Wow, this is a HEAVY subject. So sorry you had to go through this... don't know how it'd feel, but I am right now going through being counselled on "the option" to terminate. We have a baby with Hydrocephalus, ACC (Agenesis of the Corpus Callosum), and a Choroid Plexus Cyst. These conditions *may* be caused by Trisomy 18, T13 or T8. One or two of those are fatal genetic disorders. If the baby has a fatal genetic disorder, we will terminate. I'm 25 weeks pregnant now & am 1 week passed our state's termination limitation, so we'll have to travel. This is a VERY horrible decision to have to make... our pregnancy is VERY much wanted & uneventful otherwise, we're very excited to have a new baby, but just don't think we could deal with a baby that *may* live up to a year or a pregnancy that'll fail close to term. We've had a Fetal MRI to "confirm diagnosis" and next week, we're having an amnio to check for the genetic defects. We would've had the amnio earlier, but my bloodwork came back farely low risk for genetic defects--doesn't mean we aren't that 1:6,000 that could have it.
I have to say that site that someone above mentioned for life after an abortion, is quite nice. I think it'll be very helpful for me in making a decision to terminate. Everyone physically in our life is being VERY supportive of termination. However, some of my Internet friends are NOT supporting termination whether for religious reasons or just positive outlook--that it *may* not be that
bad--could be they're just not informed enough on the highly likelihood of what it'll be. We have TWO small ones, so to take care of a seizuring & severely disabled child will not only be VERY financially devastating, but also emotionally & physically exhausting. Not entirely impossible, but what quality of life would this child or our other children have?? I feel like, who am I to judge? But also, I have this knowledge (the u/s, the MRI, the amnio), I should use it. DH thinks it's "a sign" that we found the CP Cyst on the first u/s which led to the follow-up u/s that found the Hydrocephalus & ACC and we were meant to have this knowledge. This is just my thought process that I have to share... hope nobody judges me negatively. If they do, I'm prepared to take it. I will not hide b/c if I were that ashamed of my decision, I just would not terminate. For what it's worth, I don't really feel with 100% certainty that it's the best decision right now, but after the Genetic Counseling & amnio, I have a feeling, I'll be with 100% certainty. I'll probably know by Friday, May 26th with 100% certainty it's the right decision.
I hope this info will help the OP & maybe some other user too shy to speak up who is maybe going through a similiar situation.
My baby passed sometime after my amnio and my amnio came back with bad results. It is such a relief & a blessing, she is our angel in heaven now. Although, very devastating, we know she's in a better place. God bless you, OP & please try (I know it's hard) to find peace with your decision. You have a beautiful angel baby to look down on you now & you made the best decision in the situation. ;o)