or Connect
Mothering › Mothering Forums › Pregnancy and Birth › Birth and Beyond › Do you say anything mean in labor?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Do you say anything mean in labor? - Page 2

post #21 of 93
No, not mean... just a tad of diva-ness, that I do not usually show.

Example..

"That shirt is too hot to touch, take it off" to hubby who was wearing a flannel shirt overlayer while I hung on him during contractions.
post #22 of 93
: I think I called my unborn son a b@stard. Or I might have just yelled it out randomly, like, "B@stard!" I don't remember exactly. I was really frustrated at a lot of different things. I do remember that the CNM got a really shocked look on her face. Guess she'd never heard THAT one before.
post #23 of 93
There was one point in the hospital where I was breathing through a contraction, and the orderly who was setting up the cart with the midwife's gloves and things got really concerned. He kept asking me, "Are you OK?" and finally DH, nonchalantly in the corner setting up his laptop, told him "She's fine." The contraction ended and I finally piped up, saying dryly, "Yeah, I'm just in labor." I was SO amused by this because it was a LABOR AND DELIVERY WARD. I was easily amused during labor though.

But no, the only really snappish thing I did was to tell my DH to stop stroking my hair or rubbing my back or something while I pushed. Whatever it was was REALLY uncomfortable so I was hardly going to say nothing about it! It hurt his feelings though.
post #24 of 93
At one point while I was concentrating during a contraction, one of the midwives poked her head into the room and asked if I wanted them to stay with me or whether I wanted to be alone with my DH. I said "Just go!" though it was more along the lines of stop bugging me while I'm having a contraction. Later my husband said I kicked them out of the room so I guess it came across a bit more strongly than intended.

And I cussed during transition, but only when my husband was around. I was too embarrassed to cuss in front of the midwives ... LOL
post #25 of 93
I told DH to shut the F up because he was complaining about feeling nauseous from the cafeteria food while I was in transition and thought my crotch was on fire. Please. I don't want to here about your pain when my vulva is ripping open. He totally deserved it.
post #26 of 93
I had been in labor for about 15 hours - hard, active labor. My doctor came in and the nurse asked him if I was dialated to one or two. "Nope, She's dialated to like station forever. " Meaning I was nowhere near were I needed to be.

I looked at him and told him to "shut up and come back to my room when he could be more productive." He laughed at me and told me I could apologize later. I did.
post #27 of 93
I didn't actually say the words...but my head was full of some nasty comments. I remember my sister came in the room and was showing my mom her new coat. "Who the f**k cares about your flippin' coat!!!!!!"
post #28 of 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by notwonamesalike View Post
I looked at him and told him to "shut up and come back to my room when he could be more productive." He laughed at me and told me I could apologize later. I did.

I don't know.... I think he should have apologized to you!
post #29 of 93
I stayed home until late in my labor. When I arrived at the hospital, the nurse said that she would need to send a tech in to take some blood. I was getting ready to get into the tub. The nurse stated that the tech on duty was male and asked if I would prefer a female tech. I mumbled, "I don't give a sh!t." The nursed said, "What?" and I said "I DON'T GIVE A SH!T!" My sweet doula then turned to the nurse and said, "She said she doesn't have a preference."

So, yeah, I guess I was a little bit mean during labor.
post #30 of 93
During transition with DS#2 DH kept patting my hand saying "It's ok. It's ok." over and over and I finally yelled at him to shut up, cuz it was the most annoying thing at that point and not at all helpful. My sister told me just a few days ago something I don't remember at all about my labor with DS#1. She said my MIL was talking and being annoying and I said something along the lines of "somebody get her out of here" but I don't remember that at all, and I really like my MIL so I can't imagine saying that but she swears I was so annoyed at MIL.
post #31 of 93
I can't remember...but I know that I was thinking some not very nice things about everyone in the room when they were being so cheerful and telling me that I was doing a great job!
post #32 of 93
I yelled at my mom to "shut up" when she was trying to get me to visualize the baby going down the canal (I knew she was stuck at thins point.) This was right after telling her I loved her. She thought it was funny, but thankfully didn't laugh. I don't remember saying anything mean to DH, but I did bite him a couple of times. When the nurse was trying to tell me risks of the epidural I told her to "shut up and stick it in me."
post #33 of 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by barefootpoetry View Post
: I think I called my unborn son a b@stard. Or I might have just yelled it out randomly, like, "B@stard!" I don't remember exactly. I was really frustrated at a lot of different things. I do remember that the CNM got a really shocked look on her face. Guess she'd never heard THAT one before.
: This is about the funniest thing I have heard in a LONG time. Just wait till DS grows up, and you can tell him you've been swearing at him since before he was even born!! :nana:



I didn't say anything mean during my labor. In fact, I was the complete oposite. I was extremely sensitive to other people's feelings. In fact, during transition, I remeber screaming/moanin/singing really loudly during a contraction. Right after it let up, I looked around the room and said, "are you guys okay?" Everyone laughed at me and said, "we're fine, just consentrate on you." I guess I was just worried that my loved ones were having a hard time watching me in pain, and I was also a bit embarrassed I think. I'm sure next time I will let that feeling go, because in hindsight, I can see how much it was holding me back.
post #34 of 93
I made it through the birth just fine, but after when I was blissfully holding DD they started to sew me up and I sat up and said "WHAT are you DOING down there!!!" 'cause it really hurt. When the doctor went to leave, we thanked her (she had been wonderful) and I apologized for "being crabby" She looked at me like I had lost my mind. Apparently, I was actually low on the mean scale.
post #35 of 93
Two things: when my family (mom, dad, brother) was driving me crazy early on by hanging around my house, I finally just snapped and said, "You realize you are all going to have to LEAVE." They all got this shocked look on their faces and left promptly. My poor family. My entire family that I grew up with!

But the one we still laugh about is when we were on our way out the door to go to the hospital and my MIL (who is one of the sweetest people on earth) asked me if there was anything she could do for me, and I said, "Shoot me in the FACE!" (while literally crawling on the floor towards the door).

It was totally rude, but it has become a catch phrase among our friends.
post #36 of 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by greene_mama View Post
But the one we still laugh about is when we were on our way out the door to go to the hospital and my MIL (who is one of the sweetest people on earth) asked me if there was anything she could do for me, and I said, "Shoot me in the FACE!" (while literally crawling on the floor towards the door).

It was totally rude, but it has become a catch phrase among our friends.
Bwahahaha!!!! These are great!!! LOOOOOVE IT!!!

I can totally picture this in my mind. Crawling to the door!!!! Priceless.

Oh, and ETA: I am truely sorry that I am taking such sick and twisted pleasure in all of your 'mean' sayings and birth stories. But is it just me, or is this the stuff we remember forever? Not necessarily the pain, but the funny, random, off the wall humer in it all???
post #37 of 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by MammaB21 View Post
:

I didn't say anything mean during my labor. In fact, I was the complete oposite. I was extremely sensitive to other people's feelings. In fact, during transition, I remeber screaming/moanin/singing really loudly during a contraction. Right after it let up, I looked around the room and said, "are you guys okay?" Everyone laughed at me and said, "we're fine, just consentrate on you." I guess I was just worried that my loved ones were having a hard time watching me in pain, and I was also a bit embarrassed I think. I'm sure next time I will let that feeling go, because in hindsight, I can see how much it was holding me back.
This was me! While pushing I would lay back after a contraction and then say "is everyone ok? Are you ready? I'm gonna start pushing again ok?" The mw's giggled and told me not to worry about anyone but me.

I sometimes have a potty mouth, especially when I'm hurting, but one of my mw's is very religious, and so I subconciously didn't want to "offend" her. It was good though, because it kept me in a positive frame of mind.

My sister on the other hand had the same mw's and swore like a sailor!
post #38 of 93
I don't think I was mean to anybody. I was pretty mellow up until 9-10cm when I wanted to push and couldn't because of an anterior lip, I threw out a few G*d D****it's and I just want to f**king push, my midwife laughed at those. Apparently because I had been so calm all during my labor and I was starting to get feisty At one point my DH started to get worked up. I stopped mid contraction/pushing and looked directly at him and in the calmest voice said "Just relax, everything is okay". That will forever stick with me since I was the pregnant woman doing the reassuring to her husband instead of the other way around.
post #39 of 93
At one point during the homebirth I desperately wanted to yell "Enough of this hippie crap, just pull the damn kid out already!" But I had the restraint to keep it to myself.
post #40 of 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by honeydee View Post
I told DH to shut the F up because he was complaining about feeling nauseous from the cafeteria food while I was in transition and thought my crotch was on fire. Please. I don't want to here about your pain when my vulva is ripping open. He totally deserved it.
OMG, I can't stop laughing at this.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Birth and Beyond
Mothering › Mothering Forums › Pregnancy and Birth › Birth and Beyond › Do you say anything mean in labor?