or Connect
Mothering › Mothering Forums › Mom › Women's Health  › Natural Body Care › Help! Hot peppers are burning my hands!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Help! Hot peppers are burning my hands!

post #1 of 34
Thread Starter 
What works (besides using gloves to cut them next time)? I was cutting fresh jalepenos and now I have "hunan hands"! They burn sooooooo baaaaaaaaaad! Yeeeeeeeeooooooooow!
post #2 of 34
Fat. Rub any kind of oil on them...
post #3 of 34
Whatever you do don't touch any mucus membranes. Not your eyes, mouth and be careful if you need to go to the bathroom. I'd try washing them in milk, that always works to drink when I eat too many.
post #4 of 34
First off, take a deep breath.

It's a nerve response. There's no actual damage being done.

Okay, now run around in circles and wave your hands in the air while you scream.

Now . . . do you have a favorite CNS depressant? One that is safe for you to use? A bit of alcohol? A first generation antihistamine? Something that will slow down or dull the firing of your nerves?

My husband tried everything and eventually settled for vodka. Applied internally, albeit sparingly.
post #5 of 34
the stuff that makes hot peppers hot is soluble in fat and alcohol, so either of those will make it better.
post #6 of 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arduinna View Post
Whatever you do don't touch any mucus membranes. Not your eyes, mouth and be careful if you need to go to the bathroom. I'd try washing them in milk, that always works to drink when I eat too many.
:

don't use your diva cup after chopping peppers
post #7 of 34
I'd pour vegetable oil all over your hands, rub it in, then wash it off with a good dollop of dishwashing liquid.
post #8 of 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by texaspeach View Post
the stuff that makes hot peppers hot is soluble in fat and alcohol, so either of those will make it better.
Yeah, so when you're drinking that shot of tequila to numb the pain, be sure to spill some on your hands.
post #9 of 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by RubyWild View Post
Yeah, so when you're drinking that shot of tequila to numb the pain, be sure to spill some on your hands.
post #10 of 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by jocelyndale View Post
...run around in circles and wave your hands in the air while you scream.
My husband tried everything and eventually settled for vodka. Applied internally, albeit sparingly.
:

You could... send them all to me to chop for you. And then eat.

Sorry to laugh. I'm sorry for your pain. I hope one of the PP's answers helps you. I just had jalapenos for dinner for the first time in a while and I'm jonesin for more heat. Good luck to you!
post #11 of 34
Thread Starter 
LMAO!

The only benefit I see to this affliction is that now I don't have to change my dd's poopy diaper that she's making!

Ok, I've tried soap and water. Petroleum Jelly. Ice Water. OxyClean! Calamine Lotion. Anti-Itch lotion from our bout with chicken pox. Everything works for about 1-4 minutes and then they burn all over again.
post #12 of 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajsgirl View Post
Ok, I've tried soap and water. Petroleum Jelly. Ice Water. OxyClean! Calamine Lotion. Anti-Itch lotion from our bout with chicken pox. Everything works for about 1-4 minutes and then they burn all over again.
(Bolding mine)
Honey, I don't think they're burning from the pepper juice anymore...
post #13 of 34
This happened to me a couple of months ago and nothing helped me exept just pouring hand sanitizer all over my hands and rubing them together. I had to re-apply every 5 minutes for like an hour but it did stop the burn. I went through half a bottle of Purell.
I'm sorry that this is happening to you. I can really feel your pain. Try the hand sanitizer and see if it works for you,
post #14 of 34
Ouch! a spoonful of straight honey cools a spicy tongue--maybe it would help your hands? What about that numbing spray, um...solarcaine (?), like for sunburns? Or even teething gel or chloroseptic spray?
post #15 of 34
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by JnB View Post
(Bolding mine)
Honey, I don't think they're burning from the pepper juice anymore...
:

Now I have a real excuse for why I'm not putting out tonight....
post #16 of 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajsgirl View Post
LMAO!

The only benefit I see to this affliction is that now I don't have to change my dd's poopy diaper that she's making!

Ok, I've tried soap and water. Petroleum Jelly. Ice Water. OxyClean! Calamine Lotion. Anti-Itch lotion from our bout with chicken pox. Everything works for about 1-4 minutes and then they burn all over again.
I think you'd have been better off alternating the petroleum jelly and the soap and water, and not bothering with any of the other items.

You probably now have chemical burns from the oxiclean.
post #17 of 34
Once, I touched my eyeball after chopped jalapeños. Talk about ouch. It felt like my eye was burning out of my head.

I once had pepper burns for a few days after seeding and chopping 2 lbs for jelly....
post #18 of 34
lavender oil externally, vodka internally. cover all your bases!
post #19 of 34
I had a similar experience once, and I drenched myself with milk. It worked!
post #20 of 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajsgirl View Post
:

Now I have a real excuse for why I'm not putting out tonight....
Yes! DH made salsa once and then later on we were fooling around...yeah, it was bad. Plus we were at his parent's house...
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Natural Body Care
Mothering › Mothering Forums › Mom › Women's Health  › Natural Body Care › Help! Hot peppers are burning my hands!