Originally Posted by AllyRae
It makes me the parent of an autistic child with sensory processing disorder (and you guessed it...he's StephandOwen's nephew.
Yup, the two crazy cousins
And just to point out, in case you think my ds was raised on formula and went straight to cheeto's.... he was breastfed for 3 1/2 years until he self weaned. When he started eating food I made 95% of what he ate (the other 5% were times we were out of the house so I grabbed a jar of food.... he ate less than 10 jars in his life and most of those were the organic kinds). He ate a wide variety of foods between 6 months and 18 months, including all sorts of fruits and veggies, berries (which were grown in our backyard so we had TONS of raspberries, black raspberries and blackberries. That was actually his breakfast for his 1st birthday), fish, ground meat (in spaghetti sauce and in chili), gezpacho, rice, pastas, etc. 99% of what he ate was healthy (if for no other reason than he HATED sweet things- no cake, cookies, brownies, ice cream, etc for him!).
And then it all went downhill. At his worst he was down to bananas, cheez-it crackers, water, breastmilk, apples (sometimes, not always), watermelon, french fries, and donuts (only certain ones, couldn't have sprinkles or anything like that on them). He was showing many many signs of autism and SPD, only part of which was food related (though food was, and still is, a major issue).
At 4 years old he had a nutrition evaluation. He was getting HALF the calories he needed (and that was with donuts and fries in his diet!!). This was not an issue of being a picky eater. This was an issue of a disorder severely affecting him. Fortunately we got him into feeding therapy and he's doing well, but still has a LOT of work to do. He still eats no meat, beans, rice, pasta (except Kraft mac n cheese and spaghetti, bow-ties with homemade smooth sauce only), berries (except the random bite from a strawberry), veggies (except raw carrots), tofu, dips (except ketchup on fries), mixed foods at all (once he graduates from his single food therapy he'll move on to mixed foods.... it'll be a looooong process- we're looking at years of feeding therapy).