or Connect
Mothering › Mothering Forums › Mom › Parenting › Anyone else fear CPS?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Anyone else fear CPS? - Page 2

post #21 of 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by 32bolt View Post
Yes I fear CPS because we have had the unfortunate experience of having someone in our neighborhood call and report us to them, not once but twice. It is a horrifying and humiliating experience. I dont fear them in the sense that I have done anything wrong and don't want to get caught but I fear what they can do to families. It was nothing really serious and once the social worker came and went through everything she closed the case because the information was unfounded and no wrongdoing was found. Then just as we were getting over the shock of it and moving on I get another phone call from the social worker with the bad news that someone called on us again! I started crying immediately saying that this was very unfair to us and asked if it was the same person. Of course she could not tell me that (and I do not know who did it the first time) and reminded me that they do take note if its the same person calling in each time. So she has to come out again and again it will be closed because we did absolutely nothing wrong and we know it and have nothing to hide. Yet it still is a painful thing to have your parenting skills questioned to that extreme. We just moved into this neighborhood in March and our children are 7 and 3. I fear how much this can happen to us and how much we can endure as it is such a horrific thing for us to go through. We wonder what recourse we have and what we can do to protect ourselves from this other than completely shut ourselves off from people in the neighborhood. In my heart I believe it is an overzealous person or someone who just has it out for us. But it is very disheartening when it is so uncalled for. So it is a very real fear that will always be in the back of my mind whenever my kids play outside, get hurt or anything they say that could get misconstrued by the wrong person. I myself am a mandatory reporter and I would be very careful with anything I ever reported. It would have to be so blatent and obvious and fall into the category of neglect or abuse or risk to the child. I would never report on anything I heard from a 2nd or 3rd party that I myself did not hear or witness or my child was not involved in.

I had the same thing happen to me because of my husband which is why I left him.....it is terribly embarrassing that is for sure. In his case, he is guilty of stupid parenting. The first time, I had to go to the emergency room because of hyperemesis (I am now 8 months pregnant) and while I was in the e.r....there was an incident. Dd1 tried to run into traffic and he actually grabbed her by the hair to pull her back to safety....and yelled at her....a lady saw him yelling but didnt know she ran into traffic and he made the bad decision to yell at her too so she called CPS. I gave him hell for it ( I am the primary caregiver and I had her try to run into traffic one time and I had to pull her back....needless to say it was not by the hair). The next time CPS actually told us the person was wrong to call them but they have to automatically investigate which I understand but is still embarrassing. We were at the YMCA to take the kids swimming (I was just watching outside since I cant go in the water) and he did a stupid thing I told him for 4 years not to do....he lifted (mind you it was gentle but u just dont do it) dd2 by one arm to move her from his left side to his right side not in anger but slowly so the lifeguards reported him to CPS. I should also add that they were already ticked off because they had to keep reminding him to stay in the same pool with both daughters. I talked to CPS about it (thankfully they came to me alone but are going to visit him on Monday to see him apparently) and told them some of the irresponsible things he has done:

1. Leave dd1 in supermarket toy section alone while he shops
2. Tried to leave them alone outside to play in backyard close to traffic with no supevision
3. Tried to go without car seat

The list goes on....Needless to say none of the above things happen because I put my foot down when I found out and I never left them alone with him. You should be able to leave your children safely with your husband kwim? I left because he was refusing to meet with CPS which u just dont do. All they want to suggest to him is maybe a parenting course for him. I just left because I am afraid they will try to take my children from me even though they have been called about his behavior...I am still his wife kwim?.........even though they seem to think the problem is him and it is not an abuse situation but very bad parenting skills. So yeah, I am afraid of CPS now though I know on my own there will be no problems.
post #22 of 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by mammal_mama View Post
By "mandated reporter" -- does that just mean that you call it in anytime you suspect a child is being abused or neglected? Or does it mean something more sinister?
Every job I've worked as a nurse has required me to be a mandated reporter. I've signed a statement that I have been informed on what constitutes abuse/neglect and what steps I have to take to report suspected abuse. I work primarily with adults/geriatrics so I'm mostly trained on what abuse/neglect looks like in those population. If I see something that I suspect is abuse I am required to report it. Usually the ER catches things before they get to me though.

On topic: I know plenty of family docs and pediatricians that have the whole "if they aren't scraped and bruised they aren't really being a kid" mentality (obviously within reason).
post #23 of 71
to 32bold and veronicalynne! I hope it's all over soon!
post #24 of 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by not now View Post
Every job I've worked as a nurse has required me to be a mandated reporter. I've signed a statement that I have been informed on what constitutes abuse/neglect and what steps I have to take to report suspected abuse. I work primarily with adults/geriatrics so I'm mostly trained on what abuse/neglect looks like in those population. If I see something that I suspect is abuse I am required to report it. Usually the ER catches things before they get to me though.

On topic: I know plenty of family docs and pediatricians that have the whole "if they aren't scraped and bruised they aren't really being a kid" mentality (obviously within reason).
Yeah, I'm wondering if the CPS-worker who did the training for child-care staff, was being such a butt because she didn't perceive us as "educated" enough to know when to be suspicious and when a bruise was no big deal.

Plus it was mid-80's, and from what I've heard, this was a time-period when people were suddenly becoming aware of the prevalence of abuse, and how seemingly-"nice" people are often secretly beating and molesting their children "behind closed doors" (I sometimes hear a carry-over of that on parenting message-boards, when people talk about the stressed-out mama screaming at her kids in the grocery store parking-lot, and say, "If she acts like that out in public, who knows what she does at home "behind closed doors?!").

Anyhow, a few years' back I read an article about a young woman, who was imprisoned for several years because a boy in the daycare she'd worked in told his doctor she'd done something to his bottom, and the doctor thought she'd taken a rectal temperature -- which she said she'd never done, she was never sure what the child was getting at, but anyhow it turned into her greatest nightmare, as she got convicted of child sexual abuse and locked up.

But then a law student was looking into old cases, and got interested in hers because of how she got convicted with so little evidence (similar, I guess, to many cases from that time-period). He represented her and I think got a re-trial, where her conviction was overturned and she was released. In the meantime, the two of them had fallen in love and so they got married. I wish I could remember their names so I could see how they're doing now.

I know that when I worked in childcare, there were occasionally men who loved working with small children -- but they always had to get a female teacher to handle toileting and diaper-changes, I guess because of the greater likelihood of them getting accused of wrongdoing. But, judging from the above case, I guess female childcare workers who assist with toileting, aren't always immune from such accusations.

At one preschool where I worked at 19, one of the teachers expressed great concern that I was showing too much affection to the children, which she thought could be "misconstrued." But, apart from that one situation, at every other place where I worked it was seen as a plus that I was so affectionate.
post #25 of 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by mammal_mama View Post
to 32bold and veronicalynne! I hope it's all over soon!
Thanks for the support. It has been so hard and embarrassing not to mention stressful. I mean, they were called because of my husbands stupid parenting behavior but I feel judged too.
post #26 of 71
i am scared to death of CPS being called on us again. i have 4 boys, with varying degrees of special needs. the first time was at our old house. i suspect it was the school, b/c it was right after a home visit from the special ed teacher. i had been sick, 2 of the kids sick, dh was working doubles, and i had a new baby. the house was a disaster. a few days later the guy from cps showed up and said that they had a report of "child neglect and unsanitary living conditions". i was completely shocked. yeah, dishes in the sink, toys on the floor, a weeks worth of laundry not done, a couple pop cans on the end table, that kind of thing. it certainly wasn't layers of filth! the guy was a real hard a$$ too, telling me that i had a week to get it together or he was going to come back and take my kids from me. the door closed behind him and i had hysterics. literally. i nearly fainted. i called every friend and family member i had and we worked our tails off. you could have licked the floor by the time he came back. i also got signed letters from the county home visitor, the kids doctors, and the in-home therapists, that they had never seen any signs of neglect or abuse. he came back, poked around a bit, and told me i was free and clear

a few months later, here comes CPS again. same charges. different worker, just as tough as the first one. at this point, we were starting to pack and move, so, once again, it was a disaster. again, not dirty, just stuff not in place, y'know? this time, however, she said something about ds#3 not being potty trained as evidence of "neglect". he was only 3 and he's autistic fer cryin' out loud!! even my most "typical" boy was only potty trained just after he turned 4! same basic thing, "get it cleaned up, i'll be visiting you at the new place", etc. ok, all sorted out, she came back, poked around, told us all was closed and done.

at the end of last summer, i sent my then-6yo ds with his older brother to a church day camp thing. this ds is also on the autism spectrum. he says random things that don't make any sense, quotes from movies, etc. he goes to the camp and announces "my mommy and daddy tie me up in my room at night!" oh.my.god. the same social worker came back and she landed on us like a ton of bricks. interviewed the kids at school, contacted their dr's and therapists, interviewed their teachers... i really and truly thought i was going to lose my children. she finally acknowledged that we are not the horrible people she came in thinking that we were and stopped harassing us. i have never been so scared in my life.

my point to all this is that now, if one of the kids is hurt, or i lose my temper and yell, or one of my boys on the spectrum runs away from me or screams something that is not child-appropriate, i live in fear for days. none of the accusations had any real basis in fact (other than a messy house), and i am terrified that this will happen again. i really, truly am.

the other day, my youngest son broke his front tooth by jumping off of my bed. even tho i knew they wouldn't do anything at the clinic, i took him in b/c i wanted to be sure that it was documented. i hate feeling like i'm waiting for the other shoe to drop all the time. i saw the social worker here at the complex a few weeks ago, as i was leaving, and i called my dh and told him and he ran around and swept the floor and made sure the kids were all dressed and everything, just in case. i hate this feeling.

anyway, sorry for the long ramble, i hope somewhere in there was the thought that "i hope things go better for everyone else than they have for me" or something like that. good grief, it's 5am?? no wonder i'm babbling!
post #27 of 71
damona, It's experiences like yours that make me think social workers must have too much time on their hands, to be giving someone such a hard time about a messy house.

My 3yo still wears diapers, too. She sometimes uses the potty, and seems to be quite good at sensing when she needs to go, 'cause she'll sometimes announce what she's about to do. But for some reason, she still usually prefers going in her diapers, and I don't see a reason to turn it into a struggle. I feel confident that she'll eventually want to use the potty like other kids her age are doing.

But right now, she also wants to be called "Baby" instead of her given name -- so I think she's just more in a phase of wanting to identify herself as the baby, and she's not so much identifying with other kids her age yet. I don't see it as a problem, and when the doctor asked me about the potty-training, I just told her she goes sometimes but doesn't always want to, and still wants to wear a diaper. And the doctor was okay about it.

But I know what you mean, about always wondering how it's going to be perceived, if your child diverges from the "norm" in some way.
post #28 of 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by damona View Post
i am scared to death of CPS being called on us again. i have 4 boys, with varying degrees of special needs. the first time was at our old house. i suspect it was the school, b/c it was right after a home visit from the special ed teacher. i had been sick, 2 of the kids sick, dh was working doubles, and i had a new baby. the house was a disaster. a few days later the guy from cps showed up and said that they had a report of "child neglect and unsanitary living conditions". i was completely shocked. yeah, dishes in the sink, toys on the floor, a weeks worth of laundry not done, a couple pop cans on the end table, that kind of thing. it certainly wasn't layers of filth! the guy was a real hard a$$ too, telling me that i had a week to get it together or he was going to come back and take my kids from me. the door closed behind him and i had hysterics. literally. i nearly fainted. i called every friend and family member i had and we worked our tails off. you could have licked the floor by the time he came back. i also got signed letters from the county home visitor, the kids doctors, and the in-home therapists, that they had never seen any signs of neglect or abuse. he came back, poked around a bit, and told me i was free and clear

a few months later, here comes CPS again. same charges. different worker, just as tough as the first one. at this point, we were starting to pack and move, so, once again, it was a disaster. again, not dirty, just stuff not in place, y'know? this time, however, she said something about ds#3 not being potty trained as evidence of "neglect". he was only 3 and he's autistic fer cryin' out loud!! even my most "typical" boy was only potty trained just after he turned 4! same basic thing, "get it cleaned up, i'll be visiting you at the new place", etc. ok, all sorted out, she came back, poked around, told us all was closed and done.

at the end of last summer, i sent my then-6yo ds with his older brother to a church day camp thing. this ds is also on the autism spectrum. he says random things that don't make any sense, quotes from movies, etc. he goes to the camp and announces "my mommy and daddy tie me up in my room at night!" oh.my.god. the same social worker came back and she landed on us like a ton of bricks. interviewed the kids at school, contacted their dr's and therapists, interviewed their teachers... i really and truly thought i was going to lose my children. she finally acknowledged that we are not the horrible people she came in thinking that we were and stopped harassing us. i have never been so scared in my life.

my point to all this is that now, if one of the kids is hurt, or i lose my temper and yell, or one of my boys on the spectrum runs away from me or screams something that is not child-appropriate, i live in fear for days. none of the accusations had any real basis in fact (other than a messy house), and i am terrified that this will happen again. i really, truly am.

the other day, my youngest son broke his front tooth by jumping off of my bed. even tho i knew they wouldn't do anything at the clinic, i took him in b/c i wanted to be sure that it was documented. i hate feeling like i'm waiting for the other shoe to drop all the time. i saw the social worker here at the complex a few weeks ago, as i was leaving, and i called my dh and told him and he ran around and swept the floor and made sure the kids were all dressed and everything, just in case. i hate this feeling.

anyway, sorry for the long ramble, i hope somewhere in there was the thought that "i hope things go better for everyone else than they have for me" or something like that. good grief, it's 5am?? no wonder i'm babbling!

As another pp said, they must have too much time on their hands....and seem to like abusing their power. They would have been horrified at my house then....I had hyperemesis and was in and out of the hospital 6 times in 2 months and dh was overwhelmed by the kids and household duties. We had CPS come to our house because dh lifted dd2 by one arm to move her to his other side (not in anger but it is wrong to lift that way), he kept trying to go to the other pool leaving dd1 alone (he thought she was safe with just the floater arm things...again wrong as i tried to tell him), and because he didnt run to pick dd2 up fast enough for them. I am in the process of lodging a formal complaint because I feel the ymca went too far when they asked me out of the blue if I was abused.
CPS also thought they were out of line calling but had to investigate. They saw my house....carpet not vacuumed and kitchen floor disgusting....I explained I am 8 months pregnant and they understood. One is supposed to come back on the 30 to speak to my husband.....we had agreed that he needs a parenting course. Sounds like you had really nasty extreme ones visit you....i was nervous enough and threw up after they left....I cant imagine my reaction if they had treated me like they did you: Btw, I was impressed when I read your post...you have alot on your plate looking after special needs children. I think that is great
post #29 of 71
I'm very sorry to hear about families being harassed for trivial reasons. I'm sure I would be terrified, too.

However, I don't think in general social workers have too much time on their hands. I think it's the reverse. They are overworked and underpaid. They see horrible things in their line of work. Of course they're going to get jaded and be suspicious of everything. I can't imagine doing such a tough job, myself. That doesn't excuse them from being nasty and horrible, of course. But I think that attitude comes from stress, time-constraints, and fear that they will miss something that will result in a child dying. How many of us work in a job where the decisions we make will ultimately determine whether a child lives or dies, or whether a child is abused or emotionally traumatized from being taken from their parents? It makes my stomach hurt just thinking of the responsibility.

Of course, in any situation you can run across someone on a power trip who is just trying to throw their weight around. And when they really DO have power over you and your children, that is truly terrifying.
post #30 of 71
I would have a good family doc. To make you feel a little better, my husband and his mom were on a first name basis with the er. He even "shot" himself in the leg with a bullet and a hammer when she was at work!!! This of course was reported in the newspaper! She had a good understanding family doc. Not a ped.
post #31 of 71
honeybee, I see your point -- but with children dying of abuse, it's hard to understand workers getting all bent out of shape just because someone has a messy house, or a child still wears a diaper.

And with the diaper-thing, I'd be more concerned about a parent determined to have a child trained by a certain age, than I would about a totally relaxed parent who's not pushing it, and is cool with the child doing it at his own pace.

The first situation seems way more conducive to a parent getting stressed and becoming abusive -- so in a way a CPS worker who pressures parents about toilet-training may be indirectly promoting abuse.
post #32 of 71
I don't know what really triggers CPS. However, I'm sure that ER docs see lots and lots and lots of average, everyday childhood accidents, and you do not have the *only* clumsy or daredevil child in the world. It's summer, kids are out on bikes and skateboards and even tripping over their Crocs all the time, it's just part of normal childhood.


I'm sorry though for the stress it takes out on you! We had our first ER visit a month ago and it was so scary and stressful.

I have worried about CPS when Johnny was younger and I have called Poison control multiple times for things he had gotten into. Nothing terribly serious but still -- an air freshener / glade plug in thing, a mr. clean magic eraser, toothpaste, I can't remember the others.

I think that neighbors or family calling is the worst one and frankly triggers the most problems. A friend's husband called the police on some kids who were doing something dangerous and reckless in their neighborhood, I can't remember what it was but it had the potential for property damage to the neighbors house and it was probably borderline whether he should have called the cops or gone out and handled it himself, but calling the cops was not a *bad* thing.... but..... CPS ended up coming and investigating the family(ies) after the police report, interviewed the kids and all that. Nothing came of it, but still I think any investigation like that is stressful.

I don't live in fear of CPS though. But we have stable family and reasonable neighbors and no one is out to get us. If I had bad relationships with neighbors or family I would be concerned, but what can you do to prevent it? Only so much.
post #33 of 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by mammal_mama View Post
honeybee, I see your point -- but with children dying of abuse, it's hard to understand workers getting all bent out of shape just because someone has a messy house, or a child still wears a diaper.

And with the diaper-thing, I'd be more concerned about a parent determined to have a child trained by a certain age, than I would about a totally relaxed parent who's not pushing it, and is cool with the child doing it at his own pace.

The first situation seems way more conducive to a parent getting stressed and becoming abusive -- so in a way a CPS worker who pressures parents about toilet-training may be indirectly promoting abuse.
I don't know. If a CPS worker complained about my 3 year old being in diapers, I'd pull out my toilet learning books and refer them to the sections about going with the flow. I'd also pull up the Medical College of Wisconsin research that shows the average ages for potty learning and they're right at 3 years, but that's average, some kids take longer. I'd also give them our pediatrician's phone number to talk to, or I'd have my pediatrician call them to back me up.

If a CPS worker came in our house at this moment, it's a big mess. I'm doing the new baby's room and there is junk and toys in our living room. I grocery shopped this morning and some of the non-fridge items are still out, there are dishes in the sink, etc.

But, I would most definitely stand up for myself and my family and the way we live. Seriously my kids have strong immune systems built on my messy house (and playing in mud puddles). And I have a housecleaner that comes every 2 weeks. I could show them the receipts -- our house still gets messy and that's just life.

I can certainly see a social worker making comments about the mess, but threatening to remove kids for a mess is way out of proportion, unless there are other, bigger signs of abuse in play.
post #34 of 71
Thread Starter 
CPS has WAY too much power IMO...it seems like they go all gung ho over the silliest stuff but let cases of TRUE abuse slip through the cracks (Shelby Duis comes to mind...)

Well since his accidents tend to come every 6 months at least we're clear for a while.
post #35 of 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesMama View Post
CPS has WAY too much power IMO...it seems like they go all gung ho over the silliest stuff but let cases of TRUE abuse slip through the cracks (Shelby Duis comes to mind...)

Well since his accidents tend to come every 6 months at least we're clear for a while.
This is true. I've also heard that some workers can be very critical and demeaning about non-mainstream parenting practices, especially co-sleeping, CLW, and occasionally no-vaxing. I get concerned because I'm really young and disabled due to a chronic illness, and my husband has major depression issues and isn't capable of making the kind of money I could make due to lack of education, so we are poor and living on sec. 8. My house is often messy because I simply don't have the energy to clean it all the time, although it isn't unsanitary and certainly doesn't have piles of filth covering it. Both of my girls are very active and have bruises on them from playing outside and falling off playground equipment and their bikes. Recently my youngest, who is a very intense child, was having an enormous temper tantrum and threw herself into the coffee table while thrashing around, resulting in a scratch and bruise on her throat!! I freaked out a little bit when I saw that, you know? I feel like I already have so much that CPS would frown at, even though I didn't do anything wrong.
post #36 of 71
I am... I took the baby to the doctor today and she has a bruise on her cheek (from running into a wall - she's 15 months). He didn't mention it, but he did strip her completely and checked EVERYWHERE. The only other bruise she had was on her knee. So, now I'm freaking out that CPS will show up on my door for having a bruised baby.
post #37 of 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by mammal_mama View Post
honeybee, I see your point -- but with children dying of abuse, it's hard to understand workers getting all bent out of shape just because someone has a messy house, or a child still wears a diaper.

And with the diaper-thing, I'd be more concerned about a parent determined to have a child trained by a certain age, than I would about a totally relaxed parent who's not pushing it, and is cool with the child doing it at his own pace.

The first situation seems way more conducive to a parent getting stressed and becoming abusive -- so in a way a CPS worker who pressures parents about toilet-training may be indirectly promoting abuse.
I agree, that worker was way over the top, and I totally don't get the potty training thing. My 4.5 year old is still having accidents. And my house is pretty messy. If we got an unexpected visit, I would not be letting anyone in my house without a warrant... and then I would clean, clean, clean before they came back. I think this worker was definitely abusing his power.

I was more objecting to the generalization that most sw have all this time on their hands, or that as a rule they're out to get families. It's a low-paid, high-stress job and I can see how it could break a person down so they start seeing abuse everywhere.
post #38 of 71
As a kid that grew up in a very abusive home...I guess I have a differing veiw of CPS and the system. Most of the workers and investigators have seen some horrific stuff...I can't imagin anyone not being hardend by that. They are usually way over worked, handling up to 30 families at a time, working 12 hour shifts, and getting crapy pay...not to mention that many start to bond and really care for the kids under their care. My social worker and I bonded, and I remember the night that I ran away from my foster parents...she was up all night looking for me too....and she had a family at home to care about, and dozens of other kid she had to think about. Alot of them see the familes taht look perfect from the outside, but then find the horrific truths....my family looked very perfect from the outside. No one would have ever beleived that my step dad was extreamly abusive. I do know that people who have done no wrong get investigated...and that it really shakes the parents and the family....but I also remeber all the foster kids that my foster parents cared for...several which we picked up from the hospital after being beaten. Alot of those kids came from "normal" looking familes. Alot of times the abuse isn't obvious.

It may seem that they do alot of harm.....but I would rather them investigate an inocennt family, then turn a blind eye to possible abuse. Alot of abuse happens under the illusion of a "perfect" family. Its a broken and over worked system...but they do protect and rescue alot of kids. I would be dead without the intervention of CPS, several of my foster siblings would have died at the hands of their parents had it not been for the intervention of CPS.

Yes the system need works...on both ends. I've seen familes investigated for really dumb things....but then I also had to watch my foster parents go through the hell of handing a 12 mo old baby back to her birth mother, only for that baby to end up in the hospital and back in states custody less then 2 mo later...then to have to hand her back again 3 yrs just to havt to pick her up again from the hosptial 6 mo later.

It would be great if CPS didn't have to do their job at all...but unfortunetly that is not the world we live in.
post #39 of 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by daughteroftruth View Post
As a kid that grew up in a very abusive home...I guess I have a differing veiw of CPS and the system. Most of the workers and investigators have seen some horrific stuff...I can't imagin anyone not being hardend by that. They are usually way over worked, handling up to 30 families at a time, working 12 hour shifts, and getting crapy pay...not to mention that many start to bond and really care for the kids under their care. My social worker and I bonded, and I remember the night that I ran away from my foster parents...she was up all night looking for me too....and she had a family at home to care about, and dozens of other kid she had to think about. Alot of them see the familes taht look perfect from the outside, but then find the horrific truths....my family looked very perfect from the outside. No one would have ever beleived that my step dad was extreamly abusive. I do know that people who have done no wrong get investigated...and that it really shakes the parents and the family....but I also remeber all the foster kids that my foster parents cared for...several which we picked up from the hospital after being beaten. Alot of those kids came from "normal" looking familes. Alot of times the abuse isn't obvious.

It may seem that they do alot of harm.....but I would rather them investigate an inocennt family, then turn a blind eye to possible abuse. Alot of abuse happens under the illusion of a "perfect" family. Its a broken and over worked system...but they do protect and rescue alot of kids. I would be dead without the intervention of CPS, several of my foster siblings would have died at the hands of their parents had it not been for the intervention of CPS.

Yes the system need works...on both ends. I've seen familes investigated for really dumb things....but then I also had to watch my foster parents go through the hell of handing a 12 mo old baby back to her birth mother, only for that baby to end up in the hospital and back in states custody less then 2 mo later...then to have to hand her back again 3 yrs just to havt to pick her up again from the hosptial 6 mo later.

It would be great if CPS didn't have to do their job at all...but unfortunetly that is not the world we live in.


Excellent post. And so true. I used to work with CPS workers (not for them, with them - we crossed paths). Most of them were incredibly loving and patient individuals. They WANTED children to be able to stay with their families.

I don't know where people think that having some dirty dishes in the sink or not vaxing will get your kids taken away. Unless there is something else going on, these things are not a factor.
post #40 of 71
it stinks when its not founded, but so many times they also dont take serious complaints seriously...
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Parenting
Mothering › Mothering Forums › Mom › Parenting › Anyone else fear CPS?