View Post
Anyone else read translations other than the KJV?
I read the French one is a missionary. A friend of mine who served in Germany said their word for God in Genesis is plural. "Gods created the heavens and the earth..." My understanding is the Tongan one uses a plural, as well.
post #143 of 628
Thread Starter 
I just found this awesome website for LDS Enrishment ideas while I was looking for Eye Spy bag tutorials:

http://www.enrichmentcottage.com/

Wonderful little website!

To answer some previous questions -

The scripture that stands out to me the most isAlma 36 because that is the chapter that brought me back to the church. When Alma talks about a joy as great as was his pain, my heart just about jumped out of my body. If it is possible, then I want it! I wanted it badly! And that started my journey, to explore the Church again and find out if it is true.

And it is true. YOU CAN HAVE A JOY AS GREAT AS YOUR PAIN. That is the good news of the Church.

For fasting - one thing I do is give twice as much fast offering as I usually do, since I get the shakes if I go too long without eating.
post #144 of 628
Fasting
DH and I were asked to speak on that last mo. I was like, uh, I haven't fasted in 3 yrs., but ok! (in my head, I justge said yes to the counselor). I try not to have sweets b/c that is a huge sacrifice for me, so that's my way of trying to honor the law of fasting. I actually adopted that theory years ago b/c I get very shaky and sick w/o eating. As PPs said, I think it's the spirit of it more than the act of not eating. I also bear my testimony often.
post #145 of 628
Thread Starter 
My mother gave me some excellent advice for making flannel board figures today. She said that she usually buys laminate paper for the top, and then irons them onto Pelon fabric. The laminate helps them last longer and the Pelon actually works great on flannel. She said to make a flannel board she just bought flannel at JoAnn's and taped it to a big piece of cardboard.

I was looking at the Friend magazine and they have two types - one preprinted and colored, and one kids can color themselves. They also have coloring pages. They're pretty much set up for FHE with toddlers! Now I want to make a run to the DI to find old Friend Mags for their flannel board figures and coloring pages! Connor always breaks his crayons but Michaels sells sets for $1.00 (probably made by other children in China).

I hope everyone is having a nice week. I've been listening to the scriptures online while I play with the kids. It's easier then trying to carve out actual reading time.
post #146 of 628
Quote:
She said to make a flannel board she just bought flannel at JoAnn's and taped it to a big piece of cardboard.
For portability, storability, and to have a bigger board, you can buy one of those cardboard, tri-fold presentation boards at Staples or other office supply places and staple the felt to it.
post #147 of 628
That is awesome you can use stuff from the friend. I hadn't thought of that! It's also funny, cause I was at the library last week and brought home a book on flannel boards cause I think DD would love it! Love the idea of using it for FHE though, that's great! You can also trace and color on interfacing and then you don't need multiple layers-it will stick to flannel as is. The book I checked out also said you can use fleece for scenery pieces. I think I'm going to go w/ the tri fold thing b/c you can fold it back and it becomes its own tripod also, plus you can hide upcoming pieces inside the triangle.
post #148 of 628
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by ed_tricia View Post
That is awesome you can use stuff from the friend. I hadn't thought of that! It's also funny, cause I was at the library last week and brought home a book on flannel boards cause I think DD would love it! Love the idea of using it for FHE though, that's great! You can also trace and color on interfacing and then you don't need multiple layers-it will stick to flannel as is. The book I checked out also said you can use fleece for scenery pieces. I think I'm going to go w/ the tri fold thing b/c you can fold it back and it becomes its own tripod also, plus you can hide upcoming pieces inside the triangle.
What's the name of the book you bought?
post #149 of 628
You can also find PDF copies of the Friend issues at lds.org. So if you have a color printer, or don't care if it is black/white, you can just print out the pages at home. Just in case you have a hard time finding old copies.
post #150 of 628
I read in the ensign today about a family that only uses the friend as a reverence helper during sacrament meeting. I'm loving that idea since our church bag is getting really heavy! Plus I always feel a little bad throwing away the magazines so now i'll just keep them and let the kids really wear them out.

I'm having a really hard time balancing my life right now. I just feel like there is so much I want and need to do, but being productive on a regular basis seems impossible with a big family + baby. Something that has helped me is a scripture dh brought up in fhe "press forward with a steadfastness in faith, feasting upon the words of christ. It made me realize that when things get stressful, I tend to neglect my scripture study when in reality I should be intensifying it, and expecting to find hope, peace, and counsel therein. It helped today to just sit and read for a few minutes when i was feeling especially discouraged. I havent figured out how to not feel overwhelmed when i read something and the spirit tells me it applies to me. I get these big ideas about how im going to change this or that and then i give it a try and it all goes to pot. it is incredibly discouraging. I feel like I don't even want to be inspired right now because it will just add to the list of things I need to or want to do. Instead I feel like I'm watching the world go by while my baby sucks me dry and gives me sore nipples. (could he be ready for solids already?)
Don't get me wrong, I adore the little fella, and I'd love to be able to just sit around and enjoy him all day long, but I have 4 other kids and a hubby and a calling and friends and a house, and I really really don't function without lots of sleep so there you go.
post #151 of 628
Thread Starter 
The other scripture to remember is that we do not need to run faster than we have strength. My plans fail when I dive in too deep - instead the best thing is to start with little baby steps.

For scripture study, for example, instead of sitting down for 30 minutes of quiet time with my quad and study aids, which is a noble goal but almost impossible with little kids, I've been listening online while I do other things. In genealogy, I used to be able to spend hours researching, but now I carve out a little time on Sunday and do just one step. It's all about getting past the "all or nothing" mentality and taking tiny bites.

This is the season for little babies. Everything else really is secondary. Later will be the season for long study time and perfectly rotated food storage and immaculate living rooms.
post #152 of 628
Thread Starter 
I finally found a scrapbooking method even I can love - digital scrapbooking! I hate scrapbooking SO STINKIN MUCH but I picked up Hallmark's Scrapbook studio and all I have to do is insert photos and change the text and VOILA! Now I feel like a real Mormon housewife! All that's left is to start putting floral wreathes everywhere and actually wear make up and I'll be set.
post #153 of 628
Quote:
Originally Posted by alisaterry View Post

This is the season for little babies. Everything else really is secondary. Later will be the season for long study time and perfectly rotated food storage and immaculate living rooms.
I don't think I'll ever reach the season for immaculate living rooms...
post #154 of 628
http://www.mothering.com/articles/ne...-practice.html

Did any of you read this? I hadn't read it until I read ABOUT it in the New Beginnings (from LLL) this month. It really hit home to me--remembering that each act we do can really be an act of worship is really important.
post #155 of 628
Quote:
Originally Posted by momnloveit View Post
I read in the ensign today about a family that only uses the friend as a reverence helper during sacrament meeting. I'm loving that idea since our church bag is getting really heavy! Plus I always feel a little bad throwing away the magazines so now i'll just keep them and let the kids really wear them out.

I'm having a really hard time balancing my life right now. I just feel like there is so much I want and need to do, but being productive on a regular basis seems impossible with a big family + baby. Something that has helped me is a scripture dh brought up in fhe "press forward with a steadfastness in faith, feasting upon the words of christ. It made me realize that when things get stressful, I tend to neglect my scripture study when in reality I should be intensifying it, and expecting to find hope, peace, and counsel therein. It helped today to just sit and read for a few minutes when i was feeling especially discouraged. I havent figured out how to not feel overwhelmed when i read something and the spirit tells me it applies to me. I get these big ideas about how im going to change this or that and then i give it a try and it all goes to pot. it is incredibly discouraging. I feel like I don't even want to be inspired right now because it will just add to the list of things I need to or want to do. Instead I feel like I'm watching the world go by while my baby sucks me dry and gives me sore nipples. (could he be ready for solids already?)
Don't get me wrong, I adore the little fella, and I'd love to be able to just sit around and enjoy him all day long, but I have 4 other kids and a hubby and a calling and friends and a house, and I really really don't function without lots of sleep so there you go.
You are n ot alone in this! You are doing a great job and you know that HF is going to and is blessing you for doing what u r doing! Hang in there mama!
post #156 of 628
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by sebarnes View Post
I don't think I'll ever reach the season for immaculate living rooms...

One can dream.
post #157 of 628
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bekka View Post
http://www.mothering.com/articles/ne...-practice.html

Did any of you read this? I hadn't read it until I read ABOUT it in the New Beginnings (from LLL) this month. It really hit home to me--remembering that each act we do can really be an act of worship is really important.
What a fascinating perspective! I'll have to ponder this for a while. Thank you for bringing it to our attention.
post #158 of 628
Quote:
Originally Posted by alisaterry View Post
This is the season for little babies. Everything else really is secondary. Later will be the season for long study time and perfectly rotated food storage and immaculate living rooms.
Ohhhh that will be so nice. And the season to be able to go to the movies w/your husband whenever you want!

Do you guys ever get bored on Sundays? This was the hardest thing for me when I joined the church...not going out on Sundays, etc. I think we're going to start inviting a family over for Sunday dinners again!
post #159 of 628
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by mimiharshe View Post
Ohhhh that will be so nice. And the season to be able to go to the movies w/your husband whenever you want!

Do you guys ever get bored on Sundays? This was the hardest thing for me when I joined the church...not going out on Sundays, etc. I think we're going to start inviting a family over for Sunday dinners again!
Heck no. Maybe because we're old and like to stay home. We snuggle in bed to read the paper, take a long nap after church, read books, take walks when the weather is nice - We probably need to be MORE productive on Sundays! Before children I made Sundays my home spa day. So nice!
post #160 of 628
Quote:
Originally Posted by alisaterry View Post
Heck no. Maybe because we're old and like to stay home. We snuggle in bed to read the paper, take a long nap after church, read books, take walks when the weather is nice - We probably need to be MORE productive on Sundays! Before children I made Sundays my home spa day. So nice!
Ok, how old are your kids? How do manage that?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Spirituality
Mothering › Mothering Forums › Mom › Talk Amongst Ourselves › Spirituality › LDS/Mormon Support Only Thread