or Connect
Mothering › Mothering Forums › Natural Living › The Mindful Home › Arts & Crafts › Books, Music, and Media › TV-Free › So disappointed and irritated!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

So disappointed and irritated!

post #1 of 9
Thread Starter 
I am so disappointed in my favorite parenting magazine, Junior.

I love this magazine and agree with most of the parenting philosophy behind it.
There are advice sections where people write in questions relating to certain areas.
The last issue I read had a question in the "Development" section. A parent had written that they had been reading up on TV for young children and was wondering if it was "too extreme" for her to cut out all TV for her 6 year old.

Well, I was shocked to read the answer where the psychologist wrote that she shouldn't cut out TV! Why?
Because she would make her child a social misfit. OK, I am paraphrasing but she suggested that the child wouldn't be able to function socially because everyone else would be talking about TV. To be fair she did suggest limiting time to 4 hours a week and watching with the child.

UGH! Now, I wouldn't personally try to convince someone who was very attached to their TV to switch off completely, to each their own. However, someone who is already willing and considering it should be encouraged!

Just needed to rant about that.
post #2 of 9
The "but they won't fit in!!!" argument has always seemed especially weak to me. What about when all their friends are talking about drugs, and trying to score? Will you be handing them weed and a c-note for a hooker? Please.
post #3 of 9
ick
post #4 of 9
I think it's letter-to-the-editor time. Seriously. I'm not familiar with the magazine, but if you subscribe you should definitely send in a letter with your views. Maybe even write to the psychologist directly, also. It couldn't hurt and it might be interesting if you get a response.
post #5 of 9
I don't know if it's good for kids to "fit in"

If we all "fit in" we'd be on the CIO, non co-sleeping, TV is our baby sitter, organic is for hippies and pushing babies is for common people website.

I do many things against the "norm" and I'm teaching my kids that is fine and if anything can be a good thing
post #6 of 9
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arwyn View Post
The "but they won't fit in!!!" argument has always seemed especially weak to me. What about when all their friends are talking about drugs, and trying to score? Will you be handing them weed and a c-note for a hooker? Please.
This was what I was thinking as well. That and the fact that I am an expat, this is my fourth country. I certainly haven't had any problem finding common ground with other people no matter where I have lived even though we didn't have a similar TV background. It was the same when I was a child. Also, my own child is hardly a social outcast and in fact I am having a hard time juggling all her damn social engagements!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by homefrontgirl View Post
I think it's letter-to-the-editor time. Seriously. I'm not familiar with the magazine, but if you subscribe you should definitely send in a letter with your views. Maybe even write to the psychologist directly, also. It couldn't hurt and it might be interesting if you get a response.
Yes, I have been composing it mentally for a while now!

Anyone got any good suggestions for a rebuttal?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Britishmama View Post
I don't know if it's good for kids to "fit in"

If we all "fit in" we'd be on the CIO, non co-sleeping, TV is our baby sitter, organic is for hippies and pushing babies is for common people website.

I do many things against the "norm" and I'm teaching my kids that is fine and if anything can be a good thing
LOL, excellent points.

This is technically a mainstream magazine but it is also very open minded and intelligent.
Yeah, definitely letter time.
post #7 of 9
I have never understood the fitting in argument. It's just so lacking in substance.
post #8 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by earthgirl View Post
I have never understood the fitting in argument. It's just so lacking in substance.
It has somewhat the same feel as the "looking like daddy" argument for circing.
post #9 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grylliade View Post
It has somewhat the same feel as the "looking like daddy" argument for circing.
Yep, you're right.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: TV-Free
Mothering › Mothering Forums › Natural Living › The Mindful Home › Arts & Crafts › Books, Music, and Media › TV-Free › So disappointed and irritated!