or Connect
Mothering › Mothering Forums › Archives › Pregnancy and Birth Archives › Due Date Clubs 2004 - 2008  › March 2008 › Jakob's Birth - kind of long
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Jakob's Birth - kind of long

post #1 of 7
Thread Starter 
So I am finally getting to our birth story.

Contractions started around 4 am on 3/25, but they were 10 minutes apart and not very painful or uncomfortable. I thought it was going to be just like the other two times this happened, and they would stop in a few hours. Just to be safe, I called the OB, and she said to wait a few hours before coming in. I planned on doing this anyway, but I just wanted to give her a heads up. Since I was already at 3 cm the day before, I thought 10 am would be a good time to go to the hospital.

The contractions were about 5 minutes apart, and I was at 5 cm and 100% effaced. Here is where I started to regret going to the hospital this early. We sat in triage for HOURS because they didn't have enough nurses. They had me hooked up to monitors and wouldn't let me get out of bed. They told me as soon as I get a room, I could get up and walk around or switch positions.

Unfortunately, we didn't get a room until around 2 pm. At this point I had been sitting in the same position, hooked up to crap for 4 hours. I was in a lot of pain, especially since that's all I could do is concentrate on the pain just sitting/lying there. My lo was faced the wrong way and my back was killing me, so I gave in and got the epi.

As soon as they started it, my bp dropped and I almost passed out and threw up at the same time. They had to give me two rounds of effedrine (I think - it was a little foggy) to get my bp up to normal. I didn't really know what was going on, but the look on my husband's face when I came to kind of scared me. He told me I went completely white and wouldn't talk to anyone. I don't remember this at all.

So next they had me switch positions every 20 minutes to try to get him to turn. I wasn't working, and no one would give me a straight answer on what the next step was. My water broke around 3:50, and I went right to 10 cm with pressure on my bottom. I told the nurse, and she said I need to hold on for the OB who was delivering another baby in the next room. I told her there was no way I could wait for that. She got the OB right away. Apparently when my water broke my lo turned into postion. I only pushed once and Jakob Samuel was born at 4:07 pm. 8 lbs 1 ounce 19 inches long.

He nursed right away, and we got lots of cuddle time before I got really sick. I got a migraine headache and was throwing up. The hospital staff had me wait until I was no longer throwing up to move us to a pp room. At this point I was exhausted and starving, and wanted everyone to leave us alone. I never let my sweet little boy out of my sight while at the hospital, except when the pediatrician checked him (he needed to weigh him and the scale was in another room).

By the time we got home, Jakob had made my nipples bleed. I talked to a lactation consultant and she gave me some all purpose nipple ointment, and told me to pump and feed him a bottle for 2-3 days. She also gave me some nipple shields to try. I followed her orders, and I healed up really quickly. Jakob had no problems switching back to the breast after those 3 days. We are now working on getting off of the shields.

Even though this wasn't the birth that I had planned, I am so happy that my lo is finally in my arms and nursing well. Big sister K just adores him, and big brother L doesn't seem to mind having a baby around.

post #2 of 7
Welcome Jakob that first pic of you two is lovely. Sorry you had such a rough start. With my second baby I pumped for the first few days and it tore up my breasts, the cream helped but colustrum and letting them air out seemed to help even more. Nursing was pretty painful for a week though then was fine.
post #3 of 7
Welcome little boy!!!

I am glad to hear that he is nursing well . . . .we used shields as well, though only for a few days with Z (but a few weeks with G). It's not too hard to get ff of them if you do it gradually. I would start with the shield and after the let down I would pop her off for a second to remove it and put her right back on as the milk was flowing well. After a few days of this I was able to just do away with the shield entirely. Good luck!

Happy babymoon!
post #4 of 7
Welcome Jakob!!! Your pictures are absolutely beautiful!

(and I hear you on the back labour! YEOUCH! I'm not sure when my daughter turned but it had to be late in the process... I'm absolutely amazed that you managed to stay still so long. There was no way I could hold still during contractions with the back pain!)
post #5 of 7
Congrats on the beautiful baby!! I'm sorry that epidural was so hard on you.
post #6 of 7
Your children are beautiful! Congratulations!
post #7 of 7
Welcome Jakob! for the tough labor. I had back labor too, for the 2nd time. It really is the pits. My little guy was huge and it took him hours to turn around. Ugh.
I'm sorry you had to deal with painful cracked nipples after all that, too. Glad you are feeling better and that nursing is going well.
You have a truly beautiful family!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: March 2008
Mothering › Mothering Forums › Archives › Pregnancy and Birth Archives › Due Date Clubs 2004 - 2008  › March 2008 › Jakob's Birth - kind of long