or Connect
Mothering › Mothering Forums › Archives › Pregnancy and Birth Archives › Due Date Clubs 2004 - 2008  › October 2008 › Favorite Babywearing Carriers
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Favorite Babywearing Carriers

post #1 of 28
Thread Starter 
I only have a Mamma's Milk sling (the non-adjustable one and it was a little small on me for my bub when I weighed only 105!!!) and an Infantino sling. I am not terribly happy with either of them and am looking for a new one both for Petri now and for my LO in October. I was really drawn to the Ellaroo Mei Tai (and Mei Tai's in general) and the Maya Wraps. I guess the fact that those styles have both been used for SOOOO many years in Asia/Latin America that I am drawn to those. What are your favorite styles/brands? Thanks! And Im also looking for ones that cost less than 80 - 100+. DH and I absolutely cannot afford that! We are looking more in the 20 - 40 dollar range.
post #2 of 28
WAHM ring slings can fit your budget, and they're my favourite. If you can sew at all, you can make one, too. They're super simple and you can make them very inexpensively. You can also make a wrap, just get 5-6 yards of fabric. a stretchy knit is good for the newborn stage, but you want a woven (no stretchy) fabric for older kids. Some people say you shouldn't make your own wraps and that they're not the same as the $100 wraps, but honestly I can't tell the difference.
post #3 of 28
Ergo all the way! Never going back...
post #4 of 28
Oh, I am so excited to see this thread! I was going to start one eventually to see what everybody has or is going to get! I have a Kangaroo Korner Adjustable Fleece Pouch, a Babyhawk Mei Tai and a Didymos wrap. I am hoping we have a boy so I can buy another wrap (mine is purple). I am totally into the wraps. For your new babe, I would totally recommend a stretchy wrap like a Moby (only $40, or less on the TP or thebabywearer.com). Totally check out thebabywearer.com, they have more used carriers than on the mothering TP. (Just a hint to save some money). I liked using a stretchy wrap for my newborn over the mei tai and loved my pouch for when I started putting her on my hip. But once she got bigger, the Didymos got the prize, love, love, love it!! I am wondering if I should give a RS a try? Any other opinions out there?
post #5 of 28
I got a used Celtic Freehand when DS was 2. I love it, and the mama on the babywearing swap yahoo group that sold it to me was kind enough to let it go for what I could afford ($45 I think it was). I last used it a couple of months ago, DS is now almost 5. I'm sure I could still carry him using it!
post #6 of 28
I'm also excited to see this thread! I'm a first time mommy and I love the idea of slings and plan to use them. But, I know nothing about which ones are good and which ones aren't! Taking notes!
post #7 of 28
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by CindyCindy View Post
Oh, I am so excited to see this thread! I was going to start one eventually to see what everybody has or is going to get! I have a Kangaroo Korner Adjustable Fleece Pouch, a Babyhawk Mei Tai and a Didymos wrap. I am hoping we have a boy so I can buy another wrap (mine is purple). I am totally into the wraps. For your new babe, I would totally recommend a stretchy wrap like a Moby (only $40, or less on the TP or thebabywearer.com). Totally check out thebabywearer.com, they have more used carriers than on the mothering TP. (Just a hint to save some money). I liked using a stretchy wrap for my newborn over the mei tai and loved my pouch for when I started putting her on my hip. But once she got bigger, the Didymos got the prize, love, love, love it!! I am wondering if I should give a RS a try? Any other opinions out there?
I didnt realize that newborns needed a stretchy wrap, will look into the Moby wraps! And am going to the site right after I post! thanks And I saw an awesome Baby Hawk used Met Tai on eBay (claimed it was only used 5 times) for ATM $29. Hopefully it doesnt go up too much lol! Cuz I looked on the site and those were 90+...
post #8 of 28
I use a fleece pouch for newborns, a ring sling for infants and an ergo for toddlers. I was just about to order a new ring sling. I have the other 2 already.
post #9 of 28
I've used:

Baby Bjorn: Not so crazy about it, but DH likes it.
Moby Wrap: Good for newborns. I found it stretched out easily and I was constantly having to adjust it and tighten it. Plus I felt swaddled in fabric and it was a pain to get in and out of.
Hotsling: Loved it, but was never able to figure out a hip carry with it (yes I tried flipping the shoulder). I love that it's got good "popability" and it folds down small for a diaper bag.
Ellaroo Ring Sling: My favorite, hands down. Very versatile and adjustable.
Homemade Mei Tai: A friend of mine makes Joey Pockets and she shared her pattern with me I really liked it, but I didn't try it until my daughter was about a year old and she balked at it. I'm interested to try one with a newborn next time.
post #10 of 28
Thread Starter 
Well I have decided that I am going to invest in 3 new ones (1) a stretchy wrap for newborn... Mobywrap I guess but will look for more (2) a ring sling, again not set in stone on brand (3) a mei tai!

And thanks for recommending thebabywearer.com It was awesome and so helpful!
post #11 of 28
There is a brown new moby on the TP right now for 30 I think. I just bought a zolowear sling. I had one way back when and hated it but my best friend got one of the newer designs and she says they've changed the shoulder and it's more comfy now. I've been eyeballing it for about a year and it was on clearance today!!!!
post #12 of 28
Thread Starter 
lol, so confused. what is the TP?
post #13 of 28
Trading post. You may not have access yet. Sorry. If you do, it'll be at the toolbar up top.
post #14 of 28
I will get a wrap and make a ring sling for this baby while s/he's small, and when s/he's big enough I'll use my babyhawk. I have a peanut shell pouch sling that is okay, but it's not my favorite. I've used a hotsling, and as far as pouches go, I like it much better.
post #15 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by triple07 View Post
I didnt realize that newborns needed a stretchy wrap, will look into the Moby wraps! And am going to the site right after I post! thanks And I saw an awesome Baby Hawk used Met Tai on eBay (claimed it was only used 5 times) for ATM $29. Hopefully it doesnt go up too much lol! Cuz I looked on the site and those were 90+...
That's a great price for the BH! I paid $95 for mine!! You can easily make one, too, if you're handy with a sewing machine.. I didn't realize just how simple they are until I got mine, then kicked myself for it, lol.
post #16 of 28
I love my Maya wrap and I'm sure I'll use it with this babe. I also have an Over the Shoulder Baby Holder which I often find better for housework since it lacks the long tail. But I use the Maya on walks and out and about.

I have an Ella Roo Podeagi which I *love*

And I haev an Ella Roo wrap which I used some with my youngest after he got to toddler years, but it was given to me and I feel it's too big. I will probably try and sell it and buy ones size smaller

Eventually I'd like to add a mei tai to the collection. May wait for toddler for that, or an Ergo.
post #17 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skrimpy View Post
I love my Maya wrap and I'm sure I'll use it with this babe. I also have an Over the Shoulder Baby Holder which I often find better for housework since it lacks the long tail. But I use the Maya on walks and out and about.

I have an Ella Roo Podeagi which I *love*

And I haev an Ella Roo wrap which I used some with my youngest after he got to toddler years, but it was given to me and I feel it's too big. I will probably try and sell it and buy ones size smaller

Eventually I'd like to add a mei tai to the collection. May wait for toddler for that, or an Ergo.
I tried an ergo a few times, but it's uncomfortable to me, the straps where it adjusts behind the arms, I just couldn't get used to. Love my BH, though.
post #18 of 28
I'm excited to get a new babyhawk for this little one, and maybe a hotsling. I also want to get something for DH, since he thinks the fabrics of the other carriers are too "girly." Does anyone know how ergos compare to baby bjorns? We had an infantino back/front pack and hated it, so I'm willing to shell out a little more money if it means DH will participate.
post #19 of 28
Ergos are so much better then baby bjorns, even though I don't like 'em It's softer imo then a bjorn, and just like a MT except you have buckles instead of long straps. And they're very manly You can get non-girly BH, just solid colors and such.
post #20 of 28
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bee21 View Post
I'm excited to get a new babyhawk for this little one, and maybe a hotsling. I also want to get something for DH, since he thinks the fabrics of the other carriers are too "girly." Does anyone know how ergos compare to baby bjorns? We had an infantino back/front pack and hated it, so I'm willing to shell out a little more money if it means DH will participate.
I love it because last night I was looking at different BH carriers and asked DH to come and see what he liked and he, very seriously, was like I really dont care what it looks like. I will use it if it is pink and purple with ruffles, just buy one that isnt as high as a mortgage payment (he can be a lil dramatic lol)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: October 2008
Mothering › Mothering Forums › Archives › Pregnancy and Birth Archives › Due Date Clubs 2004 - 2008  › October 2008 › Favorite Babywearing Carriers