I'm really concerned with all the "my doctor won't allow". Ladies please do some research, even with true diabetes there is often no reason to induce early and certainly your doctor has no right to "not allow" you to go past your due date, this is your body, your baby and your birth. I think there are always valid reasons to allow some medical intervention, but it should be with informed consent, not just because doctor said so. Especially since very few of these interventions have been shown by studies to be reliably beneficial. Remember, there still is NO evidence that controlling for mild diabetes increases positive outcomes at all, so while we theoretically assume that doing all this is helping our babies based on studied that looked at true diabetes in pregnancy and severe GD, the evidence isn't there, and no doctor can say that it is.
Lifeguard, I'm so sorry you are having so much trouble, it isn't your fault, this does happen sometimes and its hormones due to pregnancy, and there isn't anything you can do always to control it. However, there is no evidence that greater control of mild GD actually does anything for a birth and there is usually no reason that your sugar needs to be so incredibly tightly controlled before birth I feel your doctor is being very alarmist and perhaps setting you up for a c-section, unless your sugars are usually way over say 200? I'm glad your doctor seems to be listening to you now and that you have help managing this, but don't let them frighten you with scare stories ok?
Superflippy, you might do the research and choose to go with an induction after reading the risks of holding on and waiting for labor or inducing. My personal feeling is that induction is the less safe of the two, but I certainly wouldn't judge if you made the other decision, for different reasons I chose to be induced with my last birth. I know having had one good induction you might be inclined just to go with that again, and I don't think that is a bad choice necessarily. However, its YOUR decision, not your doctor's don't let yourself be medically bullied. Find out the true risk levels of either course of action and decide based on that. If you are concerned about placental deterioration (what docs usually worry about with insulin dependent diabetes) you can ask your doctor to do more frequent NST's after your due date.
Brandy, are you getting sick? Your sugar levels will be high if you have a cold or something. If its just a cold and it lasts only a day or two than its not even a worry, just note in your log that you were ill that day. I'm having a real problem with this though, I got sick and my numbers went way up. They seem to be coming down but not very quickly and I'm quite worried that they just aren't going to go down enough, plus after a week of this its been more than a few days of high numbers. Since they are going down I'm waiting to see what happens over the rest of this week, but if not Im going to have to go on insulin I think, and that's with already taking medication, and very good diet control since I've been doing it for four years now...sometimes the hormonal stuff just overwhelms your body and its not anyone's fault. Crossing my fingers that it does go down though, for various reasons I really want a low risk birth and I'm really dissappointed that all my hard work might be for nothing.
to everyone. Really I'm not trying to fault your own decisions, I think you are smart people who will make good choices, but especially with GD it really bothers me how many doctors railroad their patients into a high risk medicalized birth when it isn't even proven beneficial and how often they do it by putting all this pressure on the mom that she is going to "kill her baby"