or Connect
Mothering › Mothering Forums › Baby › Breastfeeding › Do I really have to supplement with formula?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Do I really have to supplement with formula? - Page 2

post #21 of 115
No, you don't have to supplement! If you DO have to, clearly you'll know - otherwise, keep nursing!
post #22 of 115
No I cant imagine why you would unless you couldnt nurse for some medical reason .. neither one of my BF kids had a drop of formula.
post #23 of 115

Breastfeed as long as you want

My 18 month old was exclusively breastfed until she was six and a half months. At that time she got a couple of bites of food (usually pureed vegetables that we were having) at dinner time. When she was 8 months old we were up to two means a day. She always just had a few bites of food and that was it. She mostly enjoyed playing with her food. By the time she was a year old we were up to three meals a day of finger food and we were offering her several types of food at each meal. I never have given her formula. I started offering her cow milk when she was 13 months old only because she asked for it in her cereal when she saw me pour it into mine. I still nurse her whenever she asks to nurse. The American Association of Pediatrics says to exclusively breastfeed for six months, then continue to nurse at least a year and continue after that as long as mom and baby want to. The Canadian Association of Pediatrics, WHO, UNICEF, and the United States Surgeon General say to nurse at least two years. Our bodies are made to nurse our babies. It is extremely rare for a woman's body not to be able to fully feed her child. We would not have survived for centuries and centuries if we needed to supplement. Just feed your baby and make sure that he is gaining steady weight and has good color. Also, see if there is a local La Leche League in your area. They have great information, too.
post #24 of 115
I have never heard of any reason why "everyone" would need to supplement at some point. Sounds to be like a formula company ploy that some people have bought into. DS is a year old and has never had a drop of formula.
post #25 of 115
My 10 month old baby has never had a bottle let alone formula. Keep on nursing mama! No way does your babe need formula now or later.
post #26 of 115
If this were true...then what happened to all the babies who were born before formula was invented? Considering that we are all here, I would guess that our ancestors survived without any formula.
post #27 of 115
Again, barring real supply issues, some sort of medical need...I don't see it either. Ds chose to start other tastes at 7 mo....at 15 mo he would take my milk from a sippy cup when I went back to work. He's still nursing a little...never had any formula.
post #28 of 115
I don't really see why mamas are boasting that their babes have never had bottles (of BM). What difference does that make?

I never understand what magically happens at 12 months that magically babies are OK to have milk intended for baby cows instead of milk intended for baby humans? Why not 11 months? Or 14? I am totally serious.

But one more voice on the NOT TRUE My DD's 10 months and never had formula. She self feeds solids but mostly still breastfeeds. I can't imagine weaning her in two months.
post #29 of 115
Just agreeing with most of the previous posters, and adding that DD never had formula, or even a taste of cow's milk til she was past 2.
Even now, at 4 she only occasionally has even a quarter cup of cow milk.
post #30 of 115
No! Your gut is telling you the right thing. Follow your instincts.
post #31 of 115
nope, my DD has never had formula either. though she has had bottles. and pacifiers. and i think that is just dandy, and i'm so grateful for pumps and bottles so that she can have a bottle of my milk while i'm away doing my grad school thing.



anyway, with the one boob thing, that seems like no biggie to me. other mamas who have twins nurse them, right? so if they can nurse two babies with two boobs (average of one boob per babe), you can nurse one baby with one boob.

the boob to babe ratio is the SAME!
post #32 of 115
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueridgewoman View Post
You know, part of the issue is that I am feeding dd from one side exclusively and it's hard for people to believe I could nourish an older baby.

Gah, people.
My ds is 8 months old and i've been BF from one side since he was 4/5 months old. He is doing well and i've never had to supplement.

Your doing great Mamma.
post #33 of 115
Quote:
Originally Posted by amyleigh33 View Post
I don't really see why mamas are boasting that their babes have never had bottles (of BM). What difference does that make?
I don't see this as a boast so much as reassuring the OP that bottles are not always necessary and that if they aren't needed / wanted a baby can certainly thrive w/o ever using one.
post #34 of 115
Quote:
Originally Posted by amyleigh33 View Post
I don't really see why mamas are boasting that their babes have never had bottles (of BM). What difference does that make?
For me it's the same thing. Everyone said I would HAVE to pump. That ALL babies have to be able to take a bottle. I disagree.

-Angela
post #35 of 115
Angela, the reason it's not a bad idea to pump and have a few bottles is in case of unexpected illness. Everyone told me to keep a few bags of frozen, up-to-date breastmilk in the freezer just in case, so that my daughter wouldn't have to take formula or substitutes if, God forbid, I should fall ill. Of course, no reason to train her for a bottle ahead of time, but that is one reason that many say that all moms have to pump.

Some babies will have to take a bottle, though it should be few, statistically, and if mom has normal supply, they should not have to take formula right away.
post #36 of 115
You shouldn't need formula, even with only using one breast. I EP for my dd. When she was 16 months old I had a medical problem and one side dried up. The other side still produced 24 oz of milk a day. Before the problem that breast alone produced 50 oz of milk a day. I am now ebfing 3 month old ds, and EPing for my 28 month old. I still have milk to freeze. (both breasts are working now, though)
post #37 of 115
NO FORMULA!!!!! My daughter is 18mo and I still have plenty supply for her! My best friend has nursed from one side since day 1 and her lil one is 18mo and doing great! Your body knows what to do!
post #38 of 115
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahtob View Post
Angela, the reason it's not a bad idea to pump and have a few bottles is in case of unexpected illness. Everyone told me to keep a few bags of frozen, up-to-date breastmilk in the freezer just in case, so that my daughter wouldn't have to take formula or substitutes if, God forbid, I should fall ill. Of course, no reason to train her for a bottle ahead of time, but that is one reason that many say that all moms have to pump.
And I disagree Unless mom has some reason to expect impending serious illness, it's really silly to go to all that trouble for "just in case"

Just like "some" people think all moms should have formula in their emergency supplies- just in case! I disagree.

-Angela
post #39 of 115
The differences between keeping formula just in case and keeping breastmilk just in case are:

1. Should you ever need formula, you will be able to buy some at almost any time, any where, or borrow some.

2. Assuming you want the best you can give your child, storing formula means that you can avoid the fourth-best option for supplementing, at least for some time. The difference in quality of expressed milk and formula is huge.

Quote:
Unless mom has some reason to expect impending serious illness
This almost never happens. Serious illnesses or injuries (such as during unconsciousness after a car accident) are often unexpected. Although I would want them to try to put my daughter to my breast even if I were unconscious, just to see if that would wake me, I would also want to make sure she had as much milk as possible.

I don't have a huge stash or anything, I'm just saying, if you want to avoid formula with absolute certainty, you would do well to have a supply of EBM in the freezer.
post #40 of 115
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahtob View Post
The differences between keeping formula just in case and keeping breastmilk just in case are:

1. Should you ever need formula, you will be able to buy some at almost any time, any where, or borrow some.

2. Assuming you want the best you can give your child, storing formula means that you can avoid the fourth-best option for supplementing, at least for some time. The difference in quality of expressed milk and formula is huge.



This almost never happens. Serious illnesses or injuries (such as during unconsciousness after a car accident) are often unexpected. Although I would want them to try to put my daughter to my breast even if I were unconscious, just to see if that would wake me, I would also want to make sure she had as much milk as possible.

I don't have a huge stash or anything, I'm just saying, if you want to avoid formula with absolute certainty, you would do well to have a supply of EBM in the freezer.
And in the case of anything serious enough that you would NEED to tap that supply, it will need to be a pretty big supply

I would expect my dh to hit up my nursing-mom friends if it came down to that.

-Angela
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Breastfeeding
Mothering › Mothering Forums › Baby › Breastfeeding › Do I really have to supplement with formula?