or Connect
Mothering › Mothering Forums › Baby › Baby Health › Vaccinations › I'm Not Vaccinating › Help re. threats from my sister-in-law
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Help re. threats from my sister-in-law - Page 2

post #21 of 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by prettypixels View Post
Gently: Why not just take your little one for a thorough newborn exam? I personally find it is a great thing to have a relationship with a pediatrician for those times when you want to call in the middle of the night about something. Also, aside from Hep B, there are no newborn vaccines. <snip> I know there are a lot of horror stories about pediatricians around here, but there are also lots and lots of wonderful doctors out there. A good exam could give you peace of mind regarding whatever your child's condition may be, plus arm you against any possible intrusion by CPS.

I'm sorry, I just don't see how it could hurt just to go for an exam.

I agree completely with this.
post #22 of 31
My son was diagnosed with laryngeal malacia by an MD who basically shrugged and said "no reflux, no problem!" and that he would grow out of it.

Some babies are just loud breathers. I have two of them. I think you've covered your bases just fine.

P.S. He grew out of it.

P.P.S. Examinations by a licensed midwife and a naturopathic physician could hardly be characterized as medical neglect.

P.P.P.S. Congratulations on a happy and healthy birth! Enjoy your beautiful child.
post #23 of 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by Genesis View Post
Honestly, I would be kind of worried too if I was her. What does it hurt to have a good doctor check it out?
Seriously... What is wrong with the medical attention that this baby has already received? I trust an ND just as much as I do and MD... In fact a good friend of mine is an MD ND, and according to her, the ND was just as hard, and had just as much quality. They have both gone through medical school, passed exams, and work with patients!!!

You have in no way neglected your baby!

T
post #24 of 31
Another option would be to have her seen by a family practioner. They're typically much more open to nonvax than pediatricians.

If this lady or some other person calls CPS on you, it would be a million times easier if you could just produce records from a doctor visit. Curbside consults from friends aren't helpful in that way, because no official record of the visit exists.
post #25 of 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by blessed View Post
Another option would be to have her seen by a family practioner. They're typically much more open to nonvax than pediatricians.

If this lady or some other person calls CPS on you, it would be a million times easier if you could just produce records from a doctor visit. Curbside consults from friends aren't helpful in that way, because no official record of the visit exists.
That makes sense!!!

How about actually asking around to other parents who have not vaccinated, or ask your friends that are ND's to give you a referal to a Ped. or Dr. that wont say anything about it, and or harrass, and just be someone to check out your baby.

The only prob. I see with this, is routine questioning, and by law alerting the health dept. of your dec. I do believe they are supposed to do that.

I would look into it though. You seem to want to stay away from that as long as you can.

T
post #26 of 31
If CPS knocks on your door and says, "May I come in?" you say, "no thanks!" Unless they have very strong evidence -- strong enough to get a court order or a warrant -- they can't come in unless you let them. If they receive a complaint about you that they feel is credible they will investigate, but they will need your permission to enter your house.

You have had your LO examined by several medical personnel. You have educated yourself about her condition. You have thoroughly educated yourselves about vaccines and decided not to give them to your LO. And if CPS knocks on your door, you can offer to talk to them on the front porch.
post #27 of 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by blessed View Post
Another option would be to have her seen by a family practioner. They're typically much more open to nonvax than pediatricians.

If this lady or some other person calls CPS on you, it would be a million times easier if you could just produce records from a doctor visit. Curbside consults from friends aren't helpful in that way, because no official record of the visit exists.
I too agree with this. It is much more difficult to question a "mainstream" established record of care. I was genuinely concerned about this and took dd to the ped at four days for a nb exam, prepared to shoot down any vax business. We got a little flack from a nurse (who seemed altogether grouchy as a rule) but the doctor didn't even miss a beat...just wrote "homebirth with midwife" on her chart.

I'm curious as to why you'd want to avoid allopathic medicine altogether...is it because of the UC? Vaccine registry?

This is a general question, not necessarily directed at the OP. I'm genuinely wondering as I do feel there is a time and a place for MD care...I'm not *totally* against the medical establishment.

The vaccine registry is irritating though. Our ped has zero problem with no/delayed vaxxing - in fact doesn't even bring it up, no waivers, etc. Also recommends herbal tea vs. antibiotics...I was lucky to find him. I've still been getting reminder postcards from somewhere (state or county), though, I'm assuming as a result of the birth certificate business?

It was the bc business that led the state to us regarding the PKU, too. Which I tried to get at the ped but could only have done at the hospital...where I definitely didn't want to take my nb.

If my SIL or any family member was making threats about CPS, that would be the LAST time we talked. Period. I don't need people like that anywhere near my child.
post #28 of 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by Genesis View Post
Honestly, I would be kind of worried too if I was her. What does it hurt to have a good doctor check it out?

I was kind of wondering the same thing? Are you afraid a ped will force treatment on you?

I am an RN and have done peds but by no means am I in any way qualified to say what the "sound" is that the baby is making and I seriously doubt that any MW, RN (that isn't specialised in peds or neonates) or an ND would stand up in a room full of their peers and offer the same advice (They'd be completely out of their scope).

Why not get a qualified practitioner to check out the symptom? Then you can make a truly informed decision on what action (or not) to take.

FTR: I rarely take DS to the Dr. but sometimes it is necessary and I reserve the right to take the dr.'s advice or not.
post #29 of 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by blessed View Post
Another option would be to have her seen by a family practioner. They're typically much more open to nonvax than pediatricians.

If this lady or some other person calls CPS on you, it would be a million times easier if you could just produce records from a doctor visit. Curbside consults from friends aren't helpful in that way, because no official record of the visit exists.
I would do this, to establish an official record of medical care. Because blessed is absolutely right. Your friends who looked at the baby may be perfectly qualified and correct in their assessment. But despite that, you still have no official record confirming that everything is fine. I would get that record. It can't possibly hurt and it might come in handy.

And then I would never speak to SIL again.
post #30 of 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by zinemama View Post
I would do this, to establish an official record of medical care. Because blessed is absolutely right. Your friends who looked at the baby may be perfectly qualified and correct in their assessment. But despite that, you still have no official record confirming that everything is fine. I would get that record. It can't possibly hurt and it might come in handy.

And then I would never speak to SIL again.
Actually just thinking of it.....

If you have already had her checked by an ND... couldn't you ask one of them for an official record, or make an apt. with one of your friends. Given the situation, they may know someone who is an MD. ND

T
post #31 of 31
It seems like it may be helpful to seperate out the two issues. You are prepared and convicted about your vaccine decision. But that's really a different issue from having even a minor concern checked out from a ped. or FP. So, if it's nothing, what do you lose? Some gas money and some time, all to the reassurance that your dc is fine. On the off chance that there is something further to follow or look into, you're catching it earlier as opposed to later. And, you have a paper trail which your previous consults can't really give you.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: I'm Not Vaccinating
Mothering › Mothering Forums › Baby › Baby Health › Vaccinations › I'm Not Vaccinating › Help re. threats from my sister-in-law