or Connect
Mothering › Mothering Forums › Mom › Parenting › What is the worst/dumbest thing anyone has ever said to you about parenting stuff? II
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

What is the worst/dumbest thing anyone has ever said to you about parenting stuff? II - Page 55

post #1081 of 1466
Quote:
Originally Posted by waiting2bemommy View Post
My dad, on breastfeeding in front of him..."this is like watching a porno..." ***turns head and recoils***

My dad was SO pro bfing in the beginning. but he thinks i'm not modest enough. I'm sitting on the couch in what is suposed to be my HOME. I am sure you couldn't see anything...I've checked in front of a mirror.

And later, my dad when I complained about ds constantly wkaing up...."you shoudl ahve thought about that before you knocked yourself up." Yeak, thanks, dad. i'm sure YOU never complained in 22 years either. And fwiw, I was an accident, which makes that commnt all the more ridiciulous.
"Just what kind of pornos have you been watching lately dad?"
post #1082 of 1466
Quote:
Originally Posted by waiting2bemommy View Post
My dad, on breastfeeding in front of him..."this is like watching a porno..." ***turns head and recoils***


I cannot believe your own father said that to you. Disgusting. I don't care if you have your whole boob out or are nursing topless, NOTHING about nursing is anything like pornography. I hope you made it clear that HE is the one who is warped and not you.

post #1083 of 1466
Quote:
Originally Posted by frontierpsych View Post
This isn't about my parenting, but my mom's. My mom is a lesbian and someone in high school asked me "Your mom's a lesbian? Does she ever try to, like, have sex with you?"


Where do these ideas come from? why do they persist?
post #1084 of 1466
well here's my *dumb* family moment:

I went out to eat with my sister and her family when I visted with my then 11mo old son.

sister DH "are you going to order him something?" (refering to DS)
sister "she like breastfeeds him" (my sister believes its *icky* her word)
sister DH "oh.....how old is he?" "cant you afford to buy him formula"
me "he's allergic to dairy"
sister "he's allergic to dairy...but she breastfeeds him?"

HELLO!!!! Cow milk and human milk is NOT THE SAME I pretty muched just summed it up to ignorance.
post #1085 of 1466
Quote:
Originally Posted by ramlita View Post

Where do these ideas come from? why do they persist?
They persist because people can't take the 'sex' out of 'homosexual'.

I would have asked "Your dad's straight? Does he ever try to, like, have sex with you?"
post #1086 of 1466
Quote:
Originally Posted by MusicianDad View Post
They persist because people can't take the 'sex' out of 'homosexual'.

I would have asked "Your dad's straight? Does he ever try to, like, have sex with you?"
:

I thought that too when I read it!
post #1087 of 1466
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theoretica View Post
:

I thought that too when I read it!
...and me.
People are sooo messed up.
post #1088 of 1466
Quote:
Originally Posted by smeisnotapirate View Post
I (mistakenly) took DS in to see a supposedly no-vax-friendly doctor. I was looking pretty obviously Jewish that day, so of course he asked me if I was Mennonite , and when I said I was Jewish, he said "Ohhhhh... so is that why you don't vaccinate? Some Jewish thing?" I said that no, but being Jewish, we're very aware that our bodies are holy and aware of what we put into them, like the kashrut laws, etc. And he said.......

"Oh yeah, that kosher stuff is so dumb. I once had a patient tell me that breastmilk isn't considered milk so she could breastfeed her kid at the table with a meat meal. Isn't THAT convenient?"



Like I was supposed to agree with him.

Needless to say, we're still looking for a doctor. :
OMG! I really hope you wrote a complaint letter to everyone you could think of about this. Unbelievable!!!

I will say that my OB was very concerned that I wouldn't breastfeed because we're vegan and breastmilk is "milk".
post #1089 of 1466
Quote:
Originally Posted by veganone View Post
I will say that my OB was very concerned that I wouldn't breastfeed because we're vegan and breastmilk is "milk".
I'd say "nah, we're just starting them off on lettuce."

I'm a smart-ass, though.
post #1090 of 1466
Quote:
Originally Posted by frontierpsych View Post
I'd say "nah, we're just starting them off on lettuce."

I'm a smart-ass, though.


Honestly, I could not figure out what he was trying to say to me. It was so absurd that I just couldn't follow what he was saying. When I figured it out I just laughed at him, basically.
post #1091 of 1466
My hubby, son (13 months at the time), and I went to dinner at a restaurant where one of his former coworkers is now working. I had never met him before, so DH introduced me to him. He looked at DH, looked at me, and looked at our son and said to DH "That's not your kid." Uhhhhh.....hello? The first thing you say when you meet someone's family is to imply that their partner was unfaithful and had someone else's child?? I have a sense of humor and that would have been okay (although slightly irritating) coming from a friend, but come on.
post #1092 of 1466
"instead of baby proofing your house, don't be afraid to slap your dd's hand if she gets into something she shouldn't."

wha? : and this from a woman who doesn't have kids. thank goodness!
post #1093 of 1466
Quote:
Originally Posted by frontierpsych View Post
This isn't about my parenting, but my mom's. My mom is a lesbian and someone in high school asked me "Your mom's a lesbian? Does she ever try to, like, have sex with you?"

I'm not the only one then

When my Mom came out and moved in with a woman when I was 14 I had two seperate occasions when that happened. The first I was asked if she'd ever hit on me, and the second I was asked if I was afraid to go stay at her house now because she was clearly going to want to have sex with me.

post #1094 of 1466
Thread Starter 


So, um, did you ever reply "No, does your dad try to have sex with you?"
post #1095 of 1466
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by waiting2bemommy View Post
My dad, on breastfeeding in front of him..."this is like watching a porno..." ***turns head and recoils***

My dad was SO pro bfing in the beginning. but he thinks i'm not modest enough. I'm sitting on the couch in what is suposed to be my HOME. I am sure you couldn't see anything...I've checked in front of a mirror.
Even if you had your shirt completely off, your dad has lousy taste in porn. He does know that adults can legally rent stuff that shows actual sex, right? Bonus points for asking him that!
post #1096 of 1466
Quote:
Originally Posted by waiting2bemommy View Post
My dad, on breastfeeding in front of him..."this is like watching a porno..." ***turns head and recoils***

My dad was SO pro bfing in the beginning. but he thinks i'm not modest enough. I'm sitting on the couch in what is suposed to be my HOME. I am sure you couldn't see anything...I've checked in front of a mirror.

And later, my dad when I complained about ds constantly wkaing up...."you shoudl ahve thought about that before you knocked yourself up." Yeak, thanks, dad. i'm sure YOU never complained in 22 years either. And fwiw, I was an accident, which makes that commnt all the more ridiciulous.
I think your dad has been talking to my MIL . . .

Speaking of MIL, I got her on the phone the other day (by accident) and mentioned that I'd driven up Kansas. She says "So you finally came to your senses and got an abortion." I drove up there for charity work! Once I got FIL on the phone, I told him that MIL wanted me to abort his grandchild and he let her have it.

This baby was planned! Planned, planned, PLANNED! Ugh! Usually MIL amuses me, but that time she really pissed me off.
post #1097 of 1466
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwinsTwicePlusTwo View Post
"So you finally came to your senses and got an abortion."


Oh my gosh. That is. wow. I have no words for that. And here I thought my MIL's reaction to my first pregnancy was bad when she said, "Please tell me it isn't true!" since my mother had obviously felt the need to break the news before I could. But you've got me there. And you have my full sympathy. And you know what? Planned or not, why on earth would she even go there?!
post #1098 of 1466
My dad, on hearing of my pregnancy with ds2- "So what does Matt (DH) think about that?"

Um, what do you mean what does my husband think about it, he helped me get that way! We'd been trying for 6 months!

post #1099 of 1466
Quote:
Originally Posted by In Exile View Post
Yes, that's what bugs me about it. It's the "wife's duty" to be "available" at every second-because you know as a rule co-sleeping families NEVER have more than one child.

And yes, not every man is happy about it- but I would sort of expect my sister and husband not to run around and tell everyone about my sex life.

I was upset because that woman yelled at ME in addition to that stuff. Gosh, that was a weird situation. It's the birthday party for her grandchild and she blasts guests that defend her sister....
I actually didn't get it, at first... I thought the husband was "miserable" because baby was waking up in the night in their bed and disturbing them... interupting their sex life didnt occur to me because we co-sleep and DS never wakes up when we are having our fun... I think because we had so much fun while I was pregnant..... the noises/motion is probably soothing because he remebers it from utero
post #1100 of 1466
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theoretica View Post

My personal nonfavorite is 'let em cry, it excercises their lungs', because my aunt says this ALL.The.TIME!
One of the nurses in the hospital (or the lactation consultant, not sure which) told me the same thing. These people are supposed to be the "experts." Maybe that's why no one in the hospital recognized that dd was tongued-tied and that's why I was having so much trouble nursing.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Parenting
Mothering › Mothering Forums › Mom › Parenting › What is the worst/dumbest thing anyone has ever said to you about parenting stuff? II