or Connect
Mothering › Mothering Forums › Natural Living › Nutrition and Good Eating › Lunchables Jr. Warning
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Lunchables Jr. Warning

post #1 of 50
Thread Starter 
I didn't know where to put this, so I hope here is Ok.

A friend of mine just shared a letter that she wrote to Kraft foods, and asked that we share ithe info with anyone that might want to know. Honestly I don't feed any of my family Lunchables, but I'm very concerned about what happened, because this happens to be something that people are feeding their children! Since I know the woman that experienced this I know it's not another internet rumor, so I wanted people to know about this:


Ladies and Gentlemen,
I admit it.
I am an angry mom.

Why, when I place the ham from Lunchables Jr in the microwave -- for FIVE seconds -- does it spark and catch fire?
Yes, you read that right.

My 16 month old son now prefers his food with the chill of the refrigerator taken off. So, recently I started putting the ham from his Lunchables Jr in the microwave for 5-8 seconds.
Each time I put it in. They spark and burn!

First I blamed it on the barcode. "It must have bits of metal in it," I thought.
Then I blamed it on the now-dreaded plastic.
Today, I took the ham completely out of the package and put it on a napkin.
At the 3 second mark -- the sparks, mini-fire, and burning began.

I grab it out of the now fire-smelling microwave to find burned spots on several pieces of ham, as the smoke it put off dissipates.

I am no expert in electronics or food -- but isn't a microwave only supposed to spark if METAL is put in it?
Indeed, after 20+ years of using microwaves, the only time I have seen sparks/fire resembling this is when I left a spoon in -- or did not realize there was aluminium of some kind in the packaging. The culprit in all those cases was obvious.
This is not.

This is not just food.
It is TODDLER/BABY food.

If you require further evidence of this, I will take out my video camera and videotape and entire "5 second microwave" session -- from package opening, to result -- for your review. However, I feel sure a quick test in your kitchens will prove my point, as this was not a one-time occurrence in my home.
For your information, I shall also provide you with purchase and package details below.

I thank you for your attention, and, given the circumstances, do request an immediate response.

Regards,
Maria XXXXXX
XXXXX@yahoo.com
XXXXXXXX
Glen Burnie, Maryland
XXXXXXXXXX


I shared this letter with family and my Aunt responded by telling me that the veggies in some frozen kids meals (I'm not sure if she meant the same brand) do the same thing! She said she was told it was the mineral content in the soil, but I find it hard to believe that meat would do the same thing!

I'm going to buy a few of them tonight and video it to see if this is a common occurance. I will post it on my blog if it occurs for me. (see siggy)

Thanks for letting me share!
post #2 of 50
Yikes! My son doesn't eat them, but I did as a kid. Keep us posted!
post #3 of 50
I don't know why, but I've even had fresh veggies (well washed) do this if I put them in without enough water.

-Angela
post #4 of 50
Ugh, I'm not surprised, those lunchable things are kinda scary. I can't imagine giving them to my kid in the first place though.

FYI, when I try to thaw frozen raspberries in the microwave they spark and burn too...very weird.
post #5 of 50
yeah umm..a lot of foods, even wholesome natural ones do this, if theres not enough moisture in them. maybe look into that.
post #6 of 50
post #7 of 50
I've put a piece of ham lunchmeat in the microwave and it's done the same thing.
post #8 of 50
I've never had vegies spark in my microwave - and I usually cook wholesome organic ones.
post #9 of 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by zersha View Post
I've never had vegies spark in my microwave - and I usually cook wholesome organic ones.
I have had "wholesome organic" veggies spark... If I don't add enough water...

-Angela
post #10 of 50
Thread Starter 
I've cooked, lunch meat and veggies in the microwave and never had that happen, however the rasberries aren't as suprising because of the seeds. I bet they pop sortof like popcorn.
post #11 of 50
Often small quantities of food spark in the microwave.
I have reheated a few Tablespoons of organic carrots that I picked myself and they spark, likewise with some reheated corn from our local CSA (even completely covered in water in a small glass measuring cup), and with green beans in water from Trader Joe's. Maybe they all have a good mineral content? Who knows. But it only happens when I do small amounts.
I don't think it has anything to do with the quality (or total lack thereof ) of Lunchables.
post #12 of 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by alegna View Post
I don't know why, but I've even had fresh veggies (well washed) do this if I put them in without enough water.

-Angela
Me too! I was going to post that but then thought maybe it was isolated. But since you said it, yeah. I don't think it's the lunchables themselves. Although I've never bought them...so whatever.
post #13 of 50
I got rid of a microwave once because it did this to my carrots. Now I realize I got rid of a perfectly find microwave! Ugh!
post #14 of 50
This happens quite a bit to me when I'm trying to heat up veggies for DD in small quantities! Also when I've nuked a piece or two of lunch meat.
post #15 of 50
Even if there is not a problem with the meat, I hope this story gets around and encourages lots of people to stop buying Lunchables.

FTR, small amounts of food spark in my microwave as well.
post #16 of 50
there is a huge number of even organic natural home grown vegetables that will spark and burn in a microwave because of moisture content.

I for one wont stop buying lunchables or lunchables jr because of this story, because if anyone thought about it logicly, you would understand the reason it did it.
post #17 of 50
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by wonderwahine View Post
I for one wont stop buying lunchables or lunchables jr because of this story, because if anyone thought about it logicly, you would understand the reason it did it.
Yes Tuvok, it may make perfect sense to you, but obviously there are those of us who don't understand why lunchmeat would spark and light on fire. Don't assume every single person understands everything about lunchmeat and veggies or is Vulcan. If I KNEW what caused it.... then I wouldn't have posted this.
post #18 of 50
then why not make a thread asking why it could happen, instead of making a thread on a product being tainted if you truely only wanted to know why it would happen instead of create paranoia over a product?
post #19 of 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by veganf View Post
Often small quantities of food spark in the microwave.
I have only had one thing spark in the microwave - ever - and that was a cup that had a sticker on it that I didn't realize had metal on it! I have never seen anything spark - ever. Weird.
post #20 of 50
You can generally prevent sparking in the microwave when heating small quantities of food by putting a cup of water in there with the food to be heated.

Basically the microwave has to put some of its wattage toward that cup of water instead of all toward that tiny amount of food, and you avoid the sparking/burning. It has nothing to do with metal in the food or mineral content, although water content in the food may play a small role.

You will see more sparks like this in higher-wattage microwaves, i.e. the ones that always seem to cook food faster than the recommended times.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Nutrition and Good Eating
Mothering › Mothering Forums › Natural Living › Nutrition and Good Eating › Lunchables Jr. Warning