or Connect
Mothering › Mothering Forums › Mom › Parenting › What is the worst/dumbest thing anyone has ever said to you about parenting stuff? II
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

What is the worst/dumbest thing anyone has ever said to you about parenting stuff? II - Page 62

post #1221 of 1466
Quote:
Originally Posted by smeisnotapirate View Post
Better than my mom. I got (first) "stop crying! You'll wake your brother!" (a horrible sleeper), a kiss on the head and "it's not real, go back to sleep." *leaves room*
My mother finally confessed to leaving me to CIO in a soundproofed room "because you were a very fussy baby and I didn't want you to disturb your father."

post #1222 of 1466
Quote:
Originally Posted by angelamariebee View Post
Haha, this reminds me. When bringing DD home from the hospital, I wanted to take her out of the carseat and carry her into the house. We lived on the 16th floor of this huge apartment building. Anyway, DH said, "What if there are kids playing in the lobby and one runs into you? I think you shouldn't take her out of the carseat."

Whaa?? lol. Apparently it's not safe to carry newborns in your arms.
We took our 5 week old to Target in a bucket (we put it in a convertible stroller). I wanted to bring her in the Baby Hawk, but wasn't confident with wearing it yet.

She started crying and really wanted out so I unbuckled her and carried her in my arms the rest of the way. Most people smiled when they saw her, but there was a guy in our checkout who kept staring and staring (with a shocked look on his face) as if seeing a baby in someone was the biggest oddity in the world.

I have since given up using the stroller. We've taken some really lovely walks in her Baby Hawk and are going to an art exhibit with it tomorrow. I don't care what other people think. I think it's horrible when people explicitly carry their babies in buckets all the time. Once in a while, I understand, but I almost never see babes in arms anymore... Because people always have them in carseats, it's like you almost never see babies in public. I miss it!
post #1223 of 1466
Quote:
Originally Posted by llp34 View Post
When DS1 was a few months old, I was walking in our neighborhood with him in a Maya Wrap sling. A woman actually pulled over her car to tell me that she was really worried that the baby could breathe in there and that I should check right now that he was still breathing.

I looked down at him, back at her, "he's fine. Thanks !" Went on with my walk....
Yeah, it's times like that when people really do have the very best intentions,
(however they may seem to us)

what can you say but, "Thank you for your concern." and get on outta there
post #1224 of 1466
Quote:
Originally Posted by angela&avery View Post
i have a friend who tells me

#1 my kids are so much EASIER than her one kid bc they have each other to play with... (ok it would have NOTHING to do with how hard I have worked with them for the last 3 years on sibling rivalry and all of the books I have read about sibling rivalry and GD Parenting and how hard I have worked to change my reactions to help lesson the rivalry they had at ages 1 and 3 when I thought I was going to LOSE my MIND.... nothing to do with that...)

#2. my house is always clean bc its small (bull crap, smaller houses have lesser places for things to go ... i still have two kids, and it must have nothing to do with my dedication to having a clean house)

#3.my yard looks nice bc its smaller than hers and not as much upkeep and my floors are clean bc they are tile and bc I see the dirt im motivated to clean them more often!!!! (seriously????... I know this one isnt parenting but i had to vent)
I know these are kind of old posts but I wanted to comment anyway...

#1. I have one DD and my friend with three kids tells me it's easier than having one for that reason (playing with each other). I've always just assumed this to be true. Hmmm.

#2. I miss my old apartment because it was smaller and easier to keep clean. Although the mess did accumulate faster, so I will agree with you on that one.

#3. I call BS!! lol. We have all tile floors and they seem SO MUCH harder to keep clean than when we had carpet (aside from stains when DD spills something). It's kind of a win/lose I guess.

But that's just my opinion and experience. I wouldn't tell someone they had it easier than me for XYZ reason. That's ridiculous. Not to mention, it isn't a contest! I hate it when people play the whole "my life is harder than yours" game.
post #1225 of 1466
This is such a great thread! I'm on pg 39 and taking a break to add a few of my own...

My mom is usually very supportive of my parenting choices, but she had a hard time understanding why i would want to bf my dd on demand instead of putting her on a 3 hour schedule. When she was 5 weeks and eating every 2 hours, my mom thought maybe she was eating so often because i wasn't producing enough and i should supplement (my DD definitely did NOT have a problem with growth - I think she was 12 lbs already by 5 weeks!). So my mom said, "she should be able to go 3 hours by now, she's not a baby anymore!" Um, a 5 week old is not a baby????

And the worst was when my dd was about 6 weeks and my (childless) friend called and i casually mentioned that i had been trying to get my dd to sleep for a while. She told me that I shoudl try her BIL's trick - they put their baby's crib in the CLOSET and would just put the baby in the crib and close the door until the morning : I didnt even know what to say so I just said, "well my dd is only 6 weeks old" and she said that her BIL did this from the day they brought their baby home! : poor baby!
post #1226 of 1466
Quote:
Originally Posted by amberskyfire View Post
I know exactly how you feel. I hate when people hold my baby because even if they are not wearing perfume, my baby still ends up smelling like them and it drives me bonkers. Once the neighbor's teenage daughter came over (she LOVES my baby, so I let her see her all the time) and held her for a little while and when I got her back, I couldn't smell my baby. She smelled like someone else's scent and detergent. It drove me absolutely wild! I could only stand it for about three minutes before I went and scrubbed my baby down in the bath, even though she had already had a bath that morning.
A friend of mine SWORE by the Johnson's baby lotion, telling me that was one of her favorite memories of when her son was an infant (rubbing it on him after a bath) and would always put some on DD when she came over. I never had the heart to tell her I couldn't stand that my baby didn't smell like MY BABY anymore after she would do that!
post #1227 of 1466
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedaisy View Post
And the worst was when my dd was about 6 weeks and my (childless) friend called and i casually mentioned that i had been trying to get my dd to sleep for a while. She told me that I shoudl try her BIL's trick - they put their baby's crib in the CLOSET and would just put the baby in the crib and close the door until the morning : I didnt even know what to say so I just said, "well my dd is only 6 weeks old" and she said that her BIL did this from the day they brought their baby home! : poor baby!
I'd be willing to risk the friendship by saying "I can't believe anyone would do that, your BIL must be evil" if I thought there was even a tiny chance that'd keep that friend from sharing any more stories like that.
post #1228 of 1466
Quote:
Originally Posted by Livviesmom0207 View Post
I have a friend pregnant with twins who has a pet pig. This pig weighs more than she does. The pig sleeps in bed with her and her boyfriend. They bought a platform bed so the pig can get up and down.

When the twins come, they go into their own room and the pig stays (at least that's what they say now, haha) because according to her boyfriend "the pig HAS to sleep with us, he will freak out".

For the record, they brought this pig to a party at my house once and someone wanted to take a picture and this man had a FIT because he didn't want the pig laying on the ground-he didn't want the pig to get dirty.
L. M. A. O!!!!!!

I think that's the best thing I've read in this thread so far. OMG.
post #1229 of 1466
Quote:
Originally Posted by micah_mae_ View Post
From my Grandmother:
"He can't sit up by himself? All my girls could sit up and stand up when they were 3 months old."
Riiiiight, lol.

While staying with my mom for awhile when DD was about 15 months old, she kept INSISTING on keeping this wobbly table up with an antique lamp sitting on top. I kept telling her, "DD will climb on that table, break it and the lamp and seriously injure herself. Can you please put it away for now?" (She didn't have the table up when we got there, she had JUST put it out.)

Her response: "Just tell her no." HA! I was like, "Yeah, because a one year old just automatically listens when you say 'no'." And she said, "My kids did."
post #1230 of 1466
Quote:
From my Grandmother:
"He can't sit up by himself? All my girls could sit up and stand up when they were 3 months old."

My stepson insists that he was walking by himself at 3 months old. "Because his mom told him so".
post #1231 of 1466
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cherry Alive View Post
We took our 5 week old to Target in a bucket (we put it in a convertible stroller). I wanted to bring her in the Baby Hawk, but wasn't confident with wearing it yet.

She started crying and really wanted out so I unbuckled her and carried her in my arms the rest of the way. Most people smiled when they saw her, but there was a guy in our checkout who kept staring and staring (with a shocked look on his face) as if seeing a baby in someone was the biggest oddity in the world.

I have since given up using the stroller. We've taken some really lovely walks in her Baby Hawk and are going to an art exhibit with it tomorrow. I don't care what other people think. I think it's horrible when people explicitly carry their babies in buckets all the time. Once in a while, I understand, but I almost never see babes in arms anymore... Because people always have them in carseats, it's like you almost never see babies in public. I miss it!
I know, ITA! And FTR, I did in fact carry her up to our apartment in my arms. <3

Gah, this thread is giving me baby fever, oddly enough. I have no desire to have another child, but right now I really want to cuddle a little baby.
post #1232 of 1466
Quote:
Originally Posted by angelamariebee View Post
Gah, this thread is giving me baby fever, oddly enough. I have no desire to have another child, but right now I really want to cuddle a little baby.
Wanna come cuddle mine?
post #1233 of 1466
Quote:
Originally Posted by angelamariebee View Post
I know, ITA! And FTR, I did in fact carry her up to our apartment in my arms. <3

Gah, this thread is giving me baby fever, oddly enough. I have no desire to have another child, but right now I really want to cuddle a little baby.
come cuddle mine so i can do some chores
post #1234 of 1466
Quote:
Originally Posted by Agatha_Ann View Post
I was on vacation with my extended family and we had a day that consisted of a three hour drive to the airport, delayed plane, four hour flight, lost luggage, another two hours in the car...not an ideal day for a two year old! We got to the town where we were staying and we had to stop at Target. Inside my at the time two year old daughter completely melted down and was screaming at the top of her lungs. I had seperated from my family and was trying to find them so I could take her outside to settle down and they would know where we were. We were walking around trying to find them with her just losing it and this older woman walked over, got right in DD's face and yelled "YOU ARE NOT THE ONLY PERSON IN THIS STORE!" I was in total shock! We finally found my aunt and told her we were heading outside and went and sat on a bench. DD was sitting on my lap, but still crying when the same woman came out the door, looked over, and once again, "STILL?! GET A GRIP CHILD!"
Ohhhh, nope. I would have hit that woman. Seriously, I would have LOST my mind.
post #1235 of 1466
Quote:
Originally Posted by smeisnotapirate View Post
Wanna come cuddle mine?
Quote:
Originally Posted by emamum View Post
come cuddle mine so i can do some chores
Don't tempt me! I'll drive out there right now... err, swim I guess, since I live in Hawaii. lol
post #1236 of 1466
I met a woman recently at one of my kids activities. I was nursing DS3 and she was giving her two week old a bottle. She started to tell me that she couldn't breastfeed. Apparently she did with her first baby, but 6 weeks in, she woke up totally soaked in milk and she never made any more

Yesterday, I was in the grocery store and I had my baby in the sling. A lady stopped me and told me that she has a baby too, but its in the car : I must have given her a strange look because then she said, "But my baby is a goat" I guess she is going to make a sling for her goat now It was funny.
post #1237 of 1466
I got a real doozy this morning... from my HUSBAND. I was crabby because Eleanor has been gradually getting up earlier and earlier in spite of going to bed at the same time - I start getting her ready for bed at 8, and she's asleep by 8:30, or 8:45 at the very latest, but that's rare. She used to get up around 8:30 (not STTN), then 7:30, now she's down to 7:15. : Plus, she usually wants to get up and nurse 3 times per night, so the most I sleep at a time is 3 hours or so.

His response?

Well, that's almost 12 hours! That's plenty of sleep for anyone, even if you are getting up during the night!

:

I was speechless! By the time I was able to speak again he had already left the room, which was a good thing because I was about ready to punch him!
post #1238 of 1466
Quote:
Originally Posted by crabbyowl View Post
Well, that's almost 12 hours! That's plenty of sleep for anyone, even if you are getting up during the night!

:

I was speechless! By the time I was able to speak again he had already left the room, which was a good thing because I was about ready to punch him!
My dh has learned better than to suggest that my "12 hours of sleep" (generally in anywhere from 30 to 90 minute increments!) is enough for any human to exist on.
post #1239 of 1466
My new baby has a VERY strong sucking reflex. My in-laws have informed me that I'm a "mean mommy" because I refuse to give him a pacifier. FIL said the doctor told him to give his daughter a pacifier because "you can take a pacifier away but you can't take away a thumb."

I also got the typical "breastfeeding for 8 months is long enough" comment when I said I wanted to do it for AT LEAST a year.
post #1240 of 1466
Quote:
Originally Posted by crabbyowl View Post
I got a real doozy this morning... from my HUSBAND. I was crabby because Eleanor has been gradually getting up earlier and earlier in spite of going to bed at the same time - I start getting her ready for bed at 8, and she's asleep by 8:30, or 8:45 at the very latest, but that's rare. She used to get up around 8:30 (not STTN), then 7:30, now she's down to 7:15. : Plus, she usually wants to get up and nurse 3 times per night, so the most I sleep at a time is 3 hours or so.

His response?

Well, that's almost 12 hours! That's plenty of sleep for anyone, even if you are getting up during the night!

:

I was speechless! By the time I was able to speak again he had already left the room, which was a good thing because I was about ready to punch him!
I'd be tempted to set an alarm clock to go off every 30-90 minutes randomly while he's sleeping and see how great his "12 hours" is!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Parenting
Mothering › Mothering Forums › Mom › Parenting › What is the worst/dumbest thing anyone has ever said to you about parenting stuff? II