or Connect
Mothering › Mothering Forums › Pregnancy and Birth › Fertility › Family Planning › Copper IUD and Side effects
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Copper IUD and Side effects

post #1 of 572
Thread Starter 
I had the copper IUD for about 9 months. Shortly after I had it inserted, I started having anxiety, panic attacks on and off (nothing to be consistent enough at the beginning to make me wonder if it was the IUD) I also became unhappy, unmotivated, and just plain blah. I felt like I was sick all the time.

I had my IUD removed and two days after I felt like my old self again. Now I feel fantastic one month later! People at work are even commenting on how different or rather "normal" I am.

Did this happen to anybody else out there?
post #2 of 572

Copper IUD side effects

Lactavia,
Thank you for writing this post! I am going through this right now. I have been sick for the past four or five months and unable to trace the cause.

I had a Paraguard IUD placed in July 2007 and began suffering from heart palpitations, extreme fatigue, anxiety and some depression in February 2008. It took me a long time to think that the IUD might be the cause of my symptoms. I just had it removed three days ago. My symptoms haven’t yet improved, but I am hopeful that they will.

Do you remember how long it took for you to feel better after you had it removed?

Before I was perfectly healthy, happy and peaceful. Lately I’ve felt like I nervous wreck. I just want to be myself again.





Quote:
Originally Posted by lactavia View Post
I had the copper IUD for about 9 months. Shortly after I had it inserted, I started having anxiety, panic attacks on and off (nothing to be consistent enough at the beginning to make me wonder if it was the IUD) I also became unhappy, unmotivated, and just plain blah. I felt like I was sick all the time.

I had my IUD removed and two days after I felt like my old self again. Now I feel fantastic one month later! People at work are even commenting on how different or rather "normal" I am.

Did this happen to anybody else out there?
post #3 of 572
Thread Starter 
I started feeling better by the next day. But I continued to feel better as every day went by. I got my period now, and I feel more like my old self then ever. I know I'm back to myself becuase I woke this morning with hives from god knows what and I was not a wreck - had it happened with the IUD still in, I'm sure I would have been insane.

I would say give it till your period and let it wash out the extra copper?

I'm glad that I'm not the only one who experienced that. The midwife said that what we discribed happens, but rarely - I'm guessing it happens more often then they think.
post #4 of 572
I have never seen a post of this nature, so I wanted to comment. I am experiencing the same thing and am looking at removal tomorrow. I know this is not in my head, as things were completely different prior to insertion. My PMS is heightened with extreme fatigue, frustration, irritation, a blah feeling, as you say, and anxiety. I have never had a problem prior and I definitely believe it has a lot to do with a copper toxicity issue.

Are there any other experiences out there like this? I am more or less just curious.

(I know this is a few months old, but it is so rare to see something about this.)
post #5 of 572
Thread Starter 
Just as a follow up almost 3 months later. I'm feeling so much better! The anxiety is gone and I'm gearing up to start exercising like I used to. WOOO! I've also talked to a friend of mine who has the hormone IUD and she's experiencing similar side affects as I did. Get rid of it! Use something else. Condoms are wonderful because they do the job.
post #6 of 572
Quote:
Originally Posted by lactavia View Post
Just as a follow up almost 3 months later. I'm feeling so much better! The anxiety is gone and I'm gearing up to start exercising like I used to. WOOO! I've also talked to a friend of mine who has the hormone IUD and she's experiencing similar side affects as I did. Get rid of it! Use something else. Condoms are wonderful because they do the job.
Hello! Thanks for the update. I had it removed four hours ago and now I am hoping to see marked improvement(s) over the next month.

I haven't stopped exercising, but I will say, I am less motivated. Also, I am not toning like I used to, which is unfortunate. I truly hope getting the copper/IUD removed will help!

I found the following site regarding copper toxicity issues and while many sites say it is rare, I cannot help but feel it is more common than "they" say, especially with the issues I've had with doctors taking me seriously.

http://www.drlwilson.com/articles/co...y_syndrome.htm
post #7 of 572
Hi Mulvah, Congratulations on getting it removed. Believe me, it is NOT in your head. The IUD made me severely fatigued and affected my life this year in an incredibly negative way. I never had problems with heart palpitations and nearly debilitating anxiety until I had the copper IUD inserted.

I wish you all the best. I had mine removed in June 2008 and I am feeling better each month. I am still not 100% but know that my health and my peace will soon return to the way it was pre-IUD.

I don't believe that this condition is rare; but for some reason many physicians are unwilling to admit that many women have problems with IUDs.

Faith


Quote:
Originally Posted by Mulvah View Post
Hello! Thanks for the update. I had it removed four hours ago and now I am hoping to see marked improvement(s) over the next month.

I haven't stopped exercising, but I will say, I am less motivated. Also, I am not toning like I used to, which is unfortunate. I truly hope getting the copper/IUD removed will help!

I found the following site regarding copper toxicity issues and while many sites say it is rare, I cannot help but feel it is more common than "they" say, especially with the issues I've had with doctors taking me seriously.

http://www.drlwilson.com/articles/co...y_syndrome.htm
post #8 of 572
How about hot flashes? I got the copper IUD two weeks ago and have been frequently feeling suddenly flushed and overheated in rooms that are a comfortable temperature. I'm 24 so I'm pretty far out from menopause . . . can the IUD cause that, or could it be related to another IUD symptom (like anxiety)???

Also, I've felt like I need to pee more frequently, just like being pregnant. Anyone else feel like that with an IUD?
post #9 of 572
Quote:
Originally Posted by annmartina View Post
How about hot flashes? I got the copper IUD two weeks ago and have been frequently feeling suddenly flushed and overheated in rooms that are a comfortable temperature. I'm 24 so I'm pretty far out from menopause . . . can the IUD cause that, or could it be related to another IUD symptom (like anxiety)???

Also, I've felt like I need to pee more frequently, just like being pregnant. Anyone else feel like that with an IUD?
I did not have those specific symptoms, but that doesn't mean it's not the IUD that is causing it.

I will say, I am starting to feel like my old self again. I am curious how my PMS and menstruation will differ without the IUD, but I'll find out in a few short weeks.

Good luck with your IUD, annmartina.
post #10 of 572
ok this is a facinating thread.

I too have a copper IUD and have had very heavy periods where i loose blood clots, I have recently been extremely tired. and have a few signs of hypothyroidism...could it be my IUD?
post #11 of 572
I hope the OP doesn't mind that I keep responding in this thread. I was more or less just shocked that I found a thread about this since every doctor, other IUD-wearers, etc. thought I was nuts.

In a way, it is nice to see others are having the same issues that are resolved after having the IUD removed. I also recognize that most people do not have an issue, which I think is wonderful!

Quote:
Originally Posted by birthmommom View Post
ok this is a facinating thread.

I too have a copper IUD and have had very heavy periods where i loose blood clots, I have recently been extremely tired. and have a few signs of hypothyroidism...could it be my IUD?
I had my thyroid checked twice and it was perfect, though I do have a family history of thyroid issues. Also, many doctors differ in terms of when they will treat, at least in my experience.

I thought I had a thyroid problem because most of my symptoms were found in typical thyroid-symptom lists.

It's definitely worth exploring, depending upon what is worth it to you (getting the IUD removed vs. the severity of the symptoms).

Good luck!
post #12 of 572
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mulvah View Post
I found the following site regarding copper toxicity issues and while many sites say it is rare, I cannot help but feel it is more common than "they" say, especially with the issues I've had with doctors taking me seriously.

http://www.drlwilson.com/articles/co...y_syndrome.htm
I know it's been a while since this thread was used, but I just read it. On the site it says that when someone has high levels of copper they are often deficient in Zinc. Has anyone tried to increase their Zinc levels to see if it helps. I just got my Paraguard today, so I haven't noticed any symptoms, BUT if I do I will definitely start taking Zinc first. Jut a thought!!
post #13 of 572
this is all very interesting to me. i got my paragaurd exactly a year ago and have been very fatigued, but i also have a 17 month old so i thought that was why. i also have extremely heavy periods, which i sort of expected, but a lot of blood clots. dh is so disturbed every time i show him. so one thing someone mentioned that is definitely happening to me is that i am so so so so so irritated around my period. i recognize it, so i don't snap at dd or dh but sometimes i feel like such a bear, i have to just say, "flow" to my dh so he knows to just leave me alone.
i was thinking about taking the IUD out next month to TTC anyway, so i'm very interested if the fatigue and irritation go away with it. i'll let you know...
post #14 of 572
btw, i would definitely check with a homeopath or naturopath before taking zinc if you are breastfeeding, as i still am. it is a heavy metal and will go straight into your breastmilk.
post #15 of 572
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kesliemack View Post
I know it's been a while since this thread was used, but I just read it. On the site it says that when someone has high levels of copper they are often deficient in Zinc. Has anyone tried to increase their Zinc levels to see if it helps. I just got my Paraguard today, so I haven't noticed any symptoms, BUT if I do I will definitely start taking Zinc first. Jut a thought!!
Yep! I researched the zinc/copper relationship in depth. I did take zinc supplements. I also stopped eating foods that were copper-rich, thinking it would make a difference. It didn't. However, I think it's a great place to start!
post #16 of 572
.
post #17 of 572
Hmm... I got the Paragard a few weeks ago. Haven't had any problems with it at all. I did get some low back pain, so that could be a side affect. But, the back pain came and went and felt much more like my sciatica than anything. I'm on Zoloft right now for PPD, so that's probably why I wouldn't notice any anxiety or depression problems. Well, we'll see how it goes! I told the doctor that i'd have it removed if it caused problems. So far so good.
post #18 of 572
OMG. This is me. DS is 9mo on Wednesday, and for the first time in my life I've spent the last 9mo with uncontrollable depression and fatigue. I've never heard about the copper IUD causing this. I've been debating taking it out because my periods are also uncontrollable. This may have just cinched things for me.
post #19 of 572
So last night, after thinking and thinking, I went to take a shower and the IUD had popped out on its own.

This is amazing. I woke up before my alarm today - for the first time since DS was born.

Getting out of bed before noon has been a chore recently, and I was up before 7! I want to see a long-term trend before I'm sold that the IUD was the reason, but wow.

::::
post #20 of 572
Same symptoms here with me. I've had my thyroid checked and it was fine. I'm on my THIRD anti-depressant with not much change and I'm getting this sucker removed in less than 2 weeks. Not soon enough. The last 6 months have been so awful for me that I wish I would have gotten Mirena. We're just going to stick with condoms and consider hubby getting a V. I also supplemented with extra zinc and it didn't help. Keeping my fingers crossed that it will work!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Family Planning
Mothering › Mothering Forums › Pregnancy and Birth › Fertility › Family Planning › Copper IUD and Side effects