The Washington Post article is a beautiful example of the scare tactics doctors use to convince women to reduce. Again - with quads the risks are higher and more real - but triplets... I just look back and I don't understand.
From the article -
"In 2005, I spent two days with Evans, where the first reduction patient was the distressed woman who had become pregnant with triplets. Triplets pregnancies are far riskier than most people realize: Carrying three babies to term would more than double the woman's risk of developing the most severe diseases of pregnancy, such as preeclampsia. The average triplet is born two months premature, significantly raising the risk of disabilities such as cerebral palsy and of lifelong damage to the infant's lungs, eyes, brain and other organs. By reducing the pregnancy to twins, the woman and her husband would decrease the risk of severe prematurity. And the risk of losing her entire pregnancy would fall from 15 percent to 4 percent."
I read this article when I was trying to decide. I guess one thing that got me was "the distressed woman." Made me feel *I* should be distressed. She's distressed, I should be distressed. All these doubled risks and significantly raised risks of this and that... it makes the whole thing sound so terrifying when you are facing the decision! On the one hand you want all those children. On the other you want what is best for those children. And "facts" like these scared me to death - but I look back and I am like, oh my god. "Doubled" sounds so scary - but doubled from WHAT? "Significantly raises" sounds so risky - but significant compared to WHAT? Are we talking a 60% chance vs. a 30% chance... or are we talking a 10% chance vs. a 5% chance? These were things I didn't think to ask - I just trusted my doctors wouldn't be reccomending this horrible procedure if there wasn't a good reason.
(And to them there was a good reason - THEIR bottom line!!!)
I hate the fact that I was a psych major in college and we did so many studies where we totally played with statistics to make our results prove our theories... yet I didn't think of these things.
There is a point later in that article where a woman has 3 girls and wants to keep all three... and is told, no, you can't keep all 3... man, it drives me batty to think how weak and scared I was feeling back then. That is how I felt. I read that and I thought, she can't keep all 3. I can't keep all 3. No one else wants me to keep all 3.
I hate that article.
I hate that anyone is ever faced with this choice.