or Connect
Mothering › Mothering Forums › Mom › Parenting › What name do you use for your daughters private parts?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

What name do you use for your daughters private parts? - Page 2

post #21 of 184
Quote:
Originally Posted by amitymama View Post
I absolutely loathe the word yoni, it just sounds horrid to me. Sorry! I mean, wtf is a YONI? Why do we need pretend words to hide our embarrassment over our vaginas?

Well I don't use it but it's not a pretend word

The word yoni (Sanskrit योिन yoni) is the Sanskrit word for "divine passage", "place of birth", "womb" (more as nature as a womb and cradle of all creations) or "sacred temple"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yoni
post #22 of 184
We say vulva.
post #23 of 184
Ok, I have to post on this one because although I don't have a girl (yet!), my neighbor is seriously weirded out by proper terms and has funny made up ones for her daughter. She calls breasts chi-chis and her vulva her wookie. I swear I'm gonna get that kid a custom Star Wars t-shirt with a picture of Chewbacca on it that says something like "Keep your hands off my Wookie!"
post #24 of 184
We lived in a Women's Medical Institute. I led childbirth classes & Stepdaddy is an OBGYN. Kiddo learned more than most grown women on the Reservation knew by the time she entered PreK She knows the difference between vulva, vagina, labia, clitoris, etc. as well penis & testicles. Anus, too, although she's still confused about Uranus We also use Yoni (we liked drawing Yoni flowers during homeschool However, she has also picked up on a never-ending list of nonsense words that family members & friends use. We're versatile. Hey, this way, if something ever happens & I'm not there, she'll know whatever private part language the other adult speaks so she can get the help she needs
post #25 of 184
Quote:
Originally Posted by kamilla626 View Post
IMO there is no good reason to use euphemisms for body parts. Sexual offenders are often warded off by children who call their parts by their proper names, because it suggests that the child is also has no shame associated with those parts, and is probably able to clearly communicate to someone else that something happened to him.

Not all adults will understand a child if she says, "My yoni hurts", or "Someone poked me on my front parts", and sexual predators know this.
:

I took a course once and predators have gotten away with stuff because parents and other adults had no idea that when a little girl said a guy touched her "euphemism" nobody realized that she had been sexually assaulted. (I don't remember what the word was but it was not a word that the average person would equate with vagina.) If you want a non-offesnive word, go with something like bottom or private parts so that everyone knows what you are talking about. I don't care if people know we are talking about our "private parts". If some jerk touches my daughters, I want them to be able to go to the nearest adult and be understood. Safety trumps other peoples sense of propriety.
post #26 of 184
We use vagina, penis, balls (my son is 10) and hiney. Or butt cheeks, or chicken cheeks for the girls and turkey cheeks for ds when we are goofing off.
post #27 of 184
We use accurate names. Vulva, vagina, labia, etc. I can't imagine having to speak to a medical care provider if all I was comfortable with was silly names. The more you say words like vulva the easier it gets. At first I found it really difficult. Now I can sprinkle it into everyday conversation with ease.
post #28 of 184
I use proper names instead of slang.

I want my dd to know accurately what her body parts are because I didn't grow up knowing that at all. It is highly embarrassing to try to figure out what a vulva or labia are as an older teen/adult.
In 8 years I've never had to talk to my dd about her vulva or anus in front of other people socially. I can't imagine people being more embarrassed by those terms than some of the odd slang terms other people use. These are normal correct words. There should be no more shame in using them than saying elbow or leg.
post #29 of 184
Vulva

Penis/scrotum/testicles
post #30 of 184
Quote:
Originally Posted by philomom View Post
We always used vulva because it is the outside part that you might see changing clothes.

Your vagina is hidden from view always..... only your lover or midwife would ever see it.
I didn't know this until a couple of years ago. I started saying vagina (like pp's i thought vagina was all encompassing), learned I should have called it vulva and have corrected the term.

My almost 5 y/o DD prefers to call it vagina. If you try to correct her she gets this very 'duh' tone of voice and says, "I KNOW it's the bulba and the vagina is the HOLE but I like to call it vagina!"

She also knows what//where her labia and clitoris are.

DS is 6.5 and he calls his parts penis and ballts. He knows it's scrotum and testes and misheard balls as ballts and prefers ballts.
post #31 of 184
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vancouver Mommy View Post
Now I can sprinkle it into everyday conversation with ease.
I'm not sure why but this really made me laugh... lol... like how many times can you just find a place to interject vulva into the conversation

We use vulva and bum.. she says 'vuva' and 'bumbum'... although to her they are interchangeable and sometimes it's her leg or belly that she points to

if Dh and i are referring to her (like about a rash or something) we say her 'parts'.
post #32 of 184
post #33 of 184
Quote:
Originally Posted by tsume View Post
My almost 5 y/o DD prefers to call it vagina. If you try to correct her she gets this very 'duh' tone of voice and says, "I KNOW it's the bulba and the vagina is the HOLE but I like to call it vagina!"
I can so picture dd saying this. I haven't really showed her where her clitoris is, because there's no reason for me to be touching it, and I can't figure out how to show her which part I'm talking about. She has heard the word, though. I think I was 13-14 before I knew what a clitoris was called, and my mom wasn't particularly shy about this stuff...she just did the thing where "vagina" was all she used.
post #34 of 184
I'm another who only recently learned that there were actually separate names for different sub-parts My mom used vagina an an all-encompasing name... and she was not shy - a LLL leader, early 70's earth-mother, labor and delivery nurse, etc!

I have a son, so the only part we've really named for him is penis. He has noticed that I don't have one, and I finally managed to tell him that women and girls have a vagina... So, now he says "C has penis, Joshua has penis, Sierra has 'gina, Mommy has 'gina"
post #35 of 184
Quote:
Originally Posted by PoppyMama View Post
Ahhh, so so good.
post #36 of 184
My daughter knows she has a vulva, and that's what she calls it. I don't like cutesy names for things so the proper names are what we use.
post #37 of 184
Quote:
Originally Posted by amitymama View Post
I absolutely loathe the word yoni, it just sounds horrid to me. Sorry! I mean, wtf is a YONI? Why do we need pretend words to hide our embarrassment over our vaginas?

I call DD's privates her 'bits' or 'vulva/vagina' and those are the only words I feel comfortable using. Yoni, va-jay-jay, fanny, etc... all just give me the creeps. *shudder*
Excuse me?????

Are you for real????

Yoni is a beautiful word.

Quote:
a stylized representation of the female genitalia that in Hinduism is a sign of generative power and that symbolizes the goddess Shakti
How is that "horrid" and how the heck is that "hid[ing] our embarrassment" about our vulvas and vaginas?

Why use crude medical terms for something which is so important to a woman. My DD's yoni will bring her womanhood, then it will bring her pleasure, and then children (if she chooses to have them).
post #38 of 184
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kessed View Post
Excuse me?????

Are you for real????

Yoni is a beautiful word.



How is that "horrid" and how the heck is that "hid[ing] our embarrassment" about our vulvas and vaginas?

Why use crude medical terms for something which is so important to a woman. My DD's yoni will bring her womanhood, then it will bring her pleasure, and then children (if she chooses to have them).

Yeah. That.
post #39 of 184
We say vagina but my girls had a hard time with the word so it became gine- gine when they learned to say it so it stuck. So i say vagina and they say gine-gine still but they are still young.
post #40 of 184
We use vulva, or genitals.

To me, saying vagina (the birth canal) when you really mean vulva (the visible, external female genitalia) is like saying "mouth" when you really mean "face".

No cutsie names here. Just like shoulder, elbow, ear don't require cutsie names.

Yoni is nice, but never caught on in our house.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Parenting
Mothering › Mothering Forums › Mom › Parenting › What name do you use for your daughters private parts?