or Connect
Mothering › Mothering Forums › Natural Living › Family Safety › When did you move your child from a 5 pt restraint to a booster?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

When did you move your child from a 5 pt restraint to a booster? - Page 2

post #21 of 64
My DD is 4 and 38lbs and harnessed in a Regent, an Apex and a Cargo in various cars. When she hits 40lbs and is out of the Cargo by weight, she will be in a high back booster in that car, mainly due to my IL's inability to deal with the 5 point harness. They have struggled with it for 4 years and given FIL's wrist and shoulder injury, I am going to relent in their car once DD weighs 40lbs. It's not an issue yet, but once DD starts riding in other people's cars (other than Grandparents and Daddy that is) I will let her go in a high back booster. In my car and Grandma's (her primary vehicles), she will remain in a harness to the max height or weight of her seats.
post #22 of 64
Keep in mind seats are outgrown by height before weight the vast majority of the time. Everyone keeps saying 65 pounds, 80 pounds etc but really ery few children will make it that long.
post #23 of 64
My oldest child is 5 yrs 8 months old, 43 lbs - still in a 5-pt harness (Radian premier), and will be until he's either too tall or too heavy for it.
post #24 of 64
As I explained to my future in-laws recently- ds will be in a harnessed seat for as long as he can fit in one that I can reasonably afford. No, he will not automatically be moved to a booster once he hits 40 pounds (37 lbs at 4 1/2 years right now). He's in a Regent in my car and a Marathon in future MIL's car. If he needs to ride in a different car, we move one of those seats. When he outgrows the Marathon (by height, not too much longer) we'll get another harnessed seat. We're looking at the Nautilus. It looks like he'll have a few more years of height before he outgrows the harness part.
post #25 of 64
We moved DS right around his 4th birthday, because he had reached the top slots on his Apex (yes, the ones behind the headrest ). He's now 4.5, 50 lbs and ~4 ft tall. I guess it wasn't really "moving," we just took out the harness and started using it as a booster.
post #26 of 64
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by an_aurora View Post
Keep in mind seats are outgrown by height before weight the vast majority of the time. Everyone keeps saying 65 pounds, 80 pounds etc but really ery few children will make it that long.

The one I was looking at supposedly goes up to 5'2".
post #27 of 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maeve View Post
The one I was looking at supposedly goes up to 5'2".
There is no harnessed seat anywhere in any country that goes to 5'2".
post #28 of 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThreeBeans View Post
There is no harnessed seat anywhere in any country that goes to 5'2".
Merritt Roosevelt, a special-needs seat with a list price of ~$1000, has a stated height limit of 62" and top strap slots of (I think) 22".
post #29 of 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by chickabiddy View Post
Merritt Roosevelt, a special-needs seat with a list price of ~$1000, has a stated height limit of 62" and top strap slots of (I think) 22".
Yes, but they can state height limits all day long, but it means nothing if your child outgrows the seat before then in torso.
post #30 of 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThreeBeans View Post
There is no harnessed seat anywhere in any country that goes to 5'2".
Quote:
Originally Posted by thepeach80 View Post
Yes, but they can state height limits all day long, but it means nothing if your child outgrows the seat before then in torso.
: to both
post #31 of 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by chickabiddy View Post
Merritt Roosevelt, a special-needs seat with a list price of ~$1000, has a stated height limit of 62" and top strap slots of (I think) 22".
They can say it will go to 5' 2", or six feet, or twelve feet, but the fact of the matter is that a seat with a top harness position of 22" is not going to fit a 5'2" child.
post #32 of 64
I know.

I was mostly just guessing at what the OP had in mind.
post #33 of 64
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThreeBeans View Post
There is no harnessed seat anywhere in any country that goes to 5'2".

I'm sorry, I misread. It's 53 in. No need to get snippy.
post #34 of 64
No need to assume snippiness when none was given or intended
post #35 of 64
My dd will be 6 next month, and is in a Recaro Como, which goes up to 58" in height. She's ~43lbs, so obviously she'll outgrow the height before the weight.

My 3yr old (34lbs 40") is in a Marathon.
post #36 of 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by ctdoula View Post
My dd will be 6 next month, and is in a Recaro Como, which goes up to 58" in height. She's ~43lbs, so obviously she'll outgrow the height before the weight.

My 3yr old (34lbs 40") is in a Marathon.
That seat has 19" strap height. She'll probably get to between 48-50" when she outgrows it.
post #37 of 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThreeBeans View Post
That seat has 19" strap height. She'll probably get to between 48-50" when she outgrows it.
So why does the tag say 58"?
post #38 of 64
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThreeBeans View Post
No need to assume snippiness when none was given or intended
I'm sorry. Sleep deprivation and a week of stress getting to me.
post #39 of 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by ctdoula View Post
So why does the tag say 58"?
Because they are required by law to give a height limit. They put the height limit way outside the bounds of any child who would actually fit in that seat to make sure that kids who fit easily by torso aren't technically 'not allowed' in the seat by height limit.

Height is a variable. SOme kids grow in the torso, some kids grow in the legs. You have two kids the exact same height, one could fit perfectly in theseat and the other be too tall for it, because the second child has a long torso.
post #40 of 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maeve View Post
I'm sorry. Sleep deprivation and a week of stress getting to me.
n/p
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Family Safety
Mothering › Mothering Forums › Natural Living › Family Safety › When did you move your child from a 5 pt restraint to a booster?