or Connect
Mothering › Mothering Forums › Natural Living › Nutrition and Good Eating › Traditional Foods › TF Pregnancy Club - March/April Thread!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

TF Pregnancy Club - March/April Thread! - Page 6

post #101 of 179
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skrimpy View Post

But I'm seeing conflicting info online. Some sources say dandelion is, others say just dandelion leaves are. All my other books are still in boxes from our move so I'm just not sure. I do know I don't want diuretic effects though, as diuretics have been proven dangerous during pregnancy.

Any thoughts??
i believe that dandelion is a diuretic (it makes me pee more anyways) but the diuretics that have been proven dangerous are synthetic diuretics, i believe. watermelon is a natural diuretic but plenty of prego ladies chow down on watermelon with no issues. just be sure to be getting plenty of water and it is fine, imo. dandelion is so nutritious!
post #102 of 179
Hey ladies

Thought I would update:
I have been taking raw thyroid, and fucothin. I am hoping to boost my thyroid and milk production. It is strange, I literally could not get warm enough after this baby! I was always freezing cold. So I am hoping to get things fixed. Not that I mind being cold, I love it actually as opposed to being hot. But yk, the side effects aren't worth it.

I have also been a good girl with my CLO and vitamin D, and other stuff, so we'll see how it goes...

Oh, and I seem to have plenty of milk... so no real worries there...
post #103 of 179
I had mild nausea on the candida diet and used peppermint extract -- I would put a couple of drops on the back of my palm and lick them. I don't know if it's recommended in pregnancy but it did help the nausea.

Congratulations Renee!
post #104 of 179
sorry to hear about the nausea for many.

things here are going well. i am in very good spirits, a good thing of course. i struggle with depression in my pregnancies. i have been really tired this time, and have less time to sleep than any other pregnancy.

i ran out of prenatal vitamins. i think i am going to buy more- they are rainbow light. the one time i didnt take any in pregnancy i ended up suffering from PPD, and while i am by no means sure that was part of it i guess i am taking them now out of fear that it might have contributed to it somehow.

we have a new jersey cow who is in milk so we are doing better in the food department. i look forward to year-round milk from now on, if all goes well.
post #105 of 179
Quote:
Originally Posted by tabitha View Post
sorry to hear about the nausea for many.

things here are going well. i am in very good spirits, a good thing of course. i struggle with depression in my pregnancies. i have been really tired this time, and have less time to sleep than any other pregnancy.

i ran out of prenatal vitamins. i think i am going to buy more- they are rainbow light. the one time i didnt take any in pregnancy i ended up suffering from PPD, and while i am by no means sure that was part of it i guess i am taking them now out of fear that it might have contributed to it somehow.

we have a new jersey cow who is in milk so we are doing better in the food department. i look forward to year-round milk from now on, if all goes well.
How nice to have your own cow I know it must be a lot of work though!

I took bee pollen this time around instead of rainbow light. Mostly because I wanted to avoid buying anything with iron in it, and they made me feel sick... except the bee pollen was so sugary sweet to me while pregnant!:
post #106 of 179
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leilalu View Post
Hey ladies

Thought I would update:
I have been taking raw thyroid, and fucothin. I am hoping to boost my thyroid and milk production. It is strange, I literally could not get warm enough after this baby! I was always freezing cold.
I had that problem after DD was born. I started using coconut oil a few weeks after she was born and it went away within a month or so. Chickweed infusions are good for the thyroid, too, although I don't know if they're safe for BF'ing. Iodine and the amino acid l-tyrosine are the precursors that the body uses to make the thyroid hormone and you can supplement with those if you like.
post #107 of 179
I am taking a prenatal this time around too...I'm taking the NOW brand prenatal as they usually have really high quality products for extremely reasonable prices. I chose that one over Rainbow Lights b/c the RL has 50% of its vitamin A as palmitate whereas the NOW has it all as beta carotene. Though I've heard good things about RL otherwise.

Any more thyroid suggestions? Mine seems a bit enlarged and chokey feeling though I've been supplementing with iodine. I'm off to get coconut oil today. Leilalu, what raw thyroid are you taking?

tabitha, I'm so excited about your new cow!

congrats to renee, too, I missed that in my last post!
post #108 of 179
Quote:
Originally Posted by toraji View Post
I am taking a prenatal this time around too...I'm taking the NOW brand prenatal as they usually have really high quality products for extremely reasonable prices. I chose that one over Rainbow Lights b/c the RL has 50% of its vitamin A as palmitate whereas the NOW has it all as beta carotene. Though I've heard good things about RL otherwise.

Any more thyroid suggestions? Mine seems a bit enlarged and chokey feeling though I've been supplementing with iodine. I'm off to get coconut oil today. Leilalu, what raw thyroid are you taking?

tabitha, I'm so excited about your new cow!

congrats to renee, too, I missed that in my last post!
My thyroid was getting chokey feeling too! And it would be swollen...then I found out my OB did a blood test for my thyroid and it came back with high levels, which means sluggish.

Taking kelp really helped me feel better. Because I started feeling generally "yucky"

Dh got me a raw thyroid from Whole Foods. It's from Natural Source.
post #109 of 179
to be honest i never even looked into the rainbow lights. i just finished off a bottle i had from before i was pregnant... i am not very good at taking them every day. i have CLO and concentrace but the CLO makes me sick to my stomach. the concentrace i can taste, even a tiny molecule of the stuff in water. so i am trying to decide what to take.

re: the cow & lots of work. yes, i guess it is. but it fits into my life so well that it really isnt much more work when i am milking than when i am not. the entire way we have chosen to live is daunting if i step back from it, but when i am in it it seems normal. when i think of milking i think less of work and more of milk! it is most worthwhile, there is nothing about it that is not.

bee pollen, eh? i think it is tasty, too, but i didnt know it was a vitamin source/ alternative. will have to look into it!
post #110 of 179
Would love to know about the vitamins in bee pollen.
I am taking a mish mash of things.
Question: Do you know think it is okay to get 5000iu of palmitate vit a
and take clo with 14-24% real vitamin a?
finishing off other things I have. Not taking a prenatal this time.
Thanks!
Also love to hear these thryroid therapies you are doing...I have two friends with underactive thyroids and pregnant going to pass along the info.
post #111 of 179
Ok, about bee pollen- there is so much I could say about it! And lately, after using raw honey for healing my infected c-section incision, and knowing the benefits of using bee products on my skin, etc, I am forever sold. bee pollen is a natural source of SO many things. And since I sort of suscribe to the belief that the FDA shouldn't be telling me what amount of things I need in one day, I prefer a food supplement. Here is a good summary of the benefits:
http://www.mercola.com/article/Diet/bee_pollen.htm


OH! And I remember now....one of the reasons I stopped taking RL prenatals was that it contained copper. Copper is a trace mineral and it is recently believed that too much copper can cause a toxic buildup.
post #112 of 179
Quote:
Originally Posted by brookescott88 View Post
Would love to know about the vitamins in bee pollen.
I am taking a mish mash of things.
Question: Do you know think it is okay to get 5000iu of palmitate vit a
and take clo with 14-24% real vitamin a?
finishing off other things I have. Not taking a prenatal this time.
Thanks!
Also love to hear these thryroid therapies you are doing...I have two friends with underactive thyroids and pregnant going to pass along the info.
Well, I started reading about it after my OB called me. I was seeing one of the two OB's who practice together, a woman, and she actually called to tell me before she left work one night that my test came back with high levels. No wonder I felt so bad! So she wanted to put me on a natural thyroid. I told her I would look into it first. Then I found that lots of pregnancy problems are really associated with low thyroid. And apparently it is common in subsequent pregnancies to have thyroid issues! I felt like the light had been turned on. It is really important for the babies brain to fix your thyroid as well, which is what got me.

My remedy now is somewhat experimental. I figure taking the brown seaweed in fucothin can only help, kelp is good for iodine, vitamin D is good, CLO is good, bee pollen, coconut oil, liver, raw thyroid.... I am sure it can't fail and if anything I'll feel better all over. I guess I have finally, after the third child, realized the importance of truly taking care of myself
post #113 of 179
Very interesting I am going to pass along what you are doing.
My husband gets a stomach ache from raw honey and avoids it so I have stopped doing bee pollen in the past few years.
I will have to start up again!
post #114 of 179
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leilalu View Post
OH! And I remember now....one of the reasons I stopped taking RL prenatals was that it contained copper. Copper is a trace mineral and it is recently believed that too much copper can cause a toxic buildup.
Too much of anything can cause problems, but you do need copper in a 1:10 or 1:15 (can't remember) ratio with zinc or you can have problems with zinc toxicity. That's why it's recommended to take zinc and copper together unless your diet is extra high in copper.
post #115 of 179
Quote:
Originally Posted by caedmyn View Post
Too much of anything can cause problems, but you do need copper in a 1:10 or 1:15 (can't remember) ratio with zinc or you can have problems with zinc toxicity. That's why it's recommended to take zinc and copper together unless your diet is extra high in copper.
Oh wow, very good to know. I didn't know you could have too much zinc.
post #116 of 179
Here is a nutritional analysis of bee pollen :

http://www.nzgifts-souvenirs.co.nz/b...-analysis.html

We've been buying swarmbustin honey bee pollen for several years. I later found that it is listed in the WAP shopping guide. I met the owner at a NY arts fair where he had a booth. He got me hooked with his raw garlic pepper honey . The pollen is frozen immed. after harvesting to improve digestibility (that is the info that Walt gave me though I've never researched it).

http://swarmbustinhoney.com/

Dr. Ron's offers bovine thyroid mixed with liver in caps (last printed item VERY bottom of page) :

http://drrons.com/organs-glands.htm
post #117 of 179
OK, so now my question to everyone here is this:

Who wants to start a swarmbustin honey co-op? raise your hand!Anyone??

Or else I may have to order a bunch all by myself- man, those look good.





Quote:
Originally Posted by moneca View Post
Here is a nutritional analysis of bee pollen :

http://www.nzgifts-souvenirs.co.nz/b...-analysis.html

We've been buying swarmbustin honey bee pollen for several years. I later found that it is listed in the WAP shopping guide. I met the owner at a NY arts fair where he had a booth. He got me hooked with his raw garlic pepper honey . The pollen is frozen immed. after harvesting to improve digestibility (that is the info that Walt gave me though I've never researched it).

http://swarmbustinhoney.com/

Dr. Ron's offers bovine thyroid mixed with liver in caps (last printed item VERY bottom of page) :

http://drrons.com/organs-glands.htm
post #118 of 179
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leilalu View Post
OK, so now my question to everyone here is this:

Who wants to start a swarmbustin honey co-op? raise your hand!Anyone??

Or else I may have to order a bunch all by myself- man, those look good.
Too bad you're not closer to Colorado or I'd be in.
post #119 of 179
So are all the honeys raw?
post #120 of 179
I'm sad to ask, but can you remove me from the due date list? We lost our baby last week.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Traditional Foods
Mothering › Mothering Forums › Natural Living › Nutrition and Good Eating › Traditional Foods › TF Pregnancy Club - March/April Thread!