or Connect
Mothering › Mothering Forums › Toddler › Life with a Toddler › ~*~*~* Nov 2006 Mamas - WELCOME to MAY - 1 1/2 years old!!! *~*~*~
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

~*~*~* Nov 2006 Mamas - WELCOME to MAY - 1 1/2 years old!!! *~*~*~ - Page 9

post #161 of 367
Quote:
Originally Posted by abadine View Post
Horchata is a mexican drink, its rice based. So I ground up rice, with a cinnamon stick & added water, vanilla and a bit of sugar. You drain off the rice after letting is soak a while & then you have a sweet rice milk, I put it in the freezer for a few hours to make it into a slushy because thats how I like it .

So its like rice milk with cinnamon & sweet. Both my girls are allergic to cows milk so its like them having a shake
OMG, that sounds delicious. I wish you were here to make it for me.
post #162 of 367
Horchata is SO good! They have it at Taco Cabana if there is one near you. We always get either that of cantaloupe juice. Yum-o
post #163 of 367
Thread Starter 
Our Chiropractor said our Ped's office (we go to the same one) recommends Horchata for kids. We buy it at the local Food City. I saw it at Fry's the other day, too. It's in the cold section near yogurt. Ask for it! DD#1 LOVES the strawberry - it's like a strawberry milkshake!
post #164 of 367
I'll have to check our local natural foods market. Yum!
post #165 of 367
Hi everyone, I haven't been in the toddler forum for awhile... mostly hanging out in the single parenting forum these days. I kind of skimmed most of the posts, 9 pages is a lot to catch up on! Anyway, Talia is adorable of course. She isn't saying much: mama, dada, nana (no), wee!, ba (not sure what this is, she uses it for most things), and even though we call bfing something else she started saying "nur nur me!" recently. She mostly points and shrieks though. Or she'll bring me her shoes if she wants to go outside, or bring me a cup if she's thirsty (she's a little camel! She drinks 4 times the amount that my 4.5 year old drinks!) She understands everything I say though, and it kind of seems like she's just refusing to talk... anyone else in the same boat? Those vocab lists are crazy! I can't remember how dd1 compared.... we are still nursing on demand here, and I am so jealous of those whose dcs aren't nursing much at night anymore! Talia wakes up all the time still... we are co-sleeping still also... she LOVES to be outside and she adores her big sister - they are so sweet together. Talia is definitely the little rough-and-tumble clown of the two, and we affectionately call her "feisty beasty" If we say "fiesty beasty fiesty beasty" she will get this little impish grin on her face and stomp her feet over and over. It is hilarious!!! She also loves baths and every time I try to do the dishes she freaks because she wants a bath in the sink. Today I said "no Talia, mama has to wash the dishes" and she ran into the bathroom, dragged the stepstool to the sink, and started pointing up at the sink and wailing. She got her bath. Heh.
post #166 of 367
ohhh I wish horchata was sold somewhere near me, the closest I've got is just rice milk LOL. Yesterday I cheated & just used the rice milk with cinnamon & sugar & crushed ice, not as nice as homemade but a decent drink for the girls

lol at fiesty beasty!! How cute

Today's work for Jovie was not she says "Sowee Jovie" awwwww. She said it over and over today. Tooooo gorgeous. She does heaps of pointing & shreaking, especially if she's seen a bag of lollies being put away from shopping. I have a feeling we won't be having lollies in the house anymore.
post #167 of 367
Quote:
Originally Posted by emilyrose View Post
Hi everyone, I haven't been in the toddler forum for awhile... mostly hanging out in the single parenting forum these days. I kind of skimmed most of the posts, 9 pages is a lot to catch up on! Anyway, Talia is adorable of course. She isn't saying much: mama, dada, nana (no), wee!, ba (not sure what this is, she uses it for most things), and even though we call bfing something else she started saying "nur nur me!" recently. She mostly points and shrieks though. Or she'll bring me her shoes if she wants to go outside, or bring me a cup if she's thirsty (she's a little camel! She drinks 4 times the amount that my 4.5 year old drinks!) She understands everything I say though, and it kind of seems like she's just refusing to talk... anyone else in the same boat? Those vocab lists are crazy! I can't remember how dd1 compared.... we are still nursing on demand here, and I am so jealous of those whose dcs aren't nursing much at night anymore! Talia wakes up all the time still... we are co-sleeping still also... she LOVES to be outside and she adores her big sister - they are so sweet together. Talia is definitely the little rough-and-tumble clown of the two, and we affectionately call her "feisty beasty" If we say "fiesty beasty fiesty beasty" she will get this little impish grin on her face and stomp her feet over and over. It is hilarious!!! She also loves baths and every time I try to do the dishes she freaks because she wants a bath in the sink. Today I said "no Talia, mama has to wash the dishes" and she ran into the bathroom, dragged the stepstool to the sink, and started pointing up at the sink and wailing. She got her bath. Heh.
Welcome back, emily rose. How has single parenting been going. DH has been gone for two weekend in a row now, and I have a new respect for single mamas. It's just constant interaction, no break, kwim? I love Atticus, but I like to have a small break once in a while. Like now, I'm trying to type this,and he's wondering around the computer room wailing and shreiking.
post #168 of 367
Thread Starter 
Happy Mother's Day !!!
post #169 of 367
Phew. We just got back from the ER. DH was trying to cut down some brush on our property that needed removing, and he ended up cutting his hand up with the bowsaw he was using. Blood everywhere!

Luckily, it was only part of it that required stitching, but I was so scared.

Then I said (jokingly, of course!), " I would have called someone if I knew you didn't want to do it THAT badly"

Hope everyone else's mother's days went smoother.
post #170 of 367
Hi there--I've never posted on these (November 06) threads, but I do indeed have a November 06 baby...you can add Lucy to the November 23 (a.k.a. Happy Thanksgiving!) list.
post #171 of 367
Wow, I'm off the radar for a day or two and there's about 5 more pages! I can't keep up with you all.

Emily Rose, it's good to hear about you and Talia.

Horchata - that's sounds good. You crush, then strain, raw rice?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPsSweetie View Post
I'm sick, can I whine here? I have mastitis I think. Again. I woke up at about 5am and just couldn't get comfortable, and by the time I got up to nurse Asheby I knew I was sick. I was soooo dizzy and pale. My temp was about 101 at that point. 2 hours later it was 102.6 and its pretty much hovered there all day. I hurt SO bad. I have never been this achy in my life, even my toes hurt. And not to mention my left milkie. Youch! I called my dr who doesn't work on Fridays but he never called me back. I don't know what to do!
That is HORRIBLE. I had mastitis with DS. It is painful like the devil. I hope you are doing OK now. Let us know.

This morning, Lea fell down our outside cement steps, landing with her forehead in a step edge and her legs over the side, and cut her head up. DH wouldn't let me look at her wound because he thought I would totally FREAK right there, but I looked and cleaned up the blood and really held my cool. She is OK, but we were really keeping watch on her all day. I'm actually grateful it wasn't closer to her eyes, nose, mouth... It's amazing how cautious I got afterwards. I wouldn't let her swing by herself, though she screamed about it, I insisted on holding her hand when she went down the slide.... We are enjoying fabulous weather here - shorts and t-shirts and sun. Hurray! And a little bragging about my 3.5 DS - with the warm weather, he is going out with just underwear and shirt. So he decided to use the little toilet this weekend, and has done pretty well! I never knew pouring poop from a bowl into the toilet would be so exciting!
post #172 of 367
Quote:
Originally Posted by angrypixiemama View Post
Phew. We just got back from the ER. DH was trying to cut down some brush on our property that needed removing, and he ended up cutting his hand up with the bowsaw he was using. Blood everywhere!

Luckily, it was only part of it that required stitching, but I was so scared.

Then I said (jokingly, of course!), " I would have called someone if I knew you didn't want to do it THAT badly"

Hope everyone else's mother's days went smoother.
Your poor DH!! See what they do to try to get out of yard work?!
Quote:
Originally Posted by redpajama View Post
Hi there--I've never posted on these (November 06) threads, but I do indeed have a November 06 baby...you can add Lucy to the November 23 (a.k.a. Happy Thanksgiving!) list.
Welcome, redpajama and Lucy!
Quote:
Originally Posted by AllisonR View Post
Wow, I'm off the radar for a day or two and there's about 5 more pages! I can't keep up with you all.

Emily Rose, it's good to hear about you and Talia.

Horchata - that's sounds good. You crush, then strain, raw rice?



That is HORRIBLE. I had mastitis with DS. It is painful like the devil. I hope you are doing OK now. Let us know.

This morning, Lea fell down our outside cement steps, landing with her forehead in a step edge and her legs over the side, and cut her head up. DH wouldn't let me look at her wound because he thought I would totally FREAK right there, but I looked and cleaned up the blood and really held my cool. She is OK, but we were really keeping watch on her all day. I'm actually grateful it wasn't closer to her eyes, nose, mouth... It's amazing how cautious I got afterwards. I wouldn't let her swing by herself, though she screamed about it, I insisted on holding her hand when she went down the slide.... We are enjoying fabulous weather here - shorts and t-shirts and sun. Hurray! And a little bragging about my 3.5 DS - with the warm weather, he is going out with just underwear and shirt. So he decided to use the little toilet this weekend, and has done pretty well! I never knew pouring poop from a bowl into the toilet would be so exciting!
omg, poor Lea. I can't imagine how scary that would've been for you guys.
post #173 of 367
Katie - single parenting is rough, but as time passes I am getting better at it. Job hunting is not going so well, so that is stressing me out, and I need to find housing also, so I think once I am out of this limbo phase that I will be able to settle into a new rhythm. But, I have told the girls (not that Talia gets it yet) that we can get kittens when we move! Talia LOVES animals of any kind and I can't wait to see how excited she'll be about kittens! I love cats, and stbx did not, so it is nice to think about having a couple of kitties to cuddle and play with.
post #174 of 367
just popping in real quick to say hi and i hope everyone had a beautiful mamas day!!!
post #175 of 367
Hello redpajama & Lucy, I'm only a very raw newbie here myself...

OMG Angriepixiemama... how scary. I would have had to carry my DH the whole way because he faints at the sight of his own blood : he does fine with my blood though.

AllisonR - I use a spice grinder/coffee grinder & grind 1 cup long grain rice with 1 cinnamon stick. Then add 3 cups water & 1cm of a vanilla bean. Then I put it in the fridge overnight, in the morning I blend it with 3 more cups water & use a strainer to take out all the rice grinds, I strain it twice because I hate chunks LOL. Then I chuck it in a plastic tupperware type thingo and put it in the freezer for an hour. I stir it all up & serve over crushed ice. Yum. Thats my horchata. The other day I didn't have time to let it sit overnight, so I added 100mls... or a small can of coconut milk. It was perfect, added the creaminess it would have missed out by not soaking.
post #176 of 367
Quote:
Originally Posted by AllisonR View Post

That is HORRIBLE. I had mastitis with DS. It is painful like the devil. I hope you are doing OK now. Let us know.

This morning, Lea fell down our outside cement steps, landing with her forehead in a step edge and her legs over the side, and cut her head up. DH wouldn't let me look at her wound because he thought I would totally FREAK right there, but I looked and cleaned up the blood and really held my cool. She is OK, but we were really keeping watch on her all day. I'm actually grateful it wasn't closer to her eyes, nose, mouth... It's amazing how cautious I got afterwards. I wouldn't let her swing by herself, though she screamed about it, I insisted on holding her hand when she went down the slide.... We are enjoying fabulous weather here - shorts and t-shirts and sun. Hurray! And a little bragging about my 3.5 DS - with the warm weather, he is going out with just underwear and shirt. So he decided to use the little toilet this weekend, and has done pretty well! I never knew pouring poop from a bowl into the toilet would be so exciting!
I am doing much better this morning. Unfortunately Asheby didn't nurse as much on my left side this morning so I am going to try again in a minute. I do not want it to clog back up. The pain is nowhere near as bad though, I just hope the fever is gone.



Yikes!! It is so scary when LOs hurt themselves! And yay for the poop!
post #177 of 367
Quote:
Originally Posted by angrypixiemama View Post
...

Then I said (jokingly, of course!), " I would have called someone if I knew you didn't want to do it THAT badly"
lol. I'm glad he's o.k. and this sounds exactly like something I've said in the past. A few years ago, we were going to have Thanksgiving for the first time at our house. I told DP he was on dish-duty since I was doing all the cooking. The day before thanksgiving, he sliced his fingers into the bone at work. I told him that there were less costly and less painful methods for avoiding the dishes :

allisonR - glad DD didn't get hurt too badly. It usually does look worse that it really is.

mpssweeite - hope you leftie is doing better this afternoon :

welcome to all the new mammas and babies!


My mothers day was kind of crappy. DP and I spent the whole afternoon arguing about stupid stuff. We both woke up in kind of a mood - is it a full moon or something? then I get a call that my previous employer died in a car accident leaving behind 4 young children. Very upsetting and tragic for the whole community.

But today has been a bit better. DD got her first haircut this morning. MIL works in a salon so we went there to get it done. It looks pretty cute and they only cut the hair that was falling in her eyes. I'll have to post pictures soon.

We also went to her 18 months well-visit at the new doctors. I am very impressed with clinic, staff, and the doctor. I didn't know how she felt about vax and was preparing to get the full "well..blah blah blah vax is a must..blah, etc" She was very interested to hear why we didn't vax DD and then said that while she thinks they are important, she respects the parents decision to do it or not. And then moved on. WHEW!!! yay! Then she proceeded to do a bunch of developmental tests and autism screening tests - things they never did at the old clinic. I am so happy we found a great doctor!!!
post #178 of 367
hey all...

I'll post more when I get home...but just wanted to say hello...and I'm enjoying reading about all the other mommas and babes....

Porter is becoming an amazing little person who is constantly testing his boundries...he's always quick to greet me in the morning with the most amazing smile...we're still breastfeeding A LOT....I'm curious as to what's going to happen since...I'm pregnant with numero dos....think I'm due in January sometime....
post #179 of 367
hi everyone! I am glad everyone's little ones are doing well, even after the scary falls and bumps.

I also called Poison Control yesterday....DD decided to eat some DEODORANT! My mouth twitches just thinking about it!

I am going to try that recipe - it sounds so good.

Congratulations for pooping on the potty. It is such a big deal for them when they manage that.

Have a great night!
post #180 of 367
Quote:
Originally Posted by MidnightCommando View Post
lol. I'm glad he's o.k. and this sounds exactly like something I've said in the past. A few years ago, we were going to have Thanksgiving for the first time at our house. I told DP he was on dish-duty since I was doing all the cooking. The day before thanksgiving, he sliced his fingers into the bone at work. I told him that there were less costly and less painful methods for avoiding the dishes :

allisonR - glad DD didn't get hurt too badly. It usually does look worse that it really is.

mpssweeite - hope you leftie is doing better this afternoon :

welcome to all the new mammas and babies!


My mothers day was kind of crappy. DP and I spent the whole afternoon arguing about stupid stuff. We both woke up in kind of a mood - is it a full moon or something? then I get a call that my previous employer died in a car accident leaving behind 4 young children. Very upsetting and tragic for the whole community.

But today has been a bit better. DD got her first haircut this morning. MIL works in a salon so we went there to get it done. It looks pretty cute and they only cut the hair that was falling in her eyes. I'll have to post pictures soon.

We also went to her 18 months well-visit at the new doctors. I am very impressed with clinic, staff, and the doctor. I didn't know how she felt about vax and was preparing to get the full "well..blah blah blah vax is a must..blah, etc" She was very interested to hear why we didn't vax DD and then said that while she thinks they are important, she respects the parents decision to do it or not. And then moved on. WHEW!!! yay! Then she proceeded to do a bunch of developmental tests and autism screening tests - things they never did at the old clinic. I am so happy we found a great doctor!!!
That dr sounds super cool. I can't find a dr in the area who will take us. It's a big pain.
Quote:
Originally Posted by scarlettrose View Post
hey all...

I'll post more when I get home...but just wanted to say hello...and I'm enjoying reading about all the other mommas and babes....

Porter is becoming an amazing little person who is constantly testing his boundries...he's always quick to greet me in the morning with the most amazing smile...we're still breastfeeding A LOT....I'm curious as to what's going to happen since...I'm pregnant with numero dos....think I'm due in January sometime....
Congrats on the pregnancy! I'm hoping to be in that boat, too, soon.
Quote:
Originally Posted by angrypixiemama View Post
hi everyone! I am glad everyone's little ones are doing well, even after the scary falls and bumps.

I also called Poison Control yesterday....DD decided to eat some DEODORANT! My mouth twitches just thinking about it!

I am going to try that recipe - it sounds so good.

Congratulations for pooping on the potty. It is such a big deal for them when they manage that.

Have a great night!
Deoderant??? EWWWWW!!! They choose the grossest things to eat. The other day, Atticus almost ate an earthworm. I got there just in time. Grosssssss!!!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Life with a Toddler
Mothering › Mothering Forums › Toddler › Life with a Toddler › ~*~*~* Nov 2006 Mamas - WELCOME to MAY - 1 1/2 years old!!! *~*~*~