With my first pregnancy, I was cautious about this kind of stuff. Since then I've found out about the health benefits of raw milk from grass fed cows and have been drinking it for about 2 yrs. I eat queso cheese dip when we go out for Mexican and don't really worry about it. The CDC's own stats on food borne illness show that SALAD and FRUITS/VEGGIES are MORE likely to sicken someone than eggs, chicken or milk (raw or pasteurized). When was the last time the FDA warned pregnant women to not eat their fruits and veggies?? From www.realmilk.com power point presentation (using CDC reports):
On a case-by-case basis, persons consuming milk from ANY source (raw or pasteurized) are:
30 times more likely to become ill from fruits and vegetables
13 times more likely to become ill from beef
11 times more likely to become ill from chicken
10 times more likely to become ill from potato salad
2.7 times more likely to become ill from non-dairy beverages
1997, 28 persons ill from Salmonella in California, ALL FROM PASTEURIZED MILK.
1996, 46 persons ill from Campylobacter & Salmonella in California.
1994, 105 persons ill from E. coil and Listeria in California
March of 1985 19,660 confirmed cases of Salmonella typhimurium illness FROM CONSUMING PROPERLY PASTEURIZED MILK. Over 200,000 people ill from Salmonella typhimurium in PASTEURIZED MILK
1985, 142 cases and 47 deaths traced to PASTEURIZED Mexican-style cheese contaminated with Listeria monocytogenes. Listeria monocytogenes SURVIVES PASTEURIZATION!
1985, 1500 persons ill from Salmonella infection
August of 1984 approximately 200 persons became ill with a Salmonella typhimurium from CONSUMING PASTEURIZED MILK
November of 1984, another outbreak of Salmonella typhimurium illness from CONSUMING PASTEURIZED MILK
1983, over 49 persons with Listeria illness have been associated with the consumption of PASTEURIZED MILK in Massachusetts.
1993, 28 persons ill from Salmonella infection
1982, 172 persons ill (100 hospitalized) from a three Southern state area from PASTEURIZED MILK.
1982, over 17,000 persons became ill with Yersinia enterocolitica from PASTEURIZED MILK bottled in Memphis, Tennessee.
Massachusetts, June 1996, 38 persons ill and possibly contributing to one death from food contaminated with Salmonella served in a Wendy’s restaurant.
Idaho, September 1995, 11 people ill due to E. coil 0157:H7 traced to food eaten in a Chili’s restaurant in Boise.
Florida, August 1995, 850 people ill from Salmonella newport bacteria in chicken served at Margarita y Amigos restaurant in West Palm Beach.
Utah, January 1995, 96 people ill from hepatitis A traced to an employee of a Taco Bell restaurant in Salt Lake City
Washington, DC, August 1994, 56 people ill and 20 hospitalized from Salmonella in Hollandaise sauce.
Georgia, October 1993, one dead, 7 others ill from botulism in canned cheese sauce.
Illinois, June 1993, 41 people ill, 25 hospitalized from Salmonella in food served at a Mexican restaurant.
Oregon, March 1993, 48 people ill from E. coil 0157:H7 in mayonnaise served at Sizzler restaurant.
An additional 50 cases of illness caused by E. coil 0157:H7 bacteria in food served in Sizzler’s restaurants in Oregon and Washington were reported to CDC in 1993.
The western US, December 1992 to January 1993, 700 people ill from E. coil 0157:H7 in hamburgers served at Jack-in-the-Box restaurants in Washington, Idaho, Nevada and California. Nearly 100 of the victims developed hemolytic uremic syndrome, a serious complication resulting from E. coil 0157:H7 infection, and four children died.