or Connect
Mothering › Mothering Forums › Mom › Parenting › Feelings? Family oriented nude beachs?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Feelings? Family oriented nude beachs? - Page 4

post #61 of 88
DD would probably be in heaven if we took her to a nude beach these days ... she's going through a "naked" phase
post #62 of 88
I think nude family beaches sounds like fun.

However, I would want my DD to have the option of wearing swimwear, if she wanted.

And I would be concerned about sun protection. We tend to dress modestly when swimming, but more from a point of view of avoiding sun exposure, than concerns about showing too much skin.
post #63 of 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by SJane01 View Post
As for children looking at adult genitals? Frankly, why shelter them from something thats completely natural and totally harmless. Is it that you will have to explain what it is and what happens to your body as you grow up that you fear in a case like this?
so then why not show them a playboy magazine?
post #64 of 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrspineau View Post
so then why not show them a playboy magazine?
Personally, I couldn't care less if my kids see Playboy (or Playgirl), but there is a huge difference between unrealistic, airbrushed pictures of "perfect" bodies and the realistic presentation of the human form on a nude beach.
post #65 of 88
I have only been to one beach with nudity and it was in New Jersey of all places! It was not legally a nude beach and it was primarily a gay nude beach. It was before I had a baby, but we had kids with us. I liked it. I was mostly nude in the water and more clothed on land. I also found that folks were not near one another. It wasn't like a regular beach where everyone is on top of one another and you get hit in the face with a beach ball when you are trying to relax.
post #66 of 88
I find it interesting how the opinions on this are largely split into two camps - 1. the people who see nudity as natural and don't see nudity as equivalent to sexuality and 2. the people who only see nudity in a sexual manner. Somehow I suspect this is a pretty American way of seeing nudity.

Nudity on a beach in Europe is very different than nudity at spring break here. It's not about showing off your body, and it doesn't feel that way to walk around on those beaches. However, I can see why someone who'd grown up in the US with our weird hangups about nudity might not be able to imagine a non-sexual context to public nudity.
post #67 of 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by rainyday View Post
I find it interesting how the opinions on this are largely split into two camps - 1. the people who see nudity as natural and don't see nudity as equivalent to sexuality and 2. the people who only see nudity in a sexual manner. Somehow I suspect this is a pretty American way of seeing nudity.
I don't see nudity in a strictly sexual manner. But I do hold to rules of propriety regarding dress and coverage that not everyone might agree with. The two are not necessarily the same.
post #68 of 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by rainyday View Post
I find it interesting how the opinions on this are largely split into two camps - 1. the people who see nudity as natural and don't see nudity as equivalent to sexuality and 2. the people who only see nudity in a sexual manner. Somehow I suspect this is a pretty American way of seeing nudity.

Nudity on a beach in Europe is very different than nudity at spring break here. It's not about showing off your body, and it doesn't feel that way to walk around on those beaches. However, I can see why someone who'd grown up in the US with our weird hangups about nudity might not be able to imagine a non-sexual context to public nudity.
I don't think I'd have a problem with it in Europe because of the different attitude about nudity, but most people in the US are raised with weird sexual hangups, not just a few posters at MDC, and some of those people with weird sexual hangups might very well be on the beach as well, hanging out with people's kids. I don't have a problem with nudity and have no expectations of modesty for my daughter, but I've read things about pedophiles who hung out at family nudist places (and many pedophiles have children so a place that only allows people with kids doesn't eliminate the problem). Anyway, it isn't something I'd do here in the US.
post #69 of 88
I don't really like the assumption that if a person is modest, that must mean they have weird sexual hangups. I was raised fairly modestly and still am modest. I don't have any hangups (that I know of!), and see nothing wrong with being modest. I just prefer not to prance around naked in front of others and prefer not to see other people naked. I don't want to look at genitals (except my dh) and don't see anything wrong with it. My body is private and I raised my kids that way also. They aren't as modest as I am, but I don't think they would be comfortable parading around naked also. The naked body may be natural, but I like the protection clothes offer. Not sticking to furniture, being poked by random objects, sun protection, etc. - there are pluses to wearing clothes!
post #70 of 88
I am not comfortable with this at all.
post #71 of 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by primjillie View Post
I don't really like the assumption that if a person is modest, that must mean they have weird sexual hangups. I was raised fairly modestly and still am modest. I don't have any hangups (that I know of!), and see nothing wrong with being modest. I just prefer not to prance around naked in front of others and prefer not to see other people naked. I don't want to look at genitals (except my dh) and don't see anything wrong with it. My body is private and I raised my kids that way also. They aren't as modest as I am, but I don't think they would be comfortable parading around naked also. The naked body may be natural, but I like the protection clothes offer. Not sticking to furniture, being poked by random objects, sun protection, etc. - there are pluses to wearing clothes!
:

(Except I *wasn't* raised modestly at all, but wish I had been. Limits and boundaries are good things.)

I think it's unfair to say that all people who aren't comfortable with nudism are "hung up" but OTOH I also think it may sometimes be the case that people who *do* have sexual traumas or problems in their background may feel the need to "let it all hang out" as a kind of overcompensation. It can go both ways.
post #72 of 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by primjillie View Post
I don't really like the assumption that if a person is modest, that must mean they have weird sexual hangups. I was raised fairly modestly and still am modest. I don't have any hangups (that I know of!), and see nothing wrong with being modest. I just prefer not to prance around naked in front of others and prefer not to see other people naked. I don't want to look at genitals (except my dh) and don't see anything wrong with it. My body is private and I raised my kids that way also. They aren't as modest as I am, but I don't think they would be comfortable parading around naked also. The naked body may be natural, but I like the protection clothes offer. Not sticking to furniture, being poked by random objects, sun protection, etc. - there are pluses to wearing clothes!
You know, being naked doesn't necessarily entail prancing or parading. Some people can be naked without doing either!
post #73 of 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by whalemilk View Post
:

(Except I *wasn't* raised modestly at all, but wish I had been. Limits and boundaries are good things.)

I think it's unfair to say that all people who aren't comfortable with nudism are "hung up" but OTOH I also think it may sometimes be the case that people who *do* have sexual traumas or problems in their background may feel the need to "let it all hang out" as a kind of overcompensation. It can go both ways.
This is very true. I still think that most people (or at least a whole lot of people) in the US were raised with some level of sexual hangups, but I don't think being modest or not is a good predictor of who was raised that way or not, nor who internalized how they were raised and actually has hangups and who doesn't. Pedophiles have a sexual hangup- that's who they are. And as a PP said, many exhibitionists are in fact sexual predators.
post #74 of 88
I would go to the nude beach and wear clothes. I might take my clothes off to swim, but I would put them back on when I got back to land.

I have zero problem with nudity. I just like how clothes feel. I love swimming naked though.
post #75 of 88
I have no problems with nudity but I personally wouldn't feel comfortable being nude and having my children nude on a beach with a bunch of other naked strangers. I'm not religious at all - just "hung up" I guess. Plus, we like to play in the sand a lot and I'm assuming a lot more sand in the crack at a nude beach. lol!

If you feel comfortable - go for it!
post #76 of 88
No way, because of the sun exposure issue. I have a strong history of skin cancer in my family so my kids and I always wear swim shirts. I like them better than just sunscreen.
post #77 of 88
i would love to do that as a vacation experince ... we are very liberal around here with clothing... so a nude beach wouldnt be a big deal... but i personally would love the vacation experience
post #78 of 88
Ha! I have to reply to this, though summer is almost over and your situation is probably done.

We have a German friend, frequented beaches as a growing person. Topless very much the norm, he says you are intrigued at first but it goes away after seeing so many.

Telling this from his point of view as a 40 year old... and I know this is your SON we are talking about but hear me out

So he goes to a topless beach with a friend, at about 15. And these young girls, probably 20 he says, begin doing headstands, only they are at the WRONG beach, they are totally nude. He said the police were watching with their binoculars, for quite some time before they told the girls that they had gone too far upstream and needed to go back to the nude beach. Well he and his friend were watching, he said, but were face down in the sand.
post #79 of 88
Everyone who is afraid of pedophiles, You DO understand that a pedophile will look at kids regardless of what they're wearing, right?
as gross as that is, it's true.
post #80 of 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by babelsgp View Post
Ha! I have to reply to this, though summer is almost over and your situation is probably done.

We have a German friend, frequented beaches as a growing person. Topless very much the norm, he says you are intrigued at first but it goes away after seeing so many.

Telling this from his point of view as a 40 year old... and I know this is your SON we are talking about but hear me out

So he goes to a topless beach with a friend, at about 15. And these young girls, probably 20 he says, begin doing headstands, only they are at the WRONG beach, they are totally nude. He said the police were watching with their binoculars, for quite some time before they told the girls that they had gone too far upstream and needed to go back to the nude beach. Well he and his friend were watching, he said, but were face down in the sand.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Parenting
Mothering › Mothering Forums › Mom › Parenting › Feelings? Family oriented nude beachs?