or Connect
Mothering › Mothering Forums › Baby › Life With a Baby › February 08 - Bring Out Your May Flowers!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

February 08 - Bring Out Your May Flowers! - Page 17

post #321 of 379
rynna, sounds great!
and julie, have fun!!
wish something fun was going on here, but no we are doing the same old thing...

but... jackson rolled over (front to back) for the first time today!! I think I was way more excited than he was
he's so active on his back I don't think back-to-front is far behind!

anyone else have a thumb-sucker on their hands? jackson loves to suck his thumb
post #322 of 379
Thread Starter 
Not only is his thumb delicious to him, but:

A. He will occasionally spit out my nipple to replace it with his thumb,
B. He will finish a lovely breastfeed session of nearly an hour's length and start sucking his thumb, and
C. Today he got both thumbs in his mouth and from his expression thought he'd died and gone to heaven.

I am going to have to have a serious conversation about oral fixations with this boy before he winds up with the pack a day habit I had in my 20s

This was the day he figured out that his fist was an option, he was not quite nine weeks old - http://www.flickr.com/photos/9388464...7604829018333/
post #323 of 379
what a happy little guy you have! James is a big finger/thumb/fist sucker. Pretty much whatever he can get in his mouth. He's been getting his thumb in more and more lately. We do use a pacifier too but he doesn't want it too much.

Is anyone else gaining weight? I am trying to lose it (though I do need to excercise more) but keep gaining! I weight as much now as I did right before giving birth. This is very frustrating! I am nursing James full time (no bottles of anything) and Grace is nursing 2x a day as well. Come on, that's got to be a lot of calories, right? Anyone else struggling not only to lose weight but actually gaining?
post #324 of 379
cash doesn't really suck on his thumb...i think he's trying to gum it to death. teeth soon, perhaps?

i'm hovering at preprego weight +15lbs. it's not coming off, and i've decided to keep it until we're done nursing. i might start working on my abs a little, just so my pants will fit. i'll work on the back fat and everything else later.
post #325 of 379
Trixie is a finger sucker too, she loves her middle and ring fingers... cracks me up every time.

peace_laughing thank you. I'll PM you...
post #326 of 379
Quote:
Originally Posted by salt_phoenix View Post
Do share your new playa names!!! I started as phoenix, then salt phoenix, then gypsy laSal: duchess of seabase, NOW? I'm liking Gypsy laSal: Migrant Bohemian. Such a mouthful.
Here's a biter tho; NO ONE under 21 this year... 'cept babes in arms... Ember gets to go, but my other two do not... BUMMER!!! They would have SO MUCH FUN!
I cannot imagine a rule forbidding anyone under 21 save babes in arms; Certainly not at Four Quarters. The Land kind of demands that children be safe. It's really weird, but I heard more than one person say that it was the most family-friendly burn they'd ever attended, and where the heck were all the kids? (There were very few-- the regulars, the children of staffers, and of course the little girl who lives there and with whom my son is in love ).

Ah, the playa names. So funny, because Scratch (the man who gave me the first one) called it a playa name, to which I responded, "How can I have a playa name when I've never been to the playa?!" In any case... I was Hickey. Hickey Shortlegs. Someone else called me Pollack (as in Jackson) but that didn't really stick, and Jack in the Green decided that I was The Black Widow. I'm sure that you can imagine a great many stories surrounding these names, all of which I most assuredly earned. It was Hickey Shortlegs, though. She was something else. She's asleep now, and she's going to stay that way for a looooooooong time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by firecat View Post
anyone else have a thumb-sucker on their hands? jackson loves to suck his thumb
Bear is a bit of a thumb sucker; He seems, like Trixie, to prefer fingers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Writerbird View Post
Not only is his thumb delicious to him, but:

A. He will occasionally spit out my nipple to replace it with his thumb,
B. He will finish a lovely breastfeed session of nearly an hour's length and start sucking his thumb, and
C. Today he got both thumbs in his mouth and from his expression thought he'd died and gone to heaven.

I am going to have to have a serious conversation about oral fixations with this boy before he winds up with the pack a day habit I had in my 20s
BooBah was High Priestess of Thumbsuckers (still is). I have pictures of her at seven weeks old with the thumb in her mouth and there's none of that sideways, struggling business-- oh no, she was quite clearly a professional thumbsucker. BooBah nursed for food primarily; She liked to be near me, but she sucked her thumb for comfort. She self-weaned at 15 months, and would occasionally ask for a nursie. When I pulled out the boob, she would curl up, press her cheek against it, and stick her thumb in her mouth. So flipping cute. Meanwhile, BeanBean was still driving Matchbox cars over my boob while he nursed.

Bear is nothing like as proficient as BooBah when it comes to thumbsucking, though. By three months, it was clear that BooBah would have quite a habit to break.
post #327 of 379
Quote:
Originally Posted by firecat View Post
rynna, sounds great!
and julie, have fun!!
wish something fun was going on here, but no we are doing the same old thing...

but... jackson rolled over (front to back) for the first time today!! I think I was way more excited than he was
he's so active on his back I don't think back-to-front is far behind!

anyone else have a thumb-sucker on their hands? jackson loves to suck his thumb
yay for jackson! I've got a little thumb-sucker on my hands over here. Grace found her thumb at about 3 months and is now rapidly closing in on 5 months(oh my GOD! 5 months!) and she's addicted. She does it mostly when she's bored or when she is tired but it's not unheard of for her to just pop her thumb in after nursing and look up at me and smile around it. I have ultrasound pics of her sucking her thumb and she's adament that plastic not touch her lips so I figured it was bound to happen. But her daddy is freaking out since he was a diehard thumbsucker(until 14!!!!!!!!!!! and he's 26 and sleeps with his fist on his face still ) and he's worried she'll go that route.
with mama
nap
outside
post #328 of 379
Quote:
Originally Posted by Writerbird View Post
Not only is his thumb delicious to him, but:

A. He will occasionally spit out my nipple to replace it with his thumb,
B. He will finish a lovely breastfeed session of nearly an hour's length and start sucking his thumb, and
C. Today he got both thumbs in his mouth and from his expression thought he'd died and gone to heaven.

I am going to have to have a serious conversation about oral fixations with this boy before he winds up with the pack a day habit I had in my 20s

This was the day he figured out that his fist was an option, he was not quite nine weeks old - http://www.flickr.com/photos/9388464...7604829018333/
so adorable! Grace doesn't spit out the nipple. She tries to get both the nipple AND the thumb in there all at once. Can't quite manage but I give her an A for effort. And she gets so angry when she can't do it too. Very cute!
post #329 of 379
We're back too Good weekend, good scenery, things 1,2 and 3 were horrendously raucous and thig 4 gave up sleeping, bless his cotton socks.

Loraxc . You can do this.

Dea, I've been pregnant whilst nursing 5 times and every time my supply has dropped.The breastmilk banks over here take milk from mothers of toddlers though its only used in scbu, though...
Rynna, I want details. Processing WHAT, exactly?
post #330 of 379
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahn4639 View Post
Is anyone else gaining weight? I am trying to lose it (though I do need to excercise more) but keep gaining! I weight as much now as I did right before giving birth. This is very frustrating! I am nursing James full time (no bottles of anything) and Grace is nursing 2x a day as well. Come on, that's got to be a lot of calories, right? Anyone else struggling not only to lose weight but actually gaining?
yes!
Very odd, I lost ALL my baby weight within 2 weeks of Nellah's birth (seriously, I was as shocked as anyone!) But now I've gained at least 20lbs...
The only thing I can think is that I'm soooo hungry all the time and cannot help munching throughout the day. I'm joining a gym (signing up on Friday) and I walk every night after the kids are down for about an hour, but I keep gaining weight. Very frustrating.

And Nellah discovered her thumb yesterday and seems to be so much more content with the teething! It's so nice to see her be able to soothe herself -- still waiting for my teething necklace to arrive...

Nice to have you back Helen -- I empathize with the smoke-filled computer room, I have one at my dad's when I visit
post #331 of 379
Quote:
Originally Posted by flapjack View Post
Rynna, I want details. Processing WHAT, exactly?
The blog is a bit more detailed. I'm kind of concerned about more details here, as I'm fairly confident I'd violate the UA in a hurry.
post #332 of 379
Quote:
Originally Posted by eilonwy View Post
I She self-weaned at 15 months, and would occasionally ask for a nursie. When I pulled out the boob, she would curl up, press her cheek against it, and stick her thumb in her mouth.
awww!

Quote:
Originally Posted by justmama View Post
yay for jackson! I've got a little thumb-sucker on my hands over here. Grace found her thumb at about 3 months and is now rapidly closing in on 5 months(oh my GOD! 5 months!) and she's addicted. She does it mostly when she's bored or when she is tired but it's not unheard of for her to just pop her thumb in after nursing and look up at me and smile around it. I have ultrasound pics of her sucking her thumb and she's adament that plastic not touch her lips so I figured it was bound to happen. But her daddy is freaking out since he was a diehard thumbsucker(until 14!!!!!!!!!!! and he's 26 and sleeps with his fist on his face still ) and he's worried she'll go that route.
[/URL]
thanks, justmama! dh is also worried about long-term thumb-sucking...he tries to replace it w/ the paci when he notices b/c "at least we can take that away at some point"...I am pretty indifferent, it's my pov that as long as we don't make a big deal out of it he'll give it up when he's ready, and probably at a reasonable age - a cross that bridge when we get to it sort of thing. His mom told him his cousin sucked her thunb until she was 10 and he doesn't want that to happen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Writerbird View Post
Not only is his thumb delicious to him, but:

A. He will occasionally spit out my nipple to replace it with his thumb,
B. He will finish a lovely breastfeed session of nearly an hour's length and start sucking his thumb, and
C. Today he got both thumbs in his mouth and from his expression thought he'd died and gone to heaven.
: what a cute pic!
post #333 of 379
I've ranted elsewhere about the paci vs thumb arguments I've had with my mother. Apparently Sis was a thumbsucker and I had a paci. Given a choice, I'd MUCH rather have Terran soothe with a thumb and out of all of my kids, he seems the most likely to find his if the need for self-soothing comes up. Right now, I just politely move the little hand out of the way, give him the nipple, and say "That's not necessary."

I'd rather have him suck flesh than plastic because I think it's safer and cleaner and because it's something he can handle himself instead of being dependant on an adult. I also find it more aesthetically pleasing, but of course that's a matter of opinion.

My mother wanted me to introduce a paci immediately out of the womb to prevent thumbsucking, but she did not NIP and I think she nursed on a schedule and followed the advice of the day that nursing for comfort was "a waste of time". My bigger kids didn't need pacis or thumbs.
post #334 of 379
New pic of Nellah in my siggy : I call it the Mennonite shot (I realize the bonnet's a bit big, but it's still pretty cute!)

I was lurking on the Feb. 09 ddc thread; remembering back to a year ago and how I was feeling, and thinking about how much life has changed since then...
post #335 of 379
golly a Feb 09 thread. how time flies.
Ahhh remember the good ol' days?
post #336 of 379
Quote:
Originally Posted by Selesai View Post
I would think you would want to get milk on milkshare from a baby closest to Trixie in age, though.

What is this milkshare thing? I've got TONS of extra milk in the freezer that we're never going to use - I want to donate it before it goes bad, but the milk bank around here sells it for $2.50/oz, and I just want to give it away.

Anyone want any breastmilk? :-)
post #337 of 379
Thanks for the warm welcome everyone! And your babies are all so cute!

Jeremiah's a fist/finger sucker - he hasn't quite figured out the thumb yet, but he keeps gagging himself on his finger. Honestly, he's always sticking his hand in his mouth and choking on it! We were trying to ward off a thumb sucking habit by giving him the paci, but now he gets MAD with the pacifier and isn't happy until he knocks it out of his mouth and can chew/suck on his own hand.

And we rolled over for the first time this weekend!! He's been able to roll from one side to the other side for a while now (side-back-side), but only in bed when he's looking for the nipple (he's VERY motivated by food!), but he FINALLY started doing it during play time, too. And he actually went all the way onto his stomach the other day. I was SO excited (my husband not so much - I'm like, "do you realize what he just did?!" & dh gave me this look like I had lost my mind!).

His new toy is the johnny jumper - he's so confused, and won't put his weight on his feet, but he likes it when the dogs bump into it as they walk by and make it swing (gently) around. He's outgrown the bumbo seat completely (he won't even fit naked anymore!) but he's able to sit up by himself for about 10 - 15 seconds at a time (we put a stuffed animal in his lap so he can lean forward on it), and that's all he wants to do, all day!
post #338 of 379
JeremiahsMommy if you're serious.... I am looking into joining milkshare so I can get some bm for Trixie.
They charge so much to sell it because it's pasteurized.
post #339 of 379
Quote:
Originally Posted by birthmommom View Post
I also see that you live in Wake County, NC...where do you live?

I actually live in Vance County, about 45 minutes north of Raleigh. I work in N. Raleigh off of Falls of Neuse, though. And Wake Med was our back-up hospital choice if we'd needed a transfer for the homebirth. I'm amazed at how many AP families there are around the Raleigh/Wake Forest area!
post #340 of 379
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dea View Post
JeremiahsMommy if you're serious.... I am looking into joining milkshare so I can get some bm for Trixie.
They charge so much to sell it because it's pasteurized.
Is it a website or a group, or just a generic name for moms sharing milk?

And I am definitely serious - last time I counted the milk I had frozen, it came to about 170 oz. I'd love to send it along to a good home! :-)

You can e-mail me with more info if you want: shundorasha@earthlink.net
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Life With a Baby
Mothering › Mothering Forums › Baby › Life With a Baby › February 08 - Bring Out Your May Flowers!