or Connect
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

clamping the cord

post #1 of 7
Thread Starter 
My latest clients wanted delayed cord cutting but the lightening fast OB clamped it off immediately, then asked dad to cut. Dad responded by reminding OB to wait till it stopped pulsating and OB gave the cord about 35 more seconds...the cord was already clamped.

I suspect that any benefits the baby would have received with delayed cord cutting were not happening anyway because the cord was already clamped. Is my line of thinking correct here? Any other thoughts or resources are appreciated too.

ETA: Rereading this the answer the answer is SO obvious! LOL! I had just come from the all night birth and was still processing! Thanks for the kinds answers below.
post #2 of 7
you are correct, if the cord is clamped it would be cutting off the blood flow to the baby anyway.

my suggestion to clients who want to delay cord clamping/cutting is that they deny consent until the placenta has been birthed. Generally by this time the cord is done, and nobody has to stand GAURD over the doc and their cord clamps...

it also serves to keep baby WITH mom until the birth of the placenta, which in some hospitals is an incredibly long time! Hopefully the cord is long enough and we have inititated breastfeeding by the birth of the placenta, so then you can say that the baby is to stay with mom till nursing is done.
post #3 of 7
Thread Starter 
yup, just what I thought but needed to be sure...


So hypothetically if I had somehow gotten this OB to remove the clamps, would the cord start pulsing again and effectively provided blood to baby?

Quote:
my suggestion to clients who want to delay cord clamping/cutting is that they deny consent until the placenta has been birthed. Generally by this time the cord is done, and nobody has to stand GAURD over the doc and their cord clamps...

it also serves to keep baby WITH mom until the birth of the placenta, which in some hospitals is an incredibly long time! Hopefully the cord is long enough and we have inititated breastfeeding by the birth of the placenta, so then you can say that the baby is to stay with mom till nursing is done
Great suggestion! thanks!
post #4 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by coobabysmom View Post
yup, just what I thought but needed to be sure...

So hypothetically if I asked somehow gotten this OB to remove the clamps, would the cord start pulsing again and effectively provided blood to baby?
nak..

If it were done right away, yes. It would be no different from compressing any other blood vessel for a few seconds and then letting go.
post #5 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by coobabysmom View Post
yup, just what I thought but needed to be sure...

So hypothetically if I had somehow gotten this OB to remove the clamps, would the cord start pulsing again and effectively provided blood to baby?


Not necessarily - the clamping can cause the blood vessels in the cord to spasm and the blood is no longer free flowing once the clamps are removed (even if removed quickly).
post #6 of 7
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Belle View Post
nak..

If it were done right away, yes. It would be no different from compressing any other blood vessel for a few seconds and then letting go.
Quote:
Wittyone wrote:
Not necessarily - the clamping can cause the blood vessels in the cord to spasm and the blood is no longer free flowing once the clamps are removed (even if removed quickly).
Both of these thoughts make sense to me. If the cord was unclamped, would there be way to tell if the blood flow was regained or not? By touch, by sight?
post #7 of 7
I'd think there'd be a pulse, yes? (in the part that was being blocked by the clamp, I mean)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Birth Professionals