small placenta & severe IUGR
Originally Posted by That Is Nice
What could cause a low birth weight baby, small placenta, and intrauterine growth retardation?
My baby was unexpectedly low birth weight (5 lbs), the placenta was quite small (half the normal weight) and showed other abnormalities (abnormal shape, color, sheen), and the doctors later said there was intrauterine growth retardation.
Interestingly enough, we had mutliple ultrasounds because we had some soft markers for other problems that turned out to be false. None of the ultrasound measurements or manual abdominal measurements (other than one that was on the low side) were off or abnormal. I measured small but always within the normal range.
In addition to the small size and small placenta, the baby had a lot of heavy meconium, low Apgars, a heart murmur, and had trouble regulating body temperature and blood sugar.
It was a planned pregnancy, I had good pre-natal care, I ate well, I've never smoked. I was not on birth control of any kind for years before pregnancy. I did not take any medications. I did not drink any alcohol. I took prenatal vitamins.
We have no known genetic conditions in either family. Cousins of my baby have all been above 6 lbs, most are in the 7 to 9 lb range.
My baby was not early (was full term) but did show signs of post-term (wrinkled skin, etc).
Any ideas for causes? Anyone else been through something similar?
Also, I want to add that my child now as a toddler has hypotonia (low muscle tone), significant speech delay, mild motor delay, and has had poor growth overall (low on the growth charts, less than 5th percentile), as well as multiple food allergies and sensory issues. I have always had terrible periods, lots of intense cramping, pain, and heavy bleeding.
this is just my theory on what cld have possibly caused this problem, but I will give you a bit of background on my own experience and why I'm doing research. My daughter is 4 years old, no problems during the pregnancy. My problems started after the labour when my placenta didn't detach(blood loss 2.5l). I have been told by a midwife that it can be a complication from being induced on syntocinon. I had a manual placental removal, bled for 6 weeks, no pain or smell. At my 6 week review I was sent for a scan, there was still some placenta inside me, I then had a d&c, during which they perforated my uterus(blood loss 1.5l). I was then monitored for about 4 weeks until all the blood behind the uterus had been absorbed. The test for placenta accreta came back negative.
My next pregnancy had endless placenta problems. Placenta previa, placenta percreta, placenta abruption. I was pregnant with id twins they had assymetry of the placenta(uneven placenta share, with one having +-25% and the other 75%) velamenous cord insertion, succenturiate lobe, small placenta 230g at 25 weeks when I lost them. The usual size of a placenta is 400-600g for a singleton and twins is usually 1.5 times larger. Abnormally shaped "freaky" placenta and TTTS(disease of the placenta, the progression of this was in the reverse order of the usual progression) My boys passing was recorded as severe IUGR (535g & 850g) and TTTS. I have related all these problems either back to scarring from uterine surgery and an implantation problem (because my uterus was too badly damaged)which causes placental problem other than 1 problem TTTS which I'm now doing research on.
I think the d&c and mpr damaged the lining of my uterus. I think I might have had an infection but not realised because I didn't have pain or a smell or temperature. I don't think my twins could implant properly, which is why they had so many placental problems.
I think you have had damage to your uterus, either by uterine surgery, there are certain infections(herpes group B, varicella zoster, human herpes 6&7) and pelvic infection(chlamydia, gonorrhea, gardnerella vaginalis, bacteroides, streptococcus b, forgetting to remove a tampon). The other thing I would consider is a retroverted uterus, leads to painfull menustration, higher chance of pelvic infection & endometriosis. Other uterine problems are fibroids, uterine synechia, lesions, tumors, ovarian cysts.
A friend of mines child was born at approx 34 weeks, weighing 1.7kg. He has occasional convulsions (she has to be carefull of putting him in cold water)and is not growing very well(both his parents are large build). She has lesions in her ovary.
I hope this might be of some help