or Connect
Mothering › Mothering Forums › Pregnancy and Birth › Fertility › Infertility › The March 2008 Infertility ONE Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The March 2008 Infertility ONE Thread - Page 5

post #81 of 248
For that price we might as well just do ivf. How do you decide to move onto that step?

poetgirl,
for that exact reason...
a few cycles of clomid/iui's, that seemed a reasonable start, time and money-wise.
but when we 'got done' with them, staring down a few cycles of the next step injectables/iui's, well, 3 of them cost the same as 1 ivf and the odds were better for ivf. so we just skipped right to ivf.

when we had our meeting with our r.e., she gave us the same run-down as you got. but for some reason, the #'s seemed promising to me, coming from a place of no success. but standing where i am now, it feels different. i feel more vulnerable/desparate/worried. because we are 'there'... there is no next step. this is it. so the numbers look less solid, if that makes sense.

I can get 3 months of injectable meds for $35!!

mermay, that is such a great price. i have med-envy! we have no coverage, but we have the savings set aside so i suppose worrying about it is a moot point.
post #82 of 248
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by songbird45 View Post
mischevium, can you change my description to match my current signature? AF started today, so we're on to cycle 2 with Clomid.
done, and BIG hug to you, songbird .

Quote:
Originally Posted by ItyBty View Post
I just want to say thank you for starting this thread. I've been a member of the TTC 12+ months thread for a long time now, and it was really hard to see all the "noobies" coming and going, while I was still there. I mean, I'm not happy that there are this many people in the same boat as I am, because I wouldn't wish this on anyone, but at the same time, I am really glad to not be alone in this, if you know what I mean.
Quote:
Originally Posted by poetgirl View Post
p.s. I agree w/ Ity. This thread is good company for a tough road. Thanks Mischievium for starting it.
: Glad to be of service.:


So... I came home this evening to a long message on the answering machine. The urologist finally got back to us with the results of DH's repeat SA (the other one was ordered by my OB and was done at a different lab, this one was done at the lab that the urologist oversees). The count/ concentration was normal (34 million again, my DH is nothing if not consistent!), the motility and morphology was normal, the "strict morphology" was a little low (but the MD said this was not really a problem), and the blood tests (hormone levels) were normal. What was not normal was that the sperm were "severely clumped," which according to our MD is highly indicative of antisperm antibodies. DH needs to have a repeat SA done so that they can do a special stain that will confirm/ refute this diagnosis, then the MD wants to meet with us to discuss treatment options, he said something about immunosupressive therapy (corticosteroids) before the answering machine cut him off. I'm trying not to freak out here (read: cry), but what little I can find about it on google indicates that IVF with ICSI is the best chance for conceiving. I guess I just have to wait and see what the next SA says and what the MD says about treatment. Have I mentioned I hate waiting?
post #83 of 248
Quote:
Originally Posted by mischievium View Post
So... I came home this evening to a long message on the answering machine. The urologist finally got back to us with the results of DH's repeat SA (the other one was ordered by my OB and was done at a different lab, this one was done at the lab that the urologist oversees). The count/ concentration was normal (34 million again, my DH is nothing if not consistent!), the motility and morphology was normal, the "strict morphology" was a little low (but the MD said this was not really a problem), and the blood tests (hormone levels) were normal. What was not normal was that the sperm were "severely clumped," which according to our MD is highly indicative antisperm antibodies. DH needs to have a repeat SA done so that they can do a special stain that will confirm/ refute this diagnosis, then the MD wants to meet with us to discuss treatment options, he said something about immunosupressive therapy (corticosteroids) before the answering machine cut him off. I'm trying not to freak out here (read: cry), but what little I can find about it on google indicates that IVF with ICSI is the best chance for conceiving. I guess I just have to wait and see what the next SA says and what the MD says about treatment. Have I mentioned I hate waiting?
Oh M. I am so sorry. First for hearing this on an answering machine that cut off no less. Second for having to wait yet again. And lastly for the potential of this becoming more difficult for you two.
I don't much about this and I don't know how far you want to go before this really is/is not an issue but there is a book called (forgive the title) "Is your Body Baby-friendly?" by Dr. Alan Beer that discusses in length autoimmune issues and here in Daly City I think (SSF) there is a Dr. Christo Louves (goivf.com) who is a predecessor of Dr. Beer who does a lot of diff. kinds of immune testing...may be more than you want to take on right now, but in the event that you just need information to help you deal with this possibility. I'm really sorry. More
post #84 of 248
Quote:
Originally Posted by soulshine View Post
For that price we might as well just do ivf. How do you decide to move onto that step?

poetgirl,
for that exact reason...
a few cycles of clomid/iui's, that seemed a reasonable start, time and money-wise.
but when we 'got done' with them, staring down a few cycles of the next step injectables/iui's, well, 3 of them cost the same as 1 ivf and the odds were better for ivf. so we just skipped right to ivf.

when we had our meeting with our r.e., she gave us the same run-down as you got. but for some reason, the #'s seemed promising to me, coming from a place of no success. but standing where i am now, it feels different. i feel more vulnerable/desparate/worried. because we are 'there'... there is no next step. this is it. so the numbers look less solid, if that makes sense.

I can get 3 months of injectable meds for $35!!

mermay, that is such a great price. i have med-envy! we have no coverage, but we have the savings set aside so i suppose worrying about it is a moot point.
Thanks Soulshine. Good to know I guess that you got the same run-down...maybe that's sort of standard, and you're right, it's not like it's zero so there is always hope in that. Just requires a readjustment. I can imagine this stage would feel more vulnerable. Sending good thoughts your way. I hope ivf is very successsful for you.

And wow! Mermay, I have med-envy too!

Question for Canadian Mamas: I will be moving to Michigan this summer (closer to Canada!). Is it possible to purchase inject. meds there? Does anyone know how much they are if you buy them outright? Thanks.
post #85 of 248
Quote:
Originally Posted by poetgirl View Post
Question for Canadian Mamas: I will be moving to Michigan this summer (closer to Canada!). Is it possible to purchase inject. meds there? Does anyone know how much they are if you buy them outright? Thanks.
Ummm, well, they certainly are happy for me to purchase injectibles... LOL. What are you looking at purchasing? I'm not sure whether it's legal to purchase in Canada if you're a resident of the US - you'd have to look into that. And no idea if pricing varies depending on residency. For what it's worth, my IVF meds total about $3k per cycle. But I think you're not doing IVF yet?
post #86 of 248
Hello,

I am new here but I was hoping to be able to post.

I am 29 and have been ttc for over 2 1/2 years now. I was diagnosed with PCOS a few years ago. I have been at the fertility clinic for over 6 months. I have been on clomid for over 1 year now. I had an HSG done last week that saw I had a heart shaped uterus and possible blockage in my left tube.

I am now scheduled to get a laparoscopy, hysteroscopy and ovarian drilling mid-April.

I never want to give up but the road has been long and difficult for us. I am hoping to get some results with the above procedures.

Nice to meet everyone.
post #87 of 248
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perdita_in_Ontario View Post
Ummm, well, they certainly are happy for me to purchase injectibles... LOL. What are you looking at purchasing? I'm not sure whether it's legal to purchase in Canada if you're a resident of the US - you'd have to look into that. And no idea if pricing varies depending on residency. For what it's worth, my IVF meds total about $3k per cycle. But I think you're not doing IVF yet?
No, not IVF yet, but my RE is interested in us not doing Clomid too long before we move onto inject./IUI and so I was just wondering if gonal-f pens/trigger shots (ghastly expensive as they are) are cheaper in Canada but it sounds like they are still quite expensive. Thanks for the info.
post #88 of 248
Quote:
Originally Posted by poetgirl View Post
No, not IVF yet, but my RE is interested in us not doing Clomid too long before we move onto inject./IUI and so I was just wondering if gonal-f pens/trigger shots (ghastly expensive as they are) are cheaper in Canada but it sounds like they are still quite expensive. Thanks for the info.
They are expensive - keep in mind I'm on a very high dose of FSH though.. it's not that expensive for everyone!
post #89 of 248
I'm in complete shock and awe! I just got a BFP!!!
post #90 of 248
GreenFlower, CONGRATULATIONS!!!! I'm so happy for you - you've been through a lot.
post #91 of 248
Quote:
Originally Posted by KittyPaws View Post
Hello,

I am new here but I was hoping to be able to post.

I am 29 and have been ttc for over 2 1/2 years now. I was diagnosed with PCOS a few years ago. I have been at the fertility clinic for over 6 months. I have been on clomid for over 1 year now. I had an HSG done last week that saw I had a heart shaped uterus and possible blockage in my left tube.

I am now scheduled to get a laparoscopy, hysteroscopy and ovarian drilling mid-April.

I never want to give up but the road has been long and difficult for us. I am hoping to get some results with the above procedures.

Nice to meet everyone.
Bless your heart!!! That doesn't sound fun at all!! I hope you get some answers from your upcoming procedures!!!

BTW - Welcome!!
post #92 of 248
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenFlower View Post
I'm in complete shock and awe! I just got a BFP!!!
AWESOME!!!!! CONGRATS!!!!!!!!
post #93 of 248
Hello everyone! Could I please be added too? We are starting our first ivf cycle d/t severe male factor infertility (CBAVD). We are planning for IVF w/ ICSI. DH will be having Tesa on april fools day, so we are praying that his swimmers are good. I am on day 4 having just started the BCP yesterday. We are looking at egg retreival in 5 weeks or so. We are excited and hopeful, and i am happy to have resources like this to discuss the various challenges of infertility.
post #94 of 248
Greenflower - I am so happy for you! Congratulations !!!!!

post #95 of 248
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perdita_in_Ontario View Post
Ummm, well, they certainly are happy for me to purchase injectibles... LOL. What are you looking at purchasing? I'm not sure whether it's legal to purchase in Canada if you're a resident of the US - you'd have to look into that. And no idea if pricing varies depending on residency. For what it's worth, my IVF meds total about $3k per cycle. But I think you're not doing IVF yet?
perdita

hi! how are you. it has been a while since i have talked to you. well dh is scheduled for tesa on april 1. i am just starting bc now and feeling really poopy:i didn't know you cycled in dec/jan. i am sorry to hear that it didn't go well. that day 3 vs day 5 debate really gets me stressed. to me the embies will always have a better chance in the womb than in a petri dish. i would much rather have them put them in earlier b/c even if it doesn't work you don't have to play that "what if they had put them back at day 3?" game. we are going for our ivf consult tomorrow so i think she will tell use meds and what their lab likes to do with regards to day 3 vs day 5. What meds are you on this cycle? Did you DH have another TESA or did you have left overs still? Was your dd conceived on fresh or frozen swimmers? And also i can't rave enough about using acup before and during your cycle. My acup had 5 out of 6 confirmed pregnancies last week...3 with ivf and 2 that got preg while awaiting an ivf cycle. i think anyone that is going down the infertility road should try it. The invest is nothing compared to IUI and IVF, not to mention it is a lot healthier for your body to get preggers naturally. That is just my 2 cents though.
post #96 of 248

I guess I live here now



I've been all over TTC, several due-date clubs, and PALS. I guess this is the right forum for me now. DH and I have gotten pregnant three times in the last year, and lost all three (at 10wks, 12wks, 5.5wks). The last miscarriage was a week ago. Now it looks like we can't just go natural but will require the help of specialists, as it would be mad to continue to get pregnant and miscarry again and again.

So, um, can I join your club?
post #97 of 248
i think anyone that is going down the infertility road should try it. The invest is nothing compared to IUI and IVF, not to mention it is a lot healthier for your body to get preggers naturally. That is just my 2 cents though.

kristinc, i totally agree with this. i always felt this way, but reading the book 'the infertility cure' by randine lewis totally sealed the deal for me... i only wish i had come to it sooner than i did. the key is to make sure you are going to an acupuncturist that specializes in fertility.

and, congratulations to greenflower! you must be feeling so awesome right now!
post #98 of 248
Hi Kristin - really nice to see you here and I'm glad things are progressing so quickly for you.

I talked to my RE last cycle about the bcps because I always get very queasy with them. He told me that they can be taken very effectively vaginally and that really reduces the side effects so that's what I'm going to be doing this time. Worth asking about?

We got 8 vials of sperm from DH's TESA in 2004, so we still have 5 vials left lucky for us. We've never had an embryo make it to freeze - on our first cycle only 3 eggs fertilized - one is DD, one other didn't implant and the other didn't make it to freeze. RE thinks we may have slightly more fragile embryos than average for whatever reason. Or bad luck.

I'm thinking about accu. The problem is that the best guy in town is about a 45 minute drive from work. Not sure I can work that into my schedule - but we're going to think about it!

Good luck with your cycle - crossing my fingers for "beginner's luck" for you!!
post #99 of 248
Mara, welcome and good luck with your next step. None of us really wanted to end up here, but here we are. It helps me not to feel so alone.

Yesterday my mother told me that I shouldn't get "stressed out" about all this, because if I'm stressed I'll never get pregnant. What do you say to stupid comments like this? I told her that I am not stressed, but I have to be mindful of everything so that I do what I'm supposed to do correctly and so that I am informed about potential side effects, etc. But I really didn't appreciate that comment. If she wasn't my mother I wouldn't ever tell her anything.
post #100 of 248
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by poetgirl View Post
Question for Canadian Mamas: I will be moving to Michigan this summer (closer to Canada!). Is it possible to purchase inject. meds there? Does anyone know how much they are if you buy them outright? Thanks.
Thanks for the love, Poet. We had been playing phone tag with the doc, I don't think he usually leaves such information on an answering machine-- and, frankly, I just wanted the results, so I'm fine with it. DH is supposed to call him back today and get more info and schedule another SA.

You're moving to Michigan! I've only been there once, to Ann Arbor which was a nice college town.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KittyPaws View Post
Hello,

I am new here but I was hoping to be able to post.

I am 29 and have been ttc for over 2 1/2 years now. I was diagnosed with PCOS a few years ago. I have been at the fertility clinic for over 6 months. I have been on clomid for over 1 year now. I had an HSG done last week that saw I had a heart shaped uterus and possible blockage in my left tube.

I am now scheduled to get a laparoscopy, hysteroscopy and ovarian drilling mid-April.
You have been added to the list. I'm so sorry to hear about all you've been through (and are about to go through) .

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenFlower View Post
I'm in complete shock and awe! I just got a BFP!!!

:CONGRATULATIONS
, GreenFlower! :

Let me know if and when you want me to officially move you to the graduate list!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kristinc View Post
Hello everyone! Could I please be added too? We are starting our first ivf cycle d/t severe male factor infertility (CBAVD). We are planning for IVF w/ ICSI. DH will be having Tesa on april fools day, so we are praying that his swimmers are good. I am on day 4 having just started the BCP yesterday. We are looking at egg retreival in 5 weeks or so. We are excited and hopeful, and i am happy to have resources like this to discuss the various challenges of infertility.
Hi Kristin, consider yourself added! I'll be keeping my : for you for the next several weeks!
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeasleyMum View Post


I've been all over TTC, several due-date clubs, and PALS. I guess this is the right forum for me now. DH and I have gotten pregnant three times in the last year, and lost all three (at 10wks, 12wks, 5.5wks). The last miscarriage was a week ago. Now it looks like we can't just go natural but will require the help of specialists, as it would be mad to continue to get pregnant and miscarry again and again.

So, um, can I join your club?
Mara, honey, I have followed your story a bit around the boards, I'm so sorry for all of your losses . Of course you can join the "club," I hope your docs are able to figure out what's going on and that you don't need to be here for long.

Quote:
Originally Posted by songbird45 View Post
Yesterday my mother told me that I shouldn't get "stressed out" about all this, because if I'm stressed I'll never get pregnant. What do you say to stupid comments like this? I told her that I am not stressed, but I have to be mindful of everything so that I do what I'm supposed to do correctly and so that I am informed about potential side effects, etc. But I really didn't appreciate that comment. If she wasn't my mother I wouldn't ever tell her anything.
I don't get why people think saying this helps-- it just makes me feel more stressed and misunderstood. Infertility is STRESSFUL, I don't think we can magically wish the stress/anxiety away, just find ways to cope with it (vent, take yoga, etc.). And, for me at least, researching things, using OPKs, being on top of what's going on helps me feel less stressed.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Infertility
Mothering › Mothering Forums › Pregnancy and Birth › Fertility › Infertility › The March 2008 Infertility ONE Thread