or Connect
Mothering › Mothering Forums › Mom › Parenting › Watching TV = no big deal?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Watching TV = no big deal? - Page 5

post #81 of 103
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertwind View Post
I don't understand why sooo many folks think TV is actually evil. I am talking about toddlers watching commercial free cartoons say several hours a day.
Well, if you genuinely want to know why some parents choose to go TV-free, I would do some reading. My recommendations are _Buy Buy Baby_ and _The Plug-In Drug_.

I think "evil" is a very strong word, but I do think our lives have improved enormously since we've been TV free (dd, almost 2, has never watched any TV). We talk more, read more, interact more, and are more creative in how we spend our time. We sleep better. Our concentration has improved tremendously. And we were never big TV watchers to begin with. Dd is incredibly verbal, independent, social, and creative--I'm not saying that a child who watches TV *won't* be those things--I'm just saying that we don't see what TV could be giving her (and us) that she doesn't already have.

So many TV shows feed into (and are fed by) a culture of over- and conspicuous consumption that we want to avoid as much as possible. I like that dd's dolls are just dolls, not Elmo and Dora. I like that she doesn't ask for the fruit snacks or sugar cereal at the supermarket, just because it has a favorite character on the box. I like that all of her books are actual books, not product tie-ins meant to feed the cycle of watching and buying.

We watch movies at home (just dh and I) maybe once or twice a month. When dd is older, we will include her in that, but I don't think we'll want to do it more often. So many nights, one of us will say, "Hmm...do you want to watch a movie?" And after we think about it, we almost always say, "No, let's do X instead."

And "several hours a day"? Dd is "busy" (dinner, bath, stories, etc.) starting at 6:30 pm, goes to sleep around 8, wakes at around 7am. We're dressing and eating breakfast and tidying up until around 8:30. She naps for around 2 hours a day. So our big blocks of play time are 8:30-12 and then 3-6:30. I can't imagine if three of those hours a day were taken up with TV! We'd miss out on so many other activities--trips to the park, art class, walks around the neighborhood, cooking together, reading books, coloring, gardening, building, doing puzzles, whatever. Again, it's not that I think TV is "evil"--it's that there are so many other things that we find more enriching. But several hours a day seems really worrisome to me. Toddlers just don't have that much awake time!

Quote:
Originally Posted by swimswamswum View Post
Small kids don't differentiate between commercial and program content. Very scary.
Yes. And all the studies that have been done on this equate "small" with "seven or eight and younger"--we're not just talking about toddlers.
post #82 of 103
Cheesecake isn't evil either, but if you make it part of your daily diet, it causes health problems. Same with TV, IMHO.
post #83 of 103
Quote:
Originally Posted by karina5 View Post
Are you personalizing what I said? Why?
Oh, not at all! I didn't take your statement as being directed at me -- and I certainly wasn't directing what I said specifically to you.

I was just sharing what I've seen in my experience -- that most parents who say that their kids can't self-regulate, haven't allowed them more than a few days to get the hang of freedom, before swooping in to re-impose the limits.

And in the other example I shared, where my friend allowed her kids tons of freedom to watch TV and play computer games, I don't think they had tons of freedom in other areas -- such as freedom to interact with her and have her be available, freedom to explore the outdoors and make messes, and so on.

It's a natural response, when someone's used to being regulated, for them to try to take in all they can of the limited thing before it's snatched away again. It can take a looong time -- I'm talking months, not weeks or days -- for a child to finally trust that the freedom is there to stay. Sadly, many parents end up fulfilling the child's suspicion that the freedom really isn't there to stay.

Quote:
All I'm saying is that not every kid is the same. Would you disagree with that?
Oh, I certainly agree that every individual is unique. My two daughters are very different from one another in many ways. But, in both cases, they have a wide range of interests that includes, but is not limited to, TV and computer games.
post #84 of 103
Quote:
Originally Posted by velochic View Post
Cheesecake isn't evil either, but if you make it part of your daily diet, it causes health problems. Same with TV, IMHO.
:

This is essentially my feeling as well.
post #85 of 103
I guess we limit it here, but it is not usually a power struggle. If he wants to watch a cartoon, I let him. I won't let him watch one video after another, but he rarely wants to since we only have three and he is getting sick of them.

I watch tv a little bit and so does ds.

And I don't like cheese cake very much, but we have unlimited access to Ben and Jerry's in this house. I'm not kidding. Interestingly, ds seems to be able to self-regulate with that and only asks twice a week or so. But if he wants it for breakfast, he gets it. Ben and Jerry have a very special place in my heart.
post #86 of 103
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoopin' Mama View Post
And I don't like cheese cake very much, but we have unlimited access to Ben and Jerry's in this house. I'm not kidding. Interestingly, ds seems to be able to self-regulate with that and only asks twice a week or so. But if he wants it for breakfast, he gets it. Ben and Jerry have a very special place in my heart.
It's cool to meet another momma who's cool with ice-cream for breakfast!
post #87 of 103
Quote:
Originally Posted by mammal_mama View Post
It's cool to meet another momma who's cool with ice-cream for breakfast!

Hahaha! Ds and I cheers with our ice cream spoons.
The universe just smacked me down though. We are having an issue today where he seems to want to do nothing but watch cartoons. ARg. Time to leave the house I guess!
post #88 of 103
We love our TV here. I do think for our son's sake, we need to mind what we are watching. I tend to keep it off as much as possible throughout the day. This is part of my "Get the Electric Bill Down" campaign, but also so that DS isn't tempted at all to sit and watch. He's almost 10 months old. Some days he's more interested in it than others. But I do turn it on at breakfast and lunch when it's just me and him so he pays attention to that and I can eat.

My brother on the other hand. He has a son a month older than mine. That kid watches hours of TV a day. His mother told us he watches Baby Einstein to make him smart, and that she recently had to toss a copy of a Sesame Street video because he had watched it so much it wore out. I was speechless. He was 9 months old when she told me that. You have to watch a video A LOT to make it wear out.

I'll allow DS to watch TV as he grows up. Where we live, 6 months out of the year there's little to do outside anyway.
post #89 of 103
A black/white way of looking at the world scares the pants off me. TV is Evil. Sugar is evil. People who eat powdered donuts at Coffee Hour after services are evil. (Mmmmm, donuts). No playing with the evil schooled children who live next door. No playing with the evil pagan children next door. No letting the evil MIL hold the new baby. No reading the evil No, David! Or Harry Potter. No eating the evil Ranch Pringles with the evil Diet Coke chaser.

I don't want to live that way. : And I know my family hasn't asked for any restrictions. (Plus, now my dh is happy you all scared the pants off me).
post #90 of 103
Quote:
Originally Posted by UUMom View Post
And I know my family hasn't asked for any restrictions.
Mine hasn't either!

Quote:
(Plus, now my dh is happy you all scared the pants off me).
Well, by all means go have some fun with it!
post #91 of 103
I think of all the things my son would not know if we were not a tv watching family. The amount of knowledge mostly good that one can learn from tv is amazing.

I know I know well then read to him right? Well we do that too.

My son has been starring in amazement at the tv since 6months old. He now has an amazing vocabulary for a 4 year old and I feel it also helped him socialy. Programs like Little Bear, Clifford, and others really teach great manners and the proper way to treat your frinds.

I think tv is GREAT!
post #92 of 103
Quote:
Originally Posted by fresh_water View Post
I'll allow DS to watch TV as he grows up. Where we live, 6 months out of the year there's little to do outside anyway.

It's funny you should say that, because we got 15 feet of snow this year in ottawa...we were too busy shoveling to watch TV!:
post #93 of 103
I don't think it is a big deal at all. Sitting in front of the tv all day long every day? Not great. Watching Sesame Street while mommy makes dinner? Fine by me. Watching the FlowerTots so mommy gets 20 minutes of peace and quiet? Great!
post #94 of 103
Quote:
Originally Posted by pumpkinmom2 View Post
I think of all the things my son would not know if we were not a tv watching family. The amount of knowledge mostly good that one can learn from tv is amazing.

I know I know well then read to him right? Well we do that too.
I love to read, and my oldest sure does enjoy being read to -- but my youngest still mostly prefers just looking at books on her own (and telling us about them), and doesn't generally like being read to.

But she loves sitting on Mommy's or Daddy's lap and talking to us about the stuff she sees on TV!.

Quote:
My son has been starring in amazement at the tv since 6months old. He now has an amazing vocabulary for a 4 year old and I feel it also helped him socialy. Programs like Little Bear, Clifford, and others really teach great manners and the proper way to treat your frinds.

I think tv is GREAT!
One cool thing about the way children love to watch the same stuff over and over: It really does build vocabulary. After the umpteenth time watching a movie, I'll hear questions about the meanings of certain words and phrases, things that aren't always noticed in the thrill of watching the first time.

It kinda makes me sad when parents say their kids aren't allowed to watch the same show, or listen to the same book, over and over -- I think this kind of repetition is very important for most children.

Not that TV is the only way to learn to talk, : I'm sure our TV-free counterparts can figure out some way to fill in the deficit! (I hope y'all can figure out that I'm joking!).
post #95 of 103
Quote:
Originally Posted by velochic View Post
Cheesecake isn't evil either, but if you make it part of your daily diet, it causes health problems. Same with TV, IMHO.
Actually, as part of a daily diet I think cheesecake could be just fine. There are many different kinds of cheesecake after all, and you could choose to have it in different amounts based on the rest of your diet for that day or how active you'd been lately, etc. You could make it at home from scratch which would allow you to control what the ingredients are, etc. You could even make it vegan!
post #96 of 103
Quote:
Originally Posted by UUMom View Post
A black/white way of looking at the world scares the pants off me. TV is Evil. Sugar is evil. People who eat powdered donuts at Coffee Hour after services are evil. (Mmmmm, donuts). No playing with the evil schooled children who live next door. No playing with the evil pagan children next door. No letting the evil MIL hold the new baby. No reading the evil No, David! Or Harry Potter. No eating the evil Ranch Pringles with the evil Diet Coke chaser.

I don't want to live that way. : And I know my family hasn't asked for any restrictions. (Plus, now my dh is happy you all scared the pants off me).
LOL!
post #97 of 103
Quote:
Originally Posted by UnschoolnMa View Post
Actually, as part of a daily diet I think cheesecake could be just fine. There are many different kinds of cheesecake after all, and you could choose to have it in different amounts based on the rest of your diet for that day or how active you'd been lately, etc. You could make it at home from scratch which would allow you to control what the ingredients are, etc. You could even make it vegan!
I like this idea!
post #98 of 103
My prefence is to limit TV to only non commercial type shows. Even PBS lately has gotten to many commercials on their cartoons.
post #99 of 103
Quote:
Originally Posted by UnschoolnMa View Post
I think commercials are fun, educational, stupid, clever, entertaining, and sometimes even touching. I get that they are trying to sell something though, and I think a mindful parent will share that information with their children.

We love to snark on and discuss commercials.
Growing my siblings and I use to crank up over commercials. They even had a tape of commercials that was funny! Commercials don't influence my buying power, infact growning up we use to roll our eyes too at 'oh please, I don't need that, what I waste of money'. But I believe it has to do w/ your parents too. My parents are not shoppers of material stuff that made me feel I need stuff.

If anything I had a hard time even buying things, so does my siblings, we always think we can use the money for something better (except food, we all like to buy food). DH has to encourage me to buy stuff (cloths which I need).
post #100 of 103
I don't think tv is evil. I watched tv as a kid and I watch tv now, and I rather like the adult I've become. I do limit the time that the tv is on though. I'm a SAHM and during the day the tv is on for 1 hour for me to watch People's Court. Maybe once a week or so ds watches a kid program. But when daddy gets home, the tv is pretty much on until bedtime. As for comercials, I usually mute them. But they are also helpful when making mental notes of what not to buy.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Parenting
Mothering › Mothering Forums › Mom › Parenting › Watching TV = no big deal?