or Connect
Mothering › Mothering Forums › Baby › Baby Health › Vaccinations › What do you do if you travel to third-world countries?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

What do you do if you travel to third-world countries?

post #1 of 13
Thread Starter 
First off, let me say this is not an attempted attack. I'm just curious and am honestly seeking information.

I'm new to the concept of non-vaxing, and as a world traveler (Europe, third-world Africa, and middle-east), I wonder what would you do if you were taking your DC to a third-world country? I mean, our daughter travels everywhere w/ us, and we've been in some pretty harsh conditions, definitely ones where diseases that she's been vaxed against are NOT obsolete and hospitals are bad.

Would you just not travel to these places? Or would you vaccinate based on what the risk is?
post #2 of 13
I would probably wait to travel with her until she is much older (10-11 years old?), and the vax for what is really necessary, maybe polio and mmr- thats what I would do.
My husbands family is from greece, and i wont even go there until my son is older becuase I have no idea what he can catch and I dont want him to be young and possibly more vulnerable.
post #3 of 13
We've been to cental american countries(Panama, Mexico, Dominican Republic) with ds and he's 3 1/2 and vax'd up till the age of 2. I do not worry at all. We also live in Mexico about 6 months out of the year. Have free range chickens and you name it all around us. The hospitals do scare me. However i have no fear of his lack of vax's. If we were to go to a country that has certain fevers or diseases i would think about getting vax'd as a family. Africa and parts of India. Again it would depend on where we are going too.
post #4 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsirris View Post
I would probably wait to travel with her until she is much older (10-11 years old?), and the vax for what is really necessary, maybe polio and mmr- thats what I would do.
My husbands family is from greece, and i wont even go there until my son is older becuase I have no idea what he can catch and I dont want him to be young and possibly more vulnerable.
what exactly would he catch in greece that he wouldn't get in the US?

http://www.who.int/vaccines/globalsu...cfm?C='grc'

http://wwwn.cdc.gov/travel/destinationGreece.aspx

we almost booked a vacation there this year. i'm not seeing any strange and unusual diseases...you know? it's not exactly a "risky" country.
post #5 of 13
I would have no concerns about traveling as long as we had access to clean food and water. And I would not travel with a young child where we did not- vax status would not be an issue.

-Angela
post #6 of 13
I would be more worried about intestinal parasites then from a VPD.
post #7 of 13
Thread Starter 
And the other thing I'm wondering is if she's been vaxed against something, how can I find out if that is the same "strain" as what's where I'm going? Is there anyway to know for sure?
post #8 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShwarmaQueen View Post
And the other thing I'm wondering is if she's been vaxed against something, how can I find out if that is the same "strain" as what's where I'm going? Is there anyway to know for sure?
That's going to depend totally on what diseases and vax you're talking about. In *theory* most vaxes should protect against any strain.

-Angela
post #9 of 13
we vaxed with our first until she was two, once with our second and we haven't been in yet with our third (not vaxxing).

That said, we would get some shots if we were traveling to countries that had a high incidence of disease, myself included. we wouldn't do it before five years old though...

As much as I'm against routine vaccinations, I do feel that they have there place, sometimes.

(flame away)
post #10 of 13
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by vegemamato View Post
As much as I'm against routine vaccinations, I do feel that they have there place, sometimes.

(flame away)
Thank you for admitting this. To be honest, yesterday was the first time I opened the Vaccinations forum since I joined MDC. Crazy, huh? I'm just good at avoiding things that will make me uncomfortable, especially since I've vaxed my DD so far. But I think I fall into the catagory of sorta needing some for my DD and future DC's b/c of where we have to travel (for dh fam) and unfortunately, the young age thing cannot be compromised.

I want to cover all the basis; how would you decide which ones?
post #11 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShwarmaQueen View Post
Thank you for admitting this. To be honest, yesterday was the first time I opened the Vaccinations forum since I joined MDC. Crazy, huh? I'm just good at avoiding things that will make me uncomfortable, especially since I've vaxed my DD so far. But I think I fall into the catagory of sorta needing some for my DD and future DC's b/c of where we have to travel (for dh fam) and unfortunately, the young age thing cannot be compromised.

I want to cover all the basis; how would you decide which ones?
I would consider some depending on plans and such.

I would decide by looking at what diseases are prevalent where I'm going, how they're transmitted, if I'm comfortable treating them and if I'm comfortable with the risk/benefit from the vaccines.

-Angela
post #12 of 13
Thread Starter 
Does anyone know where to find diseases that are still active in foreign countries?
post #13 of 13
My DD has been vaxed on schedule up till now (she's 10 mo). She's due for her 12 mo shots, but I'm planning to delay them all (I can to the whole delayed/selected vax thing late, otherwise I would not have followed the schedule). Anyway, I took her with me to India & Nepal in May (she was 8.5 mo) and I didn't do anything special re: meds or vax. She is still BFing (along with solids) and she was fine! Check the CDC Travelers Health site for disease risks in specific countries: http://wwwn.cdc.gov/travel/default.aspx
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Vaccinations
Mothering › Mothering Forums › Baby › Baby Health › Vaccinations › What do you do if you travel to third-world countries?