or Connect
Mothering › Mothering Forums › Pregnancy and Birth › Birth and Beyond › Cesarean support circle IV (October 16- )
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Cesarean support circle IV (October 16- ) - Page 5

post #81 of 123
[QUOTE]Originally posted by UD_CHICK
Repeat CB Questions:
1. Are there pain meds that the doctors can administer that won't make me as dopey as the demerol did in the recovery room?

You can get an epidural and have a pcap pump that will deliver medication right into your spineoon a times scheduled. The epi cath is left in and you can even give yourself a dose if you need it because its patient controlled.

As I recall, something- maybe the epi started to wear off during surgery, so as soon as they had delivered Isobel, they gave me a good dose of Demerol.

This sounds like you got a spinal. If you had the cathetar in your back they could have given you another dose. If you did have an epi, this confuses me.

2. Why get a spinal instead of an epidural?

I would not get a spinal. Ever.

3. What is recovery like for a planned CB?

Mine was great. Read other posts on this thread by me.
post #82 of 123
I am just so happy to find you all here! I read all the posts on this thread to catch up. I'm trying to do my homework on a c/b b/c Patrick is footling so it may be necessary to do a planned one. I really appreciated all the suggestions on things to think about ahead of time.

I'm especially relieved to read that you can have the babies and nurse them right away. I had pretty much thought that was out, but didn't really see why.

Thanks, everyone!
post #83 of 123
I'm glad you found us!

There is a lot to learn about options. I'm jsut now starting to sift through it all too! I'm starting my birth plan for a just in case type thing.
post #84 of 123
Ok, this is the plan... bombard the B and B forum with so many c/b questions they HAVE to give a subforum!

Have you noticed how many questions there are??? One answer I'm kinda t'ed off about but I'll get over it!
post #85 of 123

2 or more c-sec vbac

anyone here have 2 or more c-sec and then have a vbac or know of anyone who has?
post #86 of 123

another question about repeat cbs

for those of us who are having repeat c/bs soon (or has had one recently) - is anyone planning to wait for labor to start before they go into the operating room? (or, did you do this)

I.e., did you wait for your baby to tell you s/he was ready to come out before you went in for your repeat c/b, or did you just schedule it around week 39 (or whatever your doctor's policy is)?

I'm wondering about the merits of waiting for the baby to tell you that it's ready to come out before you go into surgery, versus scheduling a date when the baby may or may not be completely ready to come out.

Any input would be appreciated!

Thanks!
post #87 of 123
UD Chick

I am planning on going into labor first, but am doubting my plan big time. I feel there are great benefits to knowing that your baby is ready to come out. I had a scheduled 38 week section the first time around, and my dd didn't nurse well, the second time I was in labor when I had the section at 39 weeks, and my son nursed beautifully, and it just seemed great that he was ready to be out

However, there are downsides- I won't be able to plan on having my own Dr. do the section, and could very well get one particular partner who I strongly dislike and do not trust (And I'm anxious about this anyway), the other possilbe Dr.s I have never even met Also, I may not be able to get my birth plan followed as well, it would be more of a rush job, IYKWIM. The problem with me is that I was in labor the last time without knowing it, and that makes my OB nervous, she had agreed to just monitor me closely, and do the section at the first signs of early labor. My main issue is that I really think the birth will be best for the baby if I am as comfortable with it as possible, which would be ok for a more easy going mama

It is a tough call, and in the end I will have to go with gut and converse lots with my OB in those last few weeks.
Also- if the baby is in a breech position, I will schedule it for 39 weeks, as I know the risks would be magnified if the baby is breech (for my situation).

Best of luck with that decision.
post #88 of 123

Re: another question about repeat cbs

Quote:
Originally posted by UD_CHICK
for those of us who are having repeat c/bs soon (or has had one recently) - is anyone planning to wait for labor to start before they go into the operating room? (or, did you do this)

I.e., did you wait for your baby to tell you s/he was ready to come out before you went in for your repeat c/b, or did you just schedule it around week 39 (or whatever your doctor's policy is)?

I'm wondering about the merits of waiting for the baby to tell you that it's ready to come out before you go into surgery, versus scheduling a date when the baby may or may not be completely ready to come out.

Any input would be appreciated!

Thanks!
My first csection was an emergency after an unsuccessful ECV. My second was planned 12 days before my due date. Fro me it was important to plan and have verything just so to have my birthplan followed. I was not to bargain with surprises or end up without my doctor, nurse or the anest. that was present at my csection.

But its possible I will be having to face these decisions again and what I can tell you is that it will depend. If I have a breech presentation, it will be planned. I am not going to wait for labor because its risky. (IMO) I think this is very personal decision. Of course when labor begins you know that was the day your baby was to be born -- but if you have to have a csection your emotional state and mentally you may need to have things more planned. I think you have to weigh all aspects of it.
post #89 of 123
I think I am changing my mind from waiting for labor to start, to scheduling instead. I'll talk to my OB, I really trust her, but this whole footling/cord prolapse thing has me much more concerned than babies being a few days early (NEVER thought I'd say this).
post #90 of 123
Yes, as many of you point out, these questions are pretty much academic until we are presented with making them.

I'm just hoping to make it past 35 weeks this time! Then we'll see whether we can try VBAC or stick wtih the planned C.

I do appreciate the points about having your own doctors. That is definately important to me.

Well, I'll continue doing research and we'll see what the next 13 weeks bring! This was about the time in the last pregnancy that I started indicating PTL. So far I haven't felt but the occasional BH.

Deb
post #91 of 123
Terion,

Just checking in, haven't read all of the posts, but I saw your question about vba2c.

My sections were 19 and 18 years ago, vbacs 14, almost 13 years ago and another vbac 10 months ago.

I'll have to read through the posts tomorrow to see what you've written.

Feel free to pm me.
post #92 of 123
Cross-posted, need input.

Sleeping terribly, can't get comfortable for anything, in the bathroom every hour at least. I think nighttime sleep cycles are supposed to be longer than an hour, which means I'm never getting into that deep restorative sleep and I feel it. Tonight is esp. bad - I would not normally give up and get out of bed - but I'm feeling this weird, intense pressure on my cervix and trying to decide what to do about it. Should probably call my OB but wondering if it can wait until my DH wakes up in a couple of hours. Had a few more BH than normal yesterday, but nothing intense or regular at all. Tons of baby movement but I don't know if that's a good sign or a bad sign given the circumstances. Lower back very sore, bad sign. I'm 32w1d now. Too early to have these babies, for sure.

Appreciate those who have read these musings, it's helping me decide that I probably need to wake DH up. Damn.
post #93 of 123
Megs Mom

How are you doing this morning? Praying for you.
post #94 of 123
Analisa--I hope everything is going ok. I've been out so I didn't see any of the posting till lately.

Just an update on me.... I'm going to switch from my mw to an ob. Dh and I have been talking about it. It is not worth using the birthing center to have to deal with those "women on a power trip". I'll explain moer later!
post #95 of 123
Quote:
Originally posted by jess7396
Megs Mom

How are you doing this morning? Praying for you.
Thanks for asking, everyone, here's my update, typed elsewhere and copied here:

Woke up yesterday morning at 4 am, basically in labor. Called the OB, woke Eric up at 5 to take me to the hospital. After a bunch of heartbeat monitoring (they can NEVER find both babies at once, this always takes forever), I was given two injections 20 minutes apart of Terbutaline to stop the contractions. This made my heart race so they did not do the called-for third injection. I was in a significant amount of pain, mostly in my back, so they also gave me Lortab, which seemed to stop the contractions more effectively than the Terb. I threw up twice, got 1-1/2 bags of IV fluids, some Phenergan for nausea, and some lunch (thanks, I've had enough turkey and stuffing lately). Seven hours later we were sent home with nothing for pain b/c doc doesn't want it to mask any contraction changes. I was contracting agian regularly after the Lortab wore off. I dozed the rest of the afternoon while Eric worked a half day. Woke up for dinner and to watch some TV and went back to sleep - slept very badly and woke up in the middle of the night with a severe migraine. Seem to have now gotten rid of that with Fioricet, got up to eat breakfast but have to spend most of my time in bed now. Oh, and the beginnings of a urinary tract infection which COULD explain why this happened, so on antibiotics for that. And a fetal fibronectin test indicated a less than 1% chance I'll go into "real" labor in the next two weeks. (This was just practice labor as it wasn't dilating my cervix, although I am 40% effaced). Ultrasound showed Patrick is still footling and Catherine is still transverse, although she did a 180 degree turn so her feet are against his head, rather than her head butting his. Back to bed for me now.
post #96 of 123
Quote:
Originally posted by its_our_family
Analisa--I hope everything is going ok. I've been out so I didn't see any of the posting till lately.

Just an update on me.... I'm going to switch from my mw to an ob. Dh and I have been talking about it. It is not worth using the birthing center to have to deal with those "women on a power trip". I'll explain moer later!
I was very happy with my switch from MW to OB but certainly it's going to depend upon your specific situation. Good luck!
post #97 of 123
Meg's Mom~~Glad to hear everything is "OK". I know it's not perfect but I'm happy the babies are staying put for a while longer
post #98 of 123
Quote:
Originally posted by its_our_family
Analisa--I hope everything is going ok. I've been out so I didn't see any of the posting till lately.

Just an update on me.... I'm going to switch from my mw to an ob. Dh and I have been talking about it. It is not worth using the birthing center to have to deal with those "women on a power trip". I'll explain moer later!
What happened? I had several posts you have written about them and wondered about these folks myself!

Kim
post #99 of 123
Analisa, Hang in there. Keep them babies baking, Sounds like your babies have some interesting positions in there.
post #100 of 123
Megs mom--Can I copy/paste your update to the Jan/Feb thread?

I'm feeling good about my decision to switch. I don't like they will not give a good answer for anything. I still don't have time to texplain but I think my first indication was that it is impossible to have contractions at 20 weeks.....

I'm out of town but I'm going to contact my doulas OB who she raves about! I'm 32-ish weeks so I have plenty of time! (I hope...)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Birth and Beyond
Mothering › Mothering Forums › Pregnancy and Birth › Birth and Beyond › Cesarean support circle IV (October 16- )