She's sleeping! In the crib! OK, here's my writeup!
Went in Saturday evening for monitoring as a compromise to no induction. But I ended up changing my mind (I wasn't pressured at all) and decided to do the induction. The aforementioned paranoia and all. Also it didn't hurt that my OB was coming on to be the supervising OB that evening, so if I had to do it, I wanted it to be with her around. We started the induction with a foley cathether, and got to 4cm an hour after it was installed. My OB (and the one on call before her) were really gung ho about not using the cytotec, which made me happy. I was able to walk around etc with the foley. I got pretty crampy and they didn't expect me to go to 4cm that quickly. I was also at 50% effaced and -4 station (whaaaaat?). So then we had to start on the pitocin, which I didn't expect to do that quickly. That was around 11:30pm on Saturday. I was stuck in bed with that because they couldn't get the telemetry monitors working (surprise!) and honestly I ended up not wanting to move around too much. I sent DH out to get some food for himself around 9am, and my water broke promptly thereafter. The pressure was starting to get pretty intense. After 2-3 hours of that I went to fentanyl, which was great for all of 20 minutes, and then I got an epidural. I was crying and puking before the fentanyl and I do not regret the decision. I was on pitocin for well over 12 hours before getting an epidural and it was excruciating. I was having triple contractions with no chance to recover from them. DH was so good and wanted me to try more hypnobabies scripts (not because he didn't want me to get pain relief, but probably so I wouldn't be mad at him later!). After 17 hours total on pitocin, with some decelerations of baby's heartbeat (not a surprise!), I was 5cm, -3, 80% effaced. I made the decision to do a c-section and I have ZERO regrets! I seriously believe that this baby was NOT COMING DOWN.
My baby Allegra Faye was born at 6:14pm on Sunday December 14, 2008! She weighed 9 lbs 3.3 oz, 20.5 inches long, and a head circumference of 34.5cm!!! I incubated a hugely giant baby!
Unfortunately the c-section has caused some breastfeeding problems - she lost 14 oz in her first day and we HAD to supplement (14 oz is acceptable after a week, but not one day). She was dehydrated and just lost way too much weight. I am offering both breasts at each feeding (she hates the right one), feeding through a syringe, and then pumping. We pretty much just have to wait it out until my milk comes in. So that was an unfortunate consequence of the c-section (didn't get that initial bonding time), but also could be just because she's humongous and I'm not really producing colostrum, just a bit of milk. She didn't even sleep at all until we gave her a formula feeding. It was really a relief. I am still upset at giving her formula at all but I'll get over it.
The OBs signed my discharge orders Tuesday morning (1.5 days after my section! Apparently this is unusual, but I feel pretty darn good), but we only came home today because we wanted to make sure things were fine with baby. I am happy to report that she's doing great, just wanting my milk to come in SOON. The same thing happened to my friend that had a GD baby and she went to EBF as soon as her milk came in so I am hopeful.
One thing I found out is that GD goes away slower for c-sections and non-diet controlled GD. But I just realized I ate like 3 slices of pound cake (yeah, sue me, I wanted some flour and sugar in the worst way) and my BS isn't too high, so it's going away!
Please ask anything I forgot! This past sunday I was 41w - my OB had wanted to induce at 40w, but honestly I don't think it would have made a difference in the outcome.