or Connect
Mothering › Mothering Forums › Pregnancy and Birth › Fertility › Family Planning › Charting to Avoid August Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Charting to Avoid August Thread - Page 9

post #161 of 271
Just wanted to say I'm still here. My chart is looking very irregular because I was camping last week (and forgot my thermometer), and I wake up at random times since it's summer and I'm not working (that will change in 2 weeks--I'm a teacher).

Also, I traveled to Europe last month and the time change was fine. I just kept temping as best I could, and luckily my cycle was at a good stage so I could clearly tell when I O'd before coming home and messing everything up again.

Feels good to be on my 9th chart since AF returned in January. So far so good! I've learned so much about my body and I love not having artificial hormones messing with me.
post #162 of 271
Quote:
Originally Posted by SwanMom View Post
I've learned so much about my body and I love not having artificial hormones messing with me.
Me, too! After all of those years of taking a bc pill at the same time each day, it feels weird not taking it! But I love it!!
post #163 of 271
Well, I removed my manual override of O on CD 14 and coverline of 97.7. FF gave me dotted crosshairs with O on CD 18 and coverline of 97.9. Hmmm. I really feel like O was on CD 13 or 14 though. Either way. . .still waiting to find out if I goofed this cycle.
post #164 of 271
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by sundaygirl View Post
Well, I removed my manual override of O on CD 14 and coverline of 97.7. FF gave me dotted crosshairs with O on CD 18 and coverline of 97.9. Hmmm. I really feel like O was on CD 13 or 14 though. Either way. . .still waiting to find out if I goofed this cycle.
It's still hard to tell. Your O is not sure so you'll have to continue to be cautious. The only way to confirm and pinpoint O is with temps. CM only tells you when you are potentially fertile. Although it is true that most women most of the time will have the most fertile cm the day of or the day before O with a thermal shift the day after O, cm isn't always that clear. That's why you need to rely on a thermal shift to be sure you are in your lp and safe from getting pregnant.

On that note, I was reading TCOYF again. It says a thermal shift occurs when your temp rises at least 0.2 degrees higher than the highest of the previous 6 temps and stays above your CL for at least 3 consecutive days. Your CL would be 0.1 degree above the highest of the previous 6 temps. There seem to be a lot of people that use other criteria for determining the thermal shift and the CL. For example, I've read that a thermal shift occurs when your temp rises at least 0.4 degrees higher than the previous day's temp. FF doesn't always seem to follow those rules.

What do you all do? Do you follow those rules strictly or do you modify them a bit based on what you know about your own cycles and temps?
post #165 of 271
FF is notorious for not accurately following FAM rules in regards to when ovulation actually occurs. I think it is in part because it's only there for TTC, not TTA. If I did my charts on FF and didn't know charting really well, I'm sure I'd be pregnant several times over (not having regular cycles).

I absolutely follow the TCOYF rules. One temp of .4 over your CL could be ANYTHING.
post #166 of 271
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sk8ermaiden View Post
FF is notorious for not accurately following FAM rules in regards to when ovulation actually occurs. I think it is in part because it's only there for TTC, not TTA. If I did my charts on FF and didn't know charting really well, I'm sure I'd be pregnant several times over (not having regular cycles).

I absolutely follow the TCOYF rules. One temp of .4 over your CL could be ANYTHING.
Yeah, I agree. I have always followed the thermal shift rule with temps above a CL set 0.1 degree higher than the highest of the previous 6 temps. I rarely use the ROT. I think FF uses the ROT too much and puts too much weight on cm.

FF isn't great for ttc, either. I'd see many, many charts where women would stop dtd too early because FF said they Oed when it wasn't clear. Then they'd have their hearts broken and wonder why they weren't pregnant yet.

Here's another I read that I had forgotten. I think it came up on here recently. When taking your temp, it's more important to take it after 3 hours of consecutive sleep than taking it at the same time. The example given is if you usually take your temp at 8 am but wake at 6 am to use the bathroom, you should take and record your 6 am temp because the 8 am temp will be inaccurate because you've had less than 3 hours of sleep. As far as taking it at the same time, it only needs to be within the same hour, if that makes sense. I think, though, that's all based on that not happening very often. TCOYF does say it's ok to sleep in on the weekends.
post #167 of 271
Yeah, it's much more important to take it after the same # of hours of sleep. The time doesn't seem to matter THAT much. It doesn't appear to matter at all for me.
post #168 of 271
Hey all! I'm coming back to this thread after a long absence. I think my cycles are finally starting to resume. Our youngest son is 14.5 months and I've had two cycles now. I'm not temping at the moment, my CF has been pretty clear. I'd like to start in the future though- third phase/LP is the only time we truly relax and don't worry about BD'ing. Right now since I'm still in the transition to full fertility, my LP is super, super short.

Here's my chart:
http://www.fertilityfriend.com/home/43357

Oh, and I also teach the sympto-thermal method, so I'm happy to help. I'm not online much but I love that there's a big thread for NFP/FAM users here.
post #169 of 271
So this is my first month charting and I had a m/c in June... so I know that things probably are irregular in my cycle this month (last month was 36 days) but am I really infertile now? I felt some OP twice this cycle but more strongly CD 21. but each day when I chart it says infertile but moves the previous days from infertile to fertile
Also I am still bfing ds but he's two so only about 2 to 3 times daily.
Any thoughts? Thanks mamas!
post #170 of 271
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by chi_mama View Post
So this is my first month charting and I had a m/c in June... so I know that things probably are irregular in my cycle this month (last month was 36 days) but am I really infertile now? I felt some OP twice this cycle but more strongly CD 21. but each day when I chart it says infertile but moves the previous days from infertile to fertile
Also I am still bfing ds but he's two so only about 2 to 3 times daily.
Any thoughts? Thanks mamas!
Sorry about your m/c. It looks like Ovusoft thinks you might've Oed yesterday, in which case you would be infertile now. However, you can't know that for sure for at least 2 more days so you should act as if you are still fertile.
post #171 of 271
Quote:
Originally Posted by bridetobe2008 View Post
First month charting
I'm sure you will have a great time getting to know your cycles.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwanMom View Post
Just wanted to say I'm still here.
Feels good to be on my 9th chart since AF returned in January. So far so good! I've learned so much about my body and I love not having artificial hormones messing with me.
I'm glad you are getting some regular cycles. It must be nice to see it on paper month after month.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sundaygirl View Post
Well, I removed my manual override of O on CD 14 and coverline of 97.7. FF gave me dotted crosshairs with O on CD 18 and coverline of 97.9. Hmmm. I really feel like O was on CD 13 or 14 though. Either way. . .still waiting to find out if I goofed this cycle.
hmmm it could still go either way since you DTD unprotected a few times in the fertile time. How do you feel about a pregnancy? I hope you get the answer you are looking for in a couple weeks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarineWife View Post

What do you all do? Do you follow those rules strictly or do you modify them a bit based on what you know about your own cycles and temps?
I follow the rules on coverlines 100%. Sometimes I have different patterns though like the gradual rise or fall back so that can take longer to see the O. I normally don't draw a coverline till 4 or 5 days post O.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarineWife View Post
Here's another I read that I had forgotten. I think it came up on here recently. When taking your temp, it's more important to take it after 3 hours of consecutive sleep than taking it at the same time. The example given is if you usually take your temp at 8 am but wake at 6 am to use the bathroom, you should take and record your 6 am temp because the 8 am temp will be inaccurate because you've had less than 3 hours of sleep. As far as taking it at the same time, it only needs to be within the same hour, if that makes sense. I think, though, that's all based on that not happening very often. TCOYF does say it's ok to sleep in on the weekends.
I agree. I take my temp whenever I get up and was in a deep sleep. It normally happens to be within the same hour (5:30-6:30) but some days it's 4 and some days it is 7. I never adjust my temps but if I am a few hours off of my regular time, I note it on my chart so I can discard it later if it obviously doesn't fit the pattern.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shell_Ell View Post
Hey all! I'm coming back to this thread after a long absence. I think my cycles are finally starting to resume. Our youngest son is 14.5 months and I've had two cycles now. I'm not temping at the moment, my CF has been pretty clear. I'd like to start in the future though- third phase/LP is the only time we truly relax and don't worry about BD'ing. Right now since I'm still in the transition to full fertility, my LP is super, super short.

Here's my chart:
http://www.fertilityfriend.com/home/43357

Oh, and I also teach the sympto-thermal method, so I'm happy to help. I'm not online much but I love that there's a big thread for NFP/FAM users here.
Hi! So nice that your cycles held off for so long to resume. Mine came back at 9 months PP I think

Quote:
Originally Posted by chi_mama View Post
So this is my first month charting and I had a m/c in June... so I know that things probably are irregular in my cycle this month (last month was 36 days) but am I really infertile now? I felt some OP twice this cycle but more strongly CD 21. but each day when I chart it says infertile but moves the previous days from infertile to fertile
Also I am still bfing ds but he's two so only about 2 to 3 times daily.
Any thoughts? Thanks mamas!
Sorry about the m/c As far as I know, you could ovulate at any time after a m/c. Some woman take longer then others. I didn't look at your chart but I will.

ETA: Ok your chart says July.... It looks like a possible O on CD 22 but like Marinewife said, you have to wait a couple days to find out. Your temps could just as easily go back down like in my chart. It could indicate that your body is trying to O but not quite getting there and might try again in a few days.
post #172 of 271
So after a few weeks of pretty consistent temps, my chart is looking like the zipper or mountain effect. I hate when my body goes all wacky Why can’t I just O consistently like most of the women on this planet. I get so frustrated with PCOS. Especially when DH wants to stop using condoms because it seems like forever since we DTD without one and I have to keep saying no

Ok pity party over I just had to get that out.
post #173 of 271
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by CanidFL View Post
So after a few weeks of pretty consistent temps, my chart is looking like the zipper or mountain effect. I hate when my body goes all wacky Why can’t I just O consistently like most of the women on this planet. I get so frustrated with PCOS. Especially when DH wants to stop using condoms because it seems like forever since we DTD without one and I have to keep saying no
I know how that is and I can't stand condoms, either. That's why we decided to stop using them. However, I'm not completely opposed to having another baby so I'm willing to take the slightly extra risk.

I've been meaning to ask you, with PCOS, do you get cramps or pains a lot? Mine started this cycle as soon as AF was over, cd7. I had sharp pains on my left side around where my ovary is (I think) for a couple of days and then the cramps started. The cramps are very mild compared to how they can get and I haven't needed to take anything. It just really drives me crazy that I seem to always have pain. Anyway, I've been wondering if it could be from having a bunch of cysts on my ovaries so I was wondering if you have the same pains.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shell_Ell
Oh, and I also teach the sympto-thermal method, so I'm happy to help. I'm not online much but I love that there's a big thread for NFP/FAM users here.
Great! We could definitely use an expert.
post #174 of 271
I don't think i have had 3 hours of continuous sleep since the baby was born a year ago.
post #175 of 271
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarineWife View Post
I've been meaning to ask you, with PCOS, do you get cramps or pains a lot? Mine started this cycle as soon as AF was over, cd7. I had sharp pains on my left side around where my ovary is (I think) for a couple of days and then the cramps started. The cramps are very mild compared to how they can get and I haven't needed to take anything. It just really drives me crazy that I seem to always have pain. Anyway, I've been wondering if it could be from having a bunch of cysts on my ovaries so I was wondering if you have the same pains.
Not really. I may get some pain in what feels like my ovary but it only lasts 30 min or so and that is only once a week on average. I do get really bad back cramps during AF though.

So is it normal to fantasize about other men during your fertile time : I notice this and actually put it on my paper chart. A few days in my cycle I will have dreams/fantasies about other men. I have never told DH and never acted on this but I assume it’s the hormones :
post #176 of 271
Quote:
Originally Posted by CanidFL View Post
So is it normal to fantasize about other men during your fertile time : I notice this and actually put it on my paper chart. A few days in my cycle I will have dreams/fantasies about other men. I have never told DH and never acted on this but I assume it’s the hormones :
LOL. I assume it is normal since it happens to me, too! In fact, my first cycle off hormonal BC and charting I had some, er, improper thoughts about a man I work with. When FF later declared that as my O day I decided that I would consider these thoughts 'secondary ferility signs!'
post #177 of 271
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Lilya View Post
I don't think i have had 3 hours of continuous sleep since the baby was born a year ago.
Me neither. I just do the best I can. It was the same way when I started charting again after ds2. I didn't have any trouble recognizing a biphasic pattern in my temps, though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanidFL
Not really. I may get some pain in what feels like my ovary but it only lasts 30 min or so and that is only once a week on average. I do get really bad back cramps during AF though.
AF is the only time I don't usually have cramps.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanidFL
So is it normal to fantasize about other men during your fertile time I notice this and actually put it on my paper chart. A few days in my cycle I will have dreams/fantasies about other men. I have never told DH and never acted on this but I assume it’s the hormones
I think it's perfectly normal to have all kinds of fantasies. I share mine with my dh. We get a kick out of them. He doesn't seem to be bothered by them, maybe even a little turned on at the thought that I fantasize about sex at all. I can't handle hearing about any of his fantasies of other women, though.
post #178 of 271
OMG, I had a temp spike this morning, but our AC went out last night sometime, so I have no way of knowing whether it was a real one or not. I hate outside factors that mess with my chart!:
post #179 of 271
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sk8ermaiden View Post
OMG, I had a temp spike this morning, but our AC went out last night sometime, so I have no way of knowing whether it was a real one or not. I hate outside factors that mess with my chart!:
It looks like, even without the temp spike today, you probably Oed. Do you think so?
post #180 of 271
Definitely not. I need to figure out how to change the CL in Ovusoft. My post O temps are never below 97.4 and are usually above 97.7. It's just that my temps are so stable this cycle that any small increase looks like O.

It was 10 degrees hotter in my house last night. I really think that could be it, but I hope I'm wrong. If I did, that would make this one of my shortest cycles ever.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Family Planning
Mothering › Mothering Forums › Pregnancy and Birth › Fertility › Family Planning › Charting to Avoid August Thread