or Connect
Mothering › Mothering Forums › Welcome to Mothering! › Site Help › new posts/search
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

new posts/search - Page 4

post #61 of 166
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cynthia Mosher View Post
Corruption of the search index occurred so that it had to be rebuilt again. We have nearly 12 million posts and compiling the search index for that many posts takes a very long time. It is a very intensive task that places a high load on the server when it is running. So, coupled with disabling the indexing when there is a lot of traffic on the boards so that we avoid the slow loading and high loads that cause a crash, it takes weeks.

We did complete a full search index about a week ago. But the search feature was operating very slowly so more table work was done to optimize this and resolve the slowness. This created the need for yet another index to incorporate this change to the tables. But the indexing is running more quickly this time, thanks to the optimization. The indexing is disabled at high traffic times so it's not going to be done in the 2-3 days predicted it would take to complete. When? I don't know. This is all being handled by our server manager so we're just waiting and hoping it will be done by the weekend.
It could take weeks, and the last update said not 2-3 days.
post #62 of 166
Quote:
Originally Posted by fek&fuzz View Post
It could take weeks, and the last update said not 2-3 days.
Well, if we're bolding here...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cynthia Mosher View Post
Corruption of the search index occurred so that it had to be rebuilt again. We have nearly 12 million posts and compiling the search index for that many posts takes a very long time. It is a very intensive task that places a high load on the server when it is running. So, coupled with disabling the indexing when there is a lot of traffic on the boards so that we avoid the slow loading and high loads that cause a crash, it takes weeks.

We did complete a full search index about a week ago. But the search feature was operating very slowly so more table work was done to optimize this and resolve the slowness. This created the need for yet another index to incorporate this change to the tables. But the indexing is running more quickly this time, thanks to the optimization. The indexing is disabled at high traffic times so it's not going to be done in the 2-3 days predicted it would take to complete. When? I don't know. This is all being handled by our server manager so we're just waiting and hoping it will be done by the weekend.
post #63 of 166
Quote:
Originally Posted by changingseasons View Post
Well, if we're bolding here...


oh, sure, be that way.
post #64 of 166
Quote:
Originally Posted by changingseasons View Post
Well, if we're bolding here...
ahh, but which weekend?




Did someone say weeks?
post #65 of 166
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calidris View Post
ahh, but which weekend?




Did someone say weeks?
True, it says the weekend. Not this weekend. That just means in the few weeks that it will be done, it will be done by "the" weekend.
post #66 of 166
Shouted in my best imitation of Fairuka Salt..But I want the new posts to work NOWModerators! I don't WANT to wait! I'm going to cry and scream and hold my breath until I turn BLUE! And I want a SQUIRREL!!
post #67 of 166
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calidris View Post
ahh, but which weekend?

true, true.
post #68 of 166
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Worm View Post
Shouted in my best imitation of Fairuka Salt..But I want the new posts to work NOWModerators! I don't WANT to wait! I'm going to cry and scream and hold my breath until I turn BLUE! And I want a SQUIRREL!!
: is this close enough to a squirrel?
post #69 of 166
HAHA HA!!! Thank you! I was going to post that picture but I forgot! But now I want my GOLDEN TICKET! WHO STOLE MY GOLDEN TICKET???
post #70 of 166
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Worm View Post
ARRRRGH!!! Please!! I can't take it anymore!!! I NEED the new posts thingy!!! Otherwise I can't decide where to go...I want to read EVERYTHING and then I get nothing done!!! INFORMATION OVERLOAD!!!
:
post #71 of 166
I miss new posts, too, but I never use the search except for that. For those of you who miss actually searching for specific things (not just new posts, but actual topics), I always just go to google.com and type in my search and "MDC" or "motheringdotcommune" and usually it comes up with a bunch of hits. Just an idea for those of you with desparate questions
post #72 of 166
Am I the only one who DOESN'T use the new post function?

I use the search button, though. :::
post #73 of 166
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alcyone View Post
Cynthia already updated and said it wouldn't be done in the 2-3 days originally predicted.
Ah, thanks. I didn't read the update, I've just been wondering why it hasn't been working yet.

2-3 weeks?


post #74 of 166

Am I missing it, or is it gone?

I'm trying to find the advanced search option that I used to use to narrow searches down; and now I can't find the link. What's going on with that??
post #75 of 166
Waiting patiently
post #76 of 166
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blu Razzberri View Post
I'm trying to find the advanced search option that I used to use to narrow searches down; and now I can't find the link. What's going on with that??
I've moved this to the search questions thread.
post #77 of 166
Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieBrown View Post
Am I the only one who DOESN'T use the new post function?

I use the search button, though. :::
Me . But I use the search function ALL. THE. TIME. And it's driving me crazy that it's not working now! I'll try the Google/MDC approach in the meantime.
post #78 of 166
Quote:
Originally Posted by Breastisbest2008 View Post
Waiting patiently
You are better than I. I'm impatient.
post #79 of 166
Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieBrown View Post
Am I the only one who DOESN'T use the new post function?
Possibly the only one on this particular thread who doesn't use it- as Google is a replacement for specific item searches but nothing can replace "new posts". :
post #80 of 166
Totally.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Site Help
Mothering › Mothering Forums › Welcome to Mothering! › Site Help › new posts/search