or Connect
Mothering › Mothering Forums › Pregnancy and Birth › Understanding Circumcision › it keeps bugging me...re: Dr. Sears
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

it keeps bugging me...re: Dr. Sears - Page 2

post #21 of 49
This has bothered me for a long time, too. In answer to the question as to whether or not he still performs them, the circ section in the most current edition of The Baby Book is not any different than previous editions that I've read - i.e. it still sounds like he regularly performs circs.
post #22 of 49
I wonder if he tries to encourage the parents NOT to circ. and then if they are absolutely determined or they'll go "someplace else", then he does them under those circumstances only so that he can be sure it's being done in the most humane way possible (I realize it's not right or humane to do them, but he can be in control of the situation and use anesthetic for example).

I mean, if I were someone's doctor and they were determined to do something like that, I'd be so worried about my patients going someplace that wouldn't do it right, or whatever, that maybe I'd do it just to know it's being done correctly?

I don't know, just thinking out loud. Not say I agree, just trying not to hang the guy without hearing his reason.
post #23 of 49
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovebabies View Post
I wonder if he tries to encourage the parents NOT to circ. and then if they are absolutely determined or they'll go "someplace else", then he does them under those circumstances only so that he can be sure it's being done in the most humane way possible (I realize it's not right or humane to do them, but he can be in control of the situation and use anesthetic for example).

I mean, if I were someone's doctor and they were determined to do something like that, I'd be so worried about my patients going someplace that wouldn't do it right, or whatever, that maybe I'd do it just to know it's being done correctly?

I don't know, just thinking out loud. Not say I agree, just trying not to hang the guy without hearing his reason.
If a doctor actually states that he refuses performing this surgery because it's harmful/mutilative, I STRONGLY believe that NO parent in right mind will go for it.
If, on the other hand, they were told there is no medical reason for it, it's unnecessary, blah blah, but I do perform them with adequate anesthesia, so your baby won't be in pain, I totally see some parents going for it.
post #24 of 49
I had no idea!! I would love to see some more proof


I don't even know what to say I am/will be soo angry with him (and mothering)
post #25 of 49
This puzzles me that he does them. They're certainly not good for breastfeeding - and that's one of his big things for attachment - and obviously they wouldn't be good for the whole attachment thing anyway...... i'm so confused.
post #26 of 49
So Dr.Sears tells the parents it is wrong and then does it anyway?How do the parents explain that to their son?The doctor said it was wrong and we decided to do it anway and the doctor knew it was wrong and he did it even though he told us it was wrong?How would the doctor explain this?I knew it was wrong and did it because?
post #27 of 49

Evidence

"A local anesthetic can and should always be used. Painless circumcision should be a birthright. I have used a local anesthesia in nearly a thousand babies over the past twenty years. It is a safe procedure and it works. Sometimes the anesthetic will not remove all the pain, but it certainly helps."

I don't understand him. He uses the word "intact," he says there's no medical reason a few times in the section, and talks about how teasing, "look like the father," and disease make no compelling arguments.

An INTACT penis should be a birthright.

He also says anesthesia works but in the next sentence says it might not.

He's circumcised over a 1,000 babies.
:

Sears, William, M.D., and Martha Sears, R.N.. The Baby Book: Everything you need to know about your baby from birth to age two. 2nd ed. New York: Little, Brown and Company, 2003. Pg. 33
post #28 of 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by neostudded View Post
I just learned this right now.
I am shocked and DICUSTED.

Same here :
post #29 of 49
I'll write an actual handwritten letter if someone will provide a physical address in which to mail it.
post #30 of 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by asunlitrose View Post
An INTACT penis should be a birthright.

:
post #31 of 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by latinalonestar View Post
Getting kick off forums for being anti-circ, what a load of BS!!! You know I almost got kicked off mine for putting Intactivist in my siggy.

I feel that way on THIS FORUM about being pro-life. It is tolerated, but I'm kept on a very short leash and have been "reprimanded" twice for expressing myself a little too much in that area! It's frustrating. I feel very censored, but at the same time, I do understand that such issues can lead to heated debates and high emotions so I try to just focus on what I have in common with folks on this forum, which is a lot! I truly feel at home here. Mothering just speaks to my heart and my way of life. I'm grateful for it.

As for Sears, I'll write him a letter. It irritates me too. I was a huge Sears fan and I still am, but have cooled off a bit as I became more and more non-mainstream. I guess even Dr. Sears is not counter-cultural enough for me! I do have many of his books on my shelf. I especially loved his breastfeeding book. Still, I'll write him a letter. Oh, I saw over in the vaccination thread that some ladies feel similar towards Robert Sears concerning his stance on vaccinations. Some felt he was a bit too mainstream even though he supports delayed vaccination and alternate schedule.
post #32 of 49

The only address I could find:

Sears Family Pediatrics
26933 Camino De Estrella, Suite A
Capistrano Beach, CA 92624
949-493-KIDS(5437)
949-493-0535 fax

DrSears@AskDrSears.com

As far as I know, that goes to everyone, not just Robert.
post #33 of 49
>
post #34 of 49
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by tlh View Post
So Dr.Sears tells the parents it is wrong and then does it anyway?How do the parents explain that to their son?The doctor said it was wrong and we decided to do it anway and the doctor knew it was wrong and he did it even though he told us it was wrong?How would the doctor explain this?I knew it was wrong and did it because?
I bet he does NOT say that it's wrong...not many doctors have guts to say that, unfortunately
most anti-circ doctors just say there is no medical reason for it, it's unnecessary, blah blah
post #35 of 49
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by asunlitrose View Post
"Painless circumcision should be a birthright...
the guy got all confused here : it's the whole body which is a birthright! :
post #36 of 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by asunlitrose View Post
"A local anesthetic can and should always be used. Painless circumcision should be a birthright. I have used a local anesthesia in nearly a thousand babies over the past twenty years. It is a safe procedure and it works. Sometimes the anesthetic will not remove all the pain, but it certainly helps."

I don't understand him. He uses the word "intact," he says there's no medical reason a few times in the section, and talks about how teasing, "look like the father," and disease make no compelling arguments.

An INTACT penis should be a birthright.

He also says anesthesia works but in the next sentence says it might not.

He's circumcised over a 1,000 babies.
:

Sears, William, M.D., and Martha Sears, R.N.. The Baby Book: Everything you need to know about your baby from birth to age two. 2nd ed. New York: Little, Brown and Company, 2003. Pg. 33
Full disclosure-- I like Dr. Sears , so I'm inclined to give him more credit than i would probably give otherwise...
I have read this book, too, but my understanding is that the wording of this section (which I believe is also in Christian Parenting and Childcare?) has not changed in 15 years. Maybe he doesn't actually perform them anymore but keeps the "I have used anesthesia" segment so that parents who are determined to circ will demand this from their doctors. Just saying, "Circing is very bad, do not do it" would certainly appeal more to me and most of those on this board, but it might be alienating to most main-stream parents. I believe that Bob uses similar tactics in his vaccine book... i.e, he doesn't disclose what he himself does with his own children so to be more middle-of-the-road (and I think there was a rumor which circulated here that his younger children are not vaxed? I have no source for that at all).
The whole Sears family may have mercenary motives for this middle-of-the-roadness (and I am a bit more extreme myself), but in any case, it works. They have done SO much to make AP more common and more "acceptable." I have a good friend who is considering natural childbirth, baby-wearing, etc, and it's almost entirely because of Sears and the fact that he is not frighteningly fringe. I also have friends who do not circ because of what they read in Sears. So even if, yes, he could have come out and been more clear and perhaps less hypocritical (and I do agree with PPs who have said that a doc who knows that circing is wrong and does so anyway is the worst of the circing offenders), this passage in the book is not enough proof for me that he is currently performing medically unnecessary circumcisions.

But hey-- it can't hurt to write a letter to the office and get some direct information from the source!

ooh-- and Catholic74-- I completely agree with you!
post #37 of 49
the dr sears that wrote for Mothering recently was his son. Same name.. although he goes by dr bob.
One of the sons (at least) is very pro-intact- I believe that is Dr Bob, but can't back that up other than surmise on other threads here.
The current version of the book has different wording (I believe) can't look it up now.
Jessica
post #38 of 49
Yeah, I definately agree that regardless, its hypocritical. And I definately see a difference in wording as well-spewing facts about how it isnt necessary, but I use anesthesia so its not as bad, really isnt going to discourage nearly as many people (it would have still stopped me but only because I was seriously THAT clueless, lol). Saying no, you shouldnt do this, it isnt good, it's going to hurt regardless-we all know that even with effective anesthesia it hurts after the fact-there are risks, etc etc and not even saying "but I still do them...." would be VERY different.

My midwives use this way of talking to discourage parents and it works very well. Those who still want to do it, have to watch the circ video. If (BIG if) they STILL want it done, they are referred out. I dont think they tell them they wont do it just because they want them to listen and want them to be willing to watch the video. I highly doubt Dr. Sears is going that far-though we could be wrong-and obviously if the parents still want it done he says ok, I'll do it....perhaps being forced to find another doc to do it would hit it home for some or be too much effort? I dunno, but as I said, maybe his reasoning is that IF its going to be done, it should be done right. I think its flawed reasoning but again, as a doctor, I would rather see it done by myself than someone I didnt know and see some horribly botched job of it....I guess....gah I dont know, I'm not a doctor!!! lol
post #39 of 49
Not to mention the pain of circumcision isn't the only reason it's wrong.
post #40 of 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessjgh1 View Post
the dr sears that wrote for Mothering recently was his son. Same name.. although he goes by dr bob.
One of the sons (at least) is very pro-intact- I believe that is Dr Bob, but can't back that up other than surmise on other threads here.
The current version of the book has different wording (I believe) can't look it up now.
Jessica
The most current version of The Baby Book is the one I cited.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Understanding Circumcision
Mothering › Mothering Forums › Pregnancy and Birth › Understanding Circumcision › it keeps bugging me...re: Dr. Sears