ok so I took a stab at making diapers......the only thing is that I decided not to use a pattern because that is too 'planned' for me....I like spontanaity....lol
Actually I just do not like mearsuring and figuring stuff. Eventually I might use a pattern...but for now I am just winging it, and if it does not work, I am out nothing because I am using recycled material and even had a little fun along the way. Oh yeah did I mention, this is only my third sewing machine project...hehehe
I do not have pics...I might put some up later.
I made 4 or 5 diapers, some will probably work and some might not.
My fav is a diaper that I made from my oldest dd's sheet that got attacked by scissors. I was saddened when the sheet got put out of commission because it was my fav sheet of hers, but I think I may like it better as a dipe! lol It is white with pastel purple and pink butterflies, flowers, ladybugs, ect.
Here is what I did to make it....
I took the corner of the fitted sheet and cut it out. I have no clue measurements, because I do not like measuring. I then folded in and sewed the edges to make it more refined. I lined the inside with part of a plastic pillow cover that had gotten ripped up (being a pack rat can sometimes pay off). I then took old white t-shirts and cut layers (about 3) and sewed them on top of the plastic. Obviously it was all sewn to the inside of the sheet. The elastic from the sheet corner is around the waist. I do not have any fasteners on yet. I might sew on some velcro later or just use diaper pins...but those make me nervous. It turned out pretty cute ( I think the material is the main thing that made it cute). It is not really nicely defined like most of the diapers I have seen made, but I think it still would get the job done. It seems more like a swaddling wrap than a defined diaper. It is more poofy...which kind of adds to the cuteness. It is about a newborn size....which works great because I have a newborn girl. Although I was aiming for bigger. It may be able to fit a smaller older baby (maybe up to 5 months). This was my first and fav.
I then tried to make another out of the sheet...this time bigger. It did not turn out as well. It appears ok, but not quite as practical because I cut the plastic too short....so it only covers half of the inside of the dipe...but that is remediable. Without the plastic it would probably leak since I do not have a lot of layers. I might go back later and fix it all. It would probably fit a one year old. I tried it on my one and 3/4 year old and he was a little big for it to be worn comfy. So one or a small 1.5 may be able to wear it. But I need to fix the issue before it can be used. I was not overly fond of how this one turned out. It was not as cute....it looked more like a sheet wrapped up to play as a diaper...which I guess is what it is...lol
I then used my hubby's old plaid boxers to make a dipe. The fabric is more boyish but it is too small to work for my youngest boy....so it will just have to be a boyish girl diaper...lol. This dipe is however possibly too
refined. It basically looks like a rectangle with straps. I used the same interior design (plastic and white shirt layers) as I did the others. The straps are not the best design and will probably need to be revamped if the diaper is ever put into actual use. They are made out of the slightly elastic colar of the white t- shirt. I sewed a rectangle of fabric (that had a button in the middle) on the front top of the dipe to be used as a fastener. It is not the greatest, because the one button in the middle causes the diaper to move and sag. I should have put one button on each side instead.....you would think I would have learned from my mistake but instead I made the same mistake twice in a row with a different dipe.
I cut little slits in the straps, but they needed to be reinforced, but I could not get them reinforced nicely on the machine....so that should be fixed somehow....possibly hand sewn. But I think I may have to rethink the straps and fasteners. This dipe is pretty simple and honestly I do not know if it would even work well as a dipe.
I made another dipe out of an old dress shirt of my hubby's. This is a very businessy light blue and white pin striped shirt, and that was the look I was aiming for,(for my son) but instead it looks more train engineererish..lol. It was ralph lauren brand so it had the polo dude on it and I tried to make him the front center...but it got slightly off center....oh well the dude got sewn over later anyway. He is still noticeable but not centered and has stitching going through him a ciuple of times (not noticeable from far away).
This one was made in a basic rectangle with straps format as well....although the strap/fastener system was much better with this one once I fixed it. It used the same button idea, but it was one on each side and it is even adjustable because I used the same buttoning system that the shirt used...but just sideways instead of up and down. This dipe is alright....not my fav though.
I can not remember, but I think that was my last.
They all are alright for not using a standerdized pattern, but definitly not as nice as the ones I have seen on here. I will make some more later.
So that has been my voyage thus far......