or Connect
Mothering › Mothering Forums › Archives › Pregnancy and Birth Archives › Due Date Clubs 2004 - 2008  › October 2008 › Nursing Through Preganancy - Support Only
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Nursing Through Preganancy - Support Only - Page 2

post #21 of 154
At this point I am just trying to drink LOTS and LOTS of water to keep supply up, which has been working. And I mean like a gallon of water a day! When it starts to drop I am going to find brewers yeast tablets. I have heard some good things about those...
post #22 of 154
Thread Starter 
Stephanie, i can completely undestand that. s

i did take it easy on the RRL but im out of the first trimester now. thank goodness.

my nights are hard though and my milk is almost nonexistent. im having difficult times with it all. i would never wean but i think he's doing his own sort of weaning. i dont know....its painful to experience.
post #23 of 154
Quote:
Originally Posted by PassionateWriter View Post
Stephanie, i can completely undestand that. s

i did take it easy on the RRL but im out of the first trimester now. thank goodness.

my nights are hard though and my milk is almost nonexistent. im having difficult times with it all. i would never wean but i think he's doing his own sort of weaning. i dont know....its painful to experience.
I'm so sorry!!! I know that I would feel the same way if Wyatt decided to wean. This happened to me when I was nursing my 3rd child and became pregnant. He started refusing the breast and weaned himself. I was soo sad and then I lost the pregnancy around 11 weeks. I tried to re-establish breastfeeing, but he wasn't interested at all. I am just hoping that Wyatt and I can make it through this pregnancy.
post #24 of 154
I'm nursing my 18-month-old son and although I posted in the other thread that I was considering night weaning, I haven't done it yet and I don't really want him to wean entirely. I'm really torn on the night weaning issue because I don't know if I want to tandem nurse at night (will I get any sleep? has anyone here done this?) but I also feel like my son nurses the most at night right now. I too am noticing a drop in my supply and it seems like it just isn't worth his while to nurse much during the day anymore but at night he really wants his "na-na". He usually wakes and nurses 2-3 times during the night. I'm afraid if I stop nursing him at night my supply will really tank and he will wean.

Also, I work outside the home during the day so his opportunity to nurse during the day is limited. Up until last week, his favorite nursing time was right when I got home from work. But suddenly he seems to be much less interested in nursing then and I'm thinking it's a supply issue. I am also feeling a little sad -- and guilty -- that this pregnancy may end our nursing relationship before my son is really ready. When we decided to TTC another pregnancy I didn't really think about this aspect of it.

A nurse who works with the group of midwives I see told me that she thinks the most important thing for successfully nursing during pregnancy is to drink enough water (and if water is hard to stomach because of m/s, herbal tea or diluted juice is good too). I'm going to try to drink even more water and see what happens.
post #25 of 154

I'm struggling too, help!

My supply is definitely dropping. I used to just shoot milk out every time I let down (still at 22mo), now I don't even see milk on my nipples when dd spontaneously latches off.
The part I'm struggling with is night weaning. I did the Dr. Gordon thing right when I found out I was pregnant, but then a couple of weeks ago we went on a trip and now we're starting from ground zero again, only worse! It seems like she's having an even harder time now than she did before! I'm so exhausted, I desperately need some good sleep!

And, even with the drop in supply, dd seems to be on a bit of a food strike. Its like she's rebelling against food because she "has" to eat it. She almost never eats more than a bite or two of whatever I give her. Any sugguestions in getting her to eat a little more? The other thing is that, ALL she wants to do is nurse. I'm having to leave the house and find things to do during the day because if we stay home, we can't do anything but nurse!

If anyone has any tried-and-true sugguestions, please pass them on! I'll have to pull out my brewer diet info and start eating more oatmeal. Do oatmeal cookies count?! Just kidding!

Sadie
post #26 of 154
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sadie Lake View Post
My supply is definitely dropping. I used to just shoot milk out every time I let down (still at 22mo), now I don't even see milk on my nipples when dd spontaneously latches off.
The part I'm struggling with is night weaning. I did the Dr. Gordon thing right when I found out I was pregnant, but then a couple of weeks ago we went on a trip and now we're starting from ground zero again, only worse! It seems like she's having an even harder time now than she did before! I'm so exhausted, I desperately need some good sleep!

And, even with the drop in supply, dd seems to be on a bit of a food strike. Its like she's rebelling against food because she "has" to eat it. She almost never eats more than a bite or two of whatever I give her. Any sugguestions in getting her to eat a little more? The other thing is that, ALL she wants to do is nurse. I'm having to leave the house and find things to do during the day because if we stay home, we can't do anything but nurse!

If anyone has any tried-and-true sugguestions, please pass them on! I'll have to pull out my brewer diet info and start eating more oatmeal. Do oatmeal cookies count?! Just kidding!

Sadie
No advice, just wanted to chime in to say Good Luck Mama!!
post #27 of 154
Thread Starter 
Alot of us are in teh same boat. i feel that im hanging on by a thread. ds nursed yesterday morning upon waking and then not until around 7. He did nurse for more than an hour on and off, but didnt wake up at all last night to nurse.

I have started drinking 2 liters of herbal tea per day (starting yesterday) and I am hope this helps a bit. I think he just doesn't like the taste but he still wants to nurse. Only 6 more months to go. I have to tell myself Ive made it 3 months...1/3 of the way there.

oatmeal cookies count!!! lol!
post #28 of 154
I wanted to pop in here with lots of support!! Although I posted in the other thread and definitely aren't sure where we'll end up, we're currently nursing full-time (he runs by for "sips" at least 15-25 times a day!) and going strong. And I've nursed my other 2 children all the way through pregnancies! So I'm 100% on-board with this.

I can't really tell how my supply is doing. I don't really feel let-down after infancy (never have), and he doesn't seem to be having any frustration at the breast, so I just don't know yet. When does supply start to be affected by pregnancy? I can't remember what my midwife told me last time. I remember during my last pregnancy that my 2 yr old told me it was "yucky," (lol), but he kept nursing anyhow. He cracked me up!

Lately the only real issues I've been having are sensitivity. Not only regular pregnancy sensitivity, but also my LO has been twiddling majorly lately and it is driving me bonkers!

Other than that, all seems the same, so we're just going along.
post #29 of 154
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sadie Lake View Post
My supply is definitely dropping. I used to just shoot milk out every time I let down (still at 22mo), now I don't even see milk on my nipples when dd spontaneously latches off.
Me too! And it was all tingly! I thought the milk supply tanked. But, DD proved me wrong last week by puking about 2 cups of breastmilk all over me And she says there is milk flowing, even though I don't see it or feel it, or even hear her swallow much.


And don't forget to add some extra good fats to your diet-- I've read that fat is the essential part of milk making, not necessarily water.

Oatmeal cookies count!!! even no-bake chocolate cookies :

Does anyone have advice for nipple soreness? Everytime dd latches on, it pinches. It's getting worse.

Oh, one more thing- on the CLW forum, I was told not to drink RRL tea more than a week at a time if you are nursing because it can cause your milk to stop with "long term" use... and Mother's Milk tea is bad if you are pregnant. Anyway, thought I'd pass that on
post #30 of 154
NAK
I am definitely on-board. My son is 24 months and nurses like nobody's business. I need a thread like this. There have been times in the past couple of months where I literally feel like my skin is crawling in reaction to the nursing. C. seems to be nursing much more since the dawn of this pregnancy...There are times when I just don't know if I can tolerate the yucky feeling that his new nursing style seems to bring about.

A friend of mine told me of this same experience...I couldn't imagine that I would ever feel any negativity...and I guess it's not so much negativity as much as perhaps my body trying to tell me something. I know I couldn't just wean because of a weird feeling, esp. when my boy is not ready.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jörð View Post
RRL tea is considered very safe in all stages of pregnancy- generally speaking.
Generally speaking, yes, it's not necessarily that it's bad, it just could be bad with some people.

Also, for those of you drinking the tea...are you drinking just RRL or are there things like Nettles, Alfalfa, Oatstraw, Mint, or Rosehips involved as well? I drink a tea that is any combination of the above herbs...often with a squeeze of lemon and a bit of honey. I mix up the tea so that it doesn't get boring.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thixle View Post
Does anyone have advice for nipple soreness? Everytime dd latches on, it pinches. It's getting worse.
I was talking to my mw yesterday and she recommended drinking at least a gallon of water each day to help with nipple soreness.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baby_Makes_5 View Post
I can't really tell how my supply is doing. I don't really feel let-down after infancy (never have), and he doesn't seem to be having any frustration at the breast, so I just don't know yet. When does supply start to be affected by pregnancy?
I've never had that let down feeling...not once; however, I always seem to have milk in great supply.

My doc told me to expect a possible supply decrease sometime in the 2nd trimester.
post #31 of 154
I've never heard that RRL softens your cervix, just that it's a uterine toner and cause cause toning contractions. Of course, it's all about what you're comfortable with.

I think if I was predisposed to preterm labor or miscarriage, I'd be more concerned with all supplements and teas but thankfully, I'm not.
post #32 of 154
My babe is currently 14 months, will be 21 months when baby comes, and I'm trying not to have any expectations of what will happen, just following her cues. So far, she is nursing about the same as always, she does seem to be decreasing some on some days, but I think that's just as much her age as my pregnancy.

it's not uncomfortable or anything so I feel no urge to 'try' to get her to wean.

I think it's ultimately HER choice not mine. Ideally I'd like to keep nursing and tandem a bit with the baby, as she will be under 2 and I think it's important to make it to 2.

I hope it does not come to a point where it is extremely uncomfortable for me. right now we both love it so much and I'd hate to end that way. I also would not totally deny her and force her to wean if it did, but at the same time I wonder how good it would be for me NOT to find alternatives if nursing becomes a time I am resenting rather than loving.......

I'm just not going to think about that unless it happens. Right now we are happy. I'm going to focus on it staying that way.
post #33 of 154
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jörð View Post
I've never heard that RRL softens your cervix, just that it's a uterine toner and cause cause toning contractions.
I guess that the way I worded that suggests that it softens your cervix...so I removed that comment...it doesn't do such...you are right. I guess to say it in a better way...RRL stimulates the uterus which can be concern to some....it can stimulate things right out of the uterus. It is recommended that if one does drink RRL in the first trimester that she only drink one cup per day. Here is a link that explains:

http://www.birthingnaturally.net/exe...el/kegcup.html
post #34 of 154
Huh. Thanks for the link. I'm kind of confused though... I said that RRL decreases milk supply. I was just told it can help with low supply. ?
post #35 of 154
I have heard both things...here is what I found on Kellymom...

"Red Raspberry Leaf has been reported to "bring in rich milk." I believe that it's not a galactagogue (though some report it as such), but may provide vitamins/minerals helpful for good milk production."

http://www.kellymom.com/herbal/milks...html#raspberry
post #36 of 154
Interesting. Thanks!
post #37 of 154
Thread Starter 
im drinking 2 liters of tea pe day now. im making my own w/ RRL, Alfalfa, Chamomile, Oatstraw, Peppermint and Dandelion.

ive NEVER heard of RRL decreasing milk supply. it does tone the uterus which can also potentially cause problems in teh first trimester but nothing about milk supply.

we are doing ok. but mainly once or twice a day and then down for nap and bedtime. I should be happy that we have made it to almost 27 months but w/ his solids intake so little,it makes me worry more...which is why i need support.

i felt icky for probably close to a month. the pain is gradually going away. i am sooo happy that is close to over.
post #38 of 154
Quote:
Originally Posted by PassionateWriter View Post
im drinking 2 liters of tea pe day now. im making my own w/ RRL, Alfalfa, Chamomile, Oatstraw, Peppermint and Dandelion.

ive NEVER heard of RRL decreasing milk supply. it does tone the uterus which can also potentially cause problems in teh first trimester but nothing about milk supply.
Now I'm more confused-- I was also told (and directed to kellymom, I think) about NOT taking RRL while nursing because it drops your supply. And I was warned away from nettle, too.
I wanted to drink it, I even have a local, organic, homegrown place to get it
Anyone know of any other sources that may help explain why it may/may not make the milk disappear??
Or maybe an herbalist we could ask?
post #39 of 154
I have no idea. I can only say that a LLL told me to drink if to help with supply, alas, my little one seems to be weaning. I haven't had milk in a long while though.
post #40 of 154
Quote:
Originally Posted by PassionateWriter View Post
we are doing ok. but mainly once or twice a day and then down for nap and bedtime. I should be happy that we have made it to almost 27 months but w/ his solids intake so little,it makes me worry more...which is why i need support.
You have and support from me.

When my son refuses to eat -- or when he was 3 months old and we went through a very tough, fussy time with nursing -- it helps me to remember that very young children generally know what their bodies need and won't starve themselves. Just left to their own devices they do tend to eat what and when they need. And 27 months of nursing has certainly given your little one a great start in life. If you keep offering your breast and a good variety of healthy solid foods, I would think he will do fine.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: October 2008
Mothering › Mothering Forums › Archives › Pregnancy and Birth Archives › Due Date Clubs 2004 - 2008  › October 2008 › Nursing Through Preganancy - Support Only