or Connect
Mothering › Mothering Forums › Pregnancy and Birth › Birth and Beyond › Unassisted Childbirth › Prayers please **UPDATE ON MOM AND BABY**
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Prayers please **UPDATE ON MOM AND BABY** - Page 6

post #101 of 138
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joezmom View Post
Maybe I missed an update, but how is the baby? Is the Mom still in the hospital?
Well, the story in her words is posted on page 1. Mom sent this to me after she got home from the hospital. The baby is fine, as she birthed within minutes of arriving at the hospital.

Emily
post #102 of 138
That is truly awful! I can't believe this happened to someone! Sending lots of good vibes!
post #103 of 138
I don't even have words. Prayers for those involved. Getting the records immediatley would be a step. YOu can then decide later if anything needs to be done.
post #104 of 138
Oh, that poor mama. I cried as I read her story. We'll be keeping her in our thoughts.
post #105 of 138
Wow. Im just now reading this... It makes me sick to my stomach hearing how she was treated.. and to think that CPS is involved.. WTH for?? (Sorry I havent read the rest of the replies yet).. Im praying for this mama.
post #106 of 138
It is so odd. The doctor committed an act of extreme ignorance and violence. At the worst, she will face a *civil* lawsuit, which her malpractice insurance will cover. The mother, on the other hand, made private choices for herself and her family, within her legal rights, and she is the one being treated like a criminal.
post #107 of 138
I'm so sorry this happened to her!!!


ETA: I just noticed the story. ing: I can't express how bad I feel for her. I usually wouldn't say this, but if she wants to take legal action I am 10000000000 % behind her. I can't believe someone would do something so, so evil!
post #108 of 138
I'm shocked and sickened. I cannot believe that a doctor could do something so awful to a person, but yet, I do believe it. And I strongly believe that the mother and her family should sue for malpractice, assault and battery, pain and suffering, violating informed consent, everything. I send my prayers that the mama can recover quickly and easily, that she'll be able to have children again if she wants more in the future, and that she'll have the strength, love and support she needs to overcome the emotional fall out of an experience like that, and the tenacity to file the lawsuit and take it to court. I really can't express how hurt and disturbed I am by her story and how much my heart goes out to her.
post #109 of 138
As for requesting the records, I've attended hundreds of births, at home, in birth centers, and in hospitals. What gets WRITTEN DOWN usually bears only a slight resemblance to what actually happened.

I've seen a doctor with white powder on his nose and upper lip rush into the OR to catch a baby who had been crowning for a WHILE. Did the nurse charting bother to mention the white powder on his nose and upper lip? No. Did she record the fact that he was more interested in donning a mask than in donning gloves? No. What about the fact the in taking extra tie to don the mask, he increased the risk of that baby falling more than 3 1/2 feet onto the floor since the baby was being born (past crowning to actual expulsion of the head and shoulders) as the doctor stood there fiddling with his mask? Nope, not that either.

At a home birth with a direct entry midwife, where the midwife yanked the uterus out (the cervix came out of the vagina, but not the entire uterus) by pulling on the cord less than 5 minutes after the birth, did that get written down? Yes, because I was charting. Did it stay in the chart for more than 2 hours? No, because the midwife rewrote the WHOLE page to her liking. Did I ever get invited to assist her again? Of course not. Not that I would have, anyway. But she's still practicing 15 years later!

At the birth center birth where the well-respected granny midwife ignored clear signs of preeclampsia (or whatever you prefer to call it these days) -- raging headache, soaring BPs, scotomata, pitting edema, marked proteinuria. When the mother finally had a seizure and cardiac arrest, what happened to the chart in which I had charted all of the above? It was rewritten, squeaky clean, within 60 minutes of the time the mother was transported -- rewritten by a midwife who stayed behind for that express purpose. A midwife who had not even attended the woman in labor. Even the prenatal care part was rewritten. I later fetched the real record out of the trash from behind the birth center. I brought it to the midwifery peer review -- that was a joke, and the end of my career.

People wonder why I UC rather than hire midwives. Unfortunately, as awful as hospital care can be, here where I live, the home birth care is just as scary.
post #110 of 138
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mumse View Post
As for requesting the records, I've attended hundreds of births, at home, in birth centers, and in hospitals. What gets WRITTEN DOWN usually bears only a slight resemblance to what actually happened.

I've seen a doctor with white powder on his nose and upper lip rush into the OR to catch a baby who had been crowning for a WHILE. Did the nurse charting bother to mention the white powder on his nose and upper lip? No. Did she record the fact that he was more interested in donning a mask than in donning gloves? No. What about the fact the in taking extra tie to don the mask, he increased the risk of that baby falling more than 3 1/2 feet onto the floor since the baby was being born (past crowning to actual expulsion of the head and shoulders) as the doctor stood there fiddling with his mask? Nope, not that either.

At a home birth with a direct entry midwife, where the midwife yanked the uterus out (the cervix came out of the vagina, but not the entire uterus) by pulling on the cord less than 5 minutes after the birth, did that get written down? Yes, because I was charting. Did it stay in the chart for more than 2 hours? No, because the midwife rewrote the WHOLE page to her liking. Did I ever get invited to assist her again? Of course not. Not that I would have, anyway. But she's still practicing 15 years later!

At the birth center birth where the well-respected granny midwife ignored clear signs of preeclampsia (or whatever you prefer to call it these days) -- raging headache, soaring BPs, scotomata, pitting edema, marked proteinuria. When the mother finally had a seizure and cardiac arrest, what happened to the chart in which I had charted all of the above? It was rewritten, squeaky clean, within 60 minutes of the time the mother was transported -- rewritten by a midwife who stayed behind for that express purpose. A midwife who had not even attended the woman in labor. Even the prenatal care part was rewritten. I later fetched the real record out of the trash from behind the birth center. I brought it to the midwifery peer review -- that was a joke, and the end of my career.

People wonder why I UC rather than hire midwives. Unfortunately, as awful as hospital care can be, here where I live, the home birth care is just as scary.
:shock

nak

horrible... disgusting... but thank you for pushing dh from 'apprehensive about uc' to fully on board...

i can't believe what goes on...
post #111 of 138
sounds like the medical-minded MWs in my area. I don't think it's rare anymore.
post #112 of 138
That happens around here too (the re-writing, leaving out of details, medications, procedures used with their out of hospital births)... but not everyone does it thank God... and there are those MWs around here who don't.
post #113 of 138
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mumse View Post
As for requesting the records, I've attended hundreds of births, at home, in birth centers, and in hospitals. What gets WRITTEN DOWN usually bears only a slight resemblance to what actually happened.

I've seen a doctor with white powder on his nose and upper lip rush into the OR to catch a baby who had been crowning for a WHILE. Did the nurse charting bother to mention the white powder on his nose and upper lip? No. Did she record the fact that he was more interested in donning a mask than in donning gloves? No. What about the fact the in taking extra tie to don the mask, he increased the risk of that baby falling more than 3 1/2 feet onto the floor since the baby was being born (past crowning to actual expulsion of the head and shoulders) as the doctor stood there fiddling with his mask? Nope, not that either.

At a home birth with a direct entry midwife, where the midwife yanked the uterus out (the cervix came out of the vagina, but not the entire uterus) by pulling on the cord less than 5 minutes after the birth, did that get written down? Yes, because I was charting. Did it stay in the chart for more than 2 hours? No, because the midwife rewrote the WHOLE page to her liking. Did I ever get invited to assist her again? Of course not. Not that I would have, anyway. But she's still practicing 15 years later!

At the birth center birth where the well-respected granny midwife ignored clear signs of preeclampsia (or whatever you prefer to call it these days) -- raging headache, soaring BPs, scotomata, pitting edema, marked proteinuria. When the mother finally had a seizure and cardiac arrest, what happened to the chart in which I had charted all of the above? It was rewritten, squeaky clean, within 60 minutes of the time the mother was transported -- rewritten by a midwife who stayed behind for that express purpose. A midwife who had not even attended the woman in labor. Even the prenatal care part was rewritten. I later fetched the real record out of the trash from behind the birth center. I brought it to the midwifery peer review -- that was a joke, and the end of my career.

People wonder why I UC rather than hire midwives. Unfortunately, as awful as hospital care can be, here where I live, the home birth care is just as scary.
:<-------- Don't do my feelings justice. I'm considering UC for real now!
post #114 of 138
Thread Starter 

Update On Mom And Baby

UPDATE ON MOM AND BABY:
I talked with mom last night, and she's doing great!! She's up and around and feeling tired, but good. Breastfeeding is going perfectly. Of all the crappy things that happened in the hospital, she at least got a decent LC. She's gone to get her records, probably today, and she will start action soon.

It turns out there were two things that occurred simultaneously when the doc put traction on the cord. 1) the uterus was inverted, which was not in itself life-threatening, 2) the placenta was yanked out, which caused significant bleeding. They took her to OR because the doctor who pulled the uterus out high-tailed it out of the room, and they took her to OR for general anesthesia. She was not, however, cut open (thank God). They just pushed her uterus back in there. She later received two units of blood to cover what was lost in the placenta removal. She's in some pain, but is moving around well, and there doesn't seem to be any major future implications re her uterus.

SS did interview her and make sure she was not "neglectful" but soon left when they saw the healthy, happy family. The family is coping well and trying to get back to regular life.

Thanks again for all the prayers and love sent her way.

Emily
post #115 of 138
It seems to me that if there is going to be pending legal action we cannot expect anyone to verify with names and such until after that is settled. Isn't that the first thing a lawyer tells you when you contact about potential lawsuits? Don't start talking to people because anything you say to anyone might potentially damage your case?
post #116 of 138
WOW. Reading her story made me weak and sick to my stomach. My heart goes out to her and her family. Thanks so much for sharing her story mama.
post #117 of 138
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mumse View Post
It is so odd. The doctor committed an act of extreme ignorance and violence. At the worst, she will face a *civil* lawsuit, which her malpractice insurance will cover. The mother, on the other hand, made private choices for herself and her family, within her legal rights, and she is the one being treated like a criminal.
It's wrong, isn't it!

I would tell the mother to edit out everything she's written and hire a lawyer ASAP.
post #118 of 138
Thank you for the update! SO glad to hear that nursing is going well!
post #119 of 138
:
post #120 of 138
Quote:
Originally Posted by emilyjh75 View Post
She's in some pain, but is moving around well, and there doesn't seem to be any major future implications re her uterus.

SS did interview her and make sure she was not "neglectful" but soon left when they saw the healthy, happy family. The family is coping well and trying to get back to regular life.
Thank goodness! Thank you for the update.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Unassisted Childbirth
Mothering › Mothering Forums › Pregnancy and Birth › Birth and Beyond › Unassisted Childbirth › Prayers please **UPDATE ON MOM AND BABY**