or Connect
Mothering › Mothering Forums › Toddler › Life with a Toddler › Looking for books with many races...
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Looking for books with many races...

post #1 of 35
Thread Starter 
I am on a quest to find good children's books that depict children of different races (without a discussion on race or "differentness"). Any suggestions? Any favorites? Please share. Thank you.
post #2 of 35
We have:

All the Colors of the Earth

and

Hello World!

both of which I recommend for their artwork. _All the Colors of the Earth_ does have a diversity message, but it is well handled with non-editorial description and not overt 'differentness' IMO. Hello World is purely artwork and 'Hello' in 42 different languages.
post #3 of 35
Several wonderful picture books that happen to have diverse illustrations:

The Paper Princess and The Paper Princess Finds Her Way, Elisa Kleven -- the highly detailed collage illustrations show cities full of kids and families of all description behind the princess' adventures. They're gorgeous.
Corduroy and A Pocket for Corduroy, Don Freeman
More, More, More Said the Baby (can't recommend this one highly enough for toddlers), Vera B. Williams
Anything by Jack Ezra Keats

For slightly older kids, the Horrible Harry series has a classroom full of ethnically diverse kids, and so do the Grace books by Mary Hoffman -- some of hers are easy chapter, and others are picture books. Even the kids in Junie B. Jones are diverse!
post #4 of 35
You might want to edit your title to say "Many" instead of May because I thought you were looking for some kind of spring activity book.

Anyway. This book depicts children of various races. We have the square version but the text and pictures are the same:

http://www.amazon.com/I-Love-You-Sun...9765260&sr=1-1
post #5 of 35
Oh that's a nice one! I love Tomie DePaola.

The last page of Brown Bear, Brown Bear shows a group of diverse children.
post #6 of 35
Everywhere Babies also has illustrations to represent ethnic diversity and also family diversity, without discussion or comment.
post #7 of 35
I like People by Peter Spier
post #8 of 35
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by nighten View Post
You might want to edit your title to say "Many" instead of May because I thought you were looking for some kind of spring activity book.

Anyway. This book depicts children of various races. We have the square version but the text and pictures are the same:

http://www.amazon.com/I-Love-You-Sun...9765260&sr=1-1
"I Love You Sun" is exactly the type of book I want!

Thalia, thank you also for your great suggestions (I am previewing those books on Amazon.)
post #9 of 35
We love the "Everywhere Babies" and "More more more, said the baby" as well.

If you're looking for a variety of ethnicities across your library (as opposed to in the same book), we LOVE the Taro Gomi books, "My Friends" and "Bus Stops." Likewise "Busy Fingers" and "Busy Toes."
post #10 of 35
Helen Oxenbury books. We have "Clap Hands" and "Tickle Tickle".

These are for young kids but ds (2.5) still loves them.
post #11 of 35
I love "A Ride on Mother's Back" by Emery Bernhard and Durga Bernhard. It goes through all different countries/races and shows how they like to carry their babies! It shows different slings and wraps and teaches the kids about the different cultures because the parents are always doing something cultural while baby is riding (like walking to market, grinding up grains, walking through the jungle, etc). It's pretty cool and the pictures are SO beautiful.
post #12 of 35
the "how do dinosaurs" series has people of different races plus they are fun to read and have the names of the dinosaurs hidden in the pictures
post #13 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by delfuego View Post
Helen Oxenbury books. We have "Clap Hands" and "Tickle Tickle".

These are for young kids but ds (2.5) still loves them.
I second that! We've also got "Say Goodnight" and "ALl Fall Down." Those babies are lovely!

Not sure how old you're looking for, but another favourite is Karent Katz' flap book, "Where Is Baby's Belly Button?"
post #14 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by easy_goer View Post
Everywhere Babies also has illustrations to represent ethnic diversity and also family diversity, without discussion or comment.
This is the one I was going to suggest. We love it! I especially love that they have babies in cloth diapers, babywearing, and best of all, the only babies being fed bottles are being fed them by daddy or gramma or grampa, not momma, she's feeding by the breast.
post #15 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by crittersmum View Post
Not sure how old you're looking for, but another favourite is Karent Katz' flap book, "Where Is Baby's Belly Button?"
Just thought of that one too! DS has destroyed 2 copies he loves it so much! They have a whole series...
post #16 of 35
"Everywhere Babies" has always been and still is our favorite!
post #17 of 35
book by Todd Parr, all have different people, different families, different everything.
post #18 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ligeia View Post
I love "A Ride on Mother's Back" by Emery Bernhard and Durga Bernhard. It goes through all different countries/races and shows how they like to carry their babies! It shows different slings and wraps and teaches the kids about the different cultures because the parents are always doing something cultural while baby is riding (like walking to market, grinding up grains, walking through the jungle, etc). It's pretty cool and the pictures are SO beautiful.
I was going to recommend this one, its wonderful!!
post #19 of 35
Global Babies is a great little board book with pictures of babies from all over.
post #20 of 35
We recommend Abiyoyo and and Abiyoyo returns by Pete Seeger.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Life with a Toddler
Mothering › Mothering Forums › Toddler › Life with a Toddler › Looking for books with many races...