or Connect
Mothering › Mothering Forums › Mom › Women's Health  › Healing The Gut Tribe!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Healing The Gut Tribe! - Page 6

post #101 of 451
I'm coming over here too. Time to get my gut on the wagon.
I had started taking acidiphilus once a day to try to start with healing. However, I started having dizziness, stomach pain and nausea. Has anyone else experienced this? If so, what is it and what do I do about it?
I went off the acidiphilus for now until I figure out what I should do.
TIA.
post #102 of 451
Quote:
Originally Posted by JacquelineR View Post
I'm coming over here too. Time to get my gut on the wagon.
I had started taking acidiphilus once a day to try to start with healing. However, I started having dizziness, stomach pain and nausea. Has anyone else experienced this? If so, what is it and what do I do about it?
I went off the acidiphilus for now until I figure out what I should do.
TIA.
I totally got that same reaction when I started taking the Candex (except that I also had gas, bloating, the big D). Maybe it's just a die-off reaction??
post #103 of 451
I also had the same reaction with Candidase and probiotic. Bet it's die off related -- kind of like going through detox. I did read that die off can be kind of nasty, which is why a lot of people don't stick with it. Good thing I read that ahead of time, or I'd have given up.

I will say that I've been doing the Candidase and probiotic combo 2 hours before each meal over the past 2 weeks, and I feel so, so much better all around. After I finish off the Candidase, I'm switching over to a broader base enzyme for maintenance - though I've been contemplating adding Threelac instead.

Jacqueline R -- my suggestion would be to gradually get it into your system. How often were you taking the acidophilus? What dose?
post #104 of 451
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanethiel View Post
Bummer. I just read that it has been known to decrease milk supply. Has anybody experienced this?
My supply dropped when I took this, but my dd was 3 1/2 and we were quite ready to wean so it was not a big deal for either of us. I did notice that there was less milk for sure though. I wouldn't use it with a 9mo nursling. Maybe GSE would work better for you? I know that's safe during pregnancy and I did take it while nursing with no ill effects.
post #105 of 451
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraLoo View Post
Jacqueline R -- my suggestion would be to gradually get it into your system. How often were you taking the acidophilus? What dose?
Oh thank goodness I'm not going crazy. I mentioned it to my ND and he didn't know what I was talking about. He said "I've never heard of that before."
I didn't want to keep taking it not knowing if it was "normal" or if I was doing *more* damage, yk? I know I should read the cheat sheet, but I never seem to have the time and when I have the time, I don't seem to have the brain function. heh. Can someone tell me about how long that lasts?
I was only taking one tablet (supposedly containing 1 billion live cells) once a day. The "reaction" lasted for a fair number of hours after taking it- maybe I'll start taking it before bed. Then I won't realize I feel like puking.

ETA: I did also have gas and bloating, but no problems with stools. It's kind of funny since the bottle I have says "For occasional upset stomach, gas and bloating." I remember thinking "Uh... To cause it?"
post #106 of 451
I am joining... again. We have been on this frustrating journey for two years now and haven't seen much change. We eat healthier, but it is time to deal with yeast, which I have been trying to avoid for a long time.

Does NoFenol do the same as Candex?
And, dd does Zyme Prime with meals already, has been for a while. Do I have to add AFP and No Fenol to the meals before I add it between meals?

Changingseasons, what probiotic do you use?
post #107 of 451
Quote:
Originally Posted by SAmama View Post
Changingseasons, what probiotic do you use?
I haven't really used one consistently... but the one I have right now is Pharmax HLC High Potency Caps.

And I wanted to say that I didn't quite the Candex. I decided to stick with it after all the talk of die-off reactions. But I'm only taking 2 per day (morning/night) instead of 4. Even with just 1 pill this morning, my stomach was kicking within 30 minutes! So I just ate breakfast a little early (you're supposed to wait 1 hour), and that helped. I guess I just have to ease my way into the enzymes.
post #108 of 451
I'm joining too.

I've been taking enzymes (Enzymedica Digest Gold) with meals for several months now. And I've been on the fence about whether or not to do some kind of treatment specifically for candida. I don't have what I would consider to be "obvious symptoms" like a vaginal yeast infection or thrush. But I do have multiple food allergies/intolerances (avoiding corn, gluten/wheat, most grains except rice, coconut, the onion family, and limiting dairy and sugar) and chemical sensitivities. I feel like with the enzymes some things are getting better as far as the food allergies/intolerances. After avoiding dairy for maybe 6 months, and then several months of the enzymes with meals, I was able to add some limited dairy back into my diet (raw milk cream and a little butter) without having the same reactions as before.

But, my chemical sensitivities are getting WORSE, it seems. It's at the point where I just don't want to go out in public any more, because I am so reactive and always end up getting sick. Even at home, if DH or kids brush their teeth, then breathe on me, I feel sick from the smell of the toothpaste. Or fumes from products they use, or something they've eaten away from home. So it feels like I'm not even safe in my own house lately. I've just been feeling at the end of my rope about it all.

Anyway, I've been reading more about candida overgrowth and wondering if that's what I have. I did the "spit test" and it mostly sank to the bottom of the glass in a big cloudy mass. I also have very very dry skin, and dry scalp, in spite of eating a lot of fat.

So, yesterday I bought some Candidase and started with one capsule in the afternoon, and one capsule in the evening, two hours after finished eating. It was wierd, the only thing I noticed in the afternoon was that an hour or so after taking the Candidase I had the most intense craving for... butter! It felt like a good kind of craving so I gave in, and ate some butter as if it was cheese, on some pecan halves (soaked and roasted a la NT). Only other reactions were a slight headache and some flitting thoughts of various candies which I can't eat anyway because of my allergies, so I counted those as "bad cravings."

Two hours after dinner I took another Candidase capsule and AGAIN had the butter craving. Very odd. But I didn't want to eat anything else for the day so I didn't. I also noticed some itchy skin on my abdomen and upper legs. At bedtime I drank some kombucha, which usually doesn't give me any kind of reactions any more, but this time about a half hour later my stomach was really rumbling.

I slept much better last night than I have in several weeks. I didn't wake up with anxiety in the middle of the night like I've been doing lately. I felt more positive this morning, instead of depressed. For today I'm planning to continue the Digest Gold with every meal, and take one capsule of Candidase approx. 2 hours after every meal.

I have a bunch of questions for those in the know, but I will put them in another post later, since this one has gotten so long.
post #109 of 451
Hi !
I am joining this one too! My dd is 2 and I've posted about her before. She has extreme behavorial reactions and does a weird belly pushing thing that we now know is like a stim (not painful- just need for deep pressure). A year ago she was easily considered autistic, and now she does not fit the diagnosis. She has 2 good weeks and 2 bad weeks a month it seems. For 2 weeks the behavoir and mood is immpossible and she does her belly thing a lot and then 2 weeks she is easy and happy and no belly thing.

The biggest help here was GFCF and grain free TF diet. We were doing enzymes but I now cannot get her to take them for anything! We've done chewables, capsules, mixed, crushed, you name it and she will not take them...so frustrating.

We also do CLO and probiotics though I am looking for a new probiotic. Anyone know of something strong that is absolutly dairy and soy free? I love Dr Ron's but cannot afford it! This gut healing is incredibly expensive. Not to mention the DAN doc who doesn't take insurance.: At this point we can only afford to help my dd and I know some of the problem had to come from me. Dd is taking Nystatin as well, partly b/c with an rx it's cheaper than any other yeast fighters out there. I did get the pharm to compound it with rasberry flavor and stevia instead of the sugary crap walgreens uses.

Anyways nice to have this thread going again!
post #110 of 451
I too am new to this and have been reading reading reading. I will be sure to check out this cheat sheet that you all are referring to. For now I will offer some resources. Forgive me if they are novice, as you all seem to be seniors to this particular topic.

www.behealthy.org.uk/gaps.pdf - a link I got from a differnt thread

"The New Breastfeeding Diet Plan; breakthrough ways to reduce toxins & give your baby the best start in life" by Robert Roundtree MD & Melissa Block M.Ed.
-offers great tips for supplements, resources, information, & recipes

Specific carbohydrate diet - I have a friend who has her son with autism on this diet & raves about it

www.mercola.com - Dr. Mercola has excellent research, resources, & products

::
post #111 of 451
Thread Starter 
WildIris - your story sounds exactly like mine. I've always been sensitive to chemicals, but after pregnancy everything just went insane. I'm afraid to go anywhere as I often get exposed to something and get sick for 8-10h+ after. All the foods that used to bother me just a little are suddenly giving me full on allergic reactions too.

I'm definitely interested to hear how the Candidase works for you. I've been wondering if what I've got going on is yeast even though we don't have any outward signs of it here. Well, I guess I did have thrush a few months ago, but the dietary changes I made for the allergies/gut healing seemed to take care of it.

Hi cahwilson & amberg! Welcome!
post #112 of 451
Quote:
Originally Posted by amberg007 View Post
I too am new to this and have been reading reading reading. I will be sure to check out this cheat sheet that you all are referring to. For now I will offer some resources. Forgive me if they are novice, as you all seem to be seniors to this particular topic.

www.behealthy.org.uk/gaps.pdf - a link I got from a differnt thread

"The New Breastfeeding Diet Plan; breakthrough ways to reduce toxins & give your baby the best start in life" by Robert Roundtree MD & Melissa Block M.Ed.
-offers great tips for supplements, resources, information, & recipes

Specific carbohydrate diet - I have a friend who has her son with autism on this diet & raves about it

www.mercola.com - Dr. Mercola has excellent research, resources, & products

::
Those first two things make me feel "what the hell must be in my breastmilk!" Ugh. Thinking too much
post #113 of 451
Ok, so how much should my die-off affect DD? She has been SUPER whiney, clingy, tantrum-y the last couple days... and I feel like crap because of the die-off. So crabby baby, crabby mama. Not a good combination.
post #114 of 451
Candidase/Candex versus TriEnza.

I am starting my battle with yeast. Dr. Houston responded to an email I sent detailing our issues and asking for suggestions. He suggested TriEnza. Does anyone know if TriEnza would do the same job for yeast as Candex or Candidase? We need to be pineapple free.

from his website:
TriEnza is the long-awaited enzyme product that combines the best of AFP-Peptizyde, Zyme Prime, and No-Fenol into one product!

Two (2) capsules of TriEnza contain:

* all the protease enzymes for protein digestion from AFP-Peptizyde
* all the enzymes (except cellulase) from Zyme Prime
* 1/2 the enzymes from No-Fenol (xylanase) for certain fruits and vegetables high in phenols


He suggested my 2 year old take AFP chewables.
post #115 of 451
Quote:
Originally Posted by SAmama View Post
Does NoFenol do the same as Candex?
And, dd does Zyme Prime with meals already, has been for a while. Do I have to add AFP and No Fenol to the meals before I add it between meals?
I used those two between meals and Zyme Prime with meals since we don't do gluten/dairy/soy and don't have a problem with phenols. It helped quite a bit and is good place to start with but I don't think the combo is anywhere near as strong as Candidase.
post #116 of 451
Quote:
Originally Posted by changingseasons View Post
And I wanted to say that I didn't quite the Candex. I decided to stick with it after all the talk of die-off reactions. But I'm only taking 2 per day (morning/night) instead of 4. Even with just 1 pill this morning, my stomach was kicking within 30 minutes! So I just ate breakfast a little early (you're supposed to wait 1 hour), and that helped. I guess I just have to ease my way into the enzymes.
Good for you! I keep trying to tell you that they are strong and require an adjustment. That's good. That means they're working. And you know, you are using some seriously strong enzymes so you could always start with something gentler to ease yourself into it if you need to. It was very rough with us at the start but so so worth it. The payoff is big.
post #117 of 451
Quote:
Originally Posted by changingseasons View Post
Ok, so how much should my die-off affect DD? She has been SUPER whiney, clingy, tantrum-y the last couple days... and I feel like crap because of the die-off. So crabby baby, crabby mama. Not a good combination.
Are you taking any proteases or Vitamin C? Both will help. The proteases do some 'clean-up' of the debris from the yeast. Hang in there! I don't think you will regret it. But again, you really might want to start enzymes with meals before you jump into the heavy stuff. Are you convinced yet that you are not allergic to them?
post #118 of 451
Quote:
Originally Posted by joybird View Post
Good for you! I keep trying to tell you that they are strong and require an adjustment. That's good. That means they're working. And you know, you are using some seriously strong enzymes so you could always start with something gentler to ease yourself into it if you need to. It was very rough with us at the start but so so worth it. The payoff is big.
I was just a little freaked out because no one else seemed to have these symptoms (or nowhere as severe) from the Candex.

Quote:
Originally Posted by joybird View Post
Are you taking any proteases or Vitamin C? Both will help. The proteases do some 'clean-up' of the debris from the yeast. Hang in there! I don't think you will regret it. But again, you really might want to start enzymes with meals before you jump into the heavy stuff. Are you convinced yet that you are not allergic to them?
Not taking any other supplements at the moment. DD seems to react to any Vitamin C that I can find (all supposedly hypoallergenic ). And the reaction that I had to the ezymes last time was after I had been taking them for a month! And I hadn't changed the frequency or anything.

So right now, I'm officially on one Candex per day. (I was going to do 2/day, but I keep forgetting to take one before bed.) I guess I will work my way up!
post #119 of 451
Quote:
Originally Posted by changingseasons View Post
I was just a little freaked out because no one else seemed to have these symptoms (or nowhere as severe) from the Candex.
I was just at the holistic doc today and we were talking about this very thing. He mirrored my thoughts exactly, which are, if there's not much candida to be killed, there's not gonna be much die-off. It's when you feel the die-off that you know a yeast treatment is working. Not everyone who thinks they have a candida problem actually have one. I would take your symptoms as a resounding yes, that you probably do, and wouldn't it be great if that is a big piece to your puzzle and you finally get some answers and make some headway!

Also, I think many many people are not as aware of their bodies as those of us who have done eliminations and dealt with all of that. We are sort of hyper-aware of every single thing and can't imagine why or how everyone else isn't. I am shocked now at what some people consider 'normal', when if it was happening to me I wouldn't think it normal at all.
post #120 of 451
What do you think of this recommendation:
http://wakingsophie.com/

Would the zymeprime and afp be good enough to start with or should I give her the candex as well?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Women's Health
Mothering › Mothering Forums › Mom › Women's Health  › Healing The Gut Tribe!