or Connect
Mothering › Mothering Forums › Pregnancy and Birth › I'm Pregnant › Is there a pregnant over 40 thread?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Is there a pregnant over 40 thread? - Page 2

post #21 of 328
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBaxter View Post
What # is this for everyone. This is my 4th baby but 6th pregnancy.
I have three kids now. My DS is 16 y/o, my DD1 is about 3 1/2 y/o now and my newest child is 5 weeks old.

It took me 5 years to conceive my DS, about 3 years of active trying to conceive my DD1 and our DD2 surprised us! I tend to have a long periods of amenorrhea while breastfeeding (2+ years in both cases) and had had my periods back for only eight months when I realized I was pregnant with my DD2.
post #22 of 328
Just joining this forum today. I turned 41 yesterday and I am 10 1/2 weeks pregnant. This will be my first. So far my only real symptoms are that my pants are a bit tighter, a little breast tenderness, and a little more tired some days. Have been very lucky to have had no nausea at all. All seems a little unreal still. Have my first ultrasound on May 22nd, I imagine that will make it seem more real.
post #23 of 328
Quote:
Originally Posted by halifax40 View Post
Just joining this forum today. I turned 41 yesterday and I am 10 1/2 weeks pregnant. This will be my first. So far my only real symptoms are that my pants are a bit tighter, a little breast tenderness, and a little more tired some days. Have been very lucky to have had no nausea at all. All seems a little unreal still. Have my first ultrasound on May 22nd, I imagine that will make it seem more real.
Congrats and dont thing your alone in feeling unreal. This is my6th pregnancy ( 4th baby I have carried this far) and it took me 5 pregnancy tests 2 hcg and an u/s to even start to feel its real I have had 3 more u/s ( including a nuchal scan) to think WOW Im having another baby LOL.
PS :
post #24 of 328
Quote:
Originally Posted by halifax40 View Post
Just joining this forum today. I turned 41 yesterday and I am 10 1/2 weeks pregnant. This will be my first. So far my only real symptoms are that my pants are a bit tighter, a little breast tenderness, and a little more tired some days. Have been very lucky to have had no nausea at all. All seems a little unreal still. Have my first ultrasound on May 22nd, I imagine that will make it seem more real.
It keeps getting more and more real as time goes on for me. First it was hearing the heartbeat, then it was the ultrasound when I saw the little fingers, then it was all the wiggly movement... At 34 weeks, it's still "getting more real" all the time. The latest is buying a car seat, taking a tour of the maternity ward, and so on.
post #25 of 328
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBaxter View Post
Congrats and dont thing your alone in feeling unreal. This is my6th pregnancy ( 4th baby I have carried this far) and it took me 5 pregnancy tests 2 hcg and an u/s to even start to feel its real I have had 3 more u/s ( including a nuchal scan) to think WOW Im having another baby LOL.
PS :
Thanks so much for the welcoming post and the birthday wish. I am sure it will start to feel more real for me soon, I think the lack of symptoms has just made it harder for me to really believe it...not complaining though, I am so glad to have not had the nausea and such that many people get. My doctor tried to hear the heartbeat with a doppler yesterday, but she said it was hiding (and to my mind she didn't try all that long), would have been nice to have that much confirmation that things are progressing well. Congratulations to you too!
post #26 of 328

this is exactly what i was looking for!

just had my 40th bday in feb, got pg the next month; due 12-2-08. this is my 7th pregnancy but will be my third child if all goes well, i have had 3 early miscarriages and last year lost my son at 20 wks of pregnancy for unknown reasons. so needless to say i will be holding my breath until after 20 wks. my dd is almost 5 and my ds is 3.
i definitely feel much more tired but i am also hypothyroid and have 2 little ones to chase around all day.
anyway i don't know anyone irl my age who is expecting and likewise in the ddc there are very few my age so thanks for starting this thread!
i got my first mammogram the week before i got pg- a weird juxtaposition.
post #27 of 328
Quote:
Originally Posted by irony_optional View Post
It keeps getting more and more real as time goes on for me. First it was hearing the heartbeat, then it was the ultrasound when I saw the little fingers, then it was all the wiggly movement... At 34 weeks, it's still "getting more real" all the time. The latest is buying a car seat, taking a tour of the maternity ward, and so on.
Wow, given your due date it soon will be very real for you! Thanks for your post, been reading a lot online but this is my first time posting, I appreciate the welcoming reply
post #28 of 328
JBaxter, what a sweet story about Nathan. Congratulations!

I am 44 with a 3-year-old dd, born when I was 41. I lost three babies after her; my son, Daniel, at almost 15 weeks, one at 7 weeks, and the last one (in August 2007) was ectopic (ruptured at 5 1/2 weeks). So this is my fifth pregnancy; one living child so far.

Needless to say, I'm a wee bit nervous! I just got my BFP this morning and was on the phone to the perinatologist first thing. I haven't even told dh yet -- I'm thinking about doing it on Mother's Day. After so many losses, I'm even a bit anxious about telling him!

The funny thing is, I did IVF in my 30s, and still have three frozen embryos. (Although all my conceptions have been since then, and all naturally conceived--go figure.) After my ectopic, I decided it might be a good thing to thaw the embies out inside me. So I planned a natural FET. I flew to San Diego a couple of weeks ago, where my embies live, right at ovulation, only to have my cycle canceled because my "lining was too thin and my estrogen too low." So :nana: to them; I got pregnant anyway, the old fashioned way! (We DTD right before I left town.)
post #29 of 328
Another over 40 mama here! I'm 30w and expecting #3 in July. We have a 16yo DS and a 4yo DD. I'll be 42 by the time the baby gets here and dh is 47. This was a total shock to us and took us several months to feel even remotely excited.

I'm actually in better shape than with the last two pregnancies which both were without any complications. Have been having a little sciatic pain lately but I get that sometimes even when I'm not pregnant, LOL!
post #30 of 328
DH was watching the Today show last week and they did a segment on Chinese medicine / organic eating and fertility. He mentioned that it has been over a year since we started our 4 yr old on the Feingold diet/organic diet due to food dye issues. We stopped trying a year and half ago he was wondering if our better diet helped our "unexpected" fertility.
post #31 of 328
Thread Starter 
Wow, welcome to all the new thread members...I lost this thread for a few days and couldn't find it again for some reason. I'm glad I turned it up.

So what have you guys decided about testing? Its so hard to refuse tests when you are over 35 I can imagine that over 40 its even more pressure.

We will be having a Nuchal Fold translucency scan, because I need to have a cerclage, and they won't do one without that, but last night I talked to my friend and she was so surprised to hear us say that we aren't expecting to do any other testing. Of course I don't know what we'll decide if the Nuchal shows problems but for now I don't plan to do any additional.

I'm subscribing this time so I don't lose you guys!
post #32 of 328
We tried to do CVS, since it can be done much earlier than amnio, but the doctor couldn't get a sample, and we did amnio anyway. Given that I'm 43, we really wanted to know what we were facing; at my age, there is a chance not just of Down syndrome, but some of the really ugly trisomies that are either fatal in the womb or shortly after birth. I did not want to face that unprepared!

Other than that, we've had a few extra ultrasounds to measure her growth, but no big deal.
post #33 of 328
Quote:
Originally Posted by avivaelona View Post
Wow, welcome to all the new thread members...I lost this thread for a few days and couldn't find it again for some reason. I'm glad I turned it up.

So what have you guys decided about testing? Its so hard to refuse tests when you are over 35 I can imagine that over 40 its even more pressure.

We will be having a Nuchal Fold translucency scan, because I need to have a cerclage, and they won't do one without that, but last night I talked to my friend and she was so surprised to hear us say that we aren't expecting to do any other testing. Of course I don't know what we'll decide if the Nuchal shows problems but for now I don't plan to do any additional.

I'm subscribing this time so I don't lose you guys!
I had the nuchal scan but thats it. All other tests hold to big of risk of miscarriages for me. Since my nuchal scan was great .9-1.8 the risk of problems are so low I am not even doing the quad screen. The nuchal scan may take an hour so be prepared. it was so fun to see the little bean ( at 11 weeks) swimming around. Im funny but if I would miscarry after an invasive test I would never forgive myself for allowing it.
post #34 of 328
Thread Starter 
Yeah that's sort of how I feel Jeana, though the fear of the trisomies does scare me. We had a nuchal scan with DS so I'm familiar with it.

I'm having some mucusy discharge though that is a little brown, so we'll see if I even get there...a little nervous but still hopeful that everything is ok.
post #35 of 328
I had an episode of red/brown dischard about 14ish weeks with Nathan. I when in for a check and my ob said it was my cervix not the baby it never happened again.

Hoping every thing is good.
post #36 of 328
Thread Starter 
Still hanging in there I think, no more mucus like that. I have a midwife appointment next week and I'll discuss my concerns with her.

How's everyone doing?
post #37 of 328
Hi eveyone. I am 39, will be 40 in July, due January 19th with this babe.
post #38 of 328
Quote:
Originally Posted by avivaelona View Post
Still hanging in there I think, no more mucus like that. I have a midwife appointment next week and I'll discuss my concerns with her.

How's everyone doing?
Glad to hear you haven't had any more problems.

I'm doing ok, starting week 36. Home stretch!

What do you all do for swollen feet? I've tried putting them up, exercising, making sure I eat a banana for potassium every day, and things like that, but they're still pretty fat. I can live with it, but if I can get them to shrink a bit, it would be nice...
post #39 of 328
Hi! Just found this thread.
I'm 43, expecting a girl about the end of July.
This is my first this way. We have an adopted son and a daughter from my husband's previous marriage. My husband and I had been married 8 years when I became pregnant :, but I miscarried and then became pregnant with this little one. I'm at 30 weeks.
It's been a great pregnancy so far, apart from the usual discomforts. We did do a CVS because I wanted to know what was up (the odds are SO bad at my age) and I didn't trust the other tests they do -- too many false positives. I also didn't want to wait to amnio.
post #40 of 328
Thread Starter 
Welcome doulamomvickie and materfamilias. I'm glad so many of us have been having good pregnancies.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: I'm Pregnant
Mothering › Mothering Forums › Pregnancy and Birth › I'm Pregnant › Is there a pregnant over 40 thread?